North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 20 Jul 2014

Noticed savings for bus travel in Northumberland being advertised for students on Facebook. One of the quoted savings is a bit confusing.

"Hexham to North Tyneside College – you could save up to £295.50 if you buy a Get Around Pay Monthly Ticket in comparison to buying a weekly 2 zone Buzzfare ticket."

Is it possible to travel from Hexham to North Tyneside College on a 2 zone Buzzfare ticket? Hexham being in the Orange zone, and North Tyneside College being in the Blue? Both the X84/X85 and the TEN services pass through the Cherry Zone, with the latter also using the Purple zone.

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 20 Jul 2014

(20 Jul 2014, 2:34 pm)aureolin Noticed savings for bus travel in Northumberland being advertised for students on Facebook. One of the quoted savings is a bit confusing.

"Hexham to North Tyneside College – you could save up to £295.50 if you buy a Get Around Pay Monthly Ticket in comparison to buying a weekly 2 zone Buzzfare ticket."

Is it possible to travel from Hexham to North Tyneside College on a 2 zone Buzzfare ticket? Hexham being in the Orange zone, and North Tyneside College being in the Blue? Both the X84/X85 and the TEN services pass through the Cherry Zone, with the latter also using the Purple zone.

Short and simple answer would be No, unless you were Travelling from Crawcrook/Rockwood Hill.

Personally I would love to know how Go North East hae worked this out, As the Zonal System from Hexham wouldn't allow for such savings as stated on there Website. As Passengers would have to Travel through 4 Zones to get to North Tyneside College, Resulting in said Passenger having to Purchase a 3 Zone+ Ticket for a Day/Week/Month or Annually if they can afford to so.

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 20 Jul 2014

Maybe they were basing it upon pre-2010 zonal boundaries.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=78618&d=1259858911]

RE: Pricing - Dan - 20 Jul 2014

We’ve even got a pay monthly option too, to help spread the cost of your travel across the year.

Hexham to North Tyneside College – you could save up to £295.50 if you buy a Get Around Pay Monthly Ticket in comparison to buying a weekly 2 zone Buzzfare ticket.

Given that the you'd only buy a Get Around 28-day ticket if you had an Under 18 Get Around Key Card, I have no idea why this is actually being compared to what is allegedly the BuzzFare equivalent (which 'ordinary' Key Card holders are entitled to).

Nevertheless, assuming both tickets are purchased 'off-the-bus':

1. 12x 28 day Get Around tickets would cost £720. (£60 x 12 months)
2. 52x 7 day BuzzFare 2 Zone tickets would cost £1248. (£24 x 52 weeks)
3. 52x 7 day BuzzFare 3 Zone tickets would cost £1638. (£31.50 x 52 weeks)

So while this is probably a mistake on Go North East's half and they probably didn't mean to compare the two, they actually deliver a much better saving than the £295.50 they claim. I believe the above calculations are correct and match the information provided on this page, but comparing Options 1 & 3 above, customers could actually save £918.

Again, this reiterates the fact that it probably wasn't meant to be these two tickets being compared, and that Go North East has made a mistake when publishing these details. Unfortunately, it isn't the first time a bus operator has made a mistake on their website and I can guarantee it certainly won't be the last time either.

Just spotted this on the Stagecoach Website for Under 19's

Stagecoach VIP
http://www.stagecoachbus.com/newcastle-vip.aspx?utm_source=display&utm_medium=Banner&utm_term=Amnet&utm_campaign=VIPSTAGECOACHNE

RE: Pricing - Dan - 20 Jul 2014

(20 Jul 2014, 5:41 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Just spotted this on the Stagecoach Website for Under 19's

Stagecoach VIP
http://www.stagecoachbus.com/newcastle-vip.aspx?utm_source=display&utm_medium=Banner&utm_term=Amnet&utm_campaign=VIPSTAGECOACHNE

Been around for years that, Adam!

They used to have cringey interior adverts for them all over the Sunderland ALX300s - a female who was clearly being portrayed as a 'celebrity' (Very Important Person) with two males in suits who were supposedly playing the role of bodyguards.

(20 Jul 2014, 5:43 pm)Dan Been around for years that, Adam!

They used to have cringey interior adverts for them all over the Sunderland ALX300s - a female who was clearly being portrayed as a 'celebrity' (Very Important Person) with two males in suits who were supposedly playing the role of bodyguards.

Very Rare I use Stagecoach to be Honest, This Advertisement has also popped up on a few other pages as well Today, Stagecoach must be pushing the Promotional side of it then.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 20 Jul 2014

(20 Jul 2014, 5:18 pm)Dan Given that the you'd only buy a Get Around 28-day ticket if you had an Under 18 Get Around Key Card, I have no idea why this is actually being compared to what is allegedly the BuzzFare equivalent (which 'ordinary' Key Card holders are entitled to).

