North East Buses
X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company (/showthread.php?tid=2593)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Stanleyone - 31 Jul 2020

(31 Jul 2020, 8:47 am)busmanT I can't see the change of terminus doing very much positive for passenger loadings - lack of interchange opportunities, nowhere for the large queue to wait under cover etc
Maybe a shelter might be erected by the council. Plenty on the opposite side of the road not being used.

Services aren't heading into Eldon Square from Central Ststion at the minute, hasn't been any complaints at the moment tbh either.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Andreos1 - 31 Jul 2020

(31 Jul 2020, 10:20 am)Stanleyone Maybe a shelter might be erected by the council. Plenty on the opposite side of the road not being used.

Services aren't heading into Eldon Square from Central Ststion at the minute, hasn't been any complaints at the moment tbh either. 

Any or none that you're aware of? 
Either way, it is the summer and the majority of punters will be essential workers (I was having a conversation with a mate who lives in western Gateshead about his mooch up to the work now versus walking up from Eldon Square and straight up St Thomas St).
As it stands, it's not a cold, windy December with people carting about a boat load of Christmas shopping about.
Time will tell whether the move to 'on street' stops will work. It might be worth seeing what the punters on Market St or Grainger St think about a shelter vs a covered bus station.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - citaro5284 - 31 Jul 2020

Is it a case that it is out of GNE's hands and that Nexus are not allowing the coaches in for some reason

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Big O - 31 Jul 2020

(31 Jul 2020, 3:11 pm)citaro5284 Is it a case that it is out of GNE's hands and that Nexus are not allowing the coaches in for some reason

But they allow a certain operator to continually breach the terms of their contract. Weird.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Storx - 31 Jul 2020

(31 Jul 2020, 3:11 pm)citaro5284 Is it a case that it is out of GNE's hands and that Nexus are not allowing the coaches in for some reason

I can imagine it's because their too long so they'd either block other stands with the first few or block the road altogether on the right stands. There's also nowhere for them to layover so it would mean you'd have to have a stand dedicated to them and with the amount of buses that use Eldon Square it'll cause problems.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - busmanT - 02 Aug 2020

(31 Jul 2020, 10:20 am)Stanleyone Maybe a shelter might be erected by the council. Plenty on the opposite side of the road not being used.

Services aren't heading into Eldon Square from Central Station at the minute, hasn't been any complaints at the moment tbh either.
From my observations, there aren't that many travelling to get any realistic feedback about being set down at Newgate Street. Of course, having been set down you go off to your destination quickly.

Being picked up is a different matter, having to arrive early and stand waiting for your bus. No seats and no shelter must put passengers off, especially the elderly -  as will having to go upstairs on the coach.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 02 Aug 2020

(02 Aug 2020, 10:31 am)busmanT From my observations, there aren't that many travelling to get any realistic feedback about being set down at Newgate Street. Of course, having been set down you go off to your destination quickly.

Being picked up is a different matter, having to arrive early and stand waiting for your bus. No seats and no shelter must put passengers off, especially the elderly -  as will having to go upstairs on the coach.

It's not that many steps to get upstairs though is it, or at least not as bad as a regular decker, and are there not a few seats downstairs anyway for those who can't get up the stairs?
Plus, the fact the staircase is right beside the driver might stop them driving away whilst you're still on the stairs, which seems to be the main issue with older people. 

I'd guess that the elderly who use the X9/X10 (which, tbh I haven't seen that many) would just travel to Gateshead and catch it from there instead. That's what I'd do anyway

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Dan - 02 Aug 2020

(02 Aug 2020, 10:31 am)busmanT From my observations, there aren't that many travelling to get any realistic feedback about being set down at Newgate Street. Of course, having been set down you go off to your destination quickly.

If the service is picking up and dropping off opposite St Andrew's Church, then this is a double bus-stop, and the coach will presumably be able to set down here for the entire duration of its layover period (approx 20 mins) and let people on as soon as it arrives. I doubt many passengers turn up more than 20 minutes early to the bus stop.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 02 Aug 2020

(02 Aug 2020, 10:53 am)Dan If the service is picking up and dropping off opposite St Andrew's Church, then this is a double bus-stop, and the coach will presumably be able to set down here for the entire duration of its layover period (approx 20 mins) and let people on as soon as it arrives. I doubt many passengers turn up more than 20 minutes early to the bus stop.

I suppose it depends if they're making a connection and the times just don't line up (as is always the case!), but then again it's not as if it's in the middle of nowhere, you can just have a walk about until it arrives. I usually go and get a coffee if I have more than a 5 minute wait.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - mb134 - 02 Aug 2020

(02 Aug 2020, 10:45 am)streetdeckfan It's not that many steps to get upstairs though is it, or at least not as bad as a regular decker, and are there not a few seats downstairs anyway for those who can't get up the stairs?
Plus, the fact the staircase is right beside the driver might stop them driving away whilst you're still on the stairs, which seems to be the main issue with older people. 

I'd guess that the elderly who use the X9/X10 (which, tbh I haven't seen that many) would just travel to Gateshead and catch it from there instead. That's what I'd do anyway

Not too many steps, no, but the staircase is quite steep which is generally the main complaint about the ones operated by Stagecoach Bluebird. 

There are seats downstairs yes, but from memory only three and I'm not sure if they'll currently be in use due to Covid.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Dan - 02 Aug 2020

(02 Aug 2020, 10:56 am)streetdeckfan I suppose it depends if they're making a connection and the times just don't line up (as is always the case!), but then again it's not as if it's in the middle of nowhere, you can just have a walk about until it arrives. I usually go and get a coffee if I have more than a 5 minute wait.

