North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - minibus1474 - 04 Aug 2014

(03 Aug 2014, 11:18 pm)Tom A single from Sunderland to Peterlee is £5.70 - yet a East Durham day saver is £4.60, and valid on East Durham services 201, 202, 206, 208, 209, 238, 239, 259, 260, 265, 923, X35 and X7 (from S'land to Station Town) Huh

X7 Pk Lane-Peterlee Bus Station £3.95/£5.50

X35 Pk Lane-Peterlee Bus Station £4.00/£5.70

RE: Pricing - Tom - 04 Aug 2014

(04 Aug 2014, 3:43 pm)minibus1474 X7 Pk Lane-Peterlee Bus Station £3.95/£5.50

X35 Pk Lane-Peterlee Bus Station £4.00/£5.70

The X7 will be £4.00 now if that's the price.
Odd how they quoted the wrong fare.

RE: Pricing - Drifter60 - 04 Aug 2014

(04 Aug 2014, 7:58 am)Tom It is - but what I don't get is how the single is priced at £1.10 more than the return?

I don't think it's right, but that's what it said on the GNE Facebook Page!
[Image: peterlee_zps175cca38.png]

You don't even need a three zone ticket between Peterlee & Sunderland, Turquoise & Red £6.20 covers that.
Due to the simplified price structure Middlesbrough-Sunderland won't be more than £6.20 as the day ticket costs that much.
Sunderland-Peterlee has got to be less than.

Seaham-Sunderland is £3.20 single, but Murton-Sunderland is £2.70 single however both are £4.50 return.

RE: Pricing - Tom - 04 Aug 2014

(04 Aug 2014, 9:31 pm)Drifter60 Seaham-Sunderland is £3.20 single, but Murton-Sunderland is £2.70 single however both are £4.50 return.

I wonder if £5.70 is the return price then (but still the East Durham Saver is cheaper).

(04 Aug 2014, 9:36 pm)Tom I wonder if £5.70 is the return price then (but still the East Durham Saver is cheaper).

Think it might be. Obviously GNE will keep the East Durham Saver on the down low! Make people get a buzzfare instead!

Re: RE: Pricing - Dan - 05 Aug 2014

(04 Aug 2014, 9:42 pm)Drifter60 Think it might be. Obviously GNE will keep the East Durham Saver on the down low! Make people get a buzzfare instead!
Obviously?

If they didn't want people buying the ticket, they wouldn't have it available... It is there to be bought and to compete with competition from Arriva on their 2x services.

If Go North East kept quiet about this ticket, then custom could be lost to Arriva whilst these customers are under the impression that GNE's fares are ludicrously expensive.

RE: Pricing - Drifter60 - 05 Aug 2014

(05 Aug 2014, 5:07 am)Dan Obviously?

If they didn't want people buying the ticket, they wouldn't have it available... It is there to be bought and to compete with competition from Arriva on their 2x services.

If Go North East kept quiet about this ticket, then custom could be lost to Arriva whilst these customers are under the impression that GNE's fares are ludicrously expensive.

Well have you ever seen Customer Services tell anyone about the East Durham Saver?
Why didn't customer services inform the customer about this ticket?
Many a time I've commented on posts when people have been offered Buzzfares instead of this ticket.
Infact I'm struggling to remember when GNE last mentioned purchasing a route saver over the Buzzfares.
Also, didn't it take some time to get Buzzfares on the M-Ticket app?

From a business point of view, if you can upsell the customer the highest priced product possibly then that is in turn more profits. Particularly when the customer is still saving money from buying the equivalent single fares.

Re: RE: Pricing - Dan - 05 Aug 2014

(05 Aug 2014, 10:33 pm)Drifter60 Well have you ever seen Customer Services tell anyone about the East Durham Saver?
Why didn't customer services inform the customer about this ticket?
Many a time I've commented on posts when people have been offered Buzzfares instead of this ticket.
Infact I'm struggling to remember when GNE last mentioned purchasing a route saver over the Buzzfares.
Also, didn't it take some time to get Buzzfares on the M-Ticket app?

From a business point of view, if you can upsell the customer the highest priced product possibly then that is in turn more profits. Particularly when the customer is still saving money from buying the equivalent single fares.

I don't go through each and every post made by customers on Go North East's Facebook page. I use it when I want to know if there are any delays to services, diversions, or special events. I get in touch with the company via a message if I have a query (much more appropriate than a wall post in my opinion - why should my entire friends list have to see what my query is?). Quite frankly, I don't have time to read through wall post after wall post - when the majority of it isn't going to interest me at all in the slightest. If you have more time on your hands, you may be able to account for more instances whereby something has or has not been done.

Despite being an infrequent follower of these wall posts, I have still seen both Route Savers and BuzzFares advertised together. I find it usually depends on the wording of the wall post from the customer, as to whether the GNE bod chooses to include the detail about route savers or not.

