North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - cbma06 - 11 Jun 2014

Who would agree or disagree that is it time for GNE to put the fare tables up on their website either in a separate section or with the diagram of the service combined into the timetable for that service. passengers been using facebook for a long time asking for prices of singles etc.. to get to a destination, even though bus companies prefer marketing/pressing on their day/week/monthly tickets to the customers.

Re: RE: Pricing - Dan - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 3:07 pm)cbma06 Who would agree or disagree that is it time for GNE to put the fare tables up on their website either in a separate section or with the diagram of the service combined into the timetable for that service. passengers been using facebook for a long time asking for prices of singles etc.. to get to a destination, even though bus companies prefer marketing/pressing on their day/week/monthly tickets to the customers.
I think it's something that should be done with all bus operators - not just GNE.

I did hear a few months back that Go-Ahead were looking to implement a system whereby passengers could enter their starting point of a route and then their ending point of a route to find out the price of their ticket. Not sure what the progress of that is though, given that it's a group decision opposed to GNE decision.

RE: Pricing - Tom - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 3:12 pm)Dan I think it's something that should be done with all bus operators - not just GNE.

I did hear a few months back that Go-Ahead were looking to implement a system whereby passengers could enter their starting point of a route and then their ending point of a route to find out the price of their ticket. Not sure what the progress of that is though, given that it's a group decision opposed to GNE decision.

Stagecoach do that on a few of their services - I know the Stagecoach Gold services have a fare table on, and various single prices are given on their price booklets in Cumbria.

For example: http://www.stagecoachbus.com/uploads/westcumbriaticketstogo-april2014.pdf

RE: Pricing - John_R - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 3:12 pm)Dan I think it's something that should be done with all bus operators - not just GNE.

Go Ahead Group owned Anglian bus and Konectbus already have that system in place. its quite useful for planning ahead.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 3:38 pm)John_R Go Ahead Group owned Anglian bus and Konectbus already have that system in place. its quite useful for planning ahead.

In which case, I'd imagine it will come round to GNE eventually - perhaps at the same time of the release of real time tracking technology?

RE: Pricing - cbma06 - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm)Dan In which case, I'd imagine it will come round to GNE eventually - perhaps at the same time of the release of real time tracking technology?

Customer services was just telling me today about the real time tracking on the GNE App that their were still doing tests on the real time tracking, since this was the last answer also from 6 months ago aswell, but this time I was told that their were looking at a release time of back end of this year and beginning of next year, but this is customer services saying this, so could be awhile yet.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 4:04 pm)cbma06 Customer services was just telling me today about the real time tracking on the GNE App that their were still doing tests on the real time tracking, since this was the last answer also from 6 months ago aswell, but this time I was told that their were looking at a release time of back end of this year and beginning of next year, but this is customer services saying this, so could be awhile yet.

Think that's about right actually! Hopefully programmed a little differently to Arriva's real time tracking too...

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 3:07 pm)cbma06 Who would agree or disagree that is it time for GNE to put the fare tables up on their website either in a separate section or with the diagram of the service combined into the timetable for that service. passengers been using facebook for a long time asking for prices of singles etc.. to get to a destination, even though bus companies prefer marketing/pressing on their day/week/monthly tickets to the customers.

Whilst handy to remove the element of shock & surprise from a passenger and possibly speeding up boarding, I am not sure what it will achieve - unless used as a competitive tool on routes which face competition?

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 11 Jun 2014

I never actually wrote about the conclusion to my £3.15 running joke. Well, despite it now being £3.20. To be honest I wasn't going to, but feel it's important as it shows both the bad and the really good to customer relations.

One Friday I was heading to my mates on the 8, so I done the X2 from Durham to Chester le Street with my Arriva pass, and then waited patiently for the (late) 8. Jumped on, and stated my usual destination (Biddick). Now with Davey Bowyer's advice in mind (naughty people paying with notes etc), I had the correct change counted out, but to my surprise was only charged £2.70. I quickly inspected the fare stage on my ticket, and noticed that it was "Glebe TFC". This was the same Glebe as in the stop after Biddick on route towards Sunderland.

So I had a quick check of my wallet, and found a previous ticket that I'd been charged £3.15 for. The fare stage was "A1231 Slip Road". Now I knew the machines, with simple fares, always state the maximum point of travel on your ticket, so I'd thought nowt of it at the time. Why would I? I'd asked for a fare in good faith, and been told the fare on numerous occasions.

Anyway, I got on to GNE's customer services team about it. Got a query back initially asking if I was travelling to Biddick Academy or Biddick Primary School. I opted for the former, being that the latter is in the middle of a housing estate, and not actually served by any buses. I confirmed so, and was told the solution was to ask the driver for "Cooks Hall" to avoid any confusion. I mean hey, who would be confused by that? Just ask for a ticket to a building that was demolished over 50 years ago. Perhaps I should ask for Newell's Works instead of Teal Farm when I'm next on the 73? Big Grin I pointed this out to customer services, and pointed out that looking back at my diary, I'm almost £5.00 out of pocket. The response I got back was pretty much what I was expecting, that I couldn't have a refund without providing all the individual tickets. Of course I had no reason to keep the tickets, as I put my trust in the company to issue me with the most suitable fare for my journey. I was told that the fare stages were set years ago, and it is "very seldom" that they change, as local people opt to quote the old fare stage. Really? I'd like to see evidence supporting that. The email finished off stating I wouldn't be refunded for this one instance (50p), as the Finance department would be unable to issue a refund for that amount.

