North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Tamesider - 29 Nov 2016

(29 Nov 2016, 6:10 pm)ifm001 Bearing in mind though Manchester has 3 separate shuttle buses running regular which are free of charge to all customers serving a vast area of the City Centre I am sure the likes of the customers in Newcastle Sunderland and a few more major cities would give their right arm for unlimited free travel across the city centres.

True, but these run from Piccadilly Rail Station and involve quite a walk from bus stops. Also, one crazily serves Shudehill in one direction and not the other! As regards the routes on "my" side of Manchester (east), we had frequent cross city services until 1995, but these were kicked out of the city centre

RE: Pricing - Ambassador - 30 Nov 2016

I see the fare rises have gone pretty much under cover by publicity lovin social media hawks GNE

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 30 Nov 2016

(29 Nov 2016, 5:00 pm)Tamesider WADR (I've just invented that), without knowing where you boarded and how far it is to Durham, its difficult to pass judgement. Nevertheless, it does seem excessive for a single ticket on what I assume is an all stops service. Also, last I heard, Drivers don't decide fares policy - except on certain Operators in GM who have thankfully now ceased, that is.

Houghton to Durham on the 20/20A or X20. There's a slight variation in each of the routes, but the X20 is the quicker and shorter of the three - by virtue of missing East & West Rainton and Gilesgate.

RE: Pricing - LVK 404L - 30 Nov 2016

(29 Nov 2016, 7:04 pm)Tamesider True, but these run from Piccadilly Rail Station and involve quite a walk from bus stops. Also, one crazily serves Shudehill in one direction and not the other! As regards the routes on "my" side of Manchester (east), we had frequent cross city services until 1995, but these were kicked out of the city centre

Once they leave Picadilly you can board and alight at many stops not just Picadilly. also the shuttle 2 starts and finishes at ShudeHill so how can you say only serves in one direction. At end of day Manchester has 3 fantastic free to use bus services. Wish we had that here.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 30 Nov 2016

(30 Nov 2016, 8:45 am)ifm001 Once they leave Picadilly you can board and alight at many stops not just Picadilly. also the shuttle 2 starts and finishes at ShudeHill so how can you say only serves in one direction. At end of day Manchester has 3 fantastic free to use bus services. Wish we had that here.

I suppose our equivalent would be the Sunderland Connect 700 service. This service is free to use for university students.

With the Manchester shuttle services, I have found that it is actually quicker to walk than it is to get those shuttle services and sit in all of the traffic.

RE: Pricing - LVK 404L - 30 Nov 2016

(30 Nov 2016, 8:47 am)Dan I suppose our equivalent would be the Sunderland Connect 700 service. This service is free to use for university students.

With the Manchester shuttle services, I have found that it is actually quicker to walk than it is to get those shuttle services and sit in all of the traffic.

Yes Dan but my point is there are 3 bus services free to anyone not just students or pensioners. it is a great asset to Manchester and envied by many  I suppose it depends on which part you can walk to but Shudehill to Deansgate is quite a walk I'd rather sit in traffic on a free bus  no comparison to our 700 at all.

RE: Pricing - Tamesider - 30 Nov 2016

(30 Nov 2016, 8:45 am)ifm001 Once they leave Picadilly you can board and alight at many stops not just Picadilly. also the shuttle 2 starts and finishes at ShudeHill so how can you say only serves in one direction. At end of day Manchester has 3 fantastic free to use bus services. Wish we had that here.

I accept its an excellent service overall, but is mainly for Rail commuters accessing parts of the city Trams don't serve - especially as the MetroShuttles themselves can no longer get to many of the city centre shops, with such as Corporation Street being given over to Trams. And you're a bit behind with MetroShuttle 2. From Piccadilly Rail Station, it goes through the Northern Quarter (nowhere near Piccadilly Bus Station), stopping at Church Street (c. 300 metres from Shudehill). It then runs non stop along High Street, Withy Grove and even Urbis, before stopping outside Victoria Station. It only stops at Shudehill on the way back from Oxford Road Station (and Deansgate/Victoria)

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 01 Dec 2016

It appears Bridget Phillipson is now involved in the GNE price increase debate, after being informed of it by constituents.

RE: Pricing - James101 - 03 Dec 2016

(30 Nov 2016, 9:07 am)ifm001 Yes Dan but my point is there are 3 bus services free to anyone not just students or pensioners. it is a great asset to Manchester and envied by many  I suppose it depends on which part you can walk to but Shudehill to Deansgate is quite a walk I'd rather sit in traffic on a free bus  no comparison to our 700 at all.

When I was a student in Manchester I worked at the Pizza Hut on Corporation Street, the Metroshuttle 2 went past the front back then. We'd dare the new starters to sneak out on Saturday afternoon and try to do a full lap of the city on the bus before the manager noticed they were gone.

RE: Pricing - Tamesider - 04 Dec 2016

(03 Dec 2016, 11:50 pm)James101 When I was a student in Manchester I worked at the Pizza Hut on Corporation Street, the Metroshuttle 2 went past the front back then. We'd dare the new starters to sneak out on Saturday afternoon and try to do a full lap of the city on the bus before the manager noticed they were gone.

All three routes have changed a number of times recently to accomodate Metrolink work - and will no doubt change again once the "second City Crossing" is open early next year

RE: Pricing - Michael - 04 Dec 2016

(01 Dec 2016, 8:45 am)Andreos1 It appears Bridget Phillipson is now involved in the GNE price increase debate, after being informed of it by constituents.

For once i'm happy to see her name mentioned hahahah

Na, it's wrong how GNE done it though, posters up a day before they changed....

