North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 09 Aug 2013

(09 Aug 2013, 7:49 pm)citaro5284 I have the answer....just don't buy one and just buy singles instead

Thanks for that.... Rolleyes

In all seriousness though, just as many people are going to be miffed about Washington if it was in the red zone, as they are now that it's in the purple zone. I personally prefer it in the purple zone, as I've more desire to go to Newcastle or the Metro Centre than I have to Sunderland City Centre...

RE: Pricing - stagecoachbusdepot - 09 Aug 2013

(09 Aug 2013, 7:03 pm)Adam Malarkey
(09 Aug 2013, 6:13 pm)stagecoachbusdepot
(09 Aug 2013, 5:33 pm)AdamY
(09 Aug 2013, 4:59 pm)stagecoachbusdepot
(09 Aug 2013, 3:50 pm)Adam Malarkey Just been into my local Travel Office this afternoon in Washington and I asked what is the cheapest option on a Weekly Pass to Sunderland using either Network One or The Key.

I was told Network One would cost £25.50 and The Key £23.50.

I then asked if the there was any weekly savers available on the Silver Arrows 2A/2C as that would be the services I would be using over the course of the week.

In the person replied yes, Washington Weekly Saver £11(I Think) and Sunderland Weekly Saver £11.40. Now here is where I am confused.

Why can I not purchase a Sunderland Weekly Saver on the 2A/2C when Washington is actually part of the City of Sunderland, surely Washington in that case shouldn't be classed as a Separate Area.

So therefore I have to than pay an Extra £12.10 per week, as the cheapest option which I purchased is a Red/Purple on The Key which think is a little overpriced.

I would of thought there would at least of been a ticket for the whole route although saying that, it is the same with other services come to think of it. e.g. M1 being s prime example, as I remember reading something a few weeks back about someone asking if there was Day/Week Savers available on the M1, Answer is yes and it's the same exact scenario as above.

I think GNE should look into this area as I do think it is rather Stupid not having a Day/Weekly Saver Ticket across the whole route, instead of part of the route due to the Zone System currently in place.

Cheapest option seems to be £11.40 (Sunderland weekly) plus £10.30 (Washington weekly) = £21.70 versus £23.50 2 zone buzz-far bought 'off the bus'. Fair comment that they should maybe look at a Route Saver for Silver Arrows (and probably several other routes). Have to say, I think its a bit of a stretch to expect GNE to include Washington in the Sunderland ticket, people would moan if they charged the same to Washington as for local hops in Sunderland. Plus Washington and Sunderland are in separate buzz fare zones, so would make no sense to include Washington in the Sunderland fare zone.

Conversely one might argue that GNE should move Washington into the red zone. As Adam points out, Washington is located within the City of Sunderland. As Washington is municipally linked with Sunderland Council who provide services for the town it would, therefore, make more sense to allow residents of Washington to participate in civic life, as defined by the boundaries of their local authority, without being prohibited by the cost of public transport.

According to Google Maps, Washington is located at a point equidistant of Sunderland and Gateshead so the argument about 'local hops' should also apply to residents of Gateshead: why should someone travelling daily between Whickham and Gateshead be charged the same weekly fare as people travelling across the local authority boundary to Washington? Either way, it isn't fair for someone.

You could argue if you wanted to, but GNE aren't under any obligation and don't claim to cover a municipality per ticket. The 'Sunderland' ticket is clearly designed for use on Sunderland local services. The 'Washington' ticket is clearly designed for use on Washington services. Using your argument, there would only be one ticket for the whole of County Durham as that is a single local authority area too?

When I referred to local hops, I was talking about the Sunderland daysaver ticket and the Washington daysaver ticket, which are local tickets, and which Adam felt should be extended. Neither is valid in Whickham.

Yes I agree the tickets are designed clearly but they are clearly misleading as they clearly linked to the shoddy Zone System rather than giving the passengers a cost effective option across the whole route rather than part of the route as these Day/Weekly Savers would suggest hence why passengers are enticed to buy them.

And yes that would be correct using my Argument that County Durham would have it's own Ticket.

So for example for there specific Area:

Durham Saver
Sunderland Saver
Gateshead/Newcastle Saver

Then you could have linking zone savers i.e. Durham/Sunderland to cover Prince Bishops 20 or Sunderland/Gateshead&Newcastle for X3/X36 and 56.

So instead of having the System Zoned by Colour i.e. Red & Purple, it would be zoned by Area and there Actual Boundaries to then give passengers more value for Money.

How are they clearly misleading when the boundaries for each ticket are clearly stated? You seem to be conflating the Town & City daysavers, which are based on geography, and Routesavers, which are based on specific route(s).

If they made each 'area' have a separate ticket, then Gateshead and Newcastle would have to be separate, as they are separate areas. I don't think that would be too popular.

There are always going to be zone boundaries and associated issues unless you have a single flat price across the whole network, which is possible for geographically isolated operations like Stagecoach has in the North East, but is not feasible for GNE, assuming they want to avoid going bust. If they did do a County Durham saver that covered the whole county it would inevitably have to be significantly more expensive than the existing individual CLS, Consett, Durham city ones etc, which again would be far from popular.

