North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - MrFozz - 10 Mar 2015

(10 Mar 2015, 6:24 pm)Tommy_1581 Use the Metro from NCL to MAS. Manors Metro is just a two minute walk from the station.
Surely MMT-MAS is the best way for the Metro, go from NCLand you go through MMT and go round the Coast to reach MAS...

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - LeeCalder - 10 Mar 2015

(10 Mar 2015, 5:02 pm)Tom I can assure you they are valid from Sunderland-Blaydon.
Why would they change it?

According to my Uncle who is a guard for Northern they are no longer valid. I also asked Nexus who said the same 

(10 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm)Robert So that must have been what Lee had as opposed to a £1.10 CAT as he said.

I think I know what ticket I had. I had a Nexus Cat 

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Tom - 10 Mar 2015

(10 Mar 2015, 8:06 pm)leestransportphotos According to my Uncle who is a guard for Northern they are no longer valid. I also asked Nexus who said the same 

Funny that, because Adrian rang Nexus who confirmed they were valid Blaydon-Sunderland.

Funny that I rang Nexus and they also said that a £1.10 day ticket is not valid (Nexus Cat)

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews - Adrian - 10 Mar 2015

I think we'll end this discussion there, and move it to the pricing thread.  

The information (with valid sources) has been provided, and I'm sure members are more than capable of using it themselves.

RE: Pricing - Tom - 10 Mar 2015

(10 Mar 2015, 8:10 pm)leestransportphotos Funny that I rang Nexus and they also said that a £1.10 day ticket is not valid (Nexus Cat)

Well why would Nexus tell two different people different things?  Huh

RE: Pricing - LeeCalder - 10 Mar 2015

How am I supposed to know? She sounded like a bit of a thick t**t to be fair

RE: Pricing - cbma06 - 11 Mar 2015

I was on the X21/21 service at Peterlee yesterday, a passenger got on and paid £6 for a single from Peterlee to Darlington.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 23 Mar 2015

As the UK is facing a spell of deflation (http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/mar/22/falling-energy-and-food-prices-push-uk-towards-deflation) and operators are paying less for their fuel than previously (http://www.go-ahead.com/ir/busfuelpolicy.aspx), I wonder if we are we likely to see a drop in ticket prices soon?

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 23 Mar 2015

I doubt we'll see a drop in anything. The only change will be the increased profit margins.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 23 Mar 2015

(23 Mar 2015, 3:42 pm)aureolin I doubt we'll see a drop in anything. The only change will be the increased profit margins.

Here's me thinking I was the cynical one? Wink

Imagine the PR they could get out of it? Lower fuel prices and lower insurance premiums, coupled together to mean lower fares?
With the additional custom the lower fares could generate, the profits could increase even more!
They could even use it in their war against QCS.

RE: Pricing - Chris - 24 Mar 2015

(23 Mar 2015, 2:03 pm)Andreos1 As the UK is facing a spell of deflation (http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/mar/22/falling-energy-and-food-prices-push-uk-towards-deflation) and operators are paying less for their fuel than previously (http://www.go-ahead.com/ir/busfuelpolicy.aspx), I wonder if we are we likely to see a drop in ticket prices soon?

If the big 3 hedge their fuel, surely a drop in fuel prices today won't have any effect?  The price they're paying today would have been 'hedged' 12 months ago when prices were higher.

Whilst fuel won't be an insignificant cost, I would have thought staff costs would make up a larger part of operators cost base.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 24 Mar 2015

(24 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm)Chris If the big 3 hedge their fuel, surely a drop in fuel prices today won't have any effect?  The price they're paying today would have been 'hedged' 12 months ago when prices were higher.

Whilst fuel won't be an insignificant cost, I would have thought staff costs would make up a larger part of operators cost base.

All of their fuel for the next couple of years is purchased.
The link shows how that price has dropped by quite a few pence per litre over the last year or two and into the future.

They normally don't buy as much fuel in advance, as they have done (according to the info on the site), but have taken advantage of the lower prices and exchange rates, to buy ahead of schedule - getting it cheaper than in recent years.
4 or 5p per litre cheaper for our cars, makes a heck of a difference. Imagine paying 6p per litre less, for a fleet of buses? Massive savings - regardless of wages.

I have to say, my initial post was tongue in cheek.
Despite a lot of other everyday items falling (including food delivered by hauliers - who also hedge their fuel) and a possible period of deflation, I am not holding my breath that bus operators will drop theirs.

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 24 Mar 2015

Guess this is as good a thread as any.

Some fare changes from 5th April I've become aware of...
Nexus Day Rover prices going upto £7.00 and Junior £3.90
Explorer also goes upto £9.70 and family one upto £19.50. Child stays at £8.50

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 24 Mar 2015

(24 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm)tyresmoke Guess this is as good a thread as any.

Guess Nexus need a few pennies to keep there Diabolical Metro System running, and Ripping Passengers off in the process, £7 for a Day Rover is absolutely disgusting.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 24 Mar 2015

(24 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm)tyresmoke Guess this is as good a thread as any.

(24 Mar 2015, 8:26 pm)Malarkey Guess Nexus need a few pennies to keep there Diabolical Metro System running, and Ripping Passengers off in the process, £7 for a Day Rover is absolutely disgusting.

I don't mean to sound facetious, but it's a Network One Day Rover, rather than a Nexus Day Rover, isn't it?

Fares, to my understanding, are set by the Network One scheme administers. I can't remember exactly how it works, but it's something like shares are allocated in the 'Network Ticketing Limited' company, based on your 'share' of the revenue from the sales. It currently works out something like 60% buses/40% PTE, with Go Ahead having the majority of that 60% buses. 

Does that same statement apply now that it's not Nexus? Smile

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 24 Mar 2015

(24 Mar 2015, 9:06 pm)aureolin I don't mean to sound facetious, but it's a Network One Day Rover, rather than a Nexus Day Rover, isn't it?

Fares, to my understanding, are set by the Network One scheme administers. I can't remember exactly how it works, but it's something like shares are allocated in the 'Network Ticketing Limited' company, based on your 'share' of the revenue from the sales. It currently works out something like 60% buses/40% PTE, with Go Ahead having the majority of that 60% buses. 

Does that same statement apply now that it's not Nexus? Smile
Yeah it is Network One(My Bad) and yes that Statement does still apply now that it is not Nexus Smile .

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 25 Mar 2015

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=627
Network Ticketing thread, inc a link to shareholders.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 - Tom - 02 May 2015

Buzzfare prices are increasing.
I'll take a photo of the details when I'm next on the bus.