North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 30 Mar 2014

(30 Mar 2014, 6:53 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Looks like we are all going for the B5TL, which is the main reason I am going as well as for photos of the Volvo 7900H's, i'll just see how the Day goes to be Honest, No doubt Dan will supply me with a few ideas on where to go. we should create a Hashtag for the Photos Page #NEBGoes2Edinburgh.

Dean Bridge can be a good one to go too, depending on light. 'Tis a little further out though.

Obviously you've got The Mound and the other bridges near Princes Street too.
George Street is a good one for another spot near Princes St - as long as you keep your eye on the statue of George VI!
Also near Princes St is Leith Street. There's a bridge which allows you to cross the road, and it leads into the shopping mall. Good for the "birds eye view" shots.

Horse Wynd (Holywood terminus) in Edinburgh is good too, and you'll find that near the 35 route (if you're travelling that way to Ocean Terminal, that is!)

The top of Leith Walk is good right now because you've got some flowers blossoming. Can make for some marvellously composed shots.

I'm a fan of the Clerwood terminus, and Riccarton is nice too. Mayfield terminus is stunning.

Northfield Broadway is a good place for mid-route shots, and it would give you the opportunity to have a ride of a Solo SR of Lothian's too. I had a round trip of the 69 after visiting Marine Depot - a pleasant journey, and it was great how everyone seemed to know each other (with many greeting the driver personally!)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 30 Mar 2014

There are some interesting angles/possibilities around Haymarket too.

You will get buses heading up towards Murrayfield/the zoo and vice versa.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 30 Mar 2014

(30 Mar 2014, 7:28 pm)Dan Dean Bridge can be a good one to go too, depending on light. 'Tis a little further out though.

George Street is a good one for another spot near Princes St - as long as you keep your eye on the statue of George VI!
Also near Princes St is Leith Street. There's a bridge which allows you to cross the road, and it leads into the shopping mall. Good for the "birds eye view" shots.

Horse Wynd (Holywood terminus) in Edinburgh is good too, and you'll find that near the 35 route (if you're travelling that way to Ocean Terminal, that is!)

The top of Leith Walk is good right now because you've got some flowers blossoming. Can make for some marvellously composed shots.

I'm a fan of the Clerwood terminus, and Riccarton is nice too. Mayfield terminus is stunning.

Northfield Broadway is a good place for mid-route shots, and it would give you the opportunity to have a ride of a Solo SR of Lothian's too. I had a round trip of the 69 after visiting Marine Depot - a pleasant journey, and it was great how everyone seemed to know each other (with many greeting the driver personally!)

Probably just be Edinburgh Princes St/Waverley Bridge for me, sadly.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 30 Mar 2014

(30 Mar 2014, 7:28 pm)Dan Dean Bridge can be a good one to go too, depending on light. 'Tis a little further out though.

Thanks for the Information Dan, I will try and fit in as much Humanly possible with the amount of Hours I will be there, is there many Buses go up The Mound as that looks like a Beautiful Spot to take a few Photos. I might pop along to Central Bus Depot to take a few photos also, any ideas on what Buses Services go by there.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 30 Mar 2014

(30 Mar 2014, 8:46 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Thanks for the Information Dan, I will try and fit in as much Humanly possible with the amount of Hours I will be there, is there many Buses go up The Mound as that looks like a Beautiful Spot to take a few Photos. I might pop along to Central Bus Depot to take a few photos also, any ideas on what Buses Services go by there.

There's loads that stop nearby Central. Also really good for photos if the sun is out.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 01 Apr 2014

Randomly ended up in Blackpool today for an hour or so, and managed a couple of shots there. It was an absolutely cracking day in Blackpool, so I only wish I had more time there.

I've got a busy few weeks coming up, but have a couple of days off before the Easter weekend. I'm hoping to head over Carlisle/Cumbria perhaps the day before Good Friday, or mid-week the following week.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to the Durham Dual on the 26th April. Hopefully will bump into a couple from the forum over there.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 01 Apr 2014

(01 Apr 2014, 8:33 pm)aureolin Randomly ended up in Blackpool today for an hour or so, and managed a couple of shots there. It was an absolutely cracking day in Blackpool, so I only wish I had more time there.

I've got a busy few weeks coming up, but have a couple of days off before the Easter weekend. I'm hoping to head over Carlisle/Cumbria perhaps the day before Good Friday, or mid-week the following week.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to the Durham Dual on the 26th April. Hopefully will bump into a couple from the forum over there.

