North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 10 Nov 2013

Yesterday I got quoted on the 21 from Durham Road to Birtley £2.65 for a Single then £1.45 from Birtley to Lambton, costing me £4.10 to get home from my Dads House Today, whereas if I walk into Gateshead and get a Metro/Bus Transfare it'll cost me £2.60, Saving me £1.50. Someone tell me how this is even possible, even a Single/Return on the X1 from Gateshead is more Expensive also.

RE: Pricing - Tom - 10 Nov 2013

(10 Nov 2013, 2:27 pm)Adam Malarkey Yesterday I got quoted on the 21 from Durham Road to Birtley £2.65 for a Single then £1.45 from Birtley to Lambton, costing me £4.10 to get home from my Dads House Today, whereas if I walk into Gateshead and get a Metro/Bus Transfare it'll cost me £2.60, Saving me £1.50. Someone tell me how this is even possible, even a Single/Return on the X1 from Gateshead is more Expensive also.

That's ridiculous. £2.65 from Durham Road to Birtley?! - It's only £1.80 from Newcastle to the Cannon Inn on the X2 from Newcastle, so I'd image it would be the same Birtley-Gateshead Smile

(10 Nov 2013, 2:38 pm)Tom That's ridiculous. £2.65 from Durham Road to Birtley?! - It's only £1.80 from Newcastle to the Cannon Inn on the X2 from Newcastle, so I'd image it would be the same Birtley-Gateshead Smile

Went for the Metro Option and it was going to cost me £4.10 for a Metro/Bus Transfare from Gateshead to Washington as it's apparently 2 Zones. So I got the X1 instead and paid £3.15 from Gateshead to Washington Galleries and Walked. I'm just confused how on the Bus from Newcastle/Gateshead to Washington it is one Zone(Purple), But on the Metro it is 2 Zones.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 10 Nov 2013

(10 Nov 2013, 9:53 pm)Adam Malarkey Went for the Metro Option and it was going to cost me £4.10 for a Metro/Bus Transfare from Gateshead to Washington as it's apparently 2 Zones. So I got the X1 instead and paid £3.15 from Gateshead to Washington Galleries and Walked. I'm just confused how on the Bus from Newcastle/Gateshead to Washington it is one Zone(Purple), But on the Metro it is 2 Zones.

Same £3.15 I paid from Chester Le Street to Washington. Simple fares that make no sense. Big Grin

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 10 Nov 2013

(10 Nov 2013, 9:56 pm)aureolin Same £3.15 I paid from Chester Le Street to Washington. Simple fares that make no sense. Big Grin

Wonder how much it is from Chester to Birtley on the 21?
If the M2/M3 is £1.45 from Birtley to Lambton, will it be cheaper doing it that way...

(10 Nov 2013, 10:00 pm)andreos1 Wonder how much it is from Chester to Birtley on the 21?
If the M2/M3 is £1.45 from Birtley to Lambton, will it be cheaper doing it that way...

£2.65 Andreos1 from Gateshead to Birtley, I was no where near Chester, So it would cost the same as the Metro at £4.10, so cheapest option for me was a £3.15 Single on the X1 back to Washington then Walking to Lambton.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 10 Nov 2013

(10 Nov 2013, 10:42 pm)Adam Malarkey £2.65 Andreos1 from Gateshead to Birtley, I was no where near Chester, So it would cost the same as the Metro at £4.10, so cheapest option for me was a £3.15 Single on the X1 back to Washington then Walking to Lambton.

Yeah, I got where you were going to/from - all crazy fares, that make no sense at all.

I was replying to aureolin's response for the fare from Chester to Washington in that message above though.

RE: Pricing - gtom - 10 Nov 2013

(10 Nov 2013, 10:00 pm)andreos1 Wonder how much it is from Chester to Birtley on the 21?

It becomes complicated as Birtley gets included in the Town and City Zone for CLS. You can buy savers though it's not on the GNE websites

Last time I got one the driver took an age to find it

RE: Pricing - Tom - 21 Nov 2013

£2.60 from Byker to Rosehill. Hmmm! - My mam told be about it and said that price is shocking, and she only paid £1.45 to Byker Shopping Park/Asda? :o

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 28 Nov 2013

£4.60 from Craghead to Consett!
Mindboggling!

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 13 Dec 2013

So I had my rant above about Chester le street to Washington being £3.15. So just to add some confusion to the mix:

Chester le street to Metrocentre on X22 = you guessed it... £3.15. Yet the X66 is £2.60? Baffling.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 13 Dec 2013

(13 Dec 2013, 1:59 pm)aureolin So I had my rant above about Chester le street to Washington being £3.15. So just to add some confusion to the mix:

Chester le street to Metrocentre on X22 = you guessed it... £3.15. Yet the X66 is £2.60? Baffling.

Whereas Chester to Gateshead is £3.15 too...

