North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - BJ10VUS - 10 Sep 2014

(10 Sep 2014, 1:49 pm)NEBCD Malarkey How does this work, £1.15 Single from Stagecoach Offices into Town on the E2 and any other Stagecoach Services in Sunderland, but it's £1.30 into Park Lane, I am Baffled as Park Lane is in Sunderland City Centre.

There are departure charges for buses leaving Park Lane Interchange which are not imposed on buses departing from "on street" stops such as Fawcett Street.

RE: Pricing - cbma06 - 10 Sep 2014

(10 Sep 2014, 1:49 pm)NEBCD Malarkey How does this work, £1.15 Single from Stagecoach Offices into Town on the E2 and any other Stagecoach Services in Sunderland, but it's £1.30 into Park Lane, I am Baffled as Park Lane is in Sunderland City Centre.

That's been going on for a very long long time, even before Stagecoach took over Busways, if i remember correctly from speaking to the busways drivers in the early 1990's, theres about 3 fare stages eastbound through the city and only 2 westbound.

ie. it will cost passengers more money for singles eastbound than westbound.

It would be better looked at if any member has updated faretables to hand

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 10 Sep 2014

(10 Sep 2014, 2:42 pm)BJ10VUS There are departure charges for buses leaving Park Lane Interchange which are not imposed on buses departing from "on street" stops such as Fawcett Street.

I thought had crossed my mind but I had thought I had been overcharged, but yeah I suppose that would make sense then.

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 11 Sep 2014

Has anybody else realized that when buying a Day Ticket on the X9/X10 that your been done out of £1.70, merely due to the fact that those Services serve Testos Roundabout which is in the Red Zone, In reality it should only be £6.20 rather than £7.90 as the few Occasions I have used the Service it hasn't stopped there at all, Was checking how many Zones there were along the route as I am considering going to the Stockton Depot Open Day on the 28th, GNE's Profits must be High on the TTX as a Result.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 11 Sep 2014

(11 Sep 2014, 3:30 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Has anybody else realized that when buying a Day Ticket on the X9/X10 that your been done out of £1.70, merely due to the fact that those Services serve Testos Roundabout which is in the Red Zone, In reality it should only be £6.20 rather than £7.90 as the few Occasions I have used the Service it hasn't stopped there at all, Was checking how many Zones there were along the route as I am considering going to the Stockton Depot Open Day on the 28th, GNE's Profits must be High on the TTX as a Result.

Ah, simplified pricing structures!

Re: RE: Pricing - Dan - 11 Sep 2014

(11 Sep 2014, 4:13 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Ah, simplified pricing structures!
What's confusing about that?

Pricing - cbma06 - 11 Sep 2014

(11 Sep 2014, 3:30 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Has anybody else realized that when buying a Day Ticket on the X9/X10 that your been done out of £1.70, merely due to the fact that those Services serve Testos Roundabout which is in the Red Zone, In reality it should only be £6.20 rather than £7.90 as the few Occasions I have used the Service it hasn't stopped there at all, Was checking how many Zones there were along the route as I am considering going to the Stockton Depot Open Day on the 28th, GNE's Profits must be High on the TTX as a Result.

I don't think it doesn't matter if the bus stops their or not, if the bus goes through that coloured zone then that's what you pay for, it's like travelling from Peterlee to Durham on service 208, the bus goes through 3 zones even though the middle zone is a limited amount.

(11 Sep 2014, 4:14 pm)Dan What's confusing about that?

Erm, not sure what you are on about - nowt is confusing... :s

I was simply referring to the famous line about simplified pricing structures - usually trotted out on fb, whenever there is a question, comment or query relating to fares, zones or boundaries.

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 11 Sep 2014

(11 Sep 2014, 4:20 pm)cbma06 I don't think it doesn't matter if the bus stops their or not, if the bus goes through that coloured zone then that's what you pay for, it's like travelling from Peterlee to Durham on service 208, the bus goes through 3 zones even though the middle zone is a limited amount.

But why should a Passenger pay an extra £1.70 for the sake of One Stop which is Rarely Stopped at, well other than at Peak Times where I would assume Passengers may get on/off.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 11 Sep 2014

(11 Sep 2014, 4:20 pm)cbma06 I don't think it doesn't matter if the bus stops their or not, if the bus goes through that coloured zone then that's what you pay for, it's like travelling from Peterlee to Durham on service 208, the bus goes through 3 zones even though the middle zone is a limited amount.

I disagree here - if a service passed through a zone but didn't actually offer customers the opportunity to board or alight in this zone, I wouldn't be too keen on having to pay for a day ticket including that zone.

In the case of the Tyne Tees Xpress, there is a stop there which can be used. It is used, which has been proven in previous posts by our members on Teesside in the past regarding this bus stop, so I can't see what the issue is with the charge for 3+ Zones?

Testo's Roundabout is on the border of Boldon, which is in the Red Zone, so why shouldn't passengers have to pay for a 3+ Zone day ticket?

I can't see why this would be perceived as anything other than simple - the company gives a zonal map on their website, shows the zonal colours for that service in their timetables, etc...

(11 Sep 2014, 4:21 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Erm, not sure what you are on about - nowt is confusing... :s

I was simply referring to the famous line about simplified pricing structures - usually trotted out on fb, whenever there is a question, comment or query relating to fares, zones or boundaries.

Exactly - nothing is confusing.
In this case, the pricing structure is simple to understand...

It goes without saying that the company is likely to design their zonal structure in such a way that they generate more profits, but if a customer asks why they have to buy a 3+ Zone ticket on the 8 and not the 78, they're not going to turn round and say that they want more profits, are they? Huh

RE: Pricing - S813 FVK - 11 Sep 2014

(11 Sep 2014, 4:27 pm)NEBCD Malarkey But why should a Passenger pay an extra £1.70 for the sake of One Stop which is Rarely Stopped at, well other than at Peak Times where I would assume Passengers may get on/off.

That one stop is in the Red Zone, therefore it should be charged for. Unfortunately its the system. I dont think it'd be good to withdraw the zone system for the TTX and keep it for the rest.

(11 Sep 2014, 4:29 pm)Dan I disagree here - if a service passed through a zone but didn't actually offer customers the opportunity to board or alight in this zone, I wouldn't be too keen on having to pay for a day ticket including that zone.

In the case of the Tyne Tees Xpress, there is a stop there which can be used. It is used, which has been proven in previous posts by our members on Teesside in the past regarding this bus stop, so I can't see what the issue is with the charge for 3+ Zones?

Testo's Roundabout is on the border of Boldon, which is in the Red Zone, so why shouldn't passengers have to pay for a 3+ Zone day ticket?

I can't see why this would be perceived as anything other than simple - the company gives a zonal map on their website, shows the zonal colours for that service in their timetables, etc...

Exactly - nothing is confusing.
In this case, the pricing structure is simple to understand...

It goes without saying that the company is likely to design their zonal structure in such a way that they generate more profits, but if a customer asks why they have to buy a 3+ Zone ticket on the 8 and not the 78, they're not going to turn round and say that they want more profits, are they? Huh

Completely lost me off Dan.
No idea what you are on about or why you have brought up confusion, points about profits etc. - when all I did was quote a line used by GNE...

#mountain
#molehill
#hashtagsonNEB

(11 Sep 2014, 4:59 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Completely lost me off Dan.
No idea what you are on about or why you have brought up confusion, points about profits etc. - when all I did was quote a line used by GNE...

#mountain
#molehill
#hashtagsonNEB

Yes - you regularly quote that line sarcastically when something could be perceived as slightly confusing, with regards to pricing, zonal structures, etc. An antonym of 'simple' is 'confusing' or 'complicated', hence my posts.

In this instance, it is simple; nothing is confusing, nor complicated.

RE: Pricing - Tom - 11 Sep 2014

(11 Sep 2014, 5:13 pm)Dan Yes - you regularly quote that line sarcastically when something could be perceived as slightly confusing, with regards to pricing, zonal structures, etc. An antonym of 'simple' is 'confusing' or 'complicated', hence my posts.

In this instance, it is simple; nothing is confusing, nor complicated.

It's a rip off though.

(11 Sep 2014, 5:18 pm)Tom It's a rip off though.

How do you justify this statement?

According to this website, the average miles per gallon achieved by a car is 24.9.
When travelling via the A19, the distance between Newcastle and Middlesbrough is 40 miles.
When using this website to calculate the fuel cost for a car using the above figures (rounded), the journey would cost £7.05 - this is before you add the cost of parking, etc.

A ticket, which can be used as many times as the customer likes, costing £7.90, is therefore very good value - regardless of the additional zone cost by having a stop within the Red Zone.

(11 Sep 2014, 5:24 pm)Dan How do you justify this statement?

According to this website, the average miles per gallon achieved by a car is 24.9.
When travelling via the A19, the distance between Newcastle and Middlesbrough is 40 miles.
When using this website to calculate the fuel cost for a car using the above figures (rounded), the journey would cost £7.05 - this is before you add the cost of parking, etc.

A ticket, which can be used as many times as the customer likes, costing £7.90, is therefore very good value - regardless of the additional zone cost by having a stop within the Red Zone.

Who mentioned Newcastle to Middlesbrough?
What about Heworth to Peterlee? Still £7.90.

(11 Sep 2014, 5:26 pm)Tom Who mentioned Newcastle to Middlesbrough?
What about Heworth to Peterlee? Still £7.90.

19 miles - costing £3.35 - using the same figures as above.
Accounting for the return journey, plus the cost of parking, the £7.90 day ticket still works out at much better value.

RE: Pricing - S813 FVK - 11 Sep 2014

Think people seem to be forgetting that these zone tickets are day tickets that can be used on all services within those zones. They are not designed to be used as singles and returns...no wonder people are classing it as a rip off.

(11 Sep 2014, 5:27 pm)Dan 19 miles - costing £3.35 - using the same figures as above.
Accounting for the return journey, plus the cost of parking, the £7.90 day ticket still works out at much better value.

Parking is free though. So 20p cheaper using the car.
ANE are a lot cheaper than GNE in some instances, as I think a return on the X1/X2 from Newcastle to Middlesbrough was £6.50, although it takes 30 minutes longer.

RE: Pricing - cbma06 - 11 Sep 2014

(11 Sep 2014, 4:27 pm)NEBCD Malarkey But why should a Passenger pay an extra £1.70 for the sake of One Stop which is Rarely Stopped at, well other than at Peak Times where I would assume Passengers may get on/off.

even if the X9/X10 didn't stop at that 1 single bus stop, passengers are still going to be charged to go through the red zone.