North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 08 Aug 2020

(08 Aug 2020, 12:13 am)James101 https://northeastbuses.co.uk/bygone/assets/GoNorthEast/X23BishopAucklandNewcastleFebruary2010.pdf
That's the one! 

Didn't think it would be on here

RE: Pricing - Rob44 - 14 Aug 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53761932

National express cutting fares using the bonus given to it by the government. Wonder if other companies will follow or just pass it on to shareholders here and abroad?

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 14 Aug 2020

(14 Aug 2020, 1:32 pm)Rob44 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53761932

National express cutting fares using the bonus given to it by the government. Wonder if other companies will follow or just pass it on to shareholders here and abroad?
I mean, I'd imagine they'd just use to it to start plugging the hole that COVID has left in the finances.
Don't forget they've been running at a loss for the best part of 5 months now. The money the government has given them so far hasn't even brought them to the break even point.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

RE: Pricing - Stanleyone - 23 Aug 2020

News should be posted on GNE fb page in the coming days, Tweaking of the Green zone to include Consett, savings for travelling to Stanley, Durham and Chester-le-street and introduction (or re-introduction) or weekly local savers for Consett, Stanley and Chester-le-street, other areas included. No mention of any fares going up.

RE: Pricing - citaro5284 - 28 Aug 2020

New, better than ever bus ticketing initiatives

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/new-better-ever-bus-ticketing-initiatives?fbclid=IwAR2tcVbkLq5ZgdawD8wNotzaKjsyTuVS2LqdpRbgJ3fUTasJdEzyF6R8wfM

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 28 Aug 2020

(28 Aug 2020, 10:00 am)citaro5284 New, better than ever bus ticketing initiatives

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/new-better-ever-bus-ticketing-initiatives?fbclid=IwAR2tcVbkLq5ZgdawD8wNotzaKjsyTuVS2LqdpRbgJ3fUTasJdEzyF6R8wfM

A Houghton zone?! *falls to the ground in shock*
One of the few areas never to have one... 

Keen to know the actual zone boundaries. Not showing on the website yet.

Pricing - streetdeckfan - 28 Aug 2020

New tickets are all well and good, but when am I going to be able to buy the 5-25 monthly ticket on The Key!

They seem to have all but abandoned it, but I'm willing to bet most regular travellers would prefer a physical card over an app.

I've been making use of the Flexi5 ticket recently and whenever I go out I'm scared to use my phone because if the battery dies, I can't get home!

They had young person tickets on The Key previously, they even had a 3 day equivalent of the Flexi5, so why is it such a big ask to have it now?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

RE: Pricing - Drifter60 - 28 Aug 2020

(28 Aug 2020, 10:14 am)Andreos1 A Houghton zone?! *falls to the ground in shock*
One of the few areas never to have one... 

Keen to know the actual zone boundaries. Not showing on the website yet.

Was going to ask the same question on the boundaries for the Durham & Houghton zones, Houghton could include everything from Easington Lane to Shiney Row? Durham one go as far as High Pittington to Sacriston? 
I noticed on the GNE app, the GoZone map lines appear to be a bit wrong, it looks as if half of Sherburn Hill is in the red zone when I’m pretty sure it’s Green, as GNE don’t operate any further than Sherburn Hill in that area. So there isn’t really a need for a red boundary in that area.

RE: Pricing - Michael - 30 Aug 2020

(28 Aug 2020, 10:00 am)citaro5284 New, better than ever bus ticketing initiatives

Does anyone know the boundaries of the new zone tickets?, no information on the site yet.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 30 Aug 2020

(30 Aug 2020, 5:03 pm)Michael Does anyone know the boundaries of the new zone tickets?, no information on the site yet.

The boundary points aren't available for any tickets afaik. I've asked for this before, but the response was that I should ask for specific services.

It would be really useful in terms of journey planning if the info was just available on the website. 

Looking at the Washington Saver zones for example, is the ticket valid to Usworth? Usworth is clearly part of Washington, yet the zone map would indicate it is not included in the Washington Saver ticket. Springwell village would be included in the saver zone based on the map outline, but there is no point to suggest that it might be. The final one would be Mount Pleasant, which is officially a Washington 'district', yet not indicating a boundary point towards that end of the map outline leaves it open to debate. ?‍♂️

More positively, these maps are great: https://images-gonortheast.passenger-website.com/2020-08/little%20coaster%20network%20map%20A4%20web.pdf
C
an we have more of them, preferably showing ticket boundaries too.

RE: Pricing - 6049 - 09 Sep 2020

(30 Aug 2020, 5:28 pm)Adrian The boundary points aren't available for any tickets afaik. I've asked for this before, but the response was that I should ask for specific services.

It would be really useful in terms of journey planning if the info was just available on the website. 

Looking at the Washington Saver zones for example, is the ticket valid to Usworth? Usworth is clearly part of Washington, yet the zone map would indicate it is not included in the Washington Saver ticket. Springwell village would be included in the saver zone based on the map outline, but there is no point to suggest that it might be. The final one would be Mount Pleasant, which is officially a Washington 'district', yet not indicating a boundary point towards that end of the map outline leaves it open to debate. ?‍

More positively, these maps are great: https://images-gonortheast.passenger-website.com/2020-08/little%20coaster%20network%20map%20A4%20web.pdf
C
an we have more of them, preferably showing ticket boundaries too.

