North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 27 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 9:35 pm)Adrian Aye, but VTEC WiFi is a waste of time. The mobile data infrastructure is near to non-existent through large parts of it. I've done 1st class between Edinburgh and Newcastle a couple of times, and I've got to the point of not bothering trying.
Glad I've never bothered paying for WiFi on the train, when I did Edinburgh back in September I could only really get decent enough mobile data signal on my phone at the stations they served.

One slight conspiracy I have is when I did Darlington - Wakefield on a CrossCountry Voyager I struggled to get any greater signal than "G" yet on the same line on a Virgin Trains East Coast Class 43 and a First TransPennine Express Class 185 when I headed to York last Saturday I was getting "H+" or "4G" signal!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 27 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 9:42 pm)Jimmi Glad I've never bothered paying for WiFi on the train, when I did Edinburgh back in September I could only really get decent enough mobile data signal on my phone at the stations they served.

One slight conspiracy I have is when I did Darlington - Wakefield on a CrossCountry Voyager I struggled to get any greater signal than "G" yet on the same line on a Virgin Trains East Coast Class 43 and a First TransPennine Express Class 185 when I headed to York last Saturday I was getting "H+" or "4G" signal!

Could be anything really. If a mast is down, it'll failover to the next one in the cluster or nearest available, depending on how it's configured. This is why we tend not to notice mobile phone network outages.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 27 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 9:44 pm)Adrian Could be anything really. If a mast is down, it'll failover to the next one in the cluster or nearest available, depending on how it's configured. This is why we tend not to notice mobile phone network outages.

Voyagers are a blackhole for signal, Though I don't know the reason that causes it, There was a post on a rail forum about it a few months back.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 27 Mar 2016

Regarding time caps - can you then just re-connect and it'll set you up for another hour? Or is there some sort of time-out period?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Jimmi - 27 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 10:29 pm)northern156 Regarding time caps - can you then just re-connect and it'll set you up for another hour? Or is there some sort of time-out period?
On most Arriva Sapphire services, after so long (seems to be an hour) it times me out and I can seemingly no longer gain any access to the WiFi on any Sapphire service that has been correctly set up for Sapphire. Irritating as owt for me if I get two Pulsars to/from Newton Aycliffe - Durham on the 7 as the journey time is around 45 minutes meaning that 15 minutes into the return journey I can no longer gain access to the Arriva Sapphire WiFi network.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 27 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 10:34 pm)Jimmi On most Arriva Sapphire services, after so long (seems to be an hour) it times me out and I can seemingly no longer gain any access to the WiFi on any Sapphire service that has been correctly set up for Sapphire. Irritating as owt for me if I get two Pulsars to/from Newton Aycliffe - Durham on the 7 as the journey time is around 45 minutes meaning that 15 minutes into the return journey I can no longer gain access to the Arriva Sapphire WiFi network.

That would seem to be a silly design/setup flaw since they advertise the whole Sapphire network in the North East a lot!
Must be a time out period of several hours then before you can get back on?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 28 Mar 2016

I did three hours on the X21/X22 the other week and the WiFi never logged out after a certain time.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - DanPicken - 28 Mar 2016

(27 Mar 2016, 9:35 pm)Adrian Aye, but VTEC WiFi is a waste of time. The mobile data infrastructure is near to non-existent through large parts of it. I've done 1st class between Edinburgh and Newcastle a couple of times, and I've got to the point of not bothering trying.
It worked fine last December for the whole journey.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 6:11 am)DanPicken It worked fine last December for the whole journey.

On your journey to Carlisle during a diversion, per chance?

Adrian has already mentioned it's the infrastructure on the east coast which renders the Wi-Fi almost useless on Virgin trains...

(28 Mar 2016, 7:14 am)Dan On your journey to Carlisle during a diversion, per chance?

Adrian has already mentioned it's the infrastructure on the east coast which renders the Wi-Fi almost useless on Virgin trains...

Aye.

I aim to get all the remaining NTL Darts tomorrow, the Solo's on Wednesday, at Central Station Thursday and Friday and Metro Replacement on Saturday.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - biglugs@yahoo.com - 28 Mar 2016

My week plan
Tommora of ta beamish museum
Wednesday a ride on ntlindigosolo
Then riding service 5 with the solars on thirsday
Friday havent decided likely hartlepool
Saturday stayling local

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - South Tyne Lad - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 7:13 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com My week plan
Tommora of ta beamish museum
Wednesday a ride on ntlindigosolo
Then riding service 5 with the solars on thirsday
Friday havent decided likely hartlepool
Saturday stayling local

Doubt you'll find Solars on the 5, There Volvo B7RLEs. ( though a Solar can appear )

(28 Mar 2016, 7:16 pm)South Tyne Lad Doubt you'll find Solars on the 5, There Volvo B7RLEs. ( though a Solar can appear )

Thats what im after keep forgetting the difference

(28 Mar 2016, 7:01 pm)DanPicken I aim to get all the remaining NTL Darts tomorrow, the Solo's on Wednesday, at Central Station Thursday and Friday and Metro Replacement on Saturday.

I don't know whether to catch the NTL Darts tommorow or just head up on Wednesday. or do both.

(28 Mar 2016, 7:17 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com Thats what im after keep forgetting the difference

They're just Volvo Solars, slightly different engine.
(28 Mar 2016, 7:18 pm)South Tyne Lad I don't know whether to catch the NTL Darts tommorow or just head up on Wednesday. or do both.

I'm doing both. The reason for being at Central is because the Franchise for Northern changes.

(28 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm)DanPicken They're just Volvo Solars, slightly different engine.

I'm doing both. The reason for being at Central is because the Franchise for Northern changes.

And a different ZF Gearbox,  The B7RLEs have Kickdown Ecomats while the Scanias have Hold Gear Ecomats, Some are 4HPs while later ones are 5HP Gearboxes
The B7RLE has a 7.3 D7C Engine while the Scania has a 9.4L Scania Engine.

I have to be back early tomorrow for going out with my School Mates but if leave early I might have a go.
Will definitely be going on Wednesday though.

Ah right, Never been on a train outing in ages now.

(28 Mar 2016, 7:45 pm)South Tyne Lad And a different ZF Gearbox,  The B7RLEs have Kickdown Ecomats while the Scanias have Hold Gear Ecomats, Some are 4HPs while later ones are 5HP Gearboxes
The B7RLE has a 7.3 D7C Engine while the Scania has a 9.4L Scania Engine.

I have to be back early tomorrow for going out with my School Mates but if leave early I might have go.
Will definitely be going on Wednesday though.

Ah right, Never been on a train outing in ages now.

Thanks for the info.
Neither have I.

(28 Mar 2016, 7:46 pm)DanPicken Thanks for the info.
Neither have I.

Think the cost puts people away from the train oftern

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - northern156 - 28 Mar 2016

(28 Mar 2016, 7:49 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com Think the cost puts people away from the train oftern

Rail rovers etc are not really expensive. Some not as expensive as, for example, an Explorer.