North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 03 Aug 2013

That'll be interesting. Forget advanced Chinese Arithmetic, I'm going to try to solve the enigmatic GNE faretable conundrum. It will make the Enigma machine look like a simple Wordsearch in comparison.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 03 Aug 2013

It could be something which is added to timetables.

Even if a fare increase clashes with a timetable change, the guidance they give about certain fare's increasing by 5p, others by 10p etc, shouldn't cause that many problems - as passengers 'should' know the new fare.

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 04 Aug 2013

Tyne and Wear PTE Fare Revisions Circa 1977

.jpg
1977 Fares.jpg
Size 707.12 KB / Downloads 37

The child fares are interesting. I always thought that Tyne and Wear had a flat child fare since 1974. It must have came in when the Metro was finally operational.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 04 Aug 2013

Yeah, same here - always thought there had been a flat childs fare.
Going back to the early 80s, I can remember handing over my 5p (or 10p if I needed a transfare)

Mind, that 30p Childs fare would have been quite an amount back to pay out back then.
Saying that, it could explain why people would ask for 'an adult and half to x'

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 04 Aug 2013

I particularly like this bit of the document.

THE NEW FARES
In recent years the Passenger Transport Executive has moved towards a uniform scale of fares for the whole of Tyne and Wear County. In this revision this process is completed, thus removing the anomaly whereby journeys of a similar length cost different amounts in different areas of the county. In some cases the more expensive fares are reduced or remain unchanged.

Now there's progression towards a simplified fare structure which a certain multi-coloured bus company could learn from.Wink

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 04 Aug 2013

Thanks for sharing. Hyperlinks are automatically created if something in a URL format is pasted into a post Smile

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 05 Aug 2013

Single from Durham to Barley Mow on the 21 is the same price as Durham to Newcastle. Bloke holding this bus up arguing about it. Big Grin

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 4:42 pm)aureolin Single from Durham to Barley Mow on the 21 is the same price as Durham to Newcastle. Bloke holding this bus up arguing about it. Big Grin

He has a valid point. Somebody on the bus should present the following hypothesis to the poor bus driver: if there is no difference between the fare from Durham to either Barley Mow and Newcastle, then, based on that premise, there should be no charge for travelling between Barley Mow and Newcastle.

RE: Pricing - citaro5284 - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 4:58 pm)AdamY
(05 Aug 2013, 4:42 pm)aureolin Single from Durham to Barley Mow on the 21 is the same price as Durham to Newcastle. Bloke holding this bus up arguing about it. Big Grin

He has a valid point. Somebody on the bus should present the following hypothesis to the poor bus driver: if there is no difference between the fare from Durham to either Barley Mow and Newcastle, then, based on that premise, there should be no charge for travelling between Barley Mow and Newcastle.

If I put a search into East Coast, it is the same price from Durham to London and Newcastle to London, so are you saying there should be no charge between Durham and Newcastle by train?

RE: Pricing - BJ10VUS - 05 Aug 2013

Heworth - Gateshead/Newcastle
27 - £1.95/£2.50
52 - £1.45/£1.95 ('Orbit Switcha')

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 05 Aug 2013

(05 Aug 2013, 5:06 pm)citaro5284
(05 Aug 2013, 4:58 pm)AdamY

If I put a search into East Coast, it is the same price from Durham to London and Newcastle to London, so are you saying there should be no charge between Durham and Newcastle by train?

I was being facetious. However....

The approximate length of the route which the 21 takes is 16.8 miles. The distance between Newcastle and Barley Mow is around 8.1 miles. This is just under half of the length of entire route. Is it really acceptable for passengers to be charged the same fare for travelling half the route as they would for the entire route? Or, to use the railway comparison, would you expect to pay the same fare from London to Doncaster as you would from London to Newcastle? If you lived in Donny, would you be happy about it?

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 07 Aug 2013

Interesting discussion on the GNE facebook page about fares between Houghton - Newcastle and Houghton - Galleries https://www.facebook.com/215880875709/timeline/story?ut=44&hash=6243849609816136553&wstart=0&wend=1378018799&pagefilter=2&ustart&_mn_=17&refid=17

Simplification eh?