RE: Pricing - Ambassador - 04 Dec 2016

(04 Dec 2016, 3:07 pm)Michael For once i'm happy to see her name mentioned hahahah

It was calculated and deceitful. Appalling customer service from a monopoly. If is was any other business the Competition and Markets Authority would be on it.

Some friends of mine visited Durham with me today. From Newcastle they paid Six pound return.

I paid the same from birtley. If I'd have walked a few hundred yards to the next stop it's One pound twenty cheaper.

It's absolutely criminal the pricing on routes. I wish someone would give them some competition to at least make them sit up and listen. When it's  cheaper to drive, there's a problem

RE: Pricing - Michael - 04 Dec 2016

(04 Dec 2016, 6:45 pm)Ambassador It was calculated and deceitful. Appalling customer service from a monopoly. If is was any other business the Competition and Markets Authority would be on it.

Some friends of mine visited Durham with me today. From Newcastle they paid Six pound return.

I paid the same from birtley. If I'd have walked a few hundred yards to the next stop it's One pound twenty cheaper.

It's absolutely criminal the pricing on routes. I wish someone would give them some competition to at least make them sit up and listen. When it's  cheaper to drive, there's a problem

Ye, but that's because of the buzzfares, well according to them.

The whole buzzfare zones/prices need reviewing.

Hylton Retail park to Park lane is £1.85 but if i walk up to the Queen Alexandrea bridge North side its £1.45 from where i get on it's 2 stops from the bridge.... 

How does that work?

40p difference, i rarely get single tickets but thought i would share haha

RE: Pricing - Tamesider - 04 Dec 2016

(04 Dec 2016, 6:45 pm)Ambassador It was calculated and deceitful. Appalling customer service from a monopoly. If is was any other business the Competition and Markets Authority would be on it.

Fare increases on the quiet is the norm in Gtr. Manchester, if only because depot staff are slow in putting up notices in buses.

As for being cheaper to drive - how much is petrol and parking in the North East? Its virtually impossible for bus fares to be cheaper than driving in GM unless you do 75+ miles a week on the bus or work in Manchester itself and your employer doesn't provide free parking. Certainly, you can't compare Newcastle to Durham with any bus services here as the longest routes left are about 12 miles*

*excluding composite routes like the 22 (Stockport to Bolton) which takes up to 3 hours end to end.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 04 Dec 2016

£3.50 return Low Fell - Newcastle ANE. 
£3.90 for the equivalent GNE service. 
I would say passengers are paying for frequency, but even this morning there were 21's running in pairs.
(04 Dec 2016, 8:03 pm)Tamesider Fare increases on the quiet is the norm in Gtr. Manchester, if only because depot staff are slow in putting up notices in buses.

As for being cheaper to drive - how much is petrol and parking in the North East? Its virtually impossible for bus fares to be cheaper than driving in GM unless you do 75+ miles a week on the bus or work in Manchester itself and your employer doesn't provide free parking. Certainly, you can't compare Newcastle to Durham with any bus services here as the longest routes left are about 12 miles*

*excluding composite routes like the 22 (Stockport to Bolton) which takes up to 3 hours end to end.

It takes seconds to stick an update on social media. It takes away the reliance on the depot staff to add posters to vehicles too.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 05 Dec 2016

Just had my first experience on the 20 since the price increase. It's also my first trip on a bus since last week.
There was a poster on the bus, located on the drivers cab door. I didn't notice it until I was sat down.

No longer will you see any moaning about the extortionate  £4.10 fare from Durham - Houghton. It is now £4.20.

(04 Dec 2016, 3:07 pm)Michael For once i'm happy to see her name mentioned hahahah

I will see if I can find a link from the Transport briefing she attended. There's some links to Hansard and the usual brush-off response from the Tory stand-in.

RE: Pricing - Tamesider - 05 Dec 2016

(04 Dec 2016, 8:59 pm)Andreos1 £3.50 return Low Fell - Newcastle ANE. 
£3.90 for the equivalent GNE service. 
I would say passengers are paying for frequency, but even this morning there were 21's running in pairs.

It takes seconds to stick an update on social media. It takes away the reliance on the depot staff to add posters to vehicles too.

Not everyone is on social media!!! This comment is timely because a certain other company in GM seems to have withdrawn Bus Station supervision in the city centre, and on a least one occasion last week, passengers were left high and dry because the company stopped crossing the city on a route serving the region's biggest hospital, due to congestion. Understandably irate passengers, who had probably missed Outpatients appointments or visiting sick relatives, took their anger out on TFGM staff who knew nothing about what was going on. The bus company's attitude was that they informed passengers on Twitter.

Your reply has gone funny again.
Totally agree that not everyone has Twitter. A proportion of the customer base do though and I'm not sure having a proportion know about the changes, is worse than everyone waiting for posters to be displayed.

I have no idea why the decision was made like it was and passengers had no idea bus fares had increased. It's not acceptable at all. Passengers need to know well in advance and they should be informed by whatever means possible.

The train operators have notified their passengers in advance, via the media, social media etc. Possibly because they have to.
Maybe bus operators should be forced too.

Always an interesting read. Just search for 'pricing' to see OFT comments.

RE: Pricing - Tom - 05 Dec 2016

Seems GNE are freezing fares on routes where there are no competition.

Fares between Howdon and Newcastle on the 1/11 haven't gone up at all. Still £1.50/£2.40 in these areas (despite the fare finder showing £2.85 which is not correct at all). Wonder why...?

(05 Dec 2016, 6:43 pm)Tom Seems GNE are freezing fares on routes where there are no competition.

Fares between Howdon and Newcastle on the 1/11 haven't gone up at all. Still £1.50/£2.40
in these areas (despite the fare finder showing £2.85 which is not correct at all). Wonder why...?

How does that compare with the Metro?