North East Buses
X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: X9 | X10 - Acquisition of interdeck coaches from Oxford Bus Company (/showthread.php?tid=2593)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: X9/X10 - park5354 - 09 Jul 2020

(09 Jul 2020, 10:31 am)streetdeckfan Would it not make sense to keep it in Eldon Square, but move it to one of the stands further down so it's got more room to move around? (Assuming the length won't be an issue for other vehicles to navigate around)
The taxi rank/bus drop off area just to left of Haymarket exit could be slightly remodelled, or add a stop outside Eldon Square just after the exit, where Q3 stopped for a while

RE: X9/X10 - mb134 - 09 Jul 2020

(09 Jul 2020, 10:48 am)streetdeckfan I guess that's probably pretty easy to change back to 2+2 though if they need it?

Every Elite i I've ever been on has had the 3+1 at the front of the top deck. I can't see a way in which you'd make it 2+2 - and I don't see the need to either.

RE: X9/X10 - streetdeckfan - 09 Jul 2020

(09 Jul 2020, 10:40 am)Michael It was, every other bus they've had on the routes, they've struggled and needed to replaced as quick as they bought them... least with the coaches, they'll get longer out of them, and no doubt it'll good in the X-Lines brand, i'm interested to see how they're gonna stretch the brand
out on them.

-------------------------

I did try a Photoshop but i apologise now, as its horrendous (writing on the bus in RL would be bigger)

Back of the bus, route listed downwards - frequency between shared parts of the route mentioned - features also included

Also streetdeckfan, i hope you don't mind i used your template for my photoshop.

--------------------------

This gives GNE the perfect opportunity to brand the service and show the drivers of the A19, what they're missing out on, so they should advertise it from every angle Tongue

How long is a coach normally in service before it needs replacing?

I'm guessing you were going for something like this?
I probably should have started off with a higher res image as text gets a bit blurry, but you get the idea

.jpg
X10 Coach.jpg
Size 664.38 KB / Downloads 68

RE: X9/X10 - Storx - 09 Jul 2020

(09 Jul 2020, 12:02 pm)JP6004 Pilgrim street will be pedestrianised eventually

There's no plans to pedestrianise Pilgrim Street atm is there? I know they want to do Blackett Street but never heard of anything from John Dobson Street -> Northumberland Street then down Pilgrim Street from there.

RE: X9/X10 - Michael - 09 Jul 2020

(09 Jul 2020, 12:20 pm)streetdeckfan I'm guessing you were going for something like this?
I probably should have started off with a higher res image as text gets a bit blurry, but you get the idea

That looks alot better Tongue

RE: X9/X10 - JP6004 - 09 Jul 2020

(09 Jul 2020, 12:21 pm)Storx There's no plans to pedestrianise Pilgrim Street atm is there? I know they want to do Blackett Street but never heard of anything from John Dobson Street -> Northumberland Street then down Pilgrim Street from there.
Yea pilgrim street is included as that's where they are planning on the new retail/restaurant area will be. Stack to be removed and CU house demolished. They already starting on Bank House and demolishing old bus station.

John Dobson/Market street will remain accessible to traffic. Believe that's part the reason why buses (GNE) no longer serve north end pilgrim street and new bridge street

(09 Jul 2020, 12:28 pm)JP6004 Yea pilgrim street is included as that's where they are planning on the new retail/restaurant area will be. Stack to be removed and CU house demolished. They already starting on Bank House and demolishing old bus station.

John Dobson/Market street will remain accessible to traffic. Believe that's part the reason why buses (GNE) no longer serve north end pilgrim street and new bridge street

Ah never realised that tbf. Personally imo there should be a bus station built around there; I know it won't be best suited in terms of location but if people are really serious about clean air etc; there's no reason for all of the southbound bus services to be travelling around to the North side of Newcastle; Eldon Square could then be used to take over some of the services from Haymarket which is seriously congested at the best of times. Could also potentially move the coach station into the same place a bit like Leeds instead of it being miles out the centre down by Scotswood Road.

It could also help generate the area and get a real anchor to the area having a passing trade on the door step as it's a bit on a stuck limb atm Pilgrim Street etc.

Bit off topic though must admit.

(09 Jul 2020, 12:35 pm)Storx Ah never realised that tbf. Personally imo there should be a bus station built around there; I know it won't be best suited in terms of location but if people are really serious about clean air etc; there's no reason for all of the southbound bus services to be travelling around to the North side of Newcastle; Eldon Square could then be used to take over some of the services from Haymarket which is seriously congested at the best of times. Could also potentially move the coach station into the same place a bit like Leeds instead of it being miles out the centre down by Scotswood Road.