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 09 Aug 2013

Just been into my local Travel Office this afternoon in Washington and I asked what is the cheapest option on a Weekly Pass to Sunderland using either Network One or The Key.

I was told Network One would cost £25.50 and The Key £23.50.

I then asked if the there was any weekly savers available on the Silver Arrows 2A/2C as that would be the services I would be using over the course of the week.

In the person replied yes, Washington Weekly Saver £11(I Think) and Sunderland Weekly Saver £11.40. Now here is where I am confused.

Why can I not purchase a Sunderland Weekly Saver on the 2A/2C when Washington is actually part of the City of Sunderland, surely Washington in that case shouldn't be classed as a Separate Area.

So therefore I have to than pay an Extra £12.10 per week, as the cheapest option which I purchased is a Red/Purple on The Key which think is a little overpriced.

I would of thought there would at least of been a ticket for the whole route although saying that, it is the same with other services come to think of it. e.g. M1 being s prime example, as I remember reading something a few weeks back about someone asking if there was Day/Week Savers available on the M1, Answer is yes and it's the same exact scenario as above.

I think GNE should look into this area as I do think it is rather Stupid not having a Day/Weekly Saver Ticket across the whole route, instead of part of the route due to the Zone System currently in place.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 09 Aug 2013

Can you not get the two week savers for £22.50?

I do see where you are coming from though with your other comments.

It seems strange South Shields, Murton, Seaham, Hetton and Houghton are all in the same 'red' zone, some classed as City of Sunderland, some not. However, not one of those places fall within the GNE Sunderland City Zone, with boundaries ending a long way short of those towns/villages.

RE: Pricing - stagecoachbusdepot - 09 Aug 2013

(09 Aug 2013, 3:50 pm)Adam Malarkey Just been into my local Travel Office this afternoon in Washington and I asked what is the cheapest option on a Weekly Pass to Sunderland using either Network One or The Key.

I then asked if the there was any weekly savers available on the Silver Arrows 2A/2C as that would be the services I would be using over the course of the week.

In the person replied yes, Washington Weekly Saver £11(I Think) and Sunderland Weekly Saver £11.40. Now here is where I am confused.

Why can I not purchase a Sunderland Weekly Saver on the 2A/2C when Washington is actually part of the City of Sunderland, surely Washington in that case shouldn't be classed as a Separate Area.

So therefore I have to than pay an Extra £12.10 per week, as the cheapest option which I purchased is a Red/Purple on The Key which think is a little overpriced.

I would of thought there would at least of been a ticket for the whole route although saying that, it is the same with other services come to think of it. e.g. M1 being s prime example, as I remember reading something a few weeks back about someone asking if there was Day/Week Savers available on the M1, Answer is yes and it's the same exact scenario as above.

I think GNE should look into this area as I do think it is rather Stupid not having a Day/Weekly Saver Ticket across the whole route, instead of part of the route due to the Zone System currently in place.

Cheapest option seems to be £11.40 (Sunderland weekly) plus £10.30 (Washington weekly) = £21.70 versus £23.50 2 zone buzz-far bought 'off the bus'. Fair comment that they should maybe look at a Route Saver for Silver Arrows (and probably several other routes). Have to say, I think its a bit of a stretch to expect GNE to include Washington in the Sunderland ticket, people would moan if they charged the same to Washington as for local hops in Sunderland. Plus Washington and Sunderland are in separate buzz fare zones, so would make no sense to include Washington in the Sunderland fare zone.

(09 Aug 2013, 4:59 pm)stagecoachbusdepot
(09 Aug 2013, 3:50 pm)Adam Malarkey Just been into my local Travel Office this afternoon in Washington and I asked what is the cheapest option on a Weekly Pass to Sunderland using either Network One or The Key.

