North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Kuyoyo - 30 Jun 2017

As people are ranting about fare increases:

Arriva have now put the new paper timetables for the July changes out in the Travelshops (as well as the Frequenta 27/27a version ) in the new format. This is as a fold-out version of similar size to some of Go North East's. Timetables are on both sides (in similar format to Go North East's - one direction one side, return on the other). However, in place of the advertising banner on the opposite side to the front and rear cover, it instead advertises locations along the route (in terms of the X12) or handy connections to locations served by MAX and Sapphire. It additionally has fare information - single and return fares between major points as well as day and weekly prices. A A+ to Arriva in my opinion for that

RE: Pricing - S813 FVK - 30 Jun 2017

(30 Jun 2017, 10:35 am)idiot Another fare increase not advertised on buses or social media for GNE. Well I had enough change for £1.45 but not £1.50 bus driver wasn't happy with a £20 note but it's not my fault! Its the company!

I definitely saw a notice on buses that I have been on prior to the 28th which notified customers of the fare changes.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 30 Jun 2017

(30 Jun 2017, 12:56 pm)Kuyoyo As people are ranting about fare increases:

Arriva have now put the new paper timetables for the July changes out in the Travelshops (as well as the Frequenta 27/27a version ) in the new format. This is as a fold-out version of similar size to some of Go North East's. Timetables are on both sides (in similar format to Go North East's - one direction one side, return on the other). However, in place of the advertising banner on the opposite side to the front and rear cover, it instead advertises locations along the route (in terms of the X12) or handy connections to locations served by MAX and Sapphire. It additionally has fare information - single and return fares between major points as well as day and weekly prices. A A+ to Arriva in my opinion for that

Agreed. Good to see singles/returns on there.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 30 Jun 2017

(30 Jun 2017, 10:35 am)idiot Another fare increase not advertised on buses or social media for GNE. Well I had enough change for £1.45 but not £1.50 bus driver wasn't happy with a £20 note but it's not my fault! Its the company!

There were a few caught out yesterday and today, on the few buses that I have used. There were only two that had to pay with a note as an alternative. 

I don't doubt that the company have put posters up on the bus, but at the same time, I do think that they deliberately tart the whole affair up as much as possible. The image below is what was put on the bus, which is hardly informative to the customer, given the wide range of increases that appear to have occurred. 

.jpg
19691437_10156278733317195_736537889_n.jpg
Size 44.93 KB / Downloads 27

I appreciate that price increases, for any company, is a negative message to pass on to your customers. You're bound to get some flack for it - its inevitable. But I would be more annoyed about it being hidden from me. 

I believe these posters were the only format that the increases went out in. Not a single thing online or on social media about this, so its not an equality proof method for a start.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 01 Jul 2017

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/number-people-using-buses-lowest-10718818

Pricing being blamed as a factor in overall passenger numbers/journeys dropping.

RE: Pricing - Tamesider - 01 Jul 2017

(01 Jul 2017, 7:57 am)Andreos1 http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/number-people-using-buses-lowest-10718818

Pricing being blamed as a factor in overall passenger numbers/journeys dropping.

9.2% in 7 years! Is there a superfluous decimal point in there. Bus fares for single, essential journeys under 2.5 miles in GM have gone up more than three times inflation since De-reg. From the comment above about a £1.45 going to £1.50, I assume the same doesn't apply in the North East - despite my health problems, even I wouldn't catch a bus for less than half a mile.

RE: Pricing - Ambassador - 01 Jul 2017

It's gone from £2.85 to £3.00 for a single from Birtley to Newcastle.

No wonder usage is down, that fare is appallingly high. The unscrupulous way they've hidden the rise has been more disappointing. The vehicles they use on the 21 are getting worse, the service has been cut...for what?

Private companies are bringing little benefit to users but I imagine there's little appetite for higher taxes to support public ownership.

RE: Pricing - Tamesider - 01 Jul 2017

(01 Jul 2017, 7:47 pm)Ambassador It's gone from £2.85 to £3.00 for a single from Birtley to Newcastle.

No wonder usage is down, that fare is appallingly high.  The unscrupulous way they've  hidden the rise has been more disappointing. The vehicles they use on the 21 are getting worse, the service has been cut...for what?

Private companies are bringing little benefit to users but I imagine there's little appetite for higher taxes to support public ownership.