Washington's boundaries are relatively well defined due to the services which operate through the boundaries however, I agree that that map doesn't illustrate it very well as it has been oversimplified. The A194 and A1 are the Northern and Western boundaries. Seven Houses/Waterview Park is the Eastern and the Southern is roughly a straight line between the roundabout at the bottom of Mount Pleasant across to the A1 at the County Durham/Tyne & Wear border. I have seen internal memos regarding the new zones, I assume that these will be released very shortly in a public friendly version (unless they have already and I've missed them).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 09 Sep 2020

(09 Sep 2020, 1:10 am)6049 Washington's boundaries are relatively well defined due to the services which operate through the boundaries however, I agree that that map doesn't illustrate it very well as it has been oversimplified. The A194 and A1 are the Northern and Western boundaries. Seven Houses/Waterview Park is the Eastern and the Southern is roughly a straight line between the roundabout at the bottom of Mount Pleasant across to the A1 at the County Durham/Tyne & Wear border. I have seen internal memos regarding the new zones, I assume that these will be released very shortly in a public friendly version (unless they have already and I've missed them).

That Mount Pleasant boundary is an interesting one.
Prior to the boundary, there's two stops in Mount Pleasant northbound.
There's a southbound Mount Pleasant stop beyond the boundary too. 

Wouldnt it have made sense to have either had the boundary at Fatfield Bridge and exclude Mount Pleasant all together or at the very least, extend it to the bottom of Lambton Terrace to include the three other stops?

RE: Pricing - 6049 - 09 Sep 2020

(09 Sep 2020, 7:48 am)Andreos1 That Mount Pleasant boundary is an interesting one.
Prior to the boundary, there's two stops in Mount Pleasant northbound.
There's a southbound Mount Pleasant stop beyond the boundary too. 

Wouldnt it have made sense to have either had the boundary at Fatfield Bridge and exclude Mount Pleasant all together or at the very least, extend it to the bottom of Lambton Terrace to include the three other stops?
There's two stops northbound, and two southbound. I wonder whether it may be something to do with the postcode. I don't know if I'm right but it may be that Mount Pleasant has a Washington postcode while Penshaw doesn't.

(09 Sep 2020, 9:31 am)6049 There's two stops northbound, and two southbound. I wonder whether it may be something to do with the postcode. I don't know if I'm right but it may be that Mount Pleasant has a Washington postcode while Penshaw doesn't.

Washington phone number, classed as district 14 back in the day, but it has a DH4 7xx postcode. Penshaw forms part of the address.
To slap a boundary through the middle of it, seems strange.

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 09 Sep 2020

(09 Sep 2020, 1:10 am)6049 Washington's boundaries are relatively well defined due to the services which operate through the boundaries however, I agree that that map doesn't illustrate it very well as it has been oversimplified. The A194 and A1 are the Northern and Western boundaries. Seven Houses/Waterview Park is the Eastern and the Southern is roughly a straight line between the roundabout at the bottom of Mount Pleasant across to the A1 at the County Durham/Tyne & Wear border. I have seen internal memos regarding the new zones, I assume that these will be released very shortly in a public friendly version (unless they have already and I've missed them).

It's interesting, because further to my original post, I noticed that the Go North East app has a different style map. This seems to show the boundary as Fatfield Bridge, which tbh I can see the logic in. I have just contacted GNE to ask the question though, and they've told me the boundary is Penshaw bank top - so I'm even more confused now  Big Grin

[Image: 2dfbefab43765a7cf7d665a24d4ecf31.jpg]

(09 Sep 2020, 10:46 am)Adrian It's interesting, because further to my original post, I noticed that the Go North East app has a different style map. This seems to show the boundary as Fatfield Bridge, which tbh I can see the logic in. I have just contacted GNE to ask the question though, and they've told me the boundary is Penshaw bank top - so I'm even more confused now  Big Grin

[Image: 2dfbefab43765a7cf7d665a24d4ecf31.jpg]

Both Fatfield Bridge and Penshaw Bank Top were fare stages back in the day if I remember right. It would make sense that one of them were used now, rather than a random roundabout in the middle of an estate.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 25 Oct 2020

I know it is very simplistic to say bus fares are expensive now and that they have risen well beyond the rate of inflation. Especially when you need to take in to account fuel costs, wage increases and other factors.

However, these two images really slam home how much fares have increased.

Anyone know how much the same journey costs on the 74 now?

RE: Pricing - Dan - 25 Oct 2020

(25 Oct 2020, 12:22 pm)Andreos1 I know it is very simplistic to say bus fares are expensive now and that they have risen well beyond the rate of inflation. Especially when you need to take in to account fuel costs, wage increases and other factors.

However, these two images really slam home how much fares have increased.

Anyone know how much the same journey costs on the 74 now?

Newcastle to Ponteland is £3.60 single on Go North East's 74 (day ticket £5.30), and £3.50 on Stagecoach's X78 (day ticket £4.70).

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 25 Oct 2020

(25 Oct 2020, 12:33 pm)Dan Newcastle to Ponteland is £3.60 single on Go North East's 74 (day ticket £5.30), and £3.50 on Stagecoach's X78 (day ticket £4.70).

Did you hear a big bang just now? Would have been in the distance. 
Anyway, it was my jaw hitting the floor in shock.

An increase of more than twice the rate of inflation!

RE: Pricing - OrangeArrow49 - 27 Oct 2020

(25 Oct 2020, 12:33 pm)Dan Newcastle to Ponteland is £3.60 single on Go North East's 74 (day ticket £5.30), and £3.50 on Stagecoach's X78 (day ticket £4.70).

How come Stagecoach's X78 is so much cheaper the Go North East's 74? 
Go North East's day ticket is worth more than Stagecoach's as Go North East operate across more of the North East, the single fare should be the same though? a cheaper day ticket for just between Newcastle and Ponteland would be useful too!