North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Dan - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 8:32 pm)Tom Isn't it £21 for a week? Very attractive price, considering it's £5.50 for a return!

A "TEN Plus" costs £21.80 for unlimited travel in the North East, and is valid on "TEN" service 10 between Newcastle and Hexham, "Tynedalexpress" services X84/X85 between Newcastle and Hexham and "Toon Link" services 11/32.

As you say, a maximum return price of £5.50 on the "Tynedalexpress". The weekly ticket is an incredibly attractive offer when you look at it that way.

RE: Pricing - Tom - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 8:37 pm)Dan A "TEN Plus" costs £21.80 for unlimited travel in the North East, and is valid on "TEN" service 10 between Newcastle and Hexham, "Tynedalexpress" services X84/X85 between Newcastle and Hexham and "Toon Link" services 11/32.

As you say, a maximum return price of £5.50 on the "Tynedalexpress". The weekly ticket is an incredibly attractive offer when you look at it that way.

Muat admit, the £5.50 day return is a good price too. Do you know how much a single costs?

(12 Jan 2014, 8:38 pm)Tom Muat admit, the £5.50 day return is a good price too. Do you know how much a single costs?

At a guess I'd say £3.00, just so it's roughly half of what the return costs. Return obviously has to be a little bit cheaper though, otherwise they wouldn't exist!

(12 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm)Dan At a guess I'd say £3.00, just so it's roughly half of what the return costs. Return obviously has to be a little bit cheaper though, otherwise they wouldn't exist!

I'll try and find out because I'm curious to know! - But yeah, roughly around £3.00, isn't normally £3.15 or £3.95 isn't it?

RE: Pricing - Greg in Weardale - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 7:37 pm)CatsFast101 Ah okay, I've seen it there now, looks a little out of place on the page- could be smaller.

On another note does anyone think it might be nice for all the route maps to be designed similar to the way they are the bus briefings?

Yes it would be great to have "proper" route maps on GNE's timetables rather than the unhelpful straight line. The maps on their timetables are the one (and only) thing Arriva does better than GNE.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 8:43 pm)Tom I'll try and find out because I'm curious to know! - But yeah, roughly around £3.00, isn't normally £3.15 or £3.95 isn't it?

Houghton to Chester is £3.15 and to Durham it is £3.95.
£3.15 to Chester from the Galleries.

You're probably right about it being more than £3.

Another good value ticket is the £15 weekly ticket on the X36.

(12 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm)andreos1 Houghton to Chester is £3.15 and to Durham it is £3.95.
£3.15 to Chester from the Galleries.

You're probably right about it being more than £3.

That'll be down to the structure of the zonal system, at a guess?

Houghton to Chester is a two zone single ticket, and falls under what is likely to be the minimum charge for that ticket.
Same story for the bus from Chester to The Galleries.

Houghton to Durham is still a two zone single ticket, but that is probably the maximum charge for that ticket.

With that in mind, I'd guess the single price for the "Tynedalexpress" would be £3.95 too. £5.50 is the maximum fare for a return in two zones, so I guess the maximum fare for a two zone single would apply likewise.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 9:12 pm)Dan That'll be down to the structure of the zonal system, at a guess?

Houghton to Chester is a two zone single ticket, and falls under what is likely to be the minimum charge for that ticket.
Same story for the bus from Chester to The Galleries.

Houghton to Durham is still a two zone single ticket, but that is probably the maximum charge for that ticket.

With that in mind, I'd guess the single price for the "Tynedalexpress" would be £3.95 too. £5.50 is the maximum fare for a return in two zones, so I guess the maximum fare for a two zone single would apply likewise.

Ah the simplified pricing structure ?

I still haven't sussed it.
I presumed the zones had a part to play too, but Houghton to Heworth on the 4 (2 zones) and about an hour to complete, is £2.60...

(12 Jan 2014, 9:17 pm)andreos1 Ah the simplified pricing structure ?

I presumed the zones had a part to play too, but Houghton to Heworth on the 4 (2 zones) and about an hour to complete, is £2.60...

The return prices in accordance with the zonal system are given in this document - Page 24.

I wish something similar existed for the single tickets as I assume they follow a similar pattern, but nothing available as far as I know.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 9:17 pm)andreos1 Ah the simplified pricing structure ?

One of the ideas I massively like from QCS is to show the single fares on the timetables. I don't see why this can't be done, or why they aren't actually published anywhere?

http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/files/Appendix%20J%20Fare%20Information%20Examples_1.pdf

(12 Jan 2014, 9:44 pm)aureolin One of the ideas I massively like from QCS is to show the single fares on the timetables. I don't see why this can't be done, or why they aren't actually published anywhere?

http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/files/Appendix%20J%20Fare%20Information%20Examples_1.pdf

I don't see why Nexus haven't done it sooner, without QCS. Surely they have access to the fares? If it was done on the bus stop timetables (as per the document), one could still access fare information accurately, as you can access all bus stop timetables online.

Granted, no reason for the operators not to have something similar on their own timetables...

RE: Pricing - Michael - 12 Jan 2014

I agree, that timetable layout is much easier to read and better than the current one, only problem is the zones, maybe the operater could include their price on it.

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 13 Jan 2014

Fares are one thing that should be more publically available. After all it would help if passengers knew the fares in advance they may have the right money available when boarding, speeding up the loading process in the same process!
Arriva's Sapphire timetable for service 7 is a superb example of what can be achieved, you could argue it would be nice if all services were operated to this standard though!

RE: Pricing - Dan - 13 Jan 2014

(13 Jan 2014, 3:07 pm)tyresmoke Fares are one thing that should be more publically available. After all it would help if passengers knew the fares in advance they may have the right money available when boarding, speeding up the loading process in the same process!
Arriva's Sapphire timetable for service 7 is a superb example of what can be achieved, you could argue it would be nice if all services were operated to this standard though!

Have you got a link to this timetable? All I can find after a quick look is the ghastly 'bog standard' timetable ( http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedfiles/Services/North_East/neda7_271013_190913.pdf ).

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 13 Jan 2014

(13 Jan 2014, 4:46 pm)Dan Have you got a link to this timetable? All I can find after a quick look is the ghastly 'bog standard' timetable ( http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedfiles/Services/North_East/neda7_271013_190913.pdf ).

I was meaning the paper timetable Dan. It's a great little booklet with route maps, town guides and fare information alongside the all important timetables.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 13 Jan 2014

(13 Jan 2014, 4:56 pm)tyresmoke I was meaning the paper timetable Dan. It's a great little booklet with route maps, town guides and fare information alongside the all important timetables.

Ah right! If anyone has a copy and has access to a scanner, would you please upload it? Would be great to see... Ta!

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 13 Jan 2014

(13 Jan 2014, 4:58 pm)Dan Ah right! If anyone has a copy and has access to a scanner, would you please upload it? Would be great to see... Ta!

I'll see if I can grab a couple tomorrow.

RE: Pricing - GuyParkRoyal - 13 Jan 2014

The relevant pages from The Sapphire 7 timetable should be attached below. (I have not included the pages with running times)

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 13 Jan 2014

(13 Jan 2014, 7:20 pm)GuyParkRoyal The relevant pages from The Sapphire 7 timetable should be attached below. (I have not included the pages with running times)

Cheers - looks good! I like the map design too.