North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 04 Apr 2015

(04 Apr 2015, 4:13 pm)Tom I know, but they don't meet at Walltown.
The 0910 from Hexham operates to Haltwhistle first, ommiting Walltown (arriving 1006 in Haltwhistle), and then goes to Walltown (arrving 1020), continuing to Hexham (arriving 1104). 

So it does, should have a - rather than the timings on the 0910 from Hexham to Haltwhistle, no wonder I got confused and thought they both met at Walltown at 10:20.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 04 Apr 2015

(04 Apr 2015, 4:20 pm)Malarkey So it does, should have a - rather than the timings on the 0910 from Hexham to Haltwhistle, no wonder I got confused and thought they both met at Walltown at 10:20.

The timetable is a bit confusing like Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - GuyParkRoyal - 04 Apr 2015

My objective for today was to try Tynedale Links and get a photo of an AD122 service in Hexham. The journey details:
07:53 GNE 4935 #X21 Chester le Street to Newcastle.
08:35 GNE 5210 #74 Newcastle to Hexham.
11:40 GNE 5229 #688 Hexham to Allendale.
12:49 GNE 5229 #688 Allendale to Hexham.
13:23 GNE 6071 #10 Hexham to Metrocentre.
14:40 GNE 4964 #X66 Metrocentre to Gateshead.
15:08 GNE 5223 #93 Gateshead to Heworth.
15:36 GNE 5359 #4 Heworth to Washington.
16:09 GNE 5260 #50 Washington to Chester le Street.
16:25 GNE 8304 #34 Chester le Street to Home.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 04 Apr 2015

Had a fantastic day out on a North East Explorer today. Didn't use it to it's full potential, but in terms of satisfaction; certainly milked it. I woke up at 09:00, and after preparing myself for the long day ahead, I made my way to the bus stop for my 78 to Sunderland.

#78 - Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground to Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange - (09:42 --- 10:14) - Go North East 4906 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
I arrived at the bus stop with plenty of time, and as the bus was due at 09:40, an elderly man came running up to me asking if the 78 had been yet. I said no, and he said he had ran all the way down from the Black Horse, having forgotten the buses weren't serving that stop. Only 2 minutes late, but when I boarded, the extremely friendly driver said ''good morning'' and knew exactly what I was on about when I asked for an Explorer. This Saturday journey normally has around 5 people on, but today when I boarded, it was more like 10. Took my seat just above the step up, and enjoyed the ride through to Sunderland.

The driver was brilliant at time-making, and got us to Sunderland 3 minutes early (surprising, having been 2 minutes late when I boarded). He was very courteous, had impeccable manners, and must be among the friendliest drivers at Chester-le-Street. Thanks to his driving skills, I got to Park Lane with plenty of time to catch the 10:19 Metro to Airport. Walked down into the Metro, everything was quiet as I walked down, but on the platform there was around 20 people awaiting the next Metro. 

Tyne and Wear Metro - Park Lane to Haymarket - (10:19 --- 10:55) - Tyne and Wear Metrocars 4072 
and 4044
I heard the rumbling of a Metro in the distance, and joined other people who walked towards the platform edge. It came into sight, with 4072 leading and 4044 on the rear. I chose to sit in 4072, and parked myself near a door at a row of 3 seats facing another row of 3 seats. As the next announcement, for Sunderland, came on, I noticed a slight smell of urine... Barf! I put my earphones in, and at some parts of the journey it felt like the noises produced by the engines could be heard in space! Not a bad journey though, in terms of how crowded some of my past Metro experiences have been. I now also have an incredible desire to sit at the front of a Metro at some point... No need for Train Simulator then! haha

I would especially enjoy doing that as we cross the River Tyne between Gateshead and Central. Will try that at some point. Anyway, I hopped off at Haymarket, and made my way up to ground level. Walked into the bus station, and went to buy a Sausage, Bean & Cheese Melt from Gregg's. As I came out, I saw a Coastliner enter on a 308 for Blyth, so upon Dan's advice, I went for that. 

#308 - Newcastle, Haymarket Bus Station to Blyth Bus Station - (11:04 --- 12:21) - Arriva North East 7803 - Volvo B5LH/Wright Gemini 2
Driver pulled in at 11:02; 5 minutes early, so as there was only myself and about 4 others queuing, he asked if it was alright for him to have a quick puff on his pipe (something like that!). He quickly had a smoke through his pipe, and two of the OAPs waiting asked him if he knew of a Fish & Chips place in Blyth, to which he was very helpful and full of advice. He seemed a very nice driver. I had the upstairs to myself, but only about as far as the Coast Road, about 10-15 minutes into the journey - when a dad with two little girls got on, and of all places, they sit at the other set of seats at the front... Yay! We hit around traffic around Whitley Bay, which disrupted the whole journey. We got to Blyth over 10 minutes late, and 7803 was regulated.