I would go there, but not sure about it. Not sure if I'd feel comfortable on the Durham Dual being considerably younger.
Hoping to get to Carlisle soon too, Cumbria will be four nights in Barrow and Kendal depending if I can get a good value hotel.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 01 Apr 2014

(01 Apr 2014, 8:48 pm)Tom I would go there, but not sure about it. Not sure if I'd feel comfortable on the Durham Dual being considerably younger.
Hoping to get to Carlisle soon too, Cumbria will be four nights in Barrow and Kendal depending if I can get a good value hotel.

Will the folks or someone else not go through with you? Failing that, I'd imagine a few from here will end up going.

Should be fine for B&Bs around that area. Certainly enough of them Tongue I think I'm just going to do there and back in a day, perhaps stopping by at Hexham on my way back. I'd meant to do it in January when I was off but the weather was shocking.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 01 Apr 2014

(01 Apr 2014, 9:03 pm)aureolin Will the folks or someone else not go through with you? Failing that, I'd imagine a few from here will end up going.

Should be fine for B&Bs around that area. Certainly enough of them Tongue I think I'm just going to do there and back in a day, perhaps stopping by at Hexham on my way back. I'd meant to do it in January when I was off but the weather was shocking.

If you mean the Lakes, then yes Wink Hopefully I'll get a B&B or reasonably priced hotels, was hoping to get the Premier Inn in Kendal, but not booking until I try out the Edinburgh one. Travelodge was horrendous the last time I used it in York iirc.
If you mean the running day, the no.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Andreos1 - 01 Apr 2014

(01 Apr 2014, 8:33 pm)aureolin Randomly ended up in Blackpool today for an hour or so, and managed a couple of shots there. It was an absolutely cracking day in Blackpool, so I only wish I had more time there.

Depending on the eldests football match, that Durham Dual looks canny.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 04 Apr 2014

Weather is looking poor for Edinburgh tomorrow, but I'm having an early night tonight ready for an early Metro tomorrow!

Did Malarkey enjoy his trip?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 04 Apr 2014

(04 Apr 2014, 7:53 pm)Dan Weather is looking poor for Edinburgh tomorrow, but I'm having an early night tonight ready for an early Metro tomorrow!

Just me luck! Same happened when I went to the Lakes last year Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 04 Apr 2014

(04 Apr 2014, 7:53 pm)Dan Weather is looking poor for Edinburgh tomorrow, but I'm having an early night tonight ready for an early Metro tomorrow!

Yes I did, been in the House about 35 Minutes and I am bloody shattered. When I arrived in Edinburgh at 09:20 it was Foggy and it was Raining up until around Midday, after that it stayed Dull but was reasonably warm otherwise.

I took a shed load of Photos along Princess Street/Waverley Bridge and The Mound, And also took half a dozen in the Worlds Worst Bus Station, Yes Edinburgh Bus Station tops the Almighty Eldon Square in my Personal Opinion.

I then got on the 27 up to Hunters Tryst to get photos of the B5TL, That unfortunately did not go to plan, as it had been taken off early doors with Suspension Problems, But I did catch it back out on the 27 at The Mound at 16:30, which made me rather Happy, I would advise not going to far to catch the B5TL in case ends up with a few problems again over the weekend.

I also went along to Ocean Terminal and took some photos there and on the way back took some by a River I can't remember the name of on the 22 Route along Leith Walk, would recommend going along there as it is a lovely spot for photos, and I went to Harburn Hobbies where I bought the ELB Wright Pulsar 2 Model for £34.99 Destination Screen (Western General 113).

There are plenty of opportunities to get photos of the Trams as they running a frequently whilst on testing also, Last Hour or so I stayed near Waverley Station simply taking Photos of whatever came along, I would keep lookout for a Alexander Royale, as First had one out Today on the 62.

Overall I had a great day out, and I thinking already about booking tickets for in September for the Opens Doors Day Event at Central Depot, Dan can you set a Hashtag on the Photos Page #NEBGoes2Edinburgh, seeming so Me, You and Tom will have been over the Course of This Weekend, Hope you guys have a great time and I shall forward to seeing your Photos and Reviews.

As for me I am going get some scran I am starving and catch up on the Soaps while reading the Buses Magazine which I got read on the Train on the way up, and I will perhaps caption a few photos while I am at it.

(04 Apr 2014, 9:24 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Yes I did, been in the House about 35 Minutes and I am bloody shattered. When I arrived in Edinburgh at 09:20 it was Foggy and it was Raining up until around Midday, after that it stayed Dull but was reasonably warm otherwise.

I took a shed load of Photos along Princess Street/Waverley Bridge and The Mound, And also took half a dozen in the Worlds Worst Bus Station, Yes Edinburgh Bus Station tops the Almighty Eldon Square in my Personal Opinion.

