North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 22 Jun 2014

(22 Jun 2014, 10:07 am)Michael Well they kept that a secret!

I wonder if this is to keep NEXUS away

See the published date...

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 22 Jun 2014

(22 Jun 2014, 10:07 am)Michael Well they kept that a secret!

I wonder if this is to keep NEXUS away

I think it was to keep Stagecoach away. Can't remember it lasting too long.

RE: Pricing - Michael - 22 Jun 2014

(22 Jun 2014, 10:08 am)tyresmoke See the published date...

lmao... oh dear, can tell iv'e just got up

RE: Pricing - Tom - 13 Jul 2014

Arriva X15

£5.00 Morpeth to Regent Centre
£5.70 Alnwick to Newcastle Huh

RE: Go North East - Latest - nk55 - 19 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 6:28 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Imagine if the tickets were reasonably priced for people living in the region?
Numbers could have been even higher!

I'm off to london soon and need to get from waterloo to piccadilly circus, underground journey time is 4 mins, cost for 2 adults & 2 children £14. Value for money or simple rip off?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 19 Jul 2014

(19 Jul 2014, 8:07 am)nk55 I'm off to london soon and need to get from waterloo to piccadilly circus, underground journey time is 4 mins, cost for 2 adults & 2 children £14. Value for money or simple rip off?

Simple rip off.
Get an Oyster Card and it becomes much cheaper. The prices are designed to encourage use of the card https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares-jan-2014.pdf

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 19 Jul 2014

(18 Jul 2014, 9:18 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Back to the Depot by the looks of it.

Correct.

(19 Jul 2014, 8:18 am)Andreos Constantopolous Simple rip off.
Get an Oyster Card and it becomes much cheaper. The prices are designed to encourage use of the card https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares-jan-2014.pdf

I don't know how old nk55's two children are, but assuming they're over 11, they would also need to have what would presumably be a Visitor's Oyster Card.
That's four Visitor Oyster Cards, costing £12 plus the £40 pre-loaded credit they'd have in total - a whopping £52.

If nk55 is only making this trip once per year, it's hardly value for money either way... By comparison, to get us back on-topic, you could argue that Go North East's single/return fares are designed to push people onto Key Cards and day tickets - but isn't it free to order a Key Card, and get the discounts which come with it?

RE: Go North East - Latest - GuyParkRoyal - 19 Jul 2014

(19 Jul 2014, 8:07 am)nk55 I'm off to london soon and need to get from waterloo to piccadilly circus, underground journey time is 4 mins, cost for 2 adults & 2 children £14. Value for money or simple rip off?
If you are not in a hurry it would be cheaper by bus using a 23 & 68 for example. If you don't, have an Oyster card you can use a contactless payment card. Children under 11 travel free on London Buses.

(19 Jul 2014, 8:40 am)Dan Correct.

I don't know how old nk55's two children are, but assuming they're over 11, they would also need to have what would presumably be a Visitor's Oyster Card.
That's four Visitor Oyster Cards, costing £12 plus the £40 pre-loaded credit they'd have in total - a whopping £52.

If nk55 is only making this trip once per year, it's hardly value for money either way... By comparison, to get us back on-topic, you could argue that Go North East's single/return fares are designed to push people onto Key Cards and day tickets - but isn't it free to order a Key Card, and get the discounts which come with it?

Suppose it is all semantics, cos we don't know the age of the kids.
Either way, nk55 can avoid paying the prices initially mentioned and not pay more than £8.40 (£7.00 on a weekend) a day if he used an Oyster.

The Key Cards are free, but certainly don't offer the level of fare discounts seen elsewhere - like London.

(19 Jul 2014, 1:19 pm)GuyParkRoyal If you are not in a hurry it would be cheaper by bus using a 23 & 68 for example. If you don't, have an Oyster card you can use a contactless payment card. Children under 11 travel free on London Buses.

Do you get the same discounts with contactless payment, or is it full whack?

Edit: same price.
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/cash-free-buses?intcmp=17374

RE: Go North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 19 Jul 2014

(19 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Suppose it is all semantics, cos we don't know the age of the kids.
You could work it out from:-
waterloo to piccadilly circus, underground journey time is 4 mins, cost for 2 adults & 2 children £14.