Cheapest option seems to be £11.40 (Sunderland weekly) plus £10.30 (Washington weekly) = £21.70 versus £23.50 2 zone buzz-far bought 'off the bus'. Fair comment that they should maybe look at a Route Saver for Silver Arrows (and probably several other routes). Have to say, I think its a bit of a stretch to expect GNE to include Washington in the Sunderland ticket, people would moan if they charged the same to Washington as for local hops in Sunderland. Plus Washington and Sunderland are in separate buzz fare zones, so would make no sense to include Washington in the Sunderland fare zone.

I know they are two separate zones, but if you look at the Boundaries so i.e. Picktree is the Boundary for County Durham/City of Sunderland and Springwell for the Boundary for Gateshead. So surely in that case and the Zones are based on the Boundaries then Washington would come under the same Zone as Sunderland which is Red and Not Purple which is Gateshead/Newcastle.

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 09 Aug 2013

Conversely one might argue that GNE should move Washington into the red zone. As Adam points out, Washington is located within the City of Sunderland. As Washington is municipally linked with Sunderland Council who provide services for the town it would, therefore, make more sense to allow residents of Washington to participate in civic life, as defined by the boundaries of their local authority, without being prohibited by the cost of public transport.

According to Google Maps, Washington is located at a point equidistant of Sunderland and Gateshead so the argument about 'local hops' should also apply to residents of Gateshead: why should someone travelling daily between Whickham and Gateshead be charged the same weekly fare as people travelling across the local authority boundary to Washington? Either way, it isn't fair for someone.

RE: Pricing - stagecoachbusdepot - 09 Aug 2013

(09 Aug 2013, 5:33 pm)AdamY

Conversely one might argue that GNE should move Washington into the red zone. As Adam points out, Washington is located within the City of Sunderland. As Washington is municipally linked with Sunderland Council who provide services for the town it would, therefore, make more sense to allow residents of Washington to participate in civic life, as defined by the boundaries of their local authority, without being prohibited by the cost of public transport.

According to Google Maps, Washington is located at a point equidistant of Sunderland and Gateshead so the argument about 'local hops' should also apply to residents of Gateshead: why should someone travelling daily between Whickham and Gateshead be charged the same weekly fare as people travelling across the local authority boundary to Washington? Either way, it isn't fair for someone.

You could argue if you wanted to, but GNE aren't under any obligation and don't claim to cover a municipality per ticket. The 'Sunderland' ticket is clearly designed for use on Sunderland local services. The 'Washington' ticket is clearly designed for use on Washington services. Using your argument, there would only be one ticket for the whole of County Durham as that is a single local authority area too?

When I referred to local hops, I was talking about the Sunderland daysaver ticket and the Washington daysaver ticket, which are local tickets, and which Adam felt should be extended. Neither is valid in Whickham.

(09 Aug 2013, 6:13 pm)stagecoachbusdepot
(09 Aug 2013, 5:33 pm)AdamY

You could argue if you wanted to, but GNE aren't under any obligation and don't claim to cover a municipality per ticket. The 'Sunderland' ticket is clearly designed for use on Sunderland local services. The 'Washington' ticket is clearly designed for use on Washington services. Using your argument, there would only be one ticket for the whole of County Durham as that is a single local authority area too?

When I referred to local hops, I was talking about the Sunderland daysaver ticket and the Washington daysaver ticket, which are local tickets, and which Adam felt should be extended. Neither is valid in Whickham.

Yes I agree the tickets are designed clearly but they are clearly misleading as they clearly linked to the shoddy Zone System rather than giving the passengers a cost effective option across the whole route rather than part of the route as these Day/Weekly Savers would suggest hence why passengers are enticed to buy them.

And yes that would be correct using my Argument that County Durham would have it's own Ticket.

So for example for there specific Area:

Durham Saver
Sunderland Saver
Gateshead/Newcastle Saver

Then you could have linking zone savers i.e. Durham/Sunderland to cover Prince Bishops 20 or Sunderland/Gateshead&Newcastle for X3/X36 and 56.

So instead of having the System Zoned by Colour i.e. Red & Purple, it would be zoned by Area and there Actual Boundaries to then give passengers more value for Money.

RE: Pricing - citaro5284 - 09 Aug 2013

I have the answer....just don't buy one and just buy singles instead