North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 23 Aug 2013

Unfortunately passengers very rarely have the choice of going to get the expensive bus or the cheap bus eezypeazy.
The retail world is full of competition, the bus world (particularly in the North East) isn't.

Apart from the Co-op and Poundland, you have other places where you can purchase your favourite cereal bars and at times, those cereal bars will be on offer, be put on promotion or be sold out.

Comparing one sector to another isn't the most convincing argument you have made, nor a relevant one, as Daniel said above, contributors are discussing the confusing nature of the pricing and zonal structure - not that one operator is cheaper than the other.

RE: Pricing - idiot - 23 Aug 2013

Years ago I used to go to Shiney Row College and got a 55-56-57 zone pass for free. One week I couldn't afford to upgrade it (beer and student night outs came first!)

My friend lived in Ryhope and I try to meet her on the #141 and got told at the point might of been Mcdonalds at the Toll Bar (memory a bit sketchy) and had to pay my fare.

Thing what used to annoy me is the #161 and #163 (especially the latter) was rammed and you often won't get on it.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 23 Aug 2013

Anyone else think that a standard fare system would be brilliant? An example shown here on Lothian Buses' website.

Lothian have AIRLINK 100. Go North East's alternative to exclude from this new system (it would never go ahead, but for the purpose of the argument) would be the likes of Tyne Tees Xpress, TEN, Angel (maybe?) etc.
Of course, arguments would arise to argue that TEN and the new X84/X85 should not be different. Wear Tees Xpress vs Tyne Tees Xpress. I guess that's why it can't really be done here because GNE has such a large network in comparison.

RE: Pricing - idiot - 23 Aug 2013

Is there many other operators that don't have change?! Imagine GNE did that - there FB page would be in uproar!

Whether it is a standard fare or a system, which is up front, honest, clear and easily understood - something needs doing.

The proposal that Nexus have put forward, falls into both of those categories.

The structure in Edinburgh is also good - particularly the day & night tickets, which will encourage passengers to use the night buses, rather than the system we have, which forces us to pay EXTRA above and beyond anything purchased already.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 23 Aug 2013

Customers are extremely discouraged to use Night Buses here. I can't help but feel that if more were introduced and cheaper fares that worked alongside day tickets, more people would be encouraged to use them - as opposed to the current extremely high single fares only, where a taxi alternative could potentially be cheaper if more than one person is travelling.
Of course running costs are higher because you'd have to pay the driver more, but GNE must realise that Night Buses are failing? They're slowly being withdrawn one by one...

I wonder if they have carried out a basic SWOT analysis of the Night Bus operations (or even their daytime services)?
They must have.... Surely?

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 23 Aug 2013

As noted in earlier posts, I'm very much in favour of a flat-fare system like the one Daniel has pointed to in Edinburgh or, to use another example London. I believe with an Oyster Card, the flat-fare is £1.40 in London with a daily cap of £4.40. For that you can travel on trams and buses comprising the entire area covered by TfL.

(23 Aug 2013, 8:54 am)AdamY As noted in earlier posts, I'm very much in favour of a flat-fare system like the one Daniel has pointed to in Edinburgh or, to use another example London. I believe with an Oyster Card, the flat-fare is £1.40 in London with a daily cap of £4.40. For that you can travel on trams and buses comprising the entire area covered by TfL.

Touching on the London thing, they have zones there, but it looks on the whole - to be a fair system.
The zones radiate out of the 'City', so the further you travel, the more you pay.
Chances are that there will be the odd anomaly, but it is set up in a clear manner, which visitors and residents can understand.

(23 Aug 2013, 9:00 am)Andreos1 Touching on the London thing, they have zones there, but it looks on the whole - to be a fair system.
The zones radiate out of the 'City', so the further you travel, the more you pay.
Chances are that there will be the odd anomaly, but it is set up in a clear manner, which visitors and residents can understand.

I spent quite a lot of time in London last summer travelling to The National Archives at Kew from a range of destinations such as Clapham, Gunnersbury, Ealing and Wimbledon. I have an Oyster Card and I found it extremely easy to understand and use.

Re: Wrestling - MrFozz - 23 Aug 2013

[Image: 1739.gif]

Looking at the zone map, the Cherry Zone(Derwentside Area) should be expanded to Hexham and Matfen, taking the Hexham and Corbridge area out of the Orange Area completely.

Would it not be better have a couple County Zones e.g

County Durham/South of Tyne(South side of the Tyne down to Teesside, across to Bishop Auckland),