I enjoyed this journey, some of the views out to sea as you head along the coastline are absolutely spectacular. However, the buses do get quite busy, which I suppose was a downside. There's nothing nicer than sitting at the front upstairs with a view that lasts for miles and miles. I hopped off at the bus station in Blyth, and after wandering around like a lost sheep, I found the stand for the 1.

#1 - Blyth Bus Station to Ashington Bus Station - (12:27 --- 13:03) - Arriva North East 1504 - VDL SB200/Wright Pulsar 2
I saw the 1 pull in, with the destination set for the return to Widdrington. Obviously, I wasn't intending to travel this far, but nonetheless I boarded for Ashington. I noticed the passenger numbers boarding at Blyth were quite high; I didn't realise the 1 was such a popular service. Sat at the very back, as my favourite seats were taken by some OAPs. Guess I got lucky, as I was informed by mb134 that Pulsars were quite lucky on the 1. After finding out I would normally have gotten an MPD, I was most pleased at my fortune! 

A nice ride into Ashington, and the heating at the back of 1504 was great! After disembarking alongside a store (can't remember what it was) - I headed across to the depot. Nothing there of note, think there were a few things towards the very rear of the yard, although I couldn't get a good enough photo using my zoom. I did, however, take a photo of Dart 1301 parked up in full view outside of the depot. I assume it's a layover bay? As I walked towards the main part of the bus station, I saw my X22 pull in.

#X22 - Ashington Bus Station to Newcastle, Haymarket Bus Station - (13:10 --- 14:03) - Arriva North East 7527 - Dennis Trident 2/Alexander Enviro400
Was pleased I had a non-refurbished example, as it performed well! Some people say these E400s aren't too good; after doing the whole route from Ashington to Newcastle, I have to say I was impressed with how 7527 ran. Some of the large gaps along stretches of road between stops were flown through, it picked up enough speed to ensure we picked up a bit of time by the time we reached Newcastle. Had a very friendly driver as well, who had some great driving and customer service skills. 

Got to Newcastle, and we were dropped off at the bottom stand. I had a brief conversation with mb134 outside the Gregg's in the Haymarket bus station, and told him where 7523 and 7524 were, as he had asked me to look out for them as they had working plug-sockets, and he needed to charge his phone. After this, I made my way across to Eldon Square, in hopes of an Olympian. After around 15 minutes of looking up to Percy Street, in the midst of observing other things, I hit the jackpot. A yellow double decker appeared on the horizon, and this was definitely the highlight of the day.

#X70 - Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station to Consett Bus Station - (14:27 --- 15:26) - Go North East 3822 - Volvo Olympian/NC Palatine 2
I hopped on with ease, and noticed I had the upper saloon to myself. I would have taken an interior photo, but just couldn't bothered. As we left Newcastle, I noticed a slight squeel from the engine. However, as I've said before, Olympians are among the smoothest vehicles I have ever tried. As we hit Gateshead, about a dozen people boarded. A woman by herself sat behind the stairs, a couple with a child at the very back, and two teenage girls at the front seats opposite me (I had ''bagsied'' the seats with the huge legroom) sat upstairs. As we headed through the small villages and massive fields to Consett, they all slowly left, until by the time we hit Consett; I was alone once again. 

Spent quite a bit of time on this journey listening to the Blockbusters theme (citaro5284 will be happy!!) to celebrate how incredible the ride was. I felt invincible towards the last 5-10 minutes of the journey, when the upper deck was deserted bar me, upstairs on a powerful workhorse. hehe

#78 - Consett Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground - (15:28 --- 16:42) - Go North East 4904 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
What a nice way to end such a great day; the underpowered 4904! A personal enemy of mine, I was slightly peeved to see this was operating the 78 out of Consett, when I walked to the stand. Got little power in it's engine to be fair, and goes as slow as a snail! What didn't help matters was a family (you know what I'm on about.......) that boarded in Grange Villa. The 4 kids (yes, 4!!) all sat in random parts of the bus, while the mother and father (both inebriated I think...) got the tickets. They sat at the very rear, and when we hit Pelton, a young couple boarded with a child in a buggy/pram/thingy who were obviously enemies of the woman. She whistled at them, shouted down the bus at them, and called them ''mongs'', amongst other things... Pleased when they disembarked in Chester-le-Street!

