North East Buses
X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company (/showthread.php?tid=2593)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Andreos1 - 27 Jul 2020

(26 Jul 2020, 10:15 pm)deanmachine I’d speculate promises from Volvo that the B5TL was a suitable replacement to the B9TL with its twin turbos and fancy tech. Clearly not in the same league when it comes to hauling double deckers at speed. It’s all well and good having the same performance, but useless if it can’t be had reliably, and reliability would be hard to test on a demonstration, you’d have to rely on promises from Volvo. 

It’s a shame really, Volvo have effectively lost their hold as being the go to double decker chassis in the UK due to the B5TL being nowhere near as good as it’s predecessors.

I can see the adverts now.

'have you been missold a bus recently? If you have, call 0800 805 805 for a chat with one of our friendly advisors. We can tell you straight away, whether you have a chance of claiming thousands in compensation after being missold a bus - on a nowin/no fee status'.

'we make your BUSiness, our business'.

I'll get my coat.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - WestDurhamSwift - 27 Jul 2020

(26 Jul 2020, 4:20 pm)Dan Semi-related; ahead of the coaches transferring north, X9|X10 branded Volvo B5TLs 6308 - 6314 have now been taken out of service at Riverside, and generic X-lines branded 6334/35 have transferred to Chester-le-Street.

6308 - 6314 have been taken out of service to be repainted and also to allow for some mechanical upgrades to be completed prior to their transfer to Chester-le-Street, ironing out a couple of the recent niggles they've had while operating the X9/X10 services. Taking their place on the X9/X10 services until the coaches transfer north are Volvo B9TLs (6043/44 from Riverside's own fleet allocation, 6048 from Hexham's allocation, 6084-86 from Deptford's allocation and 6099/6100 from Percy Main's allocation).

[Image: 50155704752_5fd710fa9b.jpg]Go North East: 6085 / NL63YHN by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

100% should of got the 3 open toppers on there, going down the A19 with no roof! The Dream.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 27 Jul 2020

(27 Jul 2020, 7:16 pm)Arcticrossy92 100% should of got the 3 open toppers on there, going down the A19 with no roof! The Dream.
You'd get a good view of the crash you'd inevitably drive past!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Dan - 28 Jul 2020

Moderator note: All of the speculation posts about the new ADL Enviro400s and StreetDecks and consequent speculation on service changes has been moved here.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 28 Jul 2020

I wonder what GNE's stance be on seatbelts for X9/X10 passengers once the coaches are rolled out

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Big O - 29 Jul 2020

I never liked the idea of the B5 having such a small engine, it’s ridiculous and provides a false economy. What they should have done was to redesign the B9 if anything. The B9 with its Renault engine is such a robust vehicle and despite it being thirsty it pays you in its reliability.

Had Firstbus been successful in their attempt to get Wright to body the N230UD, you would of had a real bus there. It’s a shame because on a route such as the X9 and 10 no manufacturers are going to make a bus near reliable for its needs and I think the Coaches are the way forward.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 29 Jul 2020

(29 Jul 2020, 3:21 am)Big O I never liked the idea of the B5 having such a small engine, it’s ridiculous and provides a false economy. What they should have done was to redesign the B9 if anything. The B9 with its Renault engine is such a robust vehicle and despite it being thirsty it pays you in its reliability.

Had Firstbus been successful in their attempt to get Wright to body the N230UD, you would of had a real bus there. It’s a shame because on a route such as the X9 and 10 no manufacturers are going to make a bus near reliable for its needs and I think the Coaches are the way forward.

The thing is though, the B9 wasn't exactly the pinnacle of reliability either, the X9/X10 pretty much killed those as well!

The B5s seem to be fairly rock solid with other operators on less demanding routes, plus GNE's Hybrid B5s seem to have done quite well.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - James101 - 29 Jul 2020

The B5s have been a particularly weak link in the chain of buses on the X10. The Volvo Ollys, then B7s, then B9s all had about 7 years tenure on the route before being replaced about half-way through their service life, which sounds about right for the nature of the X10. The B5s haven’t managed 3 years.

I agree the interdecks are the right choice for the X10 right now. Just hope it works out for GNE as it’ll be hard to spin a future downgrade to buses should the need occur.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Malarkey - 29 Jul 2020

(26 Jul 2020, 4:20 pm)Dan Semi-related; ahead of the coaches transferring north, X9|X10 branded Volvo B5TLs 6308 - 6314 have now been taken out of service at Riverside, and generic X-lines branded 6334/35 have transferred to Chester-le-Street.

6308 - 6314 have been taken out of service to be repainted and also to allow for some mechanical upgrades to be completed prior to their transfer to Chester-le-Street, ironing out a couple of the recent niggles they've had while operating the X9/X10 services. Taking their place on the X9/X10 services until the coaches transfer north are Volvo B9TLs (6043/44 from Riverside's own fleet allocation, 6048 from Hexham's allocation, 6084-86 from Deptford's allocation and 6099/6100 from Percy Main's allocation).

[Image: 50155704752_5fd710fa9b.jpg]Go North East: 6085 / NL63YHN by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

6086 on the X10 this afternoon - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/50166688508/in/dateposted-public/

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Andreos1 - 29 Jul 2020

(29 Jul 2020, 6:16 pm)James101 The B5s have been a particularly weak link in the chain of buses on the X10. The Volvo Ollys, then B7s, then B9s all had about 7 years tenure on the route before being replaced about half-way through their service life, which sounds about right for the nature of the X10. The B5s haven’t managed 3 years.

