North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 13 Jan 2014

(13 Jan 2014, 7:20 pm)GuyParkRoyal The relevant pages from The Sapphire 7 timetable should be attached below. (I have not included the pages with running times)

Absolutely superb (and I'm not biased at all!) - very "Best Impressions" inspired I suspect! Now if only everything could be to this standard...

RE: Pricing - Tom - 14 Jan 2014

It's £4.65 from Hexham to Newcastle on the ''Tynedalexpress'' services.

Re: Pricing - Adrian - 24 Jan 2014

Arriva.

2.30 chester le street to barley mow
2.70 chester le street to Newcastle

Huh

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 01 Feb 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 9:51 pm)Dan I don't see why Nexus haven't done it sooner, without QCS. Surely they have access to the fares? If it was done on the bus stop timetables (as per the document), one could still access fare information accurately, as you can access all bus stop timetables online.

Granted, no reason for the operators not to have something similar on their own timetables...

Thought I had replied to this at the time. Whoops!

I am surmising it is to with the archaic rules set up in 86.
Despite the whole idea of de-regulation being about competition and having an open market, the bonkers nature of some of the rules probably stops the operators or pte's advertising prices of singles.

Operators do it on their literature, but if Nexus started listing singles at the bus stops,chances are all passengers would wait for the cheapest operator to come along.

Otherwise, it would have been done by now and as far as I'm aware, advertising singles on bus stop timetables, isn't done anywhere.

May be way of the mark and I am sure someone will tell me if I am, but they are just my thoughts on it.

RE: Pricing - Tom - 05 Jun 2014

Just been viewing the Stagecoach Lakes Connection timetables, and there are some absolutely ridiculous prices:

Bowness to Ambleside - £5.10 (you can get to Barrow for £4.85!)
Windermere to Kendal - £5.65
Windermere to Coniston - £8.55
Kendal to Keswick - £9.30

Disgusting if you ask me!

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 05 Jun 2014

(05 Jun 2014, 8:12 pm)Tom Just been viewing the Stagecoach Lakes Connection timetables, and there are some absolutely ridiculous prices:

Cashing in on tourists! Who wouldn't... People will pay it

(05 Jun 2014, 8:16 pm)tyresmoke Cashing in on tourists! Who wouldn't... People will pay it

What about local people though? - Surely they'd be put off paying a £5.65 fare for 20 minutes?

RE: Pricing - Kuyoyo - 05 Jun 2014

(05 Jun 2014, 8:12 pm)Tom Just been viewing the Stagecoach Lakes Connection timetables, and there are some absolutely ridiculous prices:

(05 Jun 2014, 8:16 pm)tyresmoke Cashing in on tourists! Who wouldn't... People will pay it

Coastliner Fares
Leeds to Scarborough: £12 single, £14 Day Return
Leeds to Whitby/Filey or Bridlington: £13 single, £14 day return
Leeds to York: £6.20 single, £8 day return
York to Whitby/Scarborough/Filey or Bridlington: £11 single, £14 day return

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 05 Jun 2014

(05 Jun 2014, 8:19 pm)Tom What about local people though? - Surely they'd be put off paying a £5.65 fare for 20 minutes?

Almost certainly. However thats where the day and weekly tickets come into play, making things cheaper for regular passengers. Indeed the Megarider Gold (valid across the whole North West) is "only" £26.70. Sounds a lot but compared to the single fares... It's really not.

(05 Jun 2014, 8:32 pm)tyresmoke Almost certainly. However thats where the day and weekly tickets come into play, making things cheaper for regular passengers. Indeed the Megarider Gold (valid across the whole North West) is "only" £26.70. Sounds a lot but compared to the single fares... It's really not.

Yeah the £26.70 Megarider Gold is great value! Smile

RE: Pricing - R852 PRG - 05 Jun 2014

(05 Jun 2014, 8:34 pm)Tom Yeah the £26.70 Megarider Gold is great value! Smile

That is dead handy

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 05 Jun 2014

What's the difference between the Megarider Gold and the Megarider Gold Extra?

This is what you get with the Megarider Gold - priced at £96.00

North West Megarider Gold 4 Week

Valid for travel on a range of Stagecoach services within the local region. Please view the full ticket information below for the conditions of this ticket.
VIEW FULL TICKET INFORMATION

Available for use on all Stagecoach North West services in Lancashire including, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Chorley, Fleetwood, Garstang Lancaster, Leyland, Lytham, Morecambe, Preston, Southport, St Annes, also extending to Burton Square (555/556/557), Kirkby Lonsdale/Ingleton (81, 567), Blackburn (X59), Liverpool (X2), Wigan (113), Bolton (125/126), Blackrod (3/3A), Manchester (X61).

...And this is what you get with the Megarider Gold Extra (4 Weeks) - priced at £83.25 per month

North West Megarider Gold Xtra

Valid for travel on a range of Stagecoach services within the local region. Please view the full ticket information below for the conditions of this ticket. Your StagecoachSmart Travel Card will hold your live Megarider ticket until the recurring payment is cancelled.
VIEW FULL TICKET INFORMATION

