North East Buses
X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company (/showthread.php?tid=2593)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - GNE6312 - 25 Jan 2021

(25 Jan 2021, 7:25 pm)Ambassador It does look the business, it’d be nice to see the 685 get some sort of upgrade from Arriva/SC but I’d guess less people use that as point to point versus the X9/10 so it wouldn’t warrant the investment
Yeah the 685 has been coaches before with arriva using primas so I'm sure they could easily get some brand new, 2nd hand or some dealer stock coaches (I'm sure arriva have their own bus and coach dealers in Yorkshire). The X15 & X20 would also be good candidates for coaches too again they had the primas.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Rapidsnap - 25 Jan 2021

Not anymore, Arriva Bus and Coach has / is closing down. Plus the 685 has more short haul passengers than the X9/X10 which stops mainly in key locations.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - V514DFT - 26 Jan 2021

The Purple X-Lines livery is my favourite so far

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - ne14ne1 - 02 Feb 2021

Is it just the two Interdecks here so far?

Any news on the remainder coming (how many will there be in total?), and when they’ll likely enter service following driving training?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - NewcastleOne - 02 Feb 2021

(02 Feb 2021, 1:47 pm)ne14ne1 Is it just the two Interdecks here so far?

Any news on the remainder coming (how many will there be in total?), and when they’ll likely enter service following driving training?
7152/3/5 are here and branded with 7154 at least painted afaik

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 02 Feb 2021

As per the latest fleet news update currently delivered is (assuming i haven't manage to screw up my copy and pasting)

7150 - OW15 WJZ - re-registered to GO02 MBR (quite possibly the worst private plate I've ever seen)
7152 - OW15 WKB - re-registered to XL09 NCL
7153 - OW15 WKC - re-registered to XL10 NCL
7154 - OW15 WKD - re-registered to X9 XLS
7155 - OW15 WKE - re-registered to X10 LNE
7156 - OW15 WKF - re-registered to X10 XLS

Having done a bit of checking on the DVLA site, GO02 NCL has also been registered so I'd imagine that'll go on 7151

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - L469 YVK - 02 Feb 2021

Is the seating capacity on these 66?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - ne14ne1 - 02 Feb 2021

The 9 and 10 private plates, fair enough I get what they’ve done and they don’t look too old, but GO02 MBR just says 2002 to me.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - citaro5284 - 02 Feb 2021

(02 Feb 2021, 8:07 pm)L469 YVK Is the seating capacity on these 66?
Yes

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - JP6004 - 02 Feb 2021

(02 Feb 2021, 8:15 pm)ne14ne1 The 9 and 10 private plates, fair enough I get what they’ve done and they don’t look too old, but GO02 MBR just says 2002 to me.
Says Go 2 Middlesbrough for me

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 02 Feb 2021

(02 Feb 2021, 8:20 pm)JP6004 Says Go 2 Middlesbrough for me

Goo 2 Middlesbrough

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Andreos1 - 02 Feb 2021

(02 Feb 2021, 8:20 pm)JP6004 Says Go 2 Middlesbrough for me

Wonder if there's a 'come straight back from Middlesbrough' plate?

Anyway, it's Go Middlesbrough to me. 
An offshoot of GNE?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - busmanT - 03 Feb 2021

(02 Feb 2021, 4:34 pm)streetdeckfan As per the latest fleet news update currently delivered is (assuming i haven't manage to screw up my copy and pasting)

7150 - OW15 WJZ - re-registered to GO02 MBR (quite possibly the worst private plate I've ever seen)
7152 - OW15 WKB - re-registered to XL09 NCL
7153 - OW15 WKC - re-registered to XL10 NCL
7154 - OW15 WKD - re-registered to X9 XLS
7155 - OW15 WKE - re-registered to X10 LNE
7156 - OW15 WKF - re-registered to X10 XLS

Having done a bit of checking on the DVLA site, GO02 NCL has also been registered so I'd imagine that'll go on 7151
Seems like a waste of money to me, especially in the middle of a pandemic - I doubt the normal passengers will notice.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 03 Feb 2021

(03 Feb 2021, 11:11 pm)busmanT Seems like a waste of money to me, especially in the middle of a pandemic - I doubt the normal passengers will notice.

