North East Buses
X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company (/showthread.php?tid=2593)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - cbma06 - 23 Feb 2021

(23 Feb 2021, 8:00 pm)MichealAaron I just thought it would be easier to withdraw the X9 as the X10 does the X9 route on a Sunday and Evening anyway and with the current lockdown. Wouldn't it be easier to make the X10 every 30 mins

At present in this pandemic there’s no demand for the X10 to run every 30 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there a problem with 6377 tonight, destination blind was not in service , parked up on stand for Newcastle at Peterlee bus station, the bus was stationary at least 30 minutes onwards

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Andreos1 - 23 Feb 2021

(23 Feb 2021, 8:05 pm)cbma06 At present in this pandemic there’s no demand for the X10 to run every 30 minutes

Was there a problem with 6377 tonight, destination blind was not in service , parked up on stand for Newcastle at Peterlee bus station, the bus was stationary at least 30 minutes onwards

They've reported a breakdown on the route tonight. Not sure if it's 6377 or something else.

X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - big mac - 25 Feb 2021

With the ticketing, is the fact that to use the x9/X10 requires it's own separate day ticket something that causes confusion amongst passengers or not? I can just imagine someone getting on with a normal go north east day ticket and bring surprised that it isn't valid on the service.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 25 Feb 2021

(25 Feb 2021, 6:31 pm)big mac With the ticketing, is the fact that to use the x9/X10 requires it's own separate day ticket something that causes confusion amongst passengers or not? I can just imagine someone getting on with a normal go north east day ticket and bring surprised that it isn't valid on the service.

I would think so, especially if they're connecting from another service first.

If you buy an All Zone ticket in Stanley, get to Newcastle and realise you can't actually use it on the GNE service to Middlesbrough. You'd be pretty annoyed having to buy yet another day ticket.

I'd imagine the average person wouldn't think to ask for an X9/X10 Plus ticket (or whatever stupid name it has) when they're boarding the X30

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - JACK6081 - 25 Feb 2021

I see east yorkshire 90 transferring to go north east assuming it'll be a spare or for rail reps etc

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Benny - 25 Feb 2021

(23 Feb 2021, 7:59 pm)Storx The train takes the same time as the bus end to end. Trains for a commuter are a hell of a lot more desirable as if a train takes 85 minutes, it'll take 85 minutes. If a bus takes 85 minutes, it might take 85 minutes but that's depending on traffic and a long route like the X9/X10 it's more likely to be hit somewhere.

If you use trains often you know that isn't the case.  Northern & TPE are notorious for delays and cancellations.  Pre-Covid you were lucky to get on the train if you boarded at Seaham they got that full. 

As said before the X10 would not be extended by much to serve BIllingham (as it already drives through). Locals aren't using it to get to and from Teesside and for long distance travellers from Newcastle to get to Middlesbrough a faster link could be provided by the X9 running non stop from Peterlee to Middlesbrough (and could even get some people using it from the X22)

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - big mac - 26 Feb 2021

(25 Feb 2021, 6:40 pm)streetdeckfan I would think so, especially if they're connecting from another service first.

If you buy an All Zone ticket in Stanley, get to Newcastle and realise you can't actually use it on the GNE service to Middlesbrough. You'd be pretty annoyed having to buy yet another day ticket.

I'd imagine the average person wouldn't think to ask for an X9/X10 Plus ticket (or whatever stupid name it has) when they're boarding the X30

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Exactly. People are logically going to think as they've got a Go North East ticket they can use a Go North East bus.

Is it common practice amongst operators elsewhere to exclude their own services from their own day and monthly tickets?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Andreos1 - 26 Feb 2021

(26 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm)big mac Exactly. People are logically going to think as they've got a Go North East ticket they can use a Go North East bus. 

Is it common practice amongst operators elsewhere to exclude their own services from their own day and monthly tickets?

Even the wording on the website is poor. Not clear at all. 