All you need to know is what the fare structure is.

I presume that £14 is the total for the family.

It seems that £4.70 is the minimum adult cash fare:-
http://www.londondrum.com/transport/train-fares-ticket-prices.php

Child fare (5 to 10 and 11 to 15) is £2.30.
(From:-
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/single-fare-finder?From=Waterloo+Underground+Station&FromId=940GZZLUWLO&To=Piccadilly+Circus+Underground+Station&ToId=940GZZLUPCC&PassengerType=Age5To10

and:-

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/single-fare-finder?From=Waterloo+Underground+Station&FromId=940GZZLUWLO&To=Piccadilly+Circus+Underground+Station&ToId=940GZZLUPCC&PassengerType=Age11To15)

16 and over pay full cash fare (£4.70)
Cash fares are very nearly double what an Oyster user pays.

RE: Go North East - Latest - MurdnunoC - 19 Jul 2014

(19 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm)Andreos Constantopolous The Key Cards are free, but certainly don't offer the level of fare discounts seen elsewhere - like London.

I have an Oyster Card. I've actually used it more than my Key Card over the last few years through my visits to The National Archives. I was persuaded to obtain one after learning about how much I could save. The card was posted to my home address without any problems or restrictions.

Oyster Cards do cost £5. However it must be said that this is a deposit not a charge. If I wanted my £5 back I could quite simply return the card.

RE: Go North East - Latest - GuyParkRoyal - 19 Jul 2014

(19 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Suppose it is all semantics, cos we don't know the age of the kids.
Either way, nk55 can avoid paying the prices initially mentioned and not pay more than £8.40 (£7.00 on a weekend) a day if he used an Oyster.

The Key Cards are free, but certainly don't offer the level of fare discounts seen elsewhere - like London.

Do you get the same discounts with contactless payment, or is it full whack?

Edit: same price.
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/cash-free-buses?intcmp=17374
As you have pointed out in your link to the tfl website the price of a single bus journey is the same for Oyster or contactless at £1.45 per adult journey. However there is an advantage with Oyster if you are making multiple bus journeys there is a maximum charge of £4.40 per day whereas contactless payment does not benefit from the £4.40 capped value.

(19 Jul 2014, 5:35 pm)G-CPTN You could work it out from:-

All you need to know is what the fare structure is.

I presume that £14 is the total for the family.

It seems that £4.70 is the minimum adult cash fare:-
http://www.londondrum.com/transport/train-fares-ticket-prices.php

Child fare (5 to 10 and 11 to 15) is £2.30.
(From:-
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/single-fare-finder?From=Waterloo+Underground+Station&FromId=940GZZLUWLO&To=Piccadilly+Circus+Underground+Station&ToId=940GZZLUPCC&PassengerType=Age5To10

and:-

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/single-fare-finder?From=Waterloo+Underground+Station&FromId=940GZZLUWLO&To=Piccadilly+Circus+Underground+Station&ToId=940GZZLUPCC&PassengerType=Age11To15)

16 and over pay full cash fare (£4.70)

I thought kids under 11 were free?
Or is that restricted to the tube?

(19 Jul 2014, 5:43 pm)AdamY I have an Oyster Card. I've actually used it more than my Key Card over the last few years through my visits to The National Archives. I was persuaded to obtain one after learning about how much I could save. The card was posted to my home address without any problems or restrictions.

Oyster Cards do cost £5. However it must be said that this is a deposit not a charge. If I wanted my £5 back I could quite simply return the card.

Same here.
It appears the cost for a visitor card is £3 now.
Family members have used ours more than we have - with most of my trips in London on the tube being a connection between National Rail stations.
It does save a lot of money and can make trips affordable.

Haven't got a Key Card.
The Network One weekly ticket (sometimes a Day Rover/Explorer) meet my needs financially and give me the flexibility I need (that GNE don't provide).
One the very rare occasions I need to use GNE and nowt but them, a one or two zone ticket does the job - begrudgingly paying the ridiculous single fares when heading on a one way trip to a railway station.