They probably spent no more than £500 a plate getting them re-registered, which I'd imagine is nothing compared to getting them upseated, re-approved, and even re-painted

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Andreos1 - 04 Feb 2021

(03 Feb 2021, 11:11 pm)busmanT Seems like a waste of money to me, especially in the middle of a pandemic - I doubt the normal passengers will notice.

It's those priorities again. 
I think the coaches are a positive step-change in what has been used recently, but like all the repaints, the faffing around with blinds, fluorescent lights on the sides of buses - these plates aren't really that important in the grand scheme of things.
Certainly not, compared to the ensuring the network is fit for purpose and people can get where they need to be. 
It's all fine and well having these things, but if it takes 2 or 3 buses to get to the hospital for appointments or  it's not possible to get home from a shift...
Sorting those things are the priority imo. Not cherished plates.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Dan - 04 Feb 2021

(04 Feb 2021, 11:04 am)Andreos1 It's those priorities again. 
I think the coaches are a positive step-change in what has been used recently, but like all the repaints, the faffing around with blinds, fluorescent lights on the sides of buses - these plates aren't really that important in the grand scheme of things.
Certainly not, compared to the ensuring the network is fit for purpose and people can get where they need to be. 
It's all fine and well having these things, but if it takes 2 or 3 buses to get to the hospital for appointments or  it's not possible to get home from a shift...
Sorting those things are the priority imo. Not cherished plates.

You have voiced this opinion lots of times recently, and it's rare that others contribute afterwards (I too have resisted comment until now), but couldn't you say much of this about every bus operator in the region?

Over the last few years especially; each of the 'big three' has reduced service levels, covering gaps as best as they can, in order to reduce costs and increase profitability. You have your views on this, and have voiced them in the past many times over the years, but this is the business model of bus companies, and you know that (despite the views and opinions you may have on it). These service reductions do obviously come at the detriment of the customer, and operators' desires to maintain as many links as possible probably adds layers of complexity to the network too. Very little has been done to develop the network and implement real, noticeable improvements. This is unfortunate, I agree.

The current funding arrangements (CBSSG) prevent operators from making significant changes to their networks, which is why services such as the 925 and 938 exist in Go North East's network currently. Go North East has made very minor changes to its network in response to customer feedback and by identifying gaps in the market where there is potential, such as the diversion of services 83/84 via Peel Retail Park, and the extension of the 10B service to Tyneview Retail Park.

Unlike most other operators in the country who have simply stood still during the past 10 months, Go North East has continued to invest and use this as an opportunity to deliver a positive impact in what they are able to control, which is their marketing and promotion of bus services (i.e. everything which, in your view, isn't important). Clearly it would not be ethical to promote bus use right now, when the government guidance is that passengers should only be making essential trips only on public transport, but repainting and refurbishing the fleet, and making real improvements in terms of the quality on-board, means that the company will be in a position to better promote their services as we emerge out of the current pandemic. Clearly we have opposing views here, but in the absence of being able to make a difference with the network right now, I think Go North East's actions over the last ten months are commendable.

I am not suggesting that everything Go North East has done of late will deliver improvements and allow the company to be in better standing to increase patronage post-COVID, such as your examples of the 'faffing around' with destination displays. Clearly that's not related, and the fact such changes have been avoided until the current MD's tenure would suggest who is responsible for it, but in the current climate the alternative would of course be to go down the route that Arriva has, where marketing teams have been centralised, and as we were reminded elsewhere on the forum recently, commercial team headcounts reduced, delivering absolutely no benefits whatsoever to their passengers.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Rapidsnap - 04 Feb 2021

To be fair, the rear registration of the coach is about eye level for any car driver following behind. So if a car is stuck in traffic behind the coach, they prob notice the registration and have a little thought, thats a clever plate, then draw their attention to read the rest of the rear of the bus / coach. If you look at the Oxford Bus Company, they've used personalised plates for years. And GNE have used them for years too, mainly they were used on NatEx coaches and B10BLE 4840. These days they aren't used on the NatEx coaches and used instead on the local fleet. Other operators do it too, namely Stagecoach have a number of private plates in use on various coaches and management vehicles. Sometimes these Private plates can be sold on for a good sum. The plate from MetroRider 403 (M3GYP) was sold to a local enthusiast.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 04 Feb 2021

(04 Feb 2021, 12:39 pm)Dan You have voiced this opinion lots of times recently, and it's rare that others contribute afterwards (I too have resisted comment until now), but couldn't you say much of this about every bus operator in the region?