Also, if they did move to local authority areas for their zones, then tickets still wouldn't be valid across a whole route - e.g. you'd need 3 zone tickets to travel the route of the 50.

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 09 Aug 2013

(09 Aug 2013, 7:49 pm)citaro5284 I have the answer....just don't buy one and just buy singles instead

That would cost more wouldn't it. I would still buy one if I was doing more than one journey during the day for example Lambton to Washington Galleries and back, then if I was go to Concord later in the day and then back.

Then it is cost effective to use one, but as for my example in my posts it isn't really cost effective as if you live in Washington you are forced to pay more as I have done today.

And no doubt this issue won't be sorted until Nexus takeover Services etc

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 09 Aug 2013

You mean they couldn't have a Tyne & Wear ticket or the Co Durham ticket?
Except they did... It was popular and then they decided to double the price when introducing these zones.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 09 Aug 2013

Another thing they used to do were A2B weekly and monthly tickets. There was quite a simple calculation to it, but there again, I don't think it'd agree with 'simplified fares'. Managed to dig some info out from the web archive:

If you regulary travel a short distance between two stops, one of which is outside Tyne & Wear, you could be saving money with an A2B Go'n'Save Bus Card. This gives you 7 or 28 days unlimited travel between your chosen two points on Go North East buses all day, every day.

A2B Go'n'Save Bus Cards are calculated using adult single fares and are available where this fare is 50p or above. For 7 days unlimited travel you pay 81/2 times your adult single fare, and for 28 days, 30 times this fare. to find out how much you could be saving, have a look at the table below

[Image: SEulbX8.gif]

RE: Pricing - Malarkey - 09 Aug 2013

Obviously Geographically GNE don't follow the zoning system do they as it is pretty much 1 mile between the Boundary for Gateshead at Springwell and Central Washington. Which would mean Washington would be Red not Purple as Stated before.

And I do think if the Day Savers were one Area i.e. Gateshead only then it would be popular as the Passenger would then have more choice of Services in that area. Rather than just on one route i.e. Citylink 58.

They could for example go from say Windy Nook to Gateshead Interchange on the 58 then to Team Valley on the 93/94, then later in the Day said passenger might go to a friends house in Low Fell.

So instead of say Purchasing a Citylink Saver or Loop Saver or a Purple Day Ticket in the current form, They could get a Gateshead Day Saver for Unlimited Travel in the Gateshead Area throughout the Day or Week for example and it would be the same for Sunderland and County Durham, and also there would be Linked Savers for say Sunderland/County Durham. The Ticket Pricing wouldn't change but the Zoning and an Increased choice of Services would be expanded.

RE: Pricing - gtom - 12 Aug 2013

GNE have introduced a Match-Day Key

The whistle’s about to blow to start another Premier League season and we’ve got a great deal for football fans to get you to and from the match by bus at a great value price.

Our Match day Key gives you unlimited bus travel on most Go North East buses for 25 individual days across the year for only £60 for an Adult or £30 for an Under 18 – potentially saving up to £130 for an Adult over a season !

Assume this is aimed at Northumberland/Durham based fans as Newcastle's Magpie Mover at £10 makes this look absolutely terrible value but compared to 18 returns (for a PL game from say Hexham, Durham etc) it's not too bad

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 12 Aug 2013

(12 Aug 2013, 8:09 pm)gtomlinson GNE have introduced a Match-Day Key

Assume this is aimed at Northumberland/Durham based fans as Newcastle's Magpie Mover at £10 makes this look absolutely terrible value but compared to 18 returns (for a PL game from say Hexham, Durham etc) it's not too bad

There's also the 'Wear On Our Way' ticket, which is priced at £20 a season.

Sunderland does have a massive following from County Durham - especially the East Durham areas, so I guess this would appeal to them.

(12 Aug 2013, 8:13 pm)aureolin There's also the 'Wear On Our Way' ticket, which is priced at £20 a season.

Wonder why the discrepancy between Magpie Mover and Wear on Our Way? Wonder if they sell more of the MM than the WOW

Magpie Mover at £10 (especially if you think of Europe last season) is an utter steal!

Magpie Mover Info

RE: Pricing - stagecoachbusdepot - 12 Aug 2013

(12 Aug 2013, 8:15 pm)gtomlinson Wonder why the discrepancy between Magpie Mover and Wear on Our Way? Wonder if they sell more of the MM than the WOW

Magpie Mover at £10 (especially if you think of Europe last season) is an utter steal!

Magpie Mover Info

I think at the time they were launched there was some debate about the price differential and it was said to be down to the level of subsidy from the respective football clubs. No idea how accurate that is though.

(12 Aug 2013, 8:19 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I think at the time they were launched there was some debate about the price differential and it was said to be down to the level of subsidy from the respective football clubs. No idea how accurate that is though.

I 'think' that Newcastle City Council may support Magpie Mover as part of its travel plan?