I'm guessing that those travelling from Teesside need to buy these tickets and it's not unique to those travelling to Teesside.

And to answer your question, no I don't think it is common for operators to exclude services from their normal offering. 
It would be interesting to know how many passengers have needed to buy an extra day ticket when getting on the X9/10 AFTER buying a day ticket already.
For some, an Explorer or the train is going to be a better option based on finances alone.
However nice those coaches may be.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 26 Feb 2021

(26 Feb 2021, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 Even the wording on the website is poor. Not clear at all. 

I'm guessing that those travelling from Teesside need to buy these tickets and it's not unique to those travelling to Teesside.

And to answer your question, no I don't think it is common for operators to exclude services from their normal offering. 
It would be interesting to know how many passengers have needed to buy an extra day ticket when getting on the X9/10 AFTER buying a day ticket already.
For some, an Explorer or the train is going to be a better option based on finances alone.

I think there should be an option to have an add-on for those who don't have the X9/X10 ticket, like they do with the AD-122, so at least those who forgot don't have to fork out for another expensive day ticket

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Andreos1 - 26 Feb 2021

(26 Feb 2021, 3:17 pm)streetdeckfan I think there should be an option to have an add-on for those who don't have the X9/X10 ticket, like they do with the AD-122, so at least those who forgot don't have to fork out for another expensive day ticket

Agreed. Or just simplify it so that all tickets are valid on all services. 
At the very least, it needs making clear on the website that the normal tickets arent valid.

Barriers need removing, not putting in place. However subtle they may be.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - big mac - 26 Feb 2021

(26 Feb 2021, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 Even the wording on the website is poor. Not clear at all. 

That surely must have happened before, in that someone has boarded the x9/X10, put their code under the scanner and it makes that horrible noise that rejects it. The driver then has the unenviable task of having to explain the situation to the customer who won't be very happy.

I know Go North Easts argument will probably be that it's a"premium" service or whatever they want to call it that operates outside of their normal geographical area and that the ticket price needs to be higher as a result.

However, I would say it would be so much simpler to just include it In with the regular ticketing, and I wonder how many potential passengers are put off from using the x9/X10 because of the ticket situation.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Ianthegoon - 26 Feb 2021

Discussion of ticket validities has alarmed me a little!

Can I just clarify whether the multi-operator tickets, the "Day Rover" at £7.80 and the "Explorer" at £10.90, are valid on the X9 and the X10?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Storx - 26 Feb 2021

(26 Feb 2021, 7:27 pm)Ianthegoon Discussion of ticket validities has alarmed me a little!

Can I just clarify whether the multi-operator tickets, the "Day Rover" at £7.80 and the "Explorer" at £10.90, are valid on the X9 and the X10?

Day Rover (bar between Testo's and Newcastle) no - it's T&W only.
Explorer is yes.

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Ianthegoon - 26 Feb 2021

(26 Feb 2021, 7:30 pm)Storx Day Rover (bar between Testo's and Newcastle) no - it's T&W only.
Explorer is yes.

I have a habit of being at Heworth Metro at about the time an X9 or X10 is heading into Newcastle - would that be valid or not?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Storx - 26 Feb 2021

(26 Feb 2021, 7:32 pm)Ianthegoon I have a habit of being at Heworth Metro at about the time an X9 or X10 is heading into Newcastle - would that be valid or not?

Yeah, this is what they're allowed on:

You can travel the length and breadth of the region on local bus services operated by all the participating companies listed below:
  • Arriva North East
  • Go North East
  • Shields Ferry
  • Stagecoach North East & Cumbria services within the Carlisle city boundary
  • Travelsure**
  • Tyne & Wear Metro
Please note that the Explorer North East Ticket is NOT valid on:
– Trains (except Sunderland to Blaydon rail line)
– National Express coaches
– Pre-booked coach tours
– Hadrian’s Wall service
– Moorbus services
– City sightseeing tours

The DayRover is anything above but inside T&W only. Unless things have changed the Explorer ticket from Arriva won't work on a GNE ticket machine and vice versa though so don't look like a twat and scan it.