When we left Chester-le-Street (pretty full, quite surprising for half 4 on a Saturday) the driver made an error with the diversions. Instead of turning up along The Avenue(s) he miscalculated his speed, and overran it (that's what I'm assuming, as I heard him say something inaudible when he drove on). He received guidance upon hitting the roundabout at Waldridge, and went all the way down until he re-joined the diversion scheme at West Lane. Talk about a detour! haha

Had a great day out, and was in the house by 17:00. Certainly got what I need out of it - a ride into Northumberland, a Yellow Bus Olympian and a couple of Renowns! Smile

Marcus

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 04 Apr 2015

(04 Apr 2015, 6:34 pm)MarcTheA4 #X22 - Ashington Bus Station to Newcastle, Haymarket Bus Station - (13:10 --- 14:03) - Arriva North East 7527 - Dennis Trident 2/Alexander Enviro400
Was pleased I had a refurbished example, as it performed well! Some people say these E400s aren't too good; after doing the whole route from Ashington to Newcastle, I have to say I was impressed with how 7527 ran. Some of the large gaps along stretches of road between stops were flown through, it picked up enough speed to ensure we picked up a bit of time by the time we reached Newcastle. Had a very friendly driver as well, who had some great driving and customer service skills. 

Got to Newcastle, and we were dropped off at the bottom stand. I had a brief conversation with mb134 outside the Gregg's in the Haymarket bus station, and told him where 7523 and 7524 were, as he had asked me to look out for them as they had working plug-sockets, and he needed to charge his phone. After this, I made my way across to Eldon Square, in hopes of an Olympian. After around 15 minutes of looking up to Percy Street, in the midst of observing other things, I hit the jackpot. A yellow double decker appeared on the horizon, and this was definitely the highlight of the day.

Marcus

That's a new one, the ones I hate are the 57-reg crap which are just horrible. The new ones aren't too bad.

(04 Apr 2015, 6:45 pm)Tommy_1581 That's a new one, the ones I hate are the 57-reg crap which are just horrible. The new ones aren't too bad.

Meant to put non-refurbished, problem with typing fast! I'll amend it now. 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - mb134 - 04 Apr 2015

(04 Apr 2015, 6:34 pm)MarcTheA4 Had a fantastic day out on a North East Explorer today. Didn't use it to it's full potential, but in terms of satisfaction; certainly milked it. I woke up at 09:00, and after preparing myself for the long day ahead, I made my way to the bus stop for my 78 to Sunderland.

#1 - Blyth Bus Station to Ashington Bus Station - (12:27 --- 13:03) - Arriva North East 1504 - VDL SB200/Wright Pulsar 2
I saw the 1 pull in, with the destination set for the return to Widdrington. Obviously, I wasn't intending to travel this far, but nonetheless I boarded for Ashington. I noticed the passenger numbers boarding at Blyth were quite high; I didn't realise the 1 was such a popular service. Sat at the very back, as my favourite seats were taken by some OAPs. Guess I got lucky, as I was informed by mb134 that Pulsars were quite lucky on the 1. After finding out I would normally have gotten an MPD, I was most pleased at my fortune! 

A nice ride into Ashington, and the heating at the back of 1504 was great! After disembarking alongside a store (can't remember what it was) - I headed across to the depot. Nothing there of note, think there were a few things towards the very rear of the yard, although I couldn't get a good enough photo using my zoom. I did, however, take a photo of Dart 1301 parked up in full view outside of the depot. I assume it's a layover bay? As I walked towards the main part of the bus station, I saw my X22 pull in.

#X22 - Ashington Bus Station to Newcastle, Haymarket Bus Station - (13:10 --- 14:03) - Arriva North East 7527 - Dennis Trident 2/Alexander Enviro400
Was pleased I had a refurbished example, as it performed well! Some people say these E400s aren't too good; after doing the whole route from Ashington to Newcastle, I have to say I was impressed with how 7527 ran. Some of the large gaps along stretches of road between stops were flown through, it picked up enough speed to ensure we picked up a bit of time by the time we reached Newcastle. Had a very friendly driver as well, who had some great driving and customer service skills. 

Had a great day out, and was in the house by 17:00. Certainly got what I need out of it - a ride into Northumberland, a Yellow Bus Olympian and a couple of Renowns! Smile

Marcus
Hmmm, still intrigued that there was nothing in the depot...

Without wishing to sound annoying, (can't think of the word I want to use!), did you go down to the new depot, just sounds like you stayed by the old one if you only saw something outside on layover...

Good to hear you liked 7527, I noticed that 7507 arrived in on the X21 following after you went into Eldon Square, think your experience might have been a bit different had you had the refurb!