Maybe this Altoonative Travel

Ticketing Anomolies - MrFozz - 22 Aug 2013

I am not sure if the word Anomoly is right to describe this, but something I am wondering about...

Is there any anomolies in GNE tickets, I am thinking about the Zones mostly, what I want to know is there any examples where you may want to stay in one coloured zone, but have to change buses in another zone to get to where you want to be, the one which springs to mind is the Northumberland(Orange) Zone. Let's say a passenger is going from Hexham to Blyth which is in the same zone, would they have to buy a multi zone ticket or do GNE let those passengers by a one zone with a change at Newcastle?

Hope that makes sense

RE: Ticketing Anomolies - Dan - 22 Aug 2013

A customer wishing to travel from Hexham to Blyth would have to purchase a three zone ticket, as there is no direct service which stays within the orange zone.

Similarly, customers travelling on "Lime" 8 between Sunderland and Chester-le-Street have to purchase a three zone day ticket because the service calls at Washington.
"Lime" 78 does not, so you could get a two zone (red and green) on that one.
Confuses passengers on a daily basis.

I'm sure we touched on this somewhere else - perhaps in the pricing thread.

Re: Ticketing Anomolies - MrFozz - 22 Aug 2013

I should have searched for this before posting, I apologise...

You'd think GNE could come up with an idea for people who want to stay in one zone but travel through another by putting a ticket out for customers travelling through other zones to stay in there own zone i.e. Issue a Hexham passenger a ticket with the wording can be used in Newcastle on service XXX only

RE: Ticketing Anomolies - eezypeazy - 22 Aug 2013

You're right, Anomoly isn't the right word... Anomaly is the word you were looking for!

Re Hexham to Blyth (or, for that matter, Allenheads to Blyth): Wouldn't you think that, in the highly unlikely event that GNE were to operate an Allenheads - Hexham - Morpeth - Blyth direct service, they'd split the orange zone into three?

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 22 Aug 2013

(22 Aug 2013, 8:03 am)fozzovmurton I should have searched for this before posting, I apologise...

No worries! I've merged your thread into the pricing thread which is already quite active.

RE: Pricing - CatsFast101 - 23 Aug 2013

This is an issue which I've come into problems with before. One of my frustrations is the 260 East Durham route Peterlee-Durham it enters into three zones. The turquoise, red & green, however if your going from point to point which isn't exactly Un heard of you need three zones but it goes into red zone for literally five minutes, Easington Lane.
Another example I've come across is the lime 8/78, similarly to what Daniel said.. Lets take for instance your going to Chester-Sunderland then back, you could buy a Green & Red Zone Buzzfare on the 78, then knowing you can also use the 8 between them locations you attempt to board an 8 but are refused due to the fact the 8 enters into the purple zone. It's the same journey!
On flip side of the coin travel the entire route of the 35 (excl. the 35C) from Hetton-South Shields on a one zone Buzzfare! So a simple journey that takes less than an hour Peterlee to Durham costs £7.60, the same journeys Stanley/Chester-Sunderland could cost you £6.10 or £7.60 depending on which bus you get while you can go on a mammoth journey from Hetton-South Shields for only £4.65! Crazy, Crazy, Crazy!!

RE: Pricing - citaro5284 - 23 Aug 2013

(23 Aug 2013, 1:15 am)CatsFast101 Another example I've come across is the lime 8/78, similarly to what Daniel said.. Lets take for instance your going to Chester-Sunderland then back, you could buy a Green & Red Zone Buzzfare on the 78, then knowing you can also use the 8 between them locations you attempt to board an 8 but are refused due to the fact the 8 enters into the purple zone. It's the same journey!

It was the same years ago with Network Traveltickets. Gateshead to Metrocentre was 2 zones (25 and 26) if you caught the X66, but if you travelled on a bus that went via Lobley Hill for some reason you needed zone 35 on as well - so it is not something new (I worked in Travelshops in 1993). The amounts of arguments that we had with the customers was unbelievable as they had been charged to travel through zone 35.

RE: Pricing - eezypeazy - 23 Aug 2013

We really shouldn't get too hung up about this. There have always been fares anomalies and there always will be.

My favourite cereal bar costs £2.30 for five in the Co-Op. but exactly the same cereal bars cost a pound in Poundland. But do people go into the Co-Op and argue about it?

So a simple cereal bar costs 46p in one place but just 20p in another. But do we say "Crazy! Crazy! Crazy!"?

The truth is, everyone knows a bargain when they see one, and people are very good at getting the best possible value.

Anybody like to suggest where the cheapest fares in the North East are? I'd guess the best value is Stagecoach's day and weekly tickets...

RE: Pricing - Dan - 23 Aug 2013

I don't think we're pointing out the fact bus operators have evident price differences for what could potentially offer the same value (Co-Op vs Poundland argument is just the same as GNE vs SNE), but the fact that the pricing structure is just so strange and can be quite confusing if you aren't familiar with the operator.
As citaro5284 points out above, things have been confusing like this for over 20 years now. It is crazy that GNE haven't decided to make their fares a little more simplistic.