Available for use on all Stagecoach services in Cumbria, including Ambleside, Barrow, Carlisle, Cockermouth, Grasmere, Kendal, Keswick, Penrith, Whitehavan, Windermere and Workington also extending to Lancaster Bus Station (555/556), Dumfries (79, 279), Newcastle (685). Valid at all times. Also available for use on all Stagecoach services in Lancashire, Merseyside and Chester, including, Chester, Chorley, Preston, Liverpool, and The Wirral, also extending to Wigan Bus Station (113), Bolton (125), Southport (2/X2/2X), Ormskirk (2A/12A) and Accrington (X59).Valid at all times. All postal tickets will be despatched within 3 working days using the Royal Mail 1st Class delivery service. Most items will arrive the next working day. Prices are per ticket unless otherwise stated. Further information on our online ticket policy can be found by clicking here http://www.stagecoachbus.com/buyonline.aspx If you don't already have a StagecoachSmart card this will despatched within 3 working days using Royal Mail 1st Class delivery and will normally arrive the following working day. You will be required to select a start date when ordering this ticket. Price is per month and requires the setting up of a recurring card payment agreement, similar to direct debit. Further information on our online ticket policy can be found by clicking here http://www.stagecoachbus.com/buyonline.aspx

Source: http://www.stagecoachbus.com/tickets.aspx?ref=&inaction=inaction&location_id=111&product_id=14&period_filter=any&x=37&y=8&drpOperator2=-1

The one which gives the most travelling options is seemingly priced less that the other one.

Is this a mistake?

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 11 Jun 2014

£4.00 single from Houghton to Durham!
Just got on a 20/20a (not sure which one) at Houghton and thought the driver was having a laugh!

Ridiculous.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 1:06 pm)Andreos Constantopolous £4.00 single from Houghton to Durham!
Just got on a 20/20a (not sure which one) at Houghton and thought the driver was having a laugh!

Ridiculous.

Ouch!

Does anyone know how much ANE's service 24 is from Sunderland to Durham? Given that there is a degree of competition on a Sunderland to Durham service, I'm wondering how much their prices differ...

RE: Pricing - cbma06 - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 1:06 pm)Andreos Constantopolous £4.00 single from Houghton to Durham!

Ridiculous.

Just been looking through the fare tables from 2009 for Deptford From 4th January 2009, the price for a single on service 20 between Houghton and Durham was £3.30.

(11 Jun 2014, 1:07 pm)Dan Ouch!

Does anyone know how much ANE's service 24 is from Sunderland to Durham? Given that there is a degree of competition on a Sunderland to Durham service, I'm wondering how much their prices differ...

Ouch indeed!

No idea on the GNE vs ANE fares.
Not sure if the two will be too comparable, taking into account journey times/distance.

A GNE fare must be clocking on close to a fiver, bearing in mind the cost of a single between Sunderland and Houghton.

(11 Jun 2014, 1:26 pm)cbma06 Just been looking through the fare tables from 2009 for Deptford From 4th January 2009, the price for a single on service 20 between Houghton and Durham was £3.30.

Last time I bought a single between the two, it was around the £3.50 mark (give or take a ten pence or so).
The Easter changes have obviously made a big difference in fares.

(11 Jun 2014, 1:30 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Last time I bought a single between the two, it was around the £3.50 mark (give or take a ten pence or so).
The Easter changes have obviously made a big difference in fares.

Old Fare - New Fare

£3.45 - £3.50
£3.50 - unchanged
£3.65 - £3.70
£3.80 - unchanged
£3.95 - £4.00
£4.00 - unchanged
£4.60 - £4.70
£5.00 - unchanged

To my knowledge, a £5 single is the maximum price for an adult single ticket.

The fare must have been £3.95 before the fare changes two months ago. I'd suggest checking up with GNE to ensure that the driver hasn't overcharged you, if it was around £3.50 when you last made that journey.

(11 Jun 2014, 1:34 pm)Dan Old Fare - New Fare

£3.45 - £3.50
£3.50 - unchanged
£3.65 - £3.70
£3.80 - unchanged
£3.95 - £4.00
£4.00 - unchanged
£4.60 - £4.70
£5.00 - unchanged

To my knowledge, a £5 single is the maximum price for an adult single ticket.

The fare must have been £3.95 before the fare changes two months ago. I'd suggest checking up with GNE to ensure that the driver hasn't overcharged you, if it was around £3.50 when you last made that journey.

I can remember it being under £4.00.
The destinations on the ticket are correct, so my memory must be playing tricks.
It has been a while since I bought a single on the 20/20a.

Will check when I get home at the weekend, to see what the old prices were - one bonus of having to keep receipts!

Psychologically, breaking the 99p barrier can make a difference.
A well known sandwich chain, put out a consultation a few years back, prior to increasing their meal deal beyond the £2 mark. The idea was to see what people thought and whether it would put people off buying from the store.

(11 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Psychologically, breaking the 99p barrier can make a difference.
A well known sandwich chain, put out a consultation a few years back, prior to increasing their meal deal beyond the £2 mark. The idea was to see what people thought and whether it would put people off buying from the store.

I'm meant to be on a three-month break from Business Studies now that I've finished the exam!! Haha! Tongue

God knows how many times I've had to read the following:

Psychological pricing

Sometimes prices are set at what seem to be unusual price points. For example, why are DVD’s priced at £12.99 or £14.99? The answer is the perceived price barriers that customers may have. They will buy something for £9.99, but think that £10 is a little too much. So a price that is one pence lower can make the difference between closing the sale, or not!

The aim of psychological pricing is to make the customer believe the product is cheaper than it really is. Pricing in this way is intended to attract customers who are looking for “value”.

..and more irritatingly - it wasn't in either Business exam!

RE: Pricing - Tom - 11 Jun 2014

Ridiculous.

My mam went up to the Manor Walks today and it was only £4.40 for a return on the 17! Doube the distance from Houghton to Durham Undecided

(11 Jun 2014, 1:07 pm)Dan Ouch!

I was charged £2.50 from Peterlee to Sunderland on the 24, so I'd imagine an adult single would be £5.00 - Not sure how much it is on the X7 though? It was the same from Peterlee to Hartlepool on another occasion too, and again, not sure on the adult single prices on the X35.