Indeed, The Gate is nearby which provides an indoor area for passengers.

I think it's fairly obvious that Go North East wouldn't wish to come out of Eldon Square Bus Station, if they had a choice in the matter.

(02 Aug 2020, 10:58 am)mb134 Not too many steps, no, but the staircase is quite steep which is generally the main complaint about the ones operated by Stagecoach Bluebird. 

There are seats downstairs yes, but from memory only three and I'm not sure if they'll currently be in use due to Covid.

If the seats are out of use, then surely they'd have to block off disabled access as well which would be a big no-no

(02 Aug 2020, 10:59 am)Dan Indeed, The Gate is nearby which provides an indoor area for passengers.

I think it's fairly obvious that Go North East wouldn't wish to come out of Eldon Square Bus Station, if they had a choice in the matter.

Perhaps it's time for a dedicated X-Lines lounge!

So is it down to the length that they've had to leave because they seem to navigate about alright?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - mb134 - 02 Aug 2020

(02 Aug 2020, 11:05 am)streetdeckfan If the seats are out of use, then surely they'd have to block off disabled access as well which would be a big no-no

I'd imagine that the wheelchair space would be fine - I can't remember exactly if it was all 3, but I'm sure on Twitter posts from Bluebird when they were put back into service the seats behind the cab were marked out of use.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Rob44 - 02 Aug 2020

i wouldn't like to try turning left out of Eldon sq bus station in one of those. the front end with encroach quite a bit onto the other side of the road i would think

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - tyresmoke - 02 Aug 2020

(02 Aug 2020, 10:53 am)Dan If the service is picking up and dropping off opposite St Andrew's Church, then this is a double bus-stop, and the coach will presumably be able to set down here for the entire duration of its layover period (approx 20 mins) and let people on as soon as it arrives. I doubt many passengers turn up more than 20 minutes early to the bus stop.
Having used the X9/X10 numerous times over the years I beg to differ on this point Wink Quite often the queue is at least 20 people by 15-20 mins before departure on the peak journeys at Eldon Square. Of course there's enough seats for everyone so it's never an issue for me but people do seem to get there earlier for longer distance (and less frequent I guess) services.

(02 Aug 2020, 11:50 am)Rob44 i wouldn't like to try turning left out of Eldon sq bus station in one of those. the front end with encroach quite a bit onto the other side of the road i would think
I'd not like to try it either, the tailswing would more than likely get close to the lights on the island unless you went right onto the other side of the road, and that's not always possible at Eldon Sq!

(02 Aug 2020, 11:59 am)tyresmoke Having used the X9/X10 numerous times over the years I beg to differ on this point Wink Quite often the queue is at least 20 people by 15-20 mins before departure on the peak journeys at Eldon Square. Of course there's enough seats for everyone so it's never an issue for me but people do seem to get there earlier for longer distance (and less frequent I guess) services.

That's a pre-COVID experience, though, don't forget. The evening peak is not the same as what it was, and I dare say it'll never be the same again. There'll be a lot of companies that close down offices and encourage staff to work from home permanently now.

The main reason people would turn up 20 minutes early for a service is to make sure they get a seat. You'd see the same happen in Middlesbrough on the X93 over the summer months too. Presuming that capacity returns to 100% in time, I'd suggest that it'll be a long time before we're in that situation again.

Realistically anyone waiting more than 20 minutes would probably be on the service which ran 30 minutes prior. You're not going to get many that start waiting five minutes after the previous service departed.

(02 Aug 2020, 12:01 pm)Dan That's a pre-COVID experience, though, don't forget. The evening peak is not the same as what it was, and I dare say it'll never be the same again. There'll be a lot of companies that close down offices and encourage staff to work from home permanently now.

The main reason people would turn up 20 minutes early for a service is to make sure they get a seat. You'd see the same happen in Middlesbrough on the X93 over the summer months too. Presuming that capacity returns to 100% in time, I'd suggest that it'll be a long time before we're in that situation again.

Realistically anyone waiting more than 20 minutes would probably be on the service which ran 30 minutes prior. You're not going to get many that start waiting five minutes after the previous service departed.

I used to do exactly that with the X21, if I'm sitting 2 hours on a bus, there's no way am I not having a table (especially with the lack of legroom on the StreetDecks)

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - busmanT - 04 Aug 2020

I'm assuming it will use stop 08NC20 then, already used by the 21 and Q3. Are these still going to use it as well?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - ne14ne1 - 04 Aug 2020

(04 Aug 2020, 10:43 am)busmanT I'm assuming it will use stop 08NC20 then, already used by the 21 and Q3. Are these still going to use it as well?

Would be interesting if so. I've been on a 21 a few times approaching there when a Quaylink is sat laying over, blocking the view of any would-be passengers and the driver hasn't slowed to check if anyone was stood there wanting a 21.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 05 Aug 2020

(04 Aug 2020, 11:09 am)ne14ne1 Would be interesting if so. I've been on a 21 a few times approaching there when a Quaylink is sat laying over, blocking the view of any would-be passengers and the driver hasn't slowed to check if anyone was stood there wanting a 21.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I'm waiting at a stop that's used by several services, and a vehicle is already at the stop, I always wait at the back of the vehicle so I can see when my bus is arriving.