It could also help generate the area and get a real anchor to the area having a passing trade on the door step as it's a bit on a stuck limb atm Pilgrim Street etc.

Bit off topic though must admit.
To be fair the coach station is ideally situated beside central and metro, so not that much of a problem. I agree Haymarket/Eldon should be made into one bus station loop. Will ease congestion on Percy Street and allow extra bus stands to be created where taxi rank/M&S pick up is.
I dont agree in another bus station as you have 3 plus central. Easing of congestion and signalling to Percy street will help reduce emissions

(09 Jul 2020, 12:43 pm)JP6004 To be fair the coach station is ideally situated beside central and metro, so not that much of a problem. I agree Haymarket/Eldon should be made into one bus station loop. Will ease congestion on Percy Street and allow extra bus stands to be created where taxi rank/M&S pick up is.
I dont agree in another bus station as you have 3 plus central. Easing of congestion and signalling to Percy street will help reduce emissions

It's quite a trek from the Coash Station to Central through some not so pleasant areas - if it's late in the evening; there's a reason why Megabus chose John Dobson Street instead. I wouldn't like to haul a case from Central to there for example or any of the bus stations, Central itself is out the way really.

My theory behind the new bus station would be for a replacement for Blackett Street, Pilgrim Street and Market Street with the movement of any services from over the Tyne Bridge. It would be a perfect place for the 1, 39, 40, 62, 63 and whatever else cuts through the centre of town then having travel down Market Street and Grainger Street or Newgate Street out of town. If you close Blackett Street your going to have a big issue with a lot of stagecoach buses choking up Market Street Westbound as there's nowhere else realistically for them to stop. Eastbound I really don't know where they can stop as there's only one bus stop outside where the tourist information used to be.

So you'd have it as:
Eldon Square: Derwentside / Tyne Valley / Coast Road Services
Haymarket: Great North Road / South Gosforth / Ponteland Services
New Pilgrim Street: Tyne Bridge / Cross City Services / 100 Metro Centre / Coach Services
Coach Station: Replaced by something else.

(09 Jul 2020, 1:01 pm)Storx It's quite a trek from the Coash Station to Central through some not so pleasant areas - if it's late in the evening; there's a reason why Megabus chose John Dobson Street instead. I wouldn't like to haul a case from Central to there for example or any of the bus stations, Central itself is out the way really.

My theory behind the new bus station would be for a replacement for Blackett Street, Pilgrim Street and Market Street with the movement of any services from over the Tyne Bridge. It would be a perfect place for the 1, 39, 40, 62, 63 and whatever else cuts through the centre of town then having travel down Market Street and Grainger Street or Newgate Street out of town. If you close Blackett Street your going to have a big issue with a lot of stagecoach buses choking up Market Street Westbound as there's nowhere else realistically for them to stop. Eastbound I really don't know where they can stop as there's only one bus stop outside where the tourist information used to be.

So you'd have it as:
New Pilgrim Street: Tyne Bridge / Cross City Services / 100 Metro Centre / Coach Services
It's only 5 min walk through centre of life and gay scene, hardly unpleasant

RE: X9/X10 - Ambassador - 09 Jul 2020

(09 Jul 2020, 1:01 pm)Storx It's quite a trek from the Coash Station to Central through some not so pleasant areas - if it's late in the evening; there's a reason why Megabus chose John Dobson Street instead. I wouldn't like to haul a case from Central to there for example or any of the bus stations, Central itself is out the way really.

So you'd have it as:

The reason Megabus serve John Dobson St is they refused to pay the fees that National Express levy on the Coach Station, it's also closer to student accomodation which makes up the majority of clientele.

A new bus station is all well and good but Stagecoach won't use it, they won't pay the fees and Newcastle City Centre is not a terminus for 99% of their route network so the idea of using a bus station won't appeal

I've been suggesting Oxford Tube as a solution for the X9/10 for years - it only takes a pandemic and a forward thinking MD to pull it together.

(09 Jul 2020, 1:09 pm)Ambassador The reason Megabus serve John Dobson St is they refused to pay the fees that National Express levy on the Coach Station, it's also closer to student accomodation which makes up the majority of clientele.