I then got on the 27 up to Hunters Tryst to get photos of the B5TL, That unfortunately did not go to plan, as it had been taken off early doors with Suspension Problems, But I did catch it back out on the 27 at The Mound at 16:30, which made me rather Happy, I would advise not going to far to catch the B5TL in case ends up with a few problems again over the weekend.

I also went along to Ocean Terminal and took some photos there and on the way back took some by a River I can't remember the name of on the 22 Route, would recommend going along there as it is a lovely spot for photos, and I went to Harburn Hobbies where I bought the ELB Wright Pulsar 2 Model for £34.99 Destination Screen (Western General 113).

There are plenty of opportunities to get photos of the Trams as they running a frequently whilst on testing also, Last Hour or so I stayed near Waverley Station simply taking Photos of whatever came along, I would keep lookout for a Alexander Royale, as First had one out Today on the 62.

Overall I had a great day out, and I thinking already about booking tickets for in September for the Opens Doors Day Event at Central Depot, Dan can you set a Hashtag on the Photos Page #NEBGoes2Edinburgh, seeming so Me, You and Tom will have been over the Course of This Weekend, Hope you guys have a great time and I shall forward to seeing your Photos and Reviews.

As for me I am going get some scran I am starving and catch up on the Soaps while reading the Buses Magazine which I got read on the Train on the way up, and I will perhaps caption a few photos while I am at it.

Glad you had a good time, Adam. Sounds brilliant. I'll have to look out for the Royale(s), how many did you see?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 04 Apr 2014

(04 Apr 2014, 9:28 pm)Tom Glad you had a good time, Adam. Sounds brilliant. I'll have to look out for the Royale(s), how many did you see?

Just the one Royale and it came down North Bridge just up from Waverley Station, I think then turned Left and went Princess Street to go down to Haymarket, not entirely sure, but could of turned right and went down and around to Edinburgh Bus Station, but if your in that area you should see it, if it's out of course.

(04 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Just the one Royale and it came down North Bridge just up from Waverley Station, I think then turned Left and went Princess Street to go down to Haymarket, not entirely sure, but could of turned right and went down and around to Edinburgh Bus Station, but if your in that area you should see it, if it's out of course.

Let's hope so Wink

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 05 Apr 2014

(04 Apr 2014, 9:24 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Yes I did, been in the House about 35 Minutes and I am bloody shattered. When I arrived in Edinburgh at 09:20 it was Foggy and it was Raining up until around Midday, after that it stayed Dull but was reasonably warm otherwise.

I also went along to Ocean Terminal and took some photos there and on the way back took some by a River I can't remember the name of on the 22 Route along Leith Walk, would recommend going along there as it is a lovely spot for photos, and I went to Harburn Hobbies where I bought the ELB Wright Pulsar 2 Model for £34.99 Destination Screen (Western General 113).

Sounds like you had a cracking day Adam.

I'm looking to have a trip up on the 23rd, as I'm off work. Looking at train tickets now though, and I can actually go across to Glasgow and back for £8 quid more, so I'm thinking that instead. 07.42 off Newcastle, and the 18.30 off Edinburgh = £29.40.

Anyone fancy a trip up?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Malarkey - 05 Apr 2014

(05 Apr 2014, 1:06 pm)aureolin Sounds like you had a cracking day Adam.

I'm looking to have a trip up on the 23rd, as I'm off work. Looking at train tickets now though, and I can actually go across to Glasgow and back for £8 quid more, so I'm thinking that instead. 07.42 off Newcastle, and the 18.30 off Edinburgh = £29.40.

Anyone fancy a trip up?

I only paid £26.50 for the exact same Train Departures as stated above, Although I was in the Quiet Coach, so maybe a bit cheaper than any of the other carriages but of thought it of made a difference to be honest.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 05 Apr 2014

(05 Apr 2014, 1:06 pm)aureolin Sounds like you had a cracking day Adam.

Anyone fancy a trip up?

As much as I'd love to, I don't think I will be returning to Edinburgh until summer now (when, I imagine, it will be my overnight trip to Edinburgh from Sunderland via somewhere in Wales, London and Glasgow, with opportunities for Inverness too. September and October will be my trips to Edinburgh after that.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 05 Apr 2014

(05 Apr 2014, 2:31 pm)Dan As much as I'd love to, I don't think I will be returning to Edinburgh until summer now (when, I imagine, it will be my overnight trip to Edinburgh from Sunderland via somewhere in Wales, London and Glasgow, with opportunities for Inverness too. September and October will be my trips to Edinburgh after that.

I'm having a fab day, Premier Inn is faultless, and has a beautiful view of the castle.