Again, it was nice seeing and talking to someone from the forum! Smile 

(04 Apr 2015, 6:51 pm)mb134 Hmmm, still intrigued that there was nothing in the depot...

Without wishing to sound annoying, (can't think of the word I want to use!), did you go down to the new depot, just sounds like you stayed by the old one if you only saw something outside on layover...

Good to hear you liked 7527, I noticed that 7507 arrived in on the X21 following after you went into Eldon Square, think you're experience might have been a bit different had you had the refurb!

Again, it was nice seeing and talking to someone from the forum! Smile 

It's fine haha. Wink The one just next to the bus station. Not familiar with the area at all. Like I say I recall seeing one or two things towards the back of the place I visited, but I couldn't get a good enough photo with it being so far away. Smile

Yeah, it was nice talking to you as well. Smile

(04 Apr 2015, 6:54 pm)MarcTheA4 It's fine haha. Wink The one just next to the bus station. Not familiar with the area at all. Like I say I recall seeing one or two things towards the back of the place I visited, but I couldn't get a good enough photo with it being so far away. Smile

Yeah, it was nice talking to you as well. Smile

The new one's down behind McDonald's?? 

Think I need to get out more, meet more members to be honest Smile

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 04 Apr 2015

(04 Apr 2015, 7:11 pm)mb134 The new one's down behind McDonald's?? 

Think I need to get out more, meet more members to be honest Smile

Is it?! Oh my... In that case just ignore what I say! I'll have to visit it at some point... I look like a knob now! haha

(04 Apr 2015, 3:38 pm)Malarkey Feeling rather bored as I am skint which why I havent been out much in the past few weeks, so I decided to attempt to put a plan together for the trip Hexham I am planning over the Summer, along with a Trip on the AD122 and a possible venture on wards to Carlisle.

So here is the Plan.

Plan A
07:29 - X1 - Washington Galleries to Newcastle Eldon Square - 07:57
08:00 - X85 - Newcastle Eldon Square to Hexham - 08:47
09:10 - AD122 - Hexham to Haltwhistle Market Place - 10:06
10:13 - 685 - Haltwhistle Market Place to Carlisle - 10:56
13:07 - 685 - Carlisle to Hexham - 14:22
14:53 - 10 - Hexham to MetroCentre - 16:00
16:09 - X66 - MetroCentre to Gateshead Interchange - 16:19
16:25 - X1 - Gateshead Interchange to Washington Galleries - 16:48

Plan B (Will likely go to pot at Walltown unless I am extremely Lucky)
07:29 - X1 - Washington Galleries to Newcastle Eldon Square - 08:56
08:00 - X85 - Newcastle Eldon Square to Hexham - 09:57
09:10 - AD122 - Hexham to Walltown - 10:20 (Meeting point of both AD122s
10:20 - AD122 - Walltown to Haltwhistle Market Place - 10:06
10:08 - AD122 - Haltwhistle Market Place to Hexham - 11:04
11:53 - 10 - Hexham to MetroCentre - 13:00
13:09 - X66 - MetroCentre to Gateshead Interchange - 13:19
13:25 - X1 - Gateshead Interchange to Washington Galleries - 13:48
Lads I have came to the conclusion that we are all "Dopey", Explorers are indeed invalid on the AD122 and is Highlighted in Bold at the bottom of the AD122 Page under the Fare Prices for a Day Rover+ on http://www.simplygo.com/all-services/ad122 , clearly we didnt look as far as our nose end did we, so therefore that means my plan has gone tits up and I will once again have to go back to the Drawing Board.

(04 Apr 2015, 7:12 pm)MarcTheA4 Is it?! Oh my... In that case just ignore what I say! I'll have to visit it at some point... I look like a knob now! haha

Tongue at least you'll know for next time Smile 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 04 Apr 2015

(04 Apr 2015, 7:22 pm)Malarkey Lads I have came to the conclusion that we are all "Dopey", Explorers are indeed invalid on the AD122 and is Highlighted in Bold at the bottom of the AD122 Page under the Fare Prices for a Day Rover+ on http://www.simplygo.com/all-services/ad122 , clearly we didnt look as far as our nose end did we, so therefore that means my plan has gone tits up and I will once again have to go back to the Drawing Board.