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 03 Jan 2014

The Chronicle have had to name bus companies in this article...

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/arriva-north-east-bus-fares-6464053?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 03 Jan 2014

(03 Jan 2014, 10:19 am)andreos1 The Chronicle have had to name bus companies in this article...

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/arriva-north-east-bus-fares-6464053?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"One message said: “I have had to stop using the buses as it is now cheaper for me to drive. I live in Bedlington and work at Metrocentre, and it was costing £9.30 a day for an Explorer North East which would mean a quarter of my wages went on bus fares."

That's ridiculous to be fair. I've just taken a look, and can't find a cheaper method of doing it. Arriva run an hourly 84 service on behalf of Nexus, but the first one is 10.11.

It is worth noting that the price the customer had to pay would be almost half the price under QCS. Wink Money worries, Mr. Souter?

RE: Pricing - Dan - 03 Jan 2014

On the whole, as a POP card and a Key Card holder, I really can't complain about fares...
In summer I was doing 100+ miles a day on various buses for £3.65. Think I worked one out as being just under 150 miles, again for the same price.
Granted I ain't the average customer and nobody in the right mind would travel that much when purchasing that £3.65 ticket, but it'd be difficult to achieve such a great value ticket elsewhere.

EDIT: Just looked - Newcastle to Edinburgh via the A1 is 120 miles. Thought that was worth noting.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 03 Jan 2014

(03 Jan 2014, 11:19 am)Dan On the whole, as a POP card and a Key Card holder, I really can't complain about fares...
In summer I was doing 100+ miles a day on various buses for £3.65. Think I worked one out as being just under 150 miles, again for the same price.
Granted I ain't the average customer and nobody in the right mind would travel that much when purchasing that £3.65 ticket, but it'd be difficult to achieve such a great value ticket elsewhere.

The Get Around day tickets are cracking value from Go North East. As are the daily day rover tickets for young people. The only gripes I have about them is charging kids more in Durham when they need to get to and from school, then dropping the price outside those times. Just doesn't seem right to me. Undecided

The adult fares somewhat irritate me, but that's mainly because I don't think they make sense.

(03 Jan 2014, 11:12 am)aureolin "One message said: “I have had to stop using the buses as it is now cheaper for me to drive. I live in Bedlington and work at Metrocentre, and it was costing £9.30 a day for an Explorer North East which would mean a quarter of my wages went on bus fares."

That's ridiculous to be fair. I've just taken a look, and can't find a cheaper method of doing it. Arriva run an hourly 84 service on behalf of Nexus, but the first one is 10.11.

It is worth noting that the price the customer had to pay would be almost half the price under QCS. Wink Money worries, Mr. Souter?

I wonder what the equivelant fare would have been before ANE did the depot swap at Hexham.
An Arriva bus to Haymarket and then an Arriva bus to the Metrocentre would be a lot cheaper than the cost of an explorer ticket.

RE: Pricing - busman101 - 03 Jan 2014

(03 Jan 2014, 11:32 am)andreos1 I wonder what the equivelant fare would have been before ANE did the depot swap at Hexham.
An Arriva bus to Haymarket and then an Arriva bus to the Metrocentre would be a lot cheaper than the cost of an explorer ticket.

The fare would have been the Regionwide Arriva Day Ticket as the Triple Ticket didn't exist at the time.

aureolin Wrote:
"One message said: “I have had to stop using the buses as it is now cheaper for me to drive. I live in Bedlington and work at Metrocentre, and it was costing £9.30 a day for an Explorer North East which would mean a quarter of my wages went on bus fares."

As Arriva's South East Northumberland express routes wouldn't be part of the QCS, the fare would still be the same as it is now if a QCS happens

(03 Jan 2014, 9:00 pm)busman101 The fare would have been the Regionwide Arriva Day Ticket as the Triple Ticket didn't exist at the time.

aureolin Wrote:

As Arriva's South East Northumberland express routes wouldn't be part of the QCS, the fare would still be the same as it is now if a QCS happens

£7.30 for a regionwide ticket.
Guessing a triple ticket is 3zones at £6.70 a pop.

Any idea of ticket prices pre depot swap?
Obviously the fares will have increased since then, but quite curious to see.

RE: Pricing - busman101 - 03 Jan 2014

(03 Jan 2014, 9:25 pm)andreos1 £7.30 for a regionwide ticket.
Guessing a triple ticket is 3zones at £6.70 a pop.

Any idea of ticket prices pre depot swap?
Obviously the fares will have increased since then, but quite curious to see.

Now you're asking ! The Regionwide day would have been either £6.30 or £6.50 and I suspect the Explorer would have been about £7.50 at the time - possibly as easy to compare the current prices as it would be a 3 zone triple ticket if Arriva still had a bus from Newcastle to Metrocentre.

She could always catch the X2 to Birtley and then the X24 back to the Metrocentre (appreciating its nee good if you start early or work late !)