A new bus station is all well and good but Stagecoach won't use it, they won't pay the fees and Newcastle City Centre is not a terminus for 99% of their route network so the idea of using a bus station won't appeal

I've been suggesting Oxford Tube as a solution for the X9/10 for years - it only takes a pandemic and a forward thinking MD to pull it together.

It depends how you built the bus station though, you could easily have a stands which allow easy passing through ie. Gateshead, Metro Centre and Four Lane Ends. Is there actually truth in Stagecoach refusing to use bus stations because of fees; I thought it was more due to the fact that Park Lane and Gateshead we're out the way and not worth the hassle to travel there with an additional cost on top. They have no issues with using Eldon Square (Ponteland Services), South Shields, Middlesbrough, Metro Centre and Four Lane Ends.

RE: X9/X10 - L469 YVK - 09 Jul 2020

Appears seating capacity on the new coaches is 63. Although a drop from 14 on the B5TL, the new capacity will likely reflect the demand post Covid19.

If however capacity becomes an issue on particular occasions such as NUFC home games etc, a B9TL could step in place if needed but I don't think that'll happen as B9TL seated capacity is 71 and I don't think standing os allowed on the X9/X10.

Would certainly be nice for the X9/X10 to get its owm brand but tied closely to XLines.

(09 Jul 2020, 6:55 pm)L469 YVK Appears seating capacity on the new coaches is 63. Although a drop from 14 on the B5TL, the new capacity will likely reflect the demand post Covid19.

If however capacity becomes an issue on particular occasions such as NUFC home games etc, a B9TL could step in place if needed but I don't think that'll happen as B9TL seated capacity is 71 and I don't think standing os allowed on the X9/X10.

Would certainly be nice for the X9/X10 to get its owm brand but tied closely to XLines.

Not sure if standing is allowed, but people definitely stand on the X9/X10!

I suppose the 6 Cylinder StreetDeck will be sent out during 'peak' times (if they ever return) since it'll be one of the spares

RE: X9/X10 - michaelb - 09 Jul 2020

Could they use the stop the 11A used at Eldon Square when it was allocated the X66 bendy buses in the morning.

Just a thought, if they're pulling the X9/X10 out of Eldon Square, I wonder if passenger numbers on the X12 will increase. It takes considerably longer (and an awful experience), but might be more convenient depending on where the X9/X10 serves

RE: X9/X10 - deanmachine - 09 Jul 2020

(09 Jul 2020, 7:33 pm)streetdeckfan Just a thought, if they're pulling the X9/X10 out of Eldon Square, I wonder if passenger numbers on the X12 will increase. It takes considerably longer (and an awful experience), but might be more convenient depending on where the X9/X10 serves

Who on earth would do that? Apart from you of course.

(09 Jul 2020, 7:40 pm)deanmachine Who on earth would do that? Apart from you of course.

LOL, as if I'd use the X12, I'd rather bloody walk!

I was thinking of the people who'll just got to Middlesbrough on a whim, and only see the X12 at Eldon Square.

I'd be quite interested in seeing what proportion of X9/X10 passengers actually go the full route, I can't imagine a lot of people want to travel to Middlesbrough

RE: X9/X10 - scanialover - 09 Jul 2020

I don't know how I missed this thread ? As a devotee and regular traveller on the X9/10 all I'll say is "at last, at last', we can say goodbye to the ratbag collection of vehicles that have plied up and down the A19 over there years; we past an unidentified "Crusader" in Gillingham today and won't that have been an experience!
But who cares what colour they are, where they will stop and start and all that? It's going to be interesting for sure but the compensation of travelling on something comfortable and reliable more that compensate.

It's brings us on briefly to Arriva's X12 ? Why it carries that operating number beats me? 2 and half hours of misery riding on a Pulsar or worse. Perhaps time for an upgrade there as well?

(09 Jul 2020, 7:47 pm)scanialover I don't know how I missed this thread ? As a devotee and regular traveller on the X9/10 all I'll say is "at last, at last', we can say goodbye to the ratbag collection of vehicles that have plied up and down the A19 over there years; we past an unidentified "Crusader" in Gillingham today and won't that have been an experience!
But who cares what colour they are, where they will stop and start and all that? It's going to be interesting for sure but the compensation of travelling on something comfortable and reliable more that compensate.

It's brings us on briefly to Arriva's X12 ? Why it carries that operating number beats me? 2 and half hours of misery riding on a Pulsar or worse. Perhaps time for an upgrade there as well?

The X12 is more of an X21 competitor than anything (and not even a good one at that!), it just happens to be a service that carries on to Middlesbrough.