That wasn't there when I posted the page the other week - I referred to this when I posted it

It originally stated "Please note that Go North East Buzzfare and Get Around tickets can’t be used on the AD122". Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Wellsey18 - 04 Apr 2015

(04 Apr 2015, 6:56 pm)Tommy_1581 Not many buses (well, just one)

Metro (forgot number) North Shields to Newcastle Central 
On time. Sadly faults follow me around, front doors out of order, no announcements over than the driver at interchanges, man who occupied the front seats until Whitley Bay had some lovely ( Undecided ) smell coming off him, I accidentally touched some urine on the seat.

Metro (forgot number) Newcastle Central to Pelaw
More faults, three childrens with blown up latex gloves prancing around the front they said nine stops to go while crossing the Tyne. On arrival at Pelaw, it's a dump. Lots of pregnant teenagers prancing around, you knar.

Metro (guess the number, forgot) Pelaw to South Shields
Metro full of chavs, inspectors between Heworth and Bede, e-cigs being smoked by youths, language etc.
Thought I was going to be killed on arrival at Costa del Shields, the e-cig lads were aggressive towards me as I had my finger on the open button.

Ferry (Spirit of the Tyne) SS to NS
Nowt much, very sick

Phoenix 907 NSF to NS
Too dizzy to note this journey.

Don't bother liking, ta

Do you ever have anything positive to say?!

(04 Apr 2015, 7:33 pm)aureolin That wasn't there when I posted the page the other week - I referred to this when I posted it

It originally stated "Please note that Go North East Buzzfare and Get Around tickets can’t be used on the AD122". Smile
Obviously Go North East have updated it since then, personally I didnt think they were Valid anyway.

Think I might just do my trip as it is to Hexham, then get on the 685 that I would of got on in Haltwhistle at Hexham and continue on towards Carlisle, Or Alternatively go straight to Carlisle and drop off at Hexham on the way back.

(04 Apr 2015, 7:45 pm)Malarkey Obviously Go North East have updated it since then, personally I didnt think they were Valid anyway.

Think I might just do my trip as it is to Hexham, then get on the 685 that I would of got on in Haltwhistle at Hexham and continue on towards Carlisle, Or Alternatively go straight to Carlisle and drop off at Hexham on the way back.

Maybe not, but you can only go from the horses mouth if in doubt. Smile 

(04 Apr 2015, 7:51 pm)aureolin Maybe not, but you can only go from the horses mouth if in doubt. Smile 

Would rather not take the risk if I am honest, looks like quite an Expensive day out if you were to visit one of the following attractions whilst also using the AD122 to get there, should offer 25% off Admission when showing a Valid Bus Ticket like they do at Beamish or failing that making the Bus Fares cheaper.

Roman Army Fort Vindolanda - http://www.vindolanda.com/experience/admission-prices

Chesters Roman Fort - http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/chesters-roman-fort-and-museum-hadrians-wall/prices-and-opening-times

Houseteads Roman Fort - http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/housesteads-roman-fort-hadrians-wall/prices-and-opening-times

(04 Apr 2015, 8:05 pm)Malarkey Would rather not take the risk if I am honest, looks like quite an Expensive day out if you were to visit one of the following attractions whilst also using the AD122 to get there, should offer 25% off Admission when showing a Valid Bus Ticket like they do at Beamish or failing that making the Bus Fares cheaper.

Roman Army Fort Vindolanda - http://www.vindolanda.com/experience/admission-prices

Chesters Roman Fort - http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/chesters-roman-fort-and-museum-hadrians-wall/prices-and-opening-times

Houseteads Roman Fort - http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/housesteads-roman-fort-hadrians-wall/prices-and-opening-times

Those one of prices £5-£7 aren't too bad if I'm honest. You'd pay more to go to the cinema nowadays. I believe you can get into places like that cheaper as a member of the National Trust or something? Annual fee instead, similar to Beamish. 

Edit: It's English Heritage rather than the National Trust. 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 05 Apr 2015

(04 Apr 2015, 7:44 pm)Wellsey18 Do you ever have anything positive to say?!

Hmm, let me think... NO!

I get sick when I'm on the ferry, this was the first time that I had used it since I was 3. So no, I don't have anything good to say about that.

I also can't say anything about Phoenix's 907, as I was too ill to take notes.

And for the Metro in the other hand, that's typical, it will always smell and always will.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - S813 FVK - 05 Apr 2015

(05 Apr 2015, 8:45 am)Tommy_1581 Hmm, let me think... NO!

I get sick when I'm on the ferry, this was the first time that I had used it since I was 3. So no, I don't have anything good to say about that.

I also can't say anything about Phoenix's 907, as I was too ill to take notes.

And for the Metro in the other hand, that's typical, it will always smell and always will.

dont use the ferry if you get sick using it. dont use the metro if it smells. if you cant make notes, dont make up a load of negative comments...