North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - citaro5284 - 28 Jul 2015

(28 Jul 2015, 8:00 pm)tyresmoke What I meant was the regionwide+X10 ticket would have been before the X9 existed.
Coaches haven't operated X10 for at least as long as I can remember, though maybe in the early years when it was a shared Northern/United service? The pink Premieres/Paragons were the early days of the X9

Coaches were used on the X10 when it was jointly operated with United along with the X1 (at the time), when Chester ran it.

The duty was something like X1 from Chester to Newcastle, X10 to Middlesboro and back to Newcastle, then X1 back to Chester.

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 28 Jul 2015

(28 Jul 2015, 8:04 pm)citaro5284 Coaches were used on the X10 when it was jointly operated with United along with the X1 (at the time), when Chester ran it.

The duty was something like X1 from Chester to Newcastle, X10 to Middlesboro and back to Newcastle, then X1 back to Chester.

Thought they might have! That sounds like a decent day mind... Would have been a good 4-5 hours?

RE: Pricing - R852 PRG - 28 Jul 2015

(28 Jul 2015, 8:09 pm)tyresmoke Thought they might have! That sounds like a decent day mind... Would have been a good 4-5 hours?

I hear most coaches are fantastic to drive, if I was a driver, I certainly wouldn't object to a nice drive like that in a Volvo B10M coach!  Big Grin

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 28 Jul 2015

(28 Jul 2015, 8:10 pm)R852 PRG I hear most coaches are fantastic to drive, if I was a driver, I certainly wouldn't object to a nice drive like that in a Volvo B10M coach!  Big Grin

Think it would have been Leyland Tigers in those days!

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 28 Jul 2015

(28 Jul 2015, 8:04 pm)citaro5284 Coaches were used on the X10 when it was jointly operated with United along with the X1 (at the time), when Chester ran it.

Don't forget the Metrobuses that Chester used.

Uprated engines and coach seating on the Cxxx OCn examples.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 28 Jul 2015

(28 Jul 2015, 8:13 pm)Andreos1 Don't forget the Metrobuses that Chester used.

Uprated engines and coach seating on the Cxxx OCn examples.
Ooh aye. Superliner branded Metrobuses rings a bell!

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 28 Jul 2015

(28 Jul 2015, 8:27 pm)aureolin Ooh aye. Superliner branded Metrobuses rings a bell!

There was the Express Link livery prior to that.
If I remember right, there was a blue variation of it too. Sure a VR or two were painted into that livery.

edit: http://bcv.robsly.com/jpt906t.html
Pics of a VR in both Express Link and the Blue variation, which was prior to de-reg.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 19 Aug 2015

It turns out the £2.80 fare from Houghton - Heworth on the 4, isn't unique.

It is £2.80 single from both the Galleries and Albany to Heworth.

£3.90 return by all accounts from Heworth, to the three places mentioned (and presumably to the points in-between).

RE: Pricing - Michael - 02 Sep 2015

Quick question, can you the Day Rover on the ticket between Sunderland Newcastle on the Northern trains?

RE: Pricing - BusLoverMum - 02 Sep 2015

According to the nexus website, yes

(02 Sep 2015, 2:03 pm)BusLoverMum According to the nexus website, yes

Cheers, i didn't even think about checking the sites... Tongue

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 02 Sep 2015

(02 Sep 2015, 1:54 pm)Michael Quick question, can you the Day Rover on the ticket between Sunderland Newcastle on the Northern trains?
Day rover is valid on Northern rail between Blaydon and Sunderland. The Explorer is only valid between Newcastle and Sunderland.

(02 Sep 2015, 2:07 pm)aureolin Day rover is valid on Northern rail between Blaydon and Sunderland. The Explorer is only valid between Newcastle and Sunderland.

Cheers, its just for when i enroll on the day.... i have my route etc planned but couldn't remember if day rovers was valid on the Northern trains between Sunderland Blaydon... getting a day rover because i won't get my network one pass until later that day or the day after... need my new student card........

Its annoying as out.

RE: Pricing - omnicity4659 - 02 Sep 2015

(02 Sep 2015, 2:07 pm)aureolin Day rover is valid on Northern rail between Blaydon and Sunderland. The Explorer is only valid between Newcastle and Sunderland.

Northern Rail customer services told me that the Day Rover is valid Newcastle to Sunderland and the Explorer Blaydon and Sunderland. The conductor on the train we used confirmed what NR said.

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read the email and it states that both tickets are valid Sunderland-Blaydon. 

I think that they use Newcastle-Sunderland just for clarity.

RE: Pricing - Panasonic44 - 02 Sep 2015

I have been using Day Rover very long time to get to Metrocentre to Sunderland and back every time. It can be confusing when it says Newcastle to Sunderland.

Also Explorer ticket go's beyond Tyne and Wear boarders/Newcastle to Sunderland Line. e.g to Carlisle or Alnwick or Nunthorpe.

Also you can check via Northern Rail Network Map to where the zone are.

RE: Pricing - DanPicken - 02 Sep 2015

(02 Sep 2015, 3:34 pm)Panasonic44 I have been using Day Rover very long time to get to Metrocentre to Sunderland and back every time. It can be confusing when it says Newcastle to Sunderland.

Also Explorer ticket go's beyond Tyne and Wear boarders/Newcastle to Sunderland Line. e.g to Carlisle or Alnwick or Nunthorpe.

The Explorer doesn't get you on the train to Berwick/Nunthorpe etc only between Blaydon and Sunderland.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 02 Sep 2015

(02 Sep 2015, 3:34 pm)Panasonic44 I have been using Day Rover very long time to get to Metrocentre to Sunderland and back every time. It can be confusing when it says Newcastle to Sunderland.

That would surprise me, given that an adult advance single for the same journey costs more than a North East Explorer ticket..!

Would be really handy if it was valid though - would save having to trek across on the 685.

RE: Pricing - omnicity4659 - 02 Sep 2015

North East Explorer
Day Rover

As it states at the very bottom of the page, Blaydon - Sunderland rail line. Not all Northern Rail or other rail operators' services.

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 02 Sep 2015

(02 Sep 2015, 4:05 pm)GX03 SVC North East Explorer
Day Rover

As it states at the very bottom of the page, Blaydon - Sunderland rail line. Not all Northern Rail or other rail operators' services.

I wasn't aware you could travel to Jedburgh on an Explorer like?

RE: Pricing - BusLoverMum - 02 Sep 2015

I'm sure the explorer is only valid on bus routes by companies that subscribe to it and not on rail lines beyond the Newcastle to Sunderland line, which tends to allow network day tickets and such for historical reasons, as much as anything (that bit of rail route has been slightly redundant since the Metro was extended to Sunderland)

This page confirms that, in fact
http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/tickets/explorer-tickets

Ticket is NOT valid:
  • ON TRAINS (except Newcastle to Sunderland)
  • NATIONAL EXPRESS COACHES
  • ON PRE-BOOKED COACH TOURS
  • WEARDALE MOTOR SERVICE X21
  • HADRIAN’S WALL SERVICE
  • MOORBUS SERVICES X60/X61
  • CITY SIGHTSEEING TOURS

So, I can use my explorer on the arriva bus that connects my co Durham village with Durham and Sunderland. And connections to Darlo, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough etc as well as anywhere through Tyne and Wear and Further north. I can get on a connecting GNE bus with it. If I want to catch the scarlet band bus that passes through my village, between Hartlepool and Durham, it's not valid and I'd need to by a different ticket.