(26 Feb 2021, 4:51 pm)big mac That surely must have happened before, in that someone has boarded the x9/X10, put their code under the scanner and it makes that horrible noise that rejects it.  The driver then has the unenviable task of having to explain the situation to the customer who won't be very happy.

I know Go North Easts argument will probably be that it's a"premium" service or whatever they want to call it that operates outside of their normal geographical area and that the ticket price needs to be higher as a result. 

However, I would say it would be so much simpler to just include it In with the regular ticketing, and I wonder how many potential passengers are put off from using the x9/X10 because of the ticket situation.

I bet it has. 

Took a screenshot earlier but forgot to upload it. Nowt about the normal day tickets not being valid at all.

Pretty poor that's the case.

(26 Feb 2021, 7:48 pm)Storx Yeah, this is what they're allowed on:

You can travel the length and breadth of the region on local bus services operated by all the participating companies listed below:
  • Arriva North East
  • Go North East
  • Shields Ferry
  • Stagecoach North East & Cumbria services within the Carlisle city boundary
  • Travelsure**
  • Tyne & Wear Metro
Please note that the Explorer North East Ticket is NOT valid on:
– Trains (except Sunderland to Blaydon rail line)
– National Express coaches
– Pre-booked coach tours
– Hadrian’s Wall service
– Moorbus services
– City sightseeing tours

The DayRover is anything above but inside T&W only. Unless things have changed the Explorer ticket from Arriva won't work on a GNE ticket machine and vice versa though so don't look like a twat and scan it.

OK, that's the standard blurb from the "NetworkOne" web site, was just checking to see whether anything there had changed, particularly in light of some of the comments that there was a specific X9/X10 version of some of the other tickets.

The twist I had with the GNE / Arriva scanners was drivers insisting that I scan the ticket, even though it was issued by the other company.  Mostly they'd register after I pointed this out, some insisted that I scan anyway before working out why it wouldn't work, and a couple of numpties were adamant it wasn't valid because it was for the other company, "and look, it doesn't scan, that proves it"!

(26 Feb 2021, 8:02 pm)Ianthegoon OK, that's the standard blurb from the "NetworkOne" web site, was just checking to see whether anything there had changed, particularly in light of some of the comments that there was a specific X9/X10 version of some of the other tickets.

The twist I had with the GNE / Arriva scanners was drivers insisting that I scan the ticket, even though it was issued by the other company.  Mostly they'd register after I pointed this out, some insisted that I scan anyway before working out why it wouldn't work, and a couple of numpties were adamant it wasn't valid because it was for the other company, "and look, it doesn't scan, that proves it"!

Nah no restrictions for the X9/X10.

Not surprised, had that a few times. Never rejected though mind. I used to have issues with using the Blyth / T&W tickets to go down to Birtley on the X12. It's even worse trying to buy one to go the other way, just got to the stage it's easier to show them how to print them. It doesn't help when using the student tickets some of them are YP BH + TYNE but the next one will be ST ASH + TYNE so it's all over the place. (Young Person - YP or Student - ST since they can't decide the name of them).

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - streetdeckfan - 26 Feb 2021

Another service that it's not really clear about the tickets not being valid is the 40 Cathedral Bus. There's literally no mention anywhere on the website that GNE tickets aren't accepted.
Unless that's changed now?

RE: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Ianthegoon - 27 Feb 2021

(26 Feb 2021, 11:16 pm)streetdeckfan Another service that it's not really clear about the tickets not being valid is the 40 Cathedral Bus. There's literally no mention anywhere on the website that GNE tickets aren't accepted.
Unless that's changed now?

Don't know about the GNE only tickets, but the Explorer is valid on the 40.

(The benefits of being in a location where the multi-operator tickets make better sense than the single-operator ones!)