Nevertheless, assuming both tickets are purchased 'off-the-bus':

1. 12x 28 day Get Around tickets would cost £720. (£60 x 12 months)
2. 52x 7 day BuzzFare 2 Zone tickets would cost £1248. (£24 x 52 weeks)
3. 52x 7 day BuzzFare 3 Zone tickets would cost £1638. (£31.50 x 52 weeks)

So while this is probably a mistake on Go North East's half and they probably didn't mean to compare the two, they actually deliver a much better saving than the £295.50 they claim. I believe the above calculations are correct and match the information provided on this page, but comparing Options 1 & 3 above, customers could actually save £918.

Again, this reiterates the fact that it probably wasn't meant to be these two tickets being compared, and that Go North East has made a mistake when publishing these details. Unfortunately, it isn't the first time a bus operator has made a mistake on their website and I can guarantee it certainly won't be the last time either.

I find it comes across like they're underselling their own savings. Part of the reason for that is because the products aren't being compared like for like. Why not just match the pay monthly Get Around option (£55.00) with the pay monthly all zones Buzzfare option (£94.49). You'd still get a saving of £39.49 a month or £473.88 a year? It's a comparative (and actually fantastic) saving, because you'd have to purchase the latter product if you weren't a student and were instead commuting to North Shields and back every day for work.

RE: Pricing - cbma06 - 22 Jul 2014

GNE pricing enquiry:

does anybody know how many up to can be on the ticket for a family day ticket on GNE £12. (upto 2 adults and upto 3 children?)

Re: RE: Pricing - Adrian - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 9:54 am)cbma06 GNE pricing enquiry:

does anybody know how many up to can be on the ticket for a family day ticket on GNE £12. (upto 2 adults and upto 3 children?)
Believe it's valid as long as there's one adult and one child? Don't quote me on that.

Re: RE: Pricing - Dan - 22 Jul 2014

I was on the 73 yesterday and a family of five (two adults and three children) got on with that ticket - so I think you're right without looking at the website to confirm.

RE: Pricing - cbma06 - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 10:01 am)Dan I was on the 73 yesterday and a family of five (two adults and three children) got on with that ticket - so I think you're right without looking at the website to confirm.

Our lass and my daughter always buys the family day ticket and has no problems, but today our lass and my daughter boarded the X9 from Peterlee bus station at 09:37 and got the ticket as usual and when the X9 reached Heworth an GNE inspector got on the bus and told my lass that their has to be at least 2 Adults with this ticket, she told the inspector that she got the ticket from the driver and the inspector said ok then, you would of thought that the GNE inspectors should know the conditions of the day tickets.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 22 Jul 2014

Yeah, min of 1 adult.
They're advertised as £11.50 on the x1 monitors - so aren't GNE obliged to sell it at that price?

Re: RE: Pricing - Adrian - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 1:58 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Yeah, min of 1 adult.
They're advertised as £11.50 on the x1 monitors - so aren't GNE obliged to sell it at that price?
Believe it's seen as a civil matter. They're under no obligation to sell someone a product, so at best, you could argue that your consumer rights have been breached.

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 22 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 2:57 pm)aureolin Believe it's seen as a civil matter. They're under no obligation to sell someone a product, so at best, you could argue that your consumer rights have been breached.

And it's unlikely that your consumer rights have been breached unless you have bought the product.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 22 Jul 2014

Either way, it could lead to some interesting discussions (if it hasn't already) between driver and passenger, especially after seeing the lower price advertised - having paid the higher price moments earlier.

RE: Pricing - Andy - 23 Jul 2014

I tried to board the X2(Arriva) from Newcastle to Birtley and the driver said I couldn't use my POP card on Arriva buses, luckily the 21 came just after.

Re: RE: Pricing - Dan - 23 Jul 2014

(23 Jul 2014, 11:28 am)Andy I tried to board the X2(Arriva) from Newcastle to Birtley and the driver said I couldn't use my POP card on Arriva buses, luckily the 21 came just after.
Belmont run by any chance?!

RE: Pricing - Andy - 23 Jul 2014

Yeh it was ran by 7461

RE: Pricing - Chris - 23 Jul 2014

(22 Jul 2014, 1:58 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Yeah, min of 1 adult.

Years back when I was studying for my accountany exams, a similar scenario cropped up. I think Aureolin is correct in stating that it's a civil matter - the advertised price is merely an 'invitation to buy' so no contract is entered into in legal terms. A shop might honour the offered price as a goodwill gesture, but obviously the bus driver can't.

This is going back a bit like, so things might have changed/been updated.