Eclipsed by events 5 miles from where I sit that night, the BBC Economics reporter from your neck of the woods (Steph something) made an absolutely priceless link, without the slightest sense of irony. She was chairing a debate outside Carlisle Rail Station on 22nd May, about Austerity, and how it had decimated Social Care and..yes.. rural bus services in Cumbria. At the end she referenced that now common phrase "Magic Money Tree", before saying "after the local news we will be talking to the producers of the Fifteen Billion Pound Railway". 

Just checked the equivalent journey to the above example (6.2 miles) on Stagecoach Manchester and the Single is £3.40. Note though, that £3.40 fare kicks in at single journeys of 4.01 miles.

RE: Pricing - Tom - 01 Jul 2017

Some of the fares are a disgrace in Stanley too...

For example
Burnopfield to Metrocentre (6 miles) - £4.40 single
Stanley to Metrocentre (8 miles) - £5.10
Consett to Stanley (7 miles) - £4.40
Pretty shocking fares as for example Hexham to Newcastle 23 miles or so is the same price as 8 miles from Stanley to
Metro centre.

And as well I only think the Buzzfare is a rip off for most people and the zones are pointless.

RE: Pricing - Ambassador - 01 Jul 2017

(01 Jul 2017, 9:27 pm)Tom Some of the fares are a disgrace in Stanley too...

For example
Pretty shocking fares as for example Hexham to Newcastle 23 miles or so is the same price as 8 miles from Stanley to
Metro centre.

And as well I only think the Buzzfare is a rip off for most people and the zones are pointless.

The difference being of course that Stanley is a monopoly and they can charge whatever the hell they want. A downside of private ownership. 

Buzzfare is a bit of a rip off as it's cynically designed to extract as much cash from you by clever zone placement. 

At least GNE are embracing contactless...You'll be needing a bank card to travel with them soon!

RE: Pricing - Tom - 01 Jul 2017

(01 Jul 2017, 9:42 pm)Ambassador The difference being of course that Stanley is a monopoly and they can charge whatever the hell they want. A downside of private ownership. 

Buzzfare is a bit of a rip off as it's cynically designed to extract as much cash from you by clever zone placement. 

At least GNE are embracing contactless...You'll be needing a bank card to travel with them soon!

Yeah exactly

And haha I'm glad I live in a area with competition and where the charge relitavely decent prices.

RE: Pricing - LeeCalder - 02 Jul 2017

£4.40 on the 28 from Ouston to Newcastle
£2.20 Ouston to Chester-le-Streeet on the 34!!!!!

Flippin heck!

RE: Pricing - GuyParkRoyal - 02 Jul 2017

Chester le Street Hermitage to Pity Me a 5 minuet journey on the Go North East X21 increased from £3.35 to £3.50 the second increase in a 7 month period. Operating costs could not have increased that much in 7 months. In my opinion this increase is an excuse to recover the revenue lost due to the loss of school and miscellaneous contracts as well as others entering Metro replacement work.

At least there is competition on the route (6 days a week) with Arriva offering a fare of £3 compared with GNE's £3.50.

RE: Pricing - Tamesider - 02 Jul 2017

(01 Jul 2017, 9:42 pm)Ambassador The difference being of course that Stanley is a monopoly and they can charge whatever the hell they want. A downside of private ownership. 

Ah! Contactless, M Tickets etc etc, the great saviour of the bus industry in speeding up journey times. Which is why nearly three months after Stagecoach followed First in penalising people without Smartphones/Internet banking, a gentleman boarded the bus I was on on Friday (mid) morning, that was already running 12 minutes late, and asked the driver sensible (if badly timed) questions such as; do I need an internet bank account to buy and use an M Ticket?

Still the whole exercise did help to prove that integration can work. I had a 4 minute connection on paper in Stockport Bus Station, and hey, ho, it was exactly 4 minutes in practice. The fact that both buses were exactly 17 (seventeen) minutes late is totally irrelevant lol.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 02 Jul 2017

(01 Jul 2017, 2:06 pm)Tamesider 9.2% in 7 years! Is there a superfluous decimal point in there. Bus fares for single, essential journeys under 2.5 miles in GM have gone up more than three times inflation since De-reg. From the comment above about a £1.45 going to £1.50, I assume the same doesn't apply in the North East - despite my health problems, even I wouldn't catch a bus for less than half a mile.

I wonder if it's an average.

