North East Buses
Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Bus Related Outings and Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=307)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 06 Feb 2015

(06 Feb 2015, 7:35 pm)MarcTheA4 Members of rt ge the Green family are a lot stronger than you think, GRAHAM! Tongue Tongue

I don't think I could last that long on a Merc judging by 5306 and 5308, which I had previously on the 36 and couldn't stand. However, anything rare or odd and I could happily last an hour and a bit. Wink

Anyway, I normally plan my day and it never follows the exact thing. I'll plan a 10 from Newcastle to the MetroCentre and wind up using a Toon Link or Diamond or something lol. I'll see how things end up during the adventure.

Thanks all for your suggestions though! Big Grin

Aye I wouldnt imagine the whole route would be nice.

Maybe you should just do it to Sunderland, get a X36 to Boldon, then a 9 to Shields?

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 06 Feb 2015

(06 Feb 2015, 7:32 pm)Dan Connections are awfully tight.

Might it be worth staying on the 36 all the way to Town End Farm (if Marcus could actually endure such a long journey), hopping off, waiting for 15 minutes for the next 35 to Boldon (photographing any Stagecoach buses in the area), then getting on a 9 to North Shields from there? If it's a Jarrow short - even better - jump on that then have some time for photos at Jarrow.

I would not get off a bus in Town End Farm for a kings ransom, the whole of that Area (Downhill, Red House incl.) Looks rough

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 06 Feb 2015

(06 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm)MrFozz I would not get off a bus in Town End Farm for a kings ransom, the whole of that Area (Downhill, Red House incl.) Looks rough

Haha.. fair point.

First and last time:
[Image: 9014239222_c99b81e4df.jpg]Exterior shot of Go North East's 8321, Optare Versa V1110/Optare Versa by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 07 Feb 2015

Well, I'm going to have a big day today. Already at the Metro station heading to Newcastle - been quite a while since I've had a big one so time to make up for it!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Michael - 07 Feb 2015

(07 Feb 2015, 8:21 am)Dan Well, I'm going to have a big day today. Already at the Metro station heading to Newcastle - been quite a while since I've had a big one so time to make up for it!

Did it arrive on time?

(07 Feb 2015, 12:17 pm)Michael Did it arrive on time?
Aye - surprisingly!
Didn't get to Newcastle on-time. Not sure why but it stopped at almost every signal. Wasn't a freight train due in front of it or anything.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Michael - 07 Feb 2015

(07 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm)Dan Aye - surprisingly!
Didn't get to Newcastle on-time. Not sure why but it stopped at almost every signal. Wasn't a freight train due in front of it or anything.

=0, well that's just typical, its on time but you arrive late! haha

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 07 Feb 2015

My outing from today on a Get Around day ticket;

#36 - Riverside Cricket Ground to Houghton-le-Spring Church - (09:51 --- 10:13) - GNE 5303 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
I put £4 on the tray, expecting a nice fresh Get Around ticket that looked perfect. I got something with barely any ink on it. As the driver handed me my change, I told him I could barely see the date on it. (This would never be a problem with a single journey, but I could be using this ticket on dozens of buses throughout the day). He sighed and just looked at me. God, I don't know what it is with these Deptford drivers but they've come to Chester-le-Street with an attitude I really don't like. They're in unfamiliar territory, in Park Lane I could understand, but it's really getting on my nerves. My 3rd journey on the 36 service, and it's twice I've gotten on feeling irritated at the attitude of the driver...nonetheless, with a terrible ticket in my hand I sat down and enjoyed the journey on 5303. Much better than 5306 or 5308. 

#20A - Houghton-le-Spring Church to Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange - (10:16 --- 10:43) - GNE 5212 - Scania L94UA/Wright Solar
I boarded this with my bad ticket. The driver had to look at it for about 5 seconds more than usual, as he could barely see the date. But he was a rather pleasant old guy, unlike the one in 5303...5212 was actually really nice between Houghton and then as we got within sight of Park Lane, it started to sound rough as anything. Engine screaming, the lot! I was glad to get off in the end, but overall it was a pleasant journey I had in this PB Scania.

#9 - Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to North Shields Town Centre - (10:49 --- 11:55) - GNE 5247 - Scania CN230UB/Scania OmniCity
Was pleasantly surprised by an OmniCity showing up on the 9, as they seem rather rare. Did see 5249 on too while we headed to North Shields, along with 6008 and 6039 on the shorts to Jarrow. The ride quality itself was absolutely brilliant, I couldn't fault it! I sank into my seat for the whole of the very quiet journey and not a complaint was made...in terms of comfort. But, we had the slowest goddamn driver alive!! He was terrible - surprised he wasn't pulled over for going too slow! We must have lost about 10 minutes of time because of his speed...

#310 - North Shields Town Centre to Newcastle, Haymarket Bus Station - (12:04 --- 12:50) - GNE 6103 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2 
I had seen 6103 waiting to depart when I got off 5247, but it was 6116 and I wanted a proper Cobalt Wink. No sooner had 6116 departed at 11:56, 6103 rolled round the corner at 11:58. I stood at the stop for a minute after the loads had left, and I saw the driver sitting in his cab doing nothing. I assumed he was staying on. I get on - 'GET OFF!, WE'RE CHANGING DRIVERS!'. He hadn't looked like he had been getting off, and there was no other driver present, he was just sitting there doing nothing...absolute shithead. I just naturally said 'oh, sorry', like I had been raised to do - but I should have told him to do something. He pissed off to his van back to Percy Main (I assume!) and at 12:02 the next driver turned up. He was much nicer than the old twat I'd just seen, and I sat upstairs at the front. I can't fault the condition of these Cobalt B9s - granted, this is my first journey on one, and that may seem a bit cocky of me to say that, but unless 6103 is special - then these buses are fantastic. Not a rattle or squeak I could hear!

#45 - Newcastle, Eldon Square to MetroCentre Interchange - (12:56 --- 13:20) - GNE 3823 - Volvo Olympian/NC Palatine 2
This was what made my day! Saw an Olympian waiting on the 45 when I arrived into Haymarket on the 310, and went for it. Again, like on 5212, the driver couldn't read the ticket, and needed to take it off me to check the date...possibly because she was woman. Lol no just kidding, I like women drivers Tongue. I told her I had bought it this morning, and that the ticket was really messed up. We had a bit of a laugh about it and she genuinely lovely. I sat at the front upstairs for the whole of the rather short journey. It was most enjoyable.

#X66 - MetroCentre Interchange to Gateshead Interchange - (13:28 --- 13:38) - GNE 4918 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
After going over for some photos in the coach park, I hopped on 4918 to Gateshead. Again, the driver struggled to read the date on the ticket, and at first thought I was showing him a Buzzfare of some sort! That ticket machine on 5303 was starting to affect my day...but overall 4918 had all the great qualities and sounds of a Renown! Smile

#21 - Gateshead Interchange to Chester-le-Street - (13:42 --- 14:10) - GNE 6061 - Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2
I had a driver I knew very well, Paul. A lovely chap. Always smiling and friendly, does a lot of overtime so I seem him more regularly than others. Not only is he a safe driver, he is absolutely great the controls and can make a 30-odd minute journey go easily. Maybe the fact that hardly anyone was getting on may have had an effect on how fast we got to Chester, but 6061 was lovely to ride on this occasion - and seeing Paul again managed to change the way driver's attitudes had been throughout the day and put me back in a good mood. If you ever need a good driver - come to Chester! Big Grin

#36 - Chester-le-Street to Riverside Cricket Ground - (14:14 --- 14:20) - GNE 5299 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Right, another Deptford bus and driver in Chester-le-Street - let's have a look. I get on and show him my Key card and my Get Around - and he can't even read the text at all! He was looking at me like I was showing him a blank ticket! Not a smile or a facial expression, he just got closer to it then nodded. At least he didn't sigh or anything...so I just took my seat on 5299. Now, this bus was just fantastic. Smoothest Merc I'd had on the 36 so far, my seat was lovely and warm and the bus didn't rattle whatsoever. When it got to my stop (now given a name rather than 'My House' Big Grin) I thanked the driver, and he didn't even look at me... Sad I know it's not in the driver's priorities, but surely at least looking at your customer should be a big point made by Customer Services. I'm just going to make it 2-2, I've had 2 rather rude or clumsy drivers and 2 who haven't really done anything. When I get an exceptional Deptford driver in CLS, I'll let you all know!

I did enjoy my day on the whole, and I hope you enjoyed reading!  Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 07 Feb 2015

(07 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm)Dan Aye - surprisingly!

The NMT (43013, 43014) was prancing across the North East today, it arrived at Newcastle at about the same time as you

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 07 Feb 2015

Looks like a good day Marcus!
Your lucky it wasn't a B10BLE on the 9.

Don't expect owt flash off me like Marcus gives you all...

0821 Metro: Stadium of Light to Haymarket - T&WM 4083
0903 X18: Haymarket to Morpeth - ANE 7529
0947 (10l) 35A: Morpeth to North Seaton - ANE 7519
1043 (3l) 35A: North Seaton to Ashington - ANE 7519
1132 1: Ashington to Blyth - ANE 1402
1253 X5: Blyth to Cramlington - ANE 7607
1337 52: Cramlington to Dudley - ANE 1497
1415 52: Dudley to Killingworth - ANE 4517
1427 (5l) 62: Killingworth to Newcastle - SNE 22029
1550ish 309: Newcastle to Sandyford - GNE 6104
1603 58: Sandyford to Newcastle - GNE 5388
1620ish Metro: Newcastle to Millfield - T&WM 4019
1714 700: Millfield to Stadium of Light - GNE 640

Back home safe and sound for 17:35!

Was pleasantly surprised by 7529 - managed to overtake a few cars on the A1! 22029 sounded a bit strange - didn't half have some power though - even gave 4517 a run for its money. Best bus of the day has to be 6104 - sure DaveyBowyer would agree!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - DanPicken - 07 Feb 2015

(07 Feb 2015, 6:34 pm)Dan Don't expect owt flash off me like Marcus gives you all...

0821 Metro: Stadium of Light to Haymarket - T&WM 4083
0903 X18: Haymarket to Morpeth - ANE 7529
0947 (10l) 35A: Morpeth to North Seaton - ANE 7519
1043 (3l) 35A: North Seaton to Ashington - ANE 7519
1132 1: Ashington to Blyth - ANE 1402
1253 X5: Blyth to Cramlington - ANE 7607
1337 52: Cramlington to Dudley - ANE 1497
1415 52: Dudley to Killingworth - ANE 4517
1427 (5l) 62: Killingworth to Newcastle - SNE 22029
1550ish 309: Newcastle to Sandyford - GNE 6104
1603 58: Sandyford to Newcastle - GNE 5388
1620ish Metro: Newcastle to Millfield - T&WM 4019
1714 700: Millfield to Stadium of Light - GNE 640

Back home safe and sound for 17:35!

Was pleasantly surprised by 7529 - managed to overtake a few cars on the A1! 22029 sounded a bit strange - didn't half have some power though - even gave 4517 a run for its money. Best bus of the day has to be 6104 - sure DaveyBowyer would agree!

I would of seen you had 1311 not been 6 late.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - LeeCalder - 11 Feb 2015

I've only been on 2 buses today! But here is my log -

15:01 - 23 Barley Mow Est to Birtley Crem (NJ11 EXJ)
Me and an elderly gentleman were waiting for the 82 in Barley Mow for a good 15-20 mins, unfortunatly one didn't turn up although it was scheduled to. We did though, see the 23 come down the bank so we hopped on that. The driver was very canny, although he loved his brakes! It cost me £1.30 to get to the Crem so about the same cost as the 82 to Birtley. Anyway, this is my favourite Pheonix bus, I have a really comfortable seat at the front! 9/10

15:23 - 21 Birtley to Barley Mow (6059)
Not this bloody bus again! It's like a magnet! I wasn't so happy with this short trip. The driver clearly didn't want to be there. He was rude, kept speeding up/braking very sharply and wasn't dressed properly. I hate this bus, it has a curse haha!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 11 Feb 2015

(11 Feb 2015, 6:53 pm)leestransportphotos I've only been on 2 buses today! But here is my log -

15:01 - 23 Barley Mow Est to Birtley Crem (NJ11 EXJ)
Me and an elderly gentleman were waiting for the 82 in Barley Mow for a good 15-20 mins, unfortunatly one didn't turn up although it was scheduled to. We did though, see the 23 come down the bank so we hopped on that. The driver was very canny, although he loved his brakes! It cost me £1.30 to get to the Crem so about the same cost as the 82 to Birtley. Anyway, this is my favourite Pheonix bus, I have a really comfortable seat at the front! 9/10

15:23 - 21 Birtley to Barley Mow (6059)
Not this bloody bus again! It's like a magnet! I wasn't so happy with this short trip. The driver clearly didn't want to be there. He was rude, kept speeding up/braking very sharply and wasn't dressed properly. I hate this bus, it has a curse haha! If anyone is interested the driver was 3093

The 82 is a joke. I've saw several complaints about it on GNE's facebook page, and on Saturday, it was about 10 minutes late at Heworth!

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Michael - 11 Feb 2015

(11 Feb 2015, 6:56 pm)Tom The 82 is a joke. I've saw several complaints about it on GNE's facebook page, and on Saturday, it was about 10 minutes late at Heworth!

I think its since they changed it, its got worse.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 14 Feb 2015

My Get Around from today is as follows;

#36 - Riverside to Houghton-le-Spring Church - (09:55 --- 10:13) - GNE 8258 - DAF SB120/Wright Cadet
This bus was very nice, and I think it might be my first Deptford-based Cadet. Driver was surprisingly friendly, and greeted me as I got on, which added a bit to the journey given what they have been like previously. Journey was very quiet, everyone who did get on got on on Avenue Vivian. Had it all to myself before that, and I feel this set my day off to a great start.

#20A - Houghton-le-Spring Church to Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange - (10:16 --- 10:40) - GNE 4992 - Scania L94UA/Wright Solar
Another very nice Deptford driver, looked like my opinion had been changed. 4992 made for a very nice journey, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The journey itself had no more than 20 people on at any one time, which makes a change to what some of these 20s can be like at this time on a Saturday morning.

#56 - Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to Wrekenton High Street - (10:48 --- 11:39) - GNE 6091 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
Three in a row, as this driver was another friendly chap. Bus itself was very quiet, and added to the journey quality. 6091 was extremely smooth, and I had the front seats upstairs to myself all the way to Wrekenton. I did consider getting off at Concord as there was a few things stationary in the bus station, but I opted to stay on and not destroy my plan. 

#52 - Wrekenton High Street to Gateshead Interchange - (11:53 --- 12:39) - GNE 8338 - Optare Versa V1110/Optare
God this was a nightmare. The scruffiest of people got on just outside of Wrekenton, and a child with them was turning around pulling rape faces at me...not only that, 8338 was a disgrace! Every bump in the road meant a bump at the front then another feeling at the back. Every single knock or rattle could be felt. But, having said that, nothing beats the seats on a Versa, some of the softest I've ever had!

#28 - Gateshead Interchange to Pelton Church - (13:03 --- 13:35) - GNE 4930 - Scania L94UA/Wright Solar
Guess who my driver was?? Pat. Tongue When I got on she asked me how I was, etc, and she provided a very careful and comfortable journey. And Solars are hard beasts to tame! When I got off we had a brief conversation as there were a couple of people on (presumably going to Beamish) and then I disembarked.

I got off at Pelton Church for a reason - I decided to pay a visit to my grandparent's grave. After locating it and saying a few words, etc, I just left and walked down to Pelton Schools. When I got to Pelton Schools, I saw 4904 on the 78 heading to Sunderland, and I think I may have seen Tom on.  Wink

#34A - Pelton Schools to Chester-le-Street Market Place - (13:59 --- 14:06) - GNE 8302 - Optare Versa V1110/Optare
Another comfortable journey on a Versa. And it wasn't ruined by a bumpy rattly body on it, or scruffy people getting on. I enjoyed this little journey.

#X22 - Chester-le-Street Market Place to Clifford Terrace Chapel - (14:09 --- 14:12) - GNE 6016 - Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
Running extremely late, I didn't notice this until I got on and realised it should have been here over 15 mins ago! lol A pretty good journey on a Volvo President, albeit short. Driver seemed a bit of a comedian with the OAPs. Not bad.

Had a great day out, and only for £3.75! Smile

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 14 Feb 2015

(14 Feb 2015, 3:50 pm)MarcTheA4 My Get Around from today is as follows;

#36 - Riverside to Houghton-le-Spring Church - (09:55 --- 10:13) - GNE 8258 - DAF SB120/Wright Cadet
This bus was very nice, and I think it might be my first Deptford-based Cadet. Driver was surprisingly friendly, and greeted me as I got on, which added a bit to the journey given what they have been like previously. Journey was very quiet, everyone who did get on got on on Avenue Vivian. Had it all to myself before that, and I feel this set my day off to a great start.

#20A - Houghton-le-Spring Church to Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange - (10:16 --- 10:40) - GNE 4992 - Scania L94UA/Wright Solar
Another very nice Deptford driver, looked like my opinion had been changed. 4992 made for a very nice journey, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The journey itself had no more than 20 people on at any one time, which makes a change to what some of these 20s can be like at this time on a Saturday morning.

#56 - Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to Wrekenton High Street - (10:48 --- 11:39) - GNE 6091 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
Three in a row, as this driver was another friendly chap. Bus itself was very quiet, and added to the journey quality. 6091 was extremely smooth, and I had the front seats upstairs to myself all the way to Wrekenton. I did consider getting off at Concord as there was a few things stationary in the bus station, but I opted to stay on and not destroy my plan. 

#52 - Wrekenton High Street to Gateshead Interchange - (11:53 --- 12:39) - GNE 8338 - Optare Versa V1110/Optare
God this was a nightmare. The scruffiest of people got on just outside of Wrekenton, and a child with them was turning around pulling rape faces at me...not only that, 8338 was a disgrace! Every bump in the road meant a bump at the front then another feeling at the back. Every single knock or rattle could be felt. But, having said that, nothing beats the seats on a Versa, some of the softest I've ever had!

#28 - Gateshead Interchange to Pelton Church - (13:03 --- 13:35) - GNE 4930 - Scania L94UA/Wright Solar
Guess who my driver was?? Pat. Tongue When I got on she asked me how I was, etc, and she provided a very careful and comfortable journey. And Solars are hard beasts to tame! When I got off we had a brief conversation as there were a couple of people on (presumably going to Beamish) and then I disembarked.

I got off at Pelton Church for a reason - I decided to pay a visit to my grandparent's grave. After locating it and saying a few words, etc, I just left and walked down to Pelton Schools. When I got to Pelton Schools, I saw 4904 on the 78 heading to Sunderland, and I think I may have seen Tom on.  Wink

#34A - Pelton Schools to Chester-le-Street Market Place - (13:59 --- 14:06) - GNE 8302 - Optare Versa V1110/Optare
Another comfortable journey on a Versa. And it wasn't ruined by a bumpy rattly body on it, or scruffy people getting on. I enjoyed this little journey.

#X22 - Chester-le-Street Market Place to Clifford Terrace Chapel - (14:09 --- 14:12) - GNE 6016 - Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
Running extremely late, I didn't notice this until I got on and realised it should have been here over 15 mins ago! lol A pretty good journey on a Volvo President, albeit short. Driver seemed a bit of a comedian with the OAPs. Not bad.

Had a great day out, and only for £3.75! Smile

People from Wrekenton/Gateshead are scruffy. Worse than Cramlington, but not as bad as Chester-le-Street or Sunderland. 

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 14 Feb 2015

(14 Feb 2015, 5:10 pm)Tommy_1581 People from Wrekenton/Gateshead are scruffy. Worse than Cramlington, but not as bad as Chester-le-Street or Sunderland. 

I think you'll find there is one specific area of CLS that is renowned for its rough people, and as a result people get the impression we are all like this...

They live in 'the avenues', the majority of them. Most of them just sleep in their own clothes for a few days before buying new ones at the market at the weekend.

There are a lot of nice areas of Chester-le-Street, such as where I live; an area many desire to live in, but people who do not live here, or come here often, will obviously not know this...

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 14 Feb 2015

(14 Feb 2015, 5:10 pm)Tommy_1581 People from Wrekenton/Gateshead are scruffy. Worse than Cramlington, but not as bad as Chester-le-Street or Sunderland. 

(14 Feb 2015, 5:18 pm)MarcTheA4 I think you'll find there is one specific area of CLS that is renowned for its rough people, and as a result people get the impression we are all like this...

They live in 'the avenues', the majority of them. Most of them just sleep in their own clothes for a few days before buying new ones at the market at the weekend.

There are a lot of nice areas of Chester-le-Street, such as where I live; an area many desire to live in, but people who do not live here, or come here often, will obviously not know this...
Very good stereotyping there lads

Cant be as bad as Easington Lane, Sberburn Road or Woodhouse Close in Bishop

Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 14 Feb 2015

(14 Feb 2015, 5:23 pm)MrFozz Very good stereotyping there lads

Cant be as bad as Easington Lane, Sberburn Road or Woodhouse Close in Bishop

Just trying to defend my hometown. A lot of people get the impression that people from Chester-le-Street are all scruffs, I'd like to see this kid's local area in comparison!

Stereotyping or not, I still find it to be a bit unfair on a lot of us.

Chester-le-Street has some very posh areas, but while it does have some bad places, it is overall a nice place, and I have enjoyed living here for the entire of my life. I couldn't imagine living somewhere else.