North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Tom - 03 Nov 2013

(03 Nov 2013, 10:03 am)Dan I believe the VIP card is the Stagecoach equivalent of Go North East's Key Card. If I lose that, I am no longer entitled to the reduced fares it provides.
If I did lose it, it would be my fault. I'm the type of person to have a spare card too, so this is unlikely to happen - but my point still stands.
I'm sure it will be the same story for Arriva too, but we like to focus on Go North East... don't we? Wink

Arriva have a 80p flat fare in Tyne and Wear. They have a teencard which allows any Under18 (?) to travel for 90p anywhere in Northumberland/T&W.

RE: Pricing - CatsFast101 - 03 Nov 2013

(03 Nov 2013, 9:54 am)citaro5284 So, how is it the bus companies fault that he misplaced it and it is sitting somewhere unactivated. I do not complain to Barclays if I lose my debit card and it is my fault.

Also instead of just discussing GNE keycards on here.....what child fares do Arriva and Stagecoach operate to?

You have a bank card which you will use on a daily basis. A key card just in case you need a bus is like paying for a card to go through the Tyne tunnel which I haven't been through in about 10 months (living in County Durham I don't need to all that often). The point is what do GNE get out of this use of key cards, what is the logic? Explain it to me?

RE: Pricing - Dan - 03 Nov 2013

(03 Nov 2013, 10:20 am)Tom Arriva have a 80p flat fare in Tyne and Wear. They have a teencard which allows any Under18 (?) to travel for 90p anywhere in Northumberland/T&W.

As a 16 year old who holds a POP card and is said to look between 16 and 18 years old, would I still be entitled to this flat fare of 80p within Tyne and Wear or would the driver argue that I was an adult as there is no proof that I am indeed a child?
Similarly, if I didn't hold a 'Teen Card', is there any proof I'm actually under 18 years of age and am entitled to this fare?

Like I say, the examples are common across all operators. Personally, I'm glad we have such a system which enables us to have various cards to prove our age. I think it's only right that if a teenager teenager doesn't look like s/he is entitled to the discounted fare and they do not hold ID which proves they are, that they have to pay the normal rate.
As I said earlier, perhaps 11 years of age is too young for these passes to be mandantory and 14 years of age would be more appropriate... It's a shame we don't get more of a say.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 03 Nov 2013

(03 Nov 2013, 9:54 am)citaro5284 So, how is it the bus companies fault that he misplaced it and it is sitting somewhere unactivated. I do not complain to Barclays if I lose my debit card and it is my fault.

Also instead of just discussing GNE keycards on here.....what child fares do Arriva and Stagecoach operate to?

It's funny you should say that. I bank with NatWest and the time I lost my bank card, I gave them a quick call, and they gave me a code to allow me to withdraw some cash from my account. You know? The common sense approach. Wink

Also I thought we were discussing both GNE Keycards and Nexus POP cards? Huh To be honest though, I find Arriva drivers show a lot more leniency than GNE drivers do. The latter appear to quick to follow the rules to the latter. Something you simply can't do in customer services. I have no experience of Stagecoach up here so I can't comment on them.

RE: Pricing - citaro5284 - 03 Nov 2013

(03 Nov 2013, 10:39 am)CatsFast101 You have a bank card which you will use on a daily basis. A key card just in case you need a bus is like paying for a card to go through the Tyne tunnel which I haven't been through in about 10 months (living in County Durham I don't need to all that often). The point is what do GNE get out of this use of key cards, what is the logic? Explain it to me?

First, I was meaning there is a system in place to get my money from the Bank, like there is a system to get cheaper rates. If my new card comes through the post and I just put it down and forget where I have put it, Barclays cannot be blamed, a bit like the example you gave. You got a key card and because you either did not activate it or not used it, it is now lost and GNE cannot be held responsible for that surely.

Second, if you read online things like route one, bus and coach most operators are going to smartcards......that will give you some indication what the logic is behind bus operators switching to smartcards.

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 03 Nov 2013

(03 Nov 2013, 10:20 am)Tom Arriva have a 80p flat fare in Tyne and Wear. They have a teencard which allows any Under18 (?) to travel for 90p anywhere in Northumberland/T&W.

Teencard is valid across the Arriva North East network except the 93/X93 between Middlesbrough and Scarborough and the X24 between Durham and Metrocentre. Maximum fare is 90p if I remember right which is excellent value.

(03 Nov 2013, 2:29 pm)tyresmoke Teencard is valid across the Arriva North East network except the 93/X93 between Middlesbrough and Scarborough and the X24 between Durham and Metrocentre. Maximum fare is 90p if I remember right which is excellent value.

Ah right, cheers. I thought it was just Northumberland, but yeah, that is excellent value! Is it valid on the 685 too?

Re: RE: Pricing - Adrian - 03 Nov 2013

(03 Nov 2013, 2:29 pm)tyresmoke Teencard is valid across the Arriva North East network except the 93/X93 between Middlesbrough and Scarborough and the X24 between Durham and Metrocentre. Maximum fare is 90p if I remember right which is excellent value.

Is that 90p regardless of time of day? I.e. no peak/off peak fares?

(03 Nov 2013, 2:33 pm)aureolin Is that 90p regardless of time of day? I.e. no peak/off peak fares?

Just off peak.
http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/teencard/

(03 Nov 2013, 2:33 pm)aureolin Is that 90p regardless of time of day? I.e. no peak/off peak fares?

Information regarding TeenCards can be seen here. It seems there is two separate Teen Cards. One for Northumberland and Tyne and Wear, one for County Durham, Darlington and Richmond.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 03 Nov 2013

(03 Nov 2013, 2:35 pm)Dan Just off peak.
http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/teencard/

Free replacement of damaged cards - but £5 for the first card and £10 for a lost card

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 03 Nov 2013

But where can I go?

You can travel on all Arrive buses in Northumberland,
on services 685 and 185 in Cumbria and on Arriva
services in Tyne & Wear, north of the Tyne and along
the Tyne Valley

80p to travel between Newcastle and Carlisle with the Arriva Teen Card. That's a bargain!

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 03 Nov 2013

(03 Nov 2013, 2:42 pm)AdamY 80p to travel between Newcastle and Carlisle with the Arriva Teen Card. That's a bargain!

It seems as though there are some quite attractive ticket options available with Arriva

(03 Nov 2013, 3:18 pm)Andreos1 It seems as though there are some quite attractive ticket options available with Arriva

Yeah, but many aren't well-known.

(03 Nov 2013, 2:42 pm)AdamY 80p to travel between Newcastle and Carlisle with the Arriva Teen Card. That's a bargain!

I think it's equally as good value that you can get from Middlesborugh to Newcastle, or Hexham to Newcastle for 90p using a Under 18 Key card.

Isn't the X10 excluded from the off peak 90p single?

(03 Nov 2013, 5:23 pm)Dan Isn't the X10 excluded from the off peak 90p single?

I wasn't aware of that, but am now thanks. Wink That's a bit crap to be honest.

(03 Nov 2013, 5:30 pm)aureolin I wasn't aware of that, but am now thanks. Wink That's a bit crap to be honest.

I wasn't sure, but something told me it was. I guess you can still get on a Pulsar or Gemini on the X1/X2 for 90p instead!

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 04 Nov 2013

(03 Nov 2013, 5:36 pm)Dan I wasn't sure, but something told me it was. I guess you can still get on a Pulsar or Gemini on the X1/X2 for 90p instead!

Could it be done on the x7?

RE: Pricing - Dan - 04 Nov 2013

(04 Nov 2013, 11:25 am)Andreos1 Could it be done on the x7?

Nothing on the website to suggest otherwise.