I responded with a request for the complaint to be escalated, and I had a bit conversation with an extremely helpful manager. I highlighted that I was refused access to fare tables for three services back in November last year, which I requested on the sole basis that it allowed me to work out the most economical fare for my journey. I should add that I had tried to escalate that back in November, but customer services started ignoring my emails. I'd instead escalated the matter to Bus Useless UK, who had sided with the company's stance that I couldn't have them, and also started ignoring my emails.

Anyway, the manager had apologised and had went on to explain to each and every point I'd made. Explaining what they're looking to do in future, and agreed with several points I'd raised. The best bit was that the manager had said he was concerned that I was refused fare tables, as they're obliged to provide me with them when asked. The manager obliged with the original request and provided me with the info for the three services I'd asked for. They had also contradicted what I was told previously from customer services, and added that they do try and update the stage names, with the depots help.

Moral of the story? Always question what you're told. If it's not written down, you'll never know it's accurate, but even then it may not be accurate. Big Grin The company clearly has some very helpful people within, but the problem, from experience, is getting to speak to them. Many an exchange I had with the late Peter Huntley, and even if we didn't always agree on something, he always took the time to personally respond and even on the one occasion invite me in. The channels of communication are severely reduced these days (no more OpenLine Sad) and I feel to some extent that relationship is lost. Of course one solution would be to ensure customer services give out more than an educated guess.

The end.

@aureolin - wont quote the post, cos its huge.
Not sure what to say, other than nowt surprises me...

(11 Jun 2014, 2:53 pm)Tom My mam went up to the Manor Walks today and it was only £4.40 for a return on the 17! Doube the distance from Houghton to Durham Undecided

I was charged £2.50 from Peterlee to Sunderland on the 24, so I'd imagine an adult single would be £5.00 - Not sure how much it is on the X7 though? It was the same from Peterlee to Hartlepool on another occasion too, and again, not sure on the adult single prices on the X35.

Sorry Tom, wasn't ignoring you.

A cross county ticket too!
Tyne & Wear - Northumberland vs Tyne & Wear - Co Durham.
Not familiar with the exact journey your Mam did (start point), but is there any competition between the two points?

#GNElogic
#HashtagsonNEB

RE: Pricing - Tom - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 6:31 pm)Andreos Constantopolous @aureolin - wont quote the post, cos its huge.

Sorry Tom, wasn't ignoring you.

A cross county ticket too!
Tyne & Wear - Northumberland vs Tyne & Wear - Co Durham.
Not familiar with the exact journey your Mam did (start point), but is there any competition between the two points?

#GNElogic
#HashtagsonNEB

Not at all, until you get to Killingworth! A good one hour journey too Tongue

(11 Jun 2014, 6:35 pm)Tom Not at all, until you get to Killingworth! A good one hour journey too Tongue

Cheaper than Houghton - Sunderland if memory serves me right.
It doesn't take a genius to work out which is the shorter/quicker journey either Wink

#GNElogic
#HashtagsonNEB

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 11 Jun 2014

(11 Jun 2014, 6:31 pm)Andreos Constantopolous @aureolin - wont quote the post, cos its huge.

It kinda surprised me. I just seen it as a running joke that every fare was £3.15. Tongue Obviously not though. Hopefully (despite my post being huge) my post comes across more constructive than it being a rant. That's what I intended anyway? End result was that I was happy, but it was farcical that it dragged on so long.

(11 Jun 2014, 7:08 pm)aureolin It kinda surprised me. I just seen it as a running joke that every fare was £3.15. Tongue Obviously not though. Hopefully (despite my post being huge) my post comes across more constructive than it being a rant. That's what I intended anyway? End result was that I was happy, but it was farcical that it dragged on so long.

Despite demonstrating some of the poor decisions made by the company, I thought it was a balanced post.
It also showed the good that exists in places too.

RE: Pricing - gtom - 13 Jun 2014

The Magpie Mover has doubled its price with a 50% increase up to £20 from £10 for the upcoming football season

RE: Pricing - Dan - 13 Jun 2014

(13 Jun 2014, 10:53 am)gtom The Magpie Mover has doubled its price with a 50% increase up to £20 from £10 for the upcoming football season

Surely a 100% increase opposed to 50 - if it has doubled!

Quite surprised to hear the price soar so high.

RE: Pricing - R852 PRG - 13 Jun 2014

(13 Jun 2014, 11:02 am)Dan Surely a 100% increase opposed to 50 - if it has doubled!

Quite surprised to hear the price soar so high.

Great way to rob tourists Wink

RE: Pricing - Tom - 13 Jun 2014

(13 Jun 2014, 3:40 pm)Marcus Great way to rob tourists Wink

Robbing tourists? Huh

RE: Pricing - R852 PRG - 13 Jun 2014

(13 Jun 2014, 3:41 pm)Tom Robbing tourists? Huh

Increasing the price for the football season? Lots of tourism from away teams' fans?

RE: Pricing - Tom - 13 Jun 2014

(13 Jun 2014, 3:43 pm)Marcus Increasing the price for the football season? Lots of tourism from away teams' fans?

The Magpie Mover is a ticket which allows travel on matchdays for Newcastle home season ticket holders - not for away fans.