Over the last few years especially; each of the 'big three' has reduced service levels, covering gaps as best as they can, in order to reduce costs and increase profitability. You have your views on this, and have voiced them in the past many times over the years, but this is the business model of bus companies, and you know that (despite the views and opinions you may have on it). These service reductions do obviously come at the detriment of the customer, and operators' desires to maintain as many links as possible probably adds layers of complexity to the network too. Very little has been done to develop the network and implement real, noticeable improvements. This is unfortunate, I agree.

The current funding arrangements (CBSSG) prevent operators from making significant changes to their networks, which is why services such as the 925 and 938 exist in Go North East's network currently. Go North East has made very minor changes to its network in response to customer feedback and by identifying gaps in the market where there is potential, such as the diversion of services 83/84 via Peel Retail Park, and the extension of the 10B service to Tyneview Retail Park.

Unlike most other operators in the country who have simply stood still during the past 10 months, Go North East has continued to invest and use this as an opportunity to deliver a positive impact in what they are able to control, which is their marketing and promotion of bus services (i.e. everything which, in your view, isn't important). Clearly it would not be ethical to promote bus use right now, when the government guidance is that passengers should only be making essential trips only on public transport, but repainting and refurbishing the fleet, and making real improvements in terms of the quality on-board, means that the company will be in a position to better promote their services as we emerge out of the current pandemic. Clearly we have opposing views here, but in the absence of being able to make a difference with the network right now, I think Go North East's actions over the last ten months are commendable.

I am not suggesting that everything Go North East has done of late will deliver improvements and allow the company to be in better standing to increase patronage post-COVID, such as your examples of the 'faffing around' with destination displays. Clearly that's not related, and the fact such changes have been avoided until the current MD's tenure would suggest who is responsible for it, but in the current climate the alternative would of course be to go down the route that Arriva has, where marketing teams have been centralised, and as we were reminded elsewhere on the forum recently, commercial team headcounts reduced, delivering absolutely no benefits whatsoever to their passengers.

Totally agree (we need the like button back!)

The unfortunate issue is that direct bus services between everywhere just aren't viable. 

As a passenger, I personally prefer the 'hub and spoke' model when it comes to public transport, I find it much more convenient and logical. I can get to basically anywhere important with one change, and pretty much everywhere else with 2 changes.
And in quite a few cases I can think of it's actually faster to change than use the direct service.
Plus, I'd rather have to take 3 buses to the hospital than not be able to get there at all because not enough passengers used the service that was direct.

As for the bit about all these 'non-important' changes, isn't this the perfect time to try new things out?

Passenger numbers are way down, so messing about with the layout of the destination displays aren't really going to be affecting that many people, and the people travelling are presumably regular users of the bus network (since no leisure travel is allowed) so know what they're doing.

With vehicle requirements being lower, it's the perfect time to have vehicles out of service being refurbished and repainted.

And with these useless features that are a waste of money:
  • Those fluorescent lights on the sides of the buses (which, not to be pedantic or owt, are actually LED strips) are actually really useful at lighting up the bus stop at night, many a times I've got off the bus into a massive puddle because I couldn't see!
  • The tables allow people to work on the bus, I for one always have my laptop out and get work done on the bus, which would be nigh on impossible with the standard seating layout as there's not enough room to open the laptop properly.
  • USB ports and sockets are actually incredibly useful, I use my phone a lot and with mobile ticketing having a topped up battery can mean the difference between getting home and being stranded
  • WiFi can be useful, although the 100mb data limit makes it basically useless for me

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - idiot - 04 Feb 2021

The USBs are useless. That slow at charging. Tend to stick to my power bank.. Unless I'm on Prince Bishops or fab 56s with proper plugs!

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - 6049 - 04 Feb 2021

(04 Feb 2021, 2:01 pm)idiot The USBs are useless. That slow at charging. Tend to stick to my power bank.. Unless I'm on Prince Bishops or fab 56s with proper plugs!
Depends on if you've got the right cable. My old phone which "fast charging", was full from about 40% in about 3/4 of an hour on one of the new StreetDecks. My new phone with the same lead charged about 10-15% in around 15mins which isn't bad. I can't use the wireless chargers though as my phone case must be too thick to allow it to work at full efficiency.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk