North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Tom - 02 Mar 2015

(02 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm)MarcTheA4 When on a 56 recently, between Concord and Sunderland - a guy got on and paid something like £5.70 or £5.90 for a return between the two. 

Bloody hell! That's a rip off!

Another thing I don't get is:
56, X1 etc. - Gateshead to Wrekenton - £2.00
Orbits - £1.50

27, X9, X10, X36 etc. Gateshead to Heworth - £2.00
Orbits - £1.50

RE: Pricing - R852 PRG - 02 Mar 2015

(02 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm)Tom Bloody hell! That's a rip off!

Another thing I don't get is:
56, X1 etc. - Gateshead to Wrekenton - £2.00
Orbits - £1.50

27, X9, X10, X36 etc. Gateshead to Heworth - £2.00
Orbits - £1.50

Do the Orbit services not have a set fare, though? Like the Sunderland Connect?

RE: Pricing - Tom - 02 Mar 2015

(02 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm)MarcTheA4 Do the Orbit services not have a set fare, though? Like the Sunderland Connect?

Yeah they do - but I don't see the logic in having to different prices on different routes for the same journey.

RE: Pricing - DanPicken - 02 Mar 2015

(02 Mar 2015, 5:10 pm)Tom Yeah they do - but I don't see the logic in having to different prices on different routes for the same journey.

Even though the Orbit seems to go everywhere.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 02 Mar 2015

I think it's far from ideal, but you're always going to get these discrepancies. In a commercial environment, I'd think that certain services are marketed differently to others, in order to increase patronage. If this helps services with lower use survive, then it's obviously a good thing.

I've made my feelings clear more than once though. I'd love to see lower fares a lot round, but that's not going to be a possibility in the current market.

RE: Pricing - GuyParkRoyal - 02 Mar 2015

(02 Mar 2015, 4:34 pm)Tom Just saw on the GNE Facebook page that a single from Birtley to Gateshead is £3.20!
Is this a mistake, as that's ridiculous.

£3.20 gets me from Chester le Street, Black Horse to Eldon Square on GNE services (£2.80 on Arriva) which makes the Birtley to Gateshead fare look poor VFM.

Personally, I think when Quality Contracts comes into it all - I'd like to see (presuming all other counties or areas join outside of Tyne and Wear, to make things easier and a lot better on the whole) a certain fare rate. Something like;

Travel within Tyne and Wear - £1.50
Travel from Tyne and Wear to Northumberland - £2.00
Travel from Tyne and Wear to County Durham - £2.00
And so on...

Also, I'd like to see the 'half' (as my grandad used to call it Wink) fare of 90 pence for a child changed. With the fairly recent fare rise of 5 pence by Go North East (something to do with drivers having issues with change?), it's only fair (given it's only 10 pence difference, and they are generally easier to come across in change) that the child's fare is rounded up to £1.00.

Just my suggestions, obviously I don't follow Quality Contracts, or the constant debate, but I do pick up they wanted to introduce some sort of fare boundary? Smile

RE: Pricing - Dan - 02 Mar 2015

(02 Mar 2015, 8:42 pm)MarcTheA4 Personally, I think when Quality Contracts comes into it all - I'd like to see (presuming all other counties or areas join outside of Tyne and Wear, to make things easier and a lot better on the whole) a certain fare rate. Something like;

Travel within Tyne and Wear - £1.50
Travel from Tyne and Wear to Northumberland - £2.00
Travel from Tyne and Wear to County Durham - £2.00
And so on...

Also, I'd like to see the 'half' (as my grandad used to call it Wink) fare of 90 pence for a child changed. With the fairly recent fare rise of 5 pence by Go North East (something to do with drivers having issues with change?), it's only fair (given it's only 10 pence difference, and they are generally easier to come across in change) that the child's fare is rounded up to £1.00.

Just my suggestions, obviously I don't follow Quality Contracts, or the constant debate, but I do pick up they wanted to introduce some sort of fare boundary? Smile

As attached.

.pdf
Appendix J Fare Information Examples_1.pdf
Size 302.7 KB / Downloads 30

(02 Mar 2015, 8:47 pm)Dan As attached.

Thanks Dan. Shows how little I pay attention in that field. Tongue

RE: Pricing - Dan - 02 Mar 2015

(02 Mar 2015, 8:51 pm)MarcTheA4 Thanks Dan. Shows how little I pay attention in that field. Tongue

Should note that the fares in Appendix J are based on the rates at 2012 - so they're subject to going up further beyond that. The zone map is structured similar to the Network One zone map, which is why there are winners and losers compared to the current operator ticketing options.

RE: Pricing - park5354 - 02 Mar 2015

(02 Mar 2015, 4:34 pm)Tom Just saw on the GNE Facebook page that a single from Birtley to Gateshead is £3.20!
Is this a mistake, as that's ridiculous.

Birtley-Gateshead is £2.70 single.  If you board before Barley Mow travelling to Gateshead, the fare should be £3.20.

RE: Pricing - roar - 04 Mar 2015

Something I have been meaning to post for a bit is the difference in Transfare prices. Not sure what Go-North East or Arriva Transfare prices are but here is an example using a Stagecoach service then metro.

Stagecoach service from Sunderland estate to city then metro to Newcastle £3.80
Returning the other way its £4.30, a 50p difference.

RE: Pricing - Greg in Weardale - 05 Mar 2015

But then a Nexus day ticket would be less than double even the cheaper fare.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - omnicity4659 - 09 Mar 2015

(08 Mar 2015, 10:50 pm)leestransportphotos Didn't have that much of a run around this weekend

Saturday -

X1 - Wrekenton to Newcastle
Trainspotting in Newcastle
10 - Newcastle to MetroCentre
Steam rail tour at MetroCentre
10A - MetroCentre to Newcastle
Trainspotting in Newcastle

X1 - Newcastle to Wrekenton

Sunday -

1 Wrekenton to Low Fell/Harlow Green
21 - Birtley to Barley Mow
82A - Barley Mow to Birtley
21 Birtley Station Lane to Coach and Horses

Wouldn't it have been easier just to use Northern's NCL - MCE service? Explorers are valid on them.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - R852 PRG - 09 Mar 2015

(09 Mar 2015, 7:07 pm)Tommy_1581 Wouldn't it have been easier just to use Northern's NCL - MCE service? Explorers are valid on them.

Quite a few interesting things I saw on the 10s on Saturday. 3966, 3941, etc. 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - LeeCalder - 09 Mar 2015

(09 Mar 2015, 7:07 pm)Tommy_1581 Wouldn't it have been easier just to use Northern's NCL - MCE service? Explorers are valid on them.

I didn't have an explorer. Why buy a ticket which is £9 odd or what ever when you can have a day ticket for £1.10

(09 Mar 2015, 7:38 pm)leestransportphotos I didn't have an explorer. Why buy a ticket which is £9 odd or what ever when you can have a day ticket for £1.10

Ah right, makes sense now!  Rolleyes

My trips to NCL cost less than £4.50, so it ain't worth paying for an explorer either.

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 09 Mar 2015

(09 Mar 2015, 7:38 pm)leestransportphotos I didn't have an explorer. Why buy a ticket which is £9 odd or what ever when you can have a day ticket for £1.10

Isn't the £1.10 CAT valid on the Northern Rail service? I'd thought the validity was the same as a Day Rover? 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Dan - 09 Mar 2015

(09 Mar 2015, 7:42 pm)aureolin Isn't the £1.10 CAT valid on the Northern Rail service? I'd thought the validity was the same as a Day Rover? 
Sure is. Used it many a time myself.

(09 Mar 2015, 7:42 pm)aureolin Isn't the £1.10 CAT valid on the Northern Rail service? I'd thought the validity was the same as a Day Rover? 

I thought it was £1.20?

Is that £1.10 CAT, valid on bus, metro and rail?

If so, I'm going to bloody murder Nexus.