I agree the interdecks are the right choice for the X10 right now. Just hope it works out for GNE as it’ll be hard to spin a future downgrade to buses should the need occur. 

I'm sure the marketing and questionaire people are on it already! Sample size 6... 95% responds are in favour of a larger vehicle.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - mb134 - 29 Jul 2020

(29 Jul 2020, 6:16 pm)James101 I agree the interdecks are the right choice for the X10 right now. Just hope it works out for GNE as it’ll be hard to spin a future downgrade to buses should the need occur.

I'd imagine this is likely one of the biggest worries about the X9/X10 at the moment. Going forward, post-Covid, will it be able to justify new coaches a few years down the line once these ones start showing their age (bearing in mind they're already 5)?

I'd suspect not, and I also think it unlikely that they'd find 7 in good enough nick on the second hand market as they have this time around. So then it's back to deckers, and I wouldn't like to think what's going to be on the market then - a 1.2 litre engine from a Corsa with 10 turbochargers trying to power a decker seems likely going from the trends of the past decade. 

Of course, I definitely believe the coaches going on will improve reliability and it's what the service has been crying out for for years. It's just whether post-Covid there will be sufficient passenger numbers to justify similar investment in the future, especially given the improving rail network along the same corridor.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - omnicity4659 - 29 Jul 2020

(28 Jul 2020, 11:40 pm)streetdeckfan I wonder what GNE's stance be on seatbelts for X9/X10 passengers once the coaches are rolled out

If they're fitted with seatbelts then there is no stance other than the law - the onus is on you to wear them.

What's the situation for under-14s to wear them? I know I'd be liable for any action caused by them not wearing them in my car, would the same apply to a PSV driver?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - deanmachine - 29 Jul 2020

(29 Jul 2020, 7:31 pm)omnicity4659 If they're fitted with seatbelts then there is no stance other than the law - the onus is on you to wear them.

What's the situation for under-14s to wear them? I know I'd be liable for any action caused by them not wearing them in my car, would the same apply to a PSV driver?

Under 14s should generally be under supervision especially on an inter-urban express service, so the onus should be on their parents.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - L469 YVK - 29 Jul 2020

(29 Jul 2020, 7:22 pm)mb134 I'd imagine this is likely one of the biggest worries about the X9/X10 at the moment. Going forward, post-Covid, will it be able to justify new coaches a few years down the line once these ones start showing their age (bearing in mind they're already 5)?

I'd suspect not, and I also think it unlikely that they'd find 7 in good enough nick on the second hand market as they have this time around. So then it's back to deckers, and I wouldn't like to think what's going to be on the market then - a 1.2 litre engine from a Corsa with 10 turbochargers trying to power a decker seems likely going from the trends of the past decade. 

Of course, I definitely believe the coaches going on will improve reliability and it's what the service has been crying out for for years. It's just whether post-Covid there will be sufficient passenger numbers to justify similar investment in the future, especially given the improving rail network along the same corridor.
Coaches have quite a long shelf life compared  to normal double deck buses. They're designed for long distance work. I reckon GoNE will keep them until they're at least 10-12 year old.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - mb134 - 29 Jul 2020

(29 Jul 2020, 8:39 pm)L469 YVK Coaches have quite a long shelf life compared  to normal double deck buses. They're designed for long distance work. I reckon GoNE will keep them until they're at least 10-12 year old.

Yes, which is what I mean. In a few years time, companies will have had time to determine whether or not office/home working is preferable, as well as punters deciding whether they prefer the improving rail service etc. Bring all that together and I very much doubt that by 2025, say, the X9/X10 will be in a position to command brand new coaching stock - although I'd love for the route to prove me wrong on that!

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - James101 - 29 Jul 2020

(29 Jul 2020, 8:59 pm)mb134 Yes, which is what I mean. In a few years time, companies will have had time to determine whether or not office/home working is preferable, as well as punters deciding whether they prefer the improving rail service etc. Bring all that together and I very much doubt that by 2025, say, the X9/X10 will be in a position to command brand new coaching stock - although I'd love for the route to prove me wrong on that!

Though there's a sound logic to justifying investment in 7 coaches every 12 years rather than 7 buses every 7 years. If Northern Coaching is here to stay then this could be a steady outlet fo semi-retiring the coaches coming off the X10 in future years.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - GuyParkRoyal - 30 Jul 2020

Registration for X9/X10 with date for service change.

PB0003954/823 Registered (Short notice)
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Route: Newcastle Newgate Street to Peterlee Bus Station
Service number: X9 (X10)
Service type: Flexible Registration, Limited Stop, Normal Stopping
Effective date: 05 Sep 2020

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - idiot - 30 Jul 2020

Flexible registration? Does that mean different routes because of traffic congestion?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Stanleyone - 30 Jul 2020

(30 Jul 2020, 11:28 am)GuyParkRoyal Registration for X9/X10 with date for service change.

PB0003954/823 Registered (Short notice)
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Route: Newcastle Newgate Street to Peterlee Bus Station
Service number: X9 (X10)
Service type: Flexible Registration, Limited Stop, Normal Stopping
Effective date: 05 Sep 2020
Chance to be starting outside Laus202 restaurant.

(30 Jul 2020, 2:36 pm)idiot Flexible registration? Does that mean different routes because of traffic congestion?
More than likely or does evening X10 cover both routes?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - busmanT - 31 Jul 2020

(30 Jul 2020, 2:42 pm)Stanleyone Chance to be starting outside Laus202 restaurant.

More than likely or does evening X10 cover both routes?
I can't see the change of terminus doing very much positive for passenger loadings - lack of interchange opportunities, nowhere for the large queue to wait under cover etc