(19 Jul 2014, 5:46 pm)GuyParkRoyal As you have pointed out in your link to the tfl website the price of a single bus journey is the same for Oyster or contactless at £1.45 per adult journey. However there is an advantage with Oyster if you are making multiple bus journeys there is a maximum charge of £4.40 per day whereas contactless payment does not benefit from the £4.40 capped value.

bargain!

RE: Go North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 19 Jul 2014

I presume that you cannot use one Oyster card to pay for more than one person?

Is there a delay between 'debits'? - or does it rely on touching in and touching out?

What about contactless debit cards? Can one card be used for several people travelling together?

If you send the Visitor Oyster Card to the address below, you can get a refund of any remaining credit:
TfL Customer Services, 14 Pier Walk, 4th Floor, London, SE10 0ES.
Please remember to include a covering letter explaining why you are returning the card. You will then be sent a cheque in GBP.

The Oyster card platform is due to be replaced by a contactless payment card system by June 2015.

RE: Go North East - Latest - MurdnunoC - 19 Jul 2014

(19 Jul 2014, 5:56 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Same here.
It appears the cost for a visitor card is £3 now.
Family members have used mine more than me - with most of my trips in London on the tube being a connection between National Rail stations.
It does save a lot of money and can make trips affordable.

Haven't got a Key Card.
The Network One weekly ticket (sometimes a Day Rover/Explorer) meet my needs financially and give me the flexibility I need (that GNE don't provide).
One the very rare occasions I need to use GNE and nowt but them, a one or two zone ticket does the job - begrudgingly paying the ridiculous single fares when heading on a one way trip to a railway station.

I don't have a visitors card. Because I was making regular trips it was easier for me to apply for a regular card like, I suppose, any other resident of London would. I made savings whenever I visited London and, as I said, I could easily hand my card back to TfL to redeem my initial £5 deposit which effectively makes my card free.

I did contemplate getting a visitors card but I found the process complicated in the senise that you had to find outlets which had cards in stock. Also, I don't think you get your money back on a visitors card and I didn't feel like paying £3 every time I visited the capital in order to save a few quid here and there.

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 19 Jul 2014

All about the Oyster capping. Daily capping is different if you use the Tube

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/using-oyster/price-capping

(19 Jul 2014, 6:07 pm)G-CPTN I presume that you cannot use one Oyster card to pay for more than one person?

Is there a delay between 'debits'? - or does it rely on touching in and touching out?

What about contactless debit cards? Can one card be used for several people travelling together?

If you touch in and out, the cheapest fare is calculated for that journey.
Monies are deducted by the end of the day.
I imagine there will be a penalty for not touching out.
Each traveller needs their own card

I imagine one debit card can be used multiple times/purchases.

(19 Jul 2014, 6:11 pm)AdamY I don't have a visitors card. Because I was making regular trips it was easier for me to apply for a regular card like, I suppose, any other resident of London would. I made savings whenever I visited London and, as I said, I could easily hand my card back to TfL to redeem my initial £5 deposit which effectively makes my card free.

I did contemplate getting a visitors card but I found the process complicated in the senise that you had to find outlets which had cards in stock. Also, I don't think you get your money back on a visitors card and I didn't feel like paying £3 every time I visited the capital in order to save a few quid here and there.

Ditto.
May be wrong, but pretty sure the only card available when I first needed to travel down there, was the normal card.

Top ups can sit until your first 'touch in', giving it another upper hand over Key

RE: Go North East - Latest - nk55 - 19 Jul 2014

Tfl have a strange zone system, i.e if your journey contains 2 zones its the same cost as 1 zone. Sorry mods maybe these posts should be moved out of the gne thread.

(19 Jul 2014, 6:28 pm)nk55 Tfl have a strange zone system, i.e if your journey contains 2 zones its the same cost as 1 zone. Sorry mods maybe these posts should be moved out of the gne thread.

Just as an example, here is a screen shot of the last trip down there on my card

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 20 Jul 2014

On one again...

But if only bus operators had the same thoughts Rolleyes