I haven't used my 'beloved' 20 for a while now and since the recent changes to fares, I'm not sure I want to find out how much it has gone up!
I think it was in this thread (it may have been another), where I worked out the percentage increase over the last few years. 

To read on here that it has gone up again, may require me dig out a calculator again!

RE: Pricing - Charles41 - 02 Jul 2017

In low fell go ahead have a virtual monopoly. At one time we had direct buses to Darlington. Hartlepool and Stanley. We also had plenty of competition. We had shaws, OK travel, classic and low fell coaches. It currently costs two ten from shipcote to newcastle. As for routes its now a choice between the 21 and the 1.

So much for deregulation giving competition and choice.

Charles

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 02 Jul 2017

An example from my area is an important passenger flow between Stockton town centre & North Tees Hospital. Stagecoach's single fare is £2.20, with no return fare offered (Tripper £4.50 is their day ticket). They offer by far the most frequent service, with 11 buses an hour (soon to be 12). Arriva used to be £2.20 but may now be £2.30? A return was £3.80. Only an hourly service is offered (with a half hourly within walking distance). Stagecarriage offer a £1.80 single, with £3.50 return but again we only have an hourly service. It is interesting to see the difference over a short distance, but are people more bothered by frequency than cost?

RE: Pricing - callum2015 - 02 Jul 2017

(01 Jul 2017, 9:27 pm)Tom Some of the fares are a disgrace in Stanley too...

For example
Metro centre.

Compared to this,i think my local area (Huddersfield) seems to get very cheap fares! some examples from First are:

Huddersfield to Meltham (5.5 Miles) - £2.20 Single,£2.80 Return
Huddersfield to Bradford (Just under 14 Miles) - £2.80 Single,£4 Return

then over in Leeds,they also do quite well compared to NE

Short Hop (4 or less stops) £1.10 Single
Standard Journey (Within the Leeds boundry) £2.40 Single
Leeds to Bradford (about 11 Miles) £3 Single,£4 Return

Its quite surprising that for the price of a single from Stanley to Metrocentre on GNE,over here you could get a day ticket cheaper here (£4.80) valid from Greater Manchester (on 184 from Picc or 590 from Rochdale) or Burnley (592) across West Yorkshire & onto Parts of North Yorkshire (Skipton on X84)

It does not seem to have done first any harm either,as WY is their most profitable part of the England. Maybe time for the likes of GNE to catch on & lower the fares a little?

RE: Pricing - Tamesider - 02 Jul 2017

(01 Jul 2017, 2:06 pm)Tamesider 9.2% in 7 years! Is there a superfluous decimal point in there. Bus fares for single, essential journeys under 2.5 miles in GM have gone up more than three times inflation since De-reg. From the comment above about a £1.45 going to £1.50, I assume the same doesn't apply in the North East - despite my health problems, even I wouldn't catch a bus for less than half a mile.

Just to remind people of the history of competition in GM over the last 30+ years. With very few exceptions, competition has been low quality, based on new operators simply copying the routes of GMT's successors, running a few minutes in front on paper, but no schedules adhered to in practice. Worse still GMB (and its later North & South incarnations) were dragged into chasing these Operators around. So, for instance, you might have a service where GMB were registered at '00 & '30 past the hour; the newcomer would register at '27 & '57, but in practice both would run at around '25 & '55 thus leaving unsuspecting passengers regularly waiting 25+ minutes for a service that had 4 buses an hour advertised. Fare competition has been severely limited with minor savings compared to the incumbant, usually confined to parts of the route (away from captive market low car ownership housing estates) or specific passengers (eg. OAPs before  ENCTS). Many of these Operators were taken over or (eventually) shut down by TCs, with some Operators invloved in serious crimes not necessarily related to running buses (allegedly)!

RE: Pricing - mb134 - 02 Jul 2017

(01 Jul 2017, 7:47 pm)Ambassador It's gone from £2.85 to £3.00 for a single from Birtley to Newcastle.

No wonder usage is down, that fare is appallingly high.  The unscrupulous way they've  hidden the rise has been more disappointing. The vehicles they use on the 21 are getting worse, the service has been cut...for what?

That fare looks even worse when you consider that, for 80p more, GNE offer students unlimited travel all day across their network. Now, I'm not complaining about that (£3.80 is ridiculously cheap for a region wide day ticket), but it does make you wonder if they have their pricing strategy correct.