From a business point of view, you want to ensure that you definitely keep custom. When launching the East Durham saver ticket, Go North East would have done their research on pricing strategies from competitors - making their product seem more attractive than any other similar product on the market. If a customer thinks that Go North East's prices are ludicrously expensive, they will look to see if there are any better alternatives. If there is, that's revenue lost to a competitor.

So no, I disagree with what you've said entirely. If there was no competition in that area, I'd be more likely to agree. In this case, an innocent mistake - right or wrong in that position, everyone makes them.

RE: Pricing - Tom - 06 Aug 2014

(05 Aug 2014, 10:42 pm)Dan I don't go through each and every post made by customers on Go North East's Facebook page. I use it when I want to know if there are any delays to services, diversions, or special events. I get in touch with the company via a message if I have a query (much more appropriate than a wall post in my opinion - why should my entire friends list have to see what my query is?). Quite frankly, I don't have time to read through wall post after wall post - when the majority of it isn't going to interest me at all in the slightest. If you have more time on your hands, you may be able to account for more instances whereby something has or has not been done.

Despite being an infrequent follower of these wall posts, I have still seen both Route Savers and BuzzFares advertised together. I find it usually depends on the wording of the wall post from the customer, as to whether the GNE bod chooses to include the detail about route savers or not.

From a business point of view, you want to ensure that you definitely keep custom. When launching the East Durham saver ticket, Go North East would have done their research on pricing strategies from competitors - making their product seem more attractive than any other similar product on the market. If a customer thinks that Go North East's prices are ludicrously expensive, they will look to see if there are any better alternatives. If there is, that's revenue lost to a competitor.

So no, I disagree with what you've said entirely. If there was no competition in that area, I'd be more likely to agree. In this case, an innocent mistake - right or wrong in that position, everyone makes them.

Forgot to mention - this was advertised on a Fast Cats Solar yesterday!

Re: RE: Pricing - Dan - 06 Aug 2014

(06 Aug 2014, 8:36 am)Tom Forgot to mention - this was advertised on a Fast Cats Solar yesterday!
Yup - should be advertised on the rear window of one of each batch (old and new Scania L94s)

RE: Pricing - Tom - 06 Aug 2014

(06 Aug 2014, 8:37 am)Dan Yup - should be advertised on the rear window of one of each batch (old and new Scania L94s)

Was the one with a flip dot blind but don't know the fleet number.
Was impressed by the passenger numbers on the X36 mind!

RE: Pricing - Tom - 14 Aug 2014

Saw on the GNE Facebook Page when I looked for a the first time in a while that a single from Burnopfield to Craghead is £4, and Chester to Arnison Centre is £3.20. What a rip off!

RE: Pricing - Dan - 14 Aug 2014

Am I right in thinking that Scarborough - Whitby is 6 quid odd for a return, no matter where in between you are on the route, on service X93?

I was on the front seat of an Omni last Saturday and it certainly seemed that all passengers were being charged that... The driver was trying his best to palm the £7.50 day ticket on them too!

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 14 Aug 2014

(14 Aug 2014, 7:38 pm)Dan Am I right in thinking that Scarborough - Whitby is 6 quid odd for a return, no matter where in between you are on the route, on service X93?

I was on the front seat of an Omni last Saturday and it certainly seemed that all passengers were being charged that... The driver was trying his best to palm the £7.50 day ticket on them too!

Not the first time I've heard the £6 return from Scarborough to Whitby, so I'd assume you're right!

Out of interest, are Explorer NEs valid all the way to Scarborough on the X93?

RE: Pricing - Tom - 14 Aug 2014

(14 Aug 2014, 8:23 pm)aureolin Not the first time I've heard the £6 return from Scarborough to Whitby, so I'd assume you're right!

Yeah they are.

RE: Pricing - Kuyoyo - 14 Aug 2014

(14 Aug 2014, 8:23 pm)aureolin Not the first time I've heard the £6 return from Scarborough to Whitby, so I'd assume you're right!

Yes, Explorers are valid all the way - though they aren't very helpful once you get there apart from returning.

RE: Pricing - DanPicken - 15 Aug 2014

Is there a ticket to get from here to Hull?

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 15 Aug 2014

(15 Aug 2014, 11:02 am)danpick Is there a ticket to get from here to Hull?

To Hull and back?
Watch out for the diamond smugglersWink

The only bus ticket, would be one on Megabus or National Express.
Obviously, train tickets are an option if going by rail.

There certainly isn't a ticket such as an explorer that would take you that far.

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 15 Aug 2014

(15 Aug 2014, 12:31 pm)Andreos Constantopolous To Hull and back?
Watch out for the diamond smugglersWink

The only bus ticket, would be one on Megabus or National Express.
Obviously, train tickets are an option if going by rail.

There certainly isn't a ticket such as an explorer that would take you that far.

NX 534 goes the full route but takes half a day! Explorer and then a day ticket on EYMS would work I guess