North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 15 Aug 2014

(15 Aug 2014, 2:06 pm)tyresmoke NX 534 goes the full route but takes half a day! Explorer and then a day ticket on EYMS would work I guess

Wasn't too sure what sort of ticket would be available down the coast.
I am guessing it would take him just as long via Scarborough as it would on the National Express!

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 15 Aug 2014

(15 Aug 2014, 2:06 pm)tyresmoke NX 534 goes the full route but takes half a day! Explorer and then a day ticket on EYMS would work I guess

Would take the best part of a day too I think. Tongue 1.5 hours on the TTX, over 2 on the X93, and then another 3 hours on the EYMS 121. Unless there's a quicker way?

I'm going to look at doing Hull next year, but I was looking at getting a freedom of the north east rover ticket to do so, as it's the only sensible way of doing some of these yorkshire coast places imo.

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 15 Aug 2014

(15 Aug 2014, 2:17 pm)aureolin I'm going to look at doing Hull next year, but I was looking at getting a freedom of the north east rover ticket to do so, as it's the only sensible way of doing some of these yorkshire coast places imo.

It really is.

You can get to Hull from York in just over an hour while York to Scarborough takes around 45 minutes. However, travelling from Scarborough to Hull can be a bit of a pain if you have any time constraints. Not only is the service infrequent (once every two hours or so) but the journey time is around 80 mins.

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 15 Aug 2014

If was to do it myself it would be like this
06:39 - 4 - Washington to Heworth - 06:55
07:08 - X9 - Heworth to Middlesbrough - 08:10
08:50 - X93 - Middlesbrough to Scarborough - 11:03
11:25 - 121 - Scarborough to Hull - 14:15

Could be done a lot quicker if there was earlier Journeys on the X93 to Scarborough before 08:50, and if the the X21 from Hull was more frequent, rather than once a Day at 04:15(I think) from Scarbrough, which is what came up on the Eyms Website.

(15 Aug 2014, 3:11 pm)NEBCD Malarkey If was to do it myself it would be like this
06:39 - 4 - Washington to Heworth - 06:55
07:08 - X9 - Heworth to Middlesbrough - 08:10
08:50 - X93 - Middlesbrough to Scarborough - 11:03
11:25 - 121 - Scarborough to Hull - 14:15

Could be done a lot quicker if there was earlier Journeys on the X93 to Scarborough before 08:50, and if the the X21 from Hull was more frequent, rather than once a Day at 04:15(I think) from Scarbrough, which is what came up on the Eyms Website.

Close to 8 hours to get to Hull? A 16 hour round trip is insane. As a rule of thumb, I'll get the train if the bus is going to take in excess of 2 hours.

(15 Aug 2014, 4:29 pm)aureolin Close to 8 hours to get to Hull? A 16 hour round trip is insane. As a rule of thumb, I'll get the train if the bus is going to take in excess of 2 hours.

I couldn't find a National Express or Megabus Service which goes to Hull from up here either, Reckon it would have to be stop over night job, if you were to do it that way, just to make it worth the time and effort.

RE: Pricing - Kuyoyo - 15 Aug 2014

(15 Aug 2014, 4:34 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I couldn't find a National Express or Megabus Service which goes to Hull from up here either, Reckon it would have to be stop over night job, if you were to do it that way, just to make it worth the time and effort.

Unless you get the train, any trip by service bus or National Express would mean at least 2 nights in Hull to justify it.

The National Express is the Parks-operated 534. The Southbound departure leaves Newcastle at 1400 (Sunderland at 1430 and Middlesbrough at 1510) arriving in Hull at 1930. The return journey leaves Hull at 0735, arriving in Newcastle at 1250 (Middlesbrough at 1130 and Sunderland at 1215).

(15 Aug 2014, 4:34 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I couldn't find a National Express or Megabus Service which goes to Hull from up here either, Reckon it would have to be stop over night job, if you were to do it that way, just to make it worth the time and effort.

The overnight stop would probably cost you more than the rail fare in the first place. Train would only take you about 2 hours at the very most?

Next year I was going to do a 7 day freedom of the north ticket which is £106. I'll try and do York, Hull, Grimsby, Barton, Doncaster, Sheffield, Leeds, Wakefield, Bradford, Huddersfield, and Carlisle over the course of that week. Not bad value for money really!

(15 Aug 2014, 4:40 pm)Kuyoyo Unless you get the train, any trip by service bus or National Express would mean at least 2 nights in Hull to justify it.

The National Express is the Parks-operated 534. The Southbound departure leaves Newcastle at 1400 (Sunderland at 1430 and Middlesbrough at 1510) arriving in Hull at 1930. The return journey leaves Hull at 0735, arriving in Newcastle at 1250 (Middlesbrough at 1130 and Sunderland at 1215).

Makes my "Malarkey Marathons" look Justifiable, and surely you can go from Newcastle to Hull in less than 5 and Half Hours by Bus/Coach, Only took 3 Hours when I went to Leeds last month, I would argue it's roughly the same distance.

(15 Aug 2014, 4:40 pm)Kuyoyo Unless you get the train, any trip by service bus or National Express would mean at least 2 nights in Hull to justify it.

Coach to Leeds and then the x62 could be the quickest via road.
Can't imagine it to be any longer than the examples given.

RE: Pricing - Kuyoyo - 15 Aug 2014

(15 Aug 2014, 4:46 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Makes my "Malarkey Marathons" look Justifiable, and surely you can go from Newcastle to Hull in less than 5 and Half Hours by Bus/Coach, Only took 3 Hours when I went to Leeds last month, I would argue it's roughly the same distance.

534 goes from Middlesbrough to York (1620) then Leeds arriving there at 1705 (where it has a 55 minutes layover, departing 1800) then to Hull.

(15 Aug 2014, 4:48 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Coach to Leeds and then the x62 could be the quickest via road.
Can't imagine it to be any longer than the examples given.

Still quite a clart on. About 5 hours+ each way I reckon?

(15 Aug 2014, 4:48 pm)Kuyoyo 534 goes from Middlesbrough to York (1620) then Leeds arriving there at 1705 (where it has a 55 minutes layover, departing 1800) then to Hull.

That just seems rather stupid to me, should have it like this. no idea on NX Route Numbers (535) is just an example, this would then cut out 2 Hours of the Journey for those Travelling to Hull.

534 - Newcastle - Sunderland - Middlesborough - York - Hull
535 - Newcaste - Sunderland - Middlesborough - Leeds

(15 Aug 2014, 4:52 pm)aureolin Still quite a clart on. About 5 hours+ each way I reckon?

Leeds to Hull is under 2hrs, so it will just depend on connections/timings as to how long the entire journey takes.

(15 Aug 2014, 4:54 pm)NEBCD Malarkey That just seems rather stupid to me, should have it like this. no idea on NX Route Numbers (535) is just an example, this would then cut out 2 Hours of the Journey for those Travelling to Hull.

If it is scheduled to go via Beverley, the roads are poor - one accident can knack the entire road up.
If it goes via the A1 (m) and m62, then it is skirting Leeds anyway and might as well call in.

(15 Aug 2014, 4:54 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Leeds to Hull is under 2hrs, so it will just depend on connections/timings as to how long the entire journey takes.

Coach to Leeds would be about 3 hours too. Then there's getting to Newcastle or Sunderland to catch the coach. So an extra 30 mins for arguments sake.

(15 Aug 2014, 4:54 pm)NEBCD Malarkey That just seems rather stupid to me, should have it like this. no idea on NX Route Numbers (535) is just an example, this would then cut out 2 Hours of the Journey for those Travelling to Hull.

I honestly can't see many people wanting to go from Newcastle to Hull though. Or even go to Hull at all for that matter... Smile There are regular enough rail connections for those that want to do it.

(15 Aug 2014, 4:57 pm)aureolin Coach to Leeds would be about 3 hours too. Then there's getting to Newcastle or Sunderland to catch the coach. So an extra 30 mins for arguments sake.

Which you are going to have if you go via National Express direct, service bus or train.

There isn't any doubting the train is quicker, but via road - there aren't many options.
You can see why Steve Harper uses the train backwards and forwards!

(15 Aug 2014, 4:58 pm)aureolin I honestly can't see many people wanting to go from Newcastle to Hull though. Or even go to Hull at all for that matter... Smile There are regular enough rail connections for those that want to do it.

And then if some complete door knob decides to get off at the stop before to get a Burger King, and in turn leaves his Luggage on Board, then that adds further time to the Journey, as was the case for me when coming home from Leeds, Left Leeds 45 Minutes Late.

RE: Pricing - GuyParkRoyal - 17 Aug 2014

I have managed to book a Hull trip without an overnight stay or an extended journey time.
East Cost train Durham to York takes 43 mins at a cost of £6.50 each way for advance booking on the East Coast website.
Then take EYMS X4 or X46 from York to Hull and return. £11 for a return ticket or you can get an EYMS day ticket if you want to use their buses while in Hull.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 17 Aug 2014

Was quite shocked that an adult single Edinburgh - Dunfermline is £5.50... The train is 30p more and the journey takes 20 minutes less!

An adult return is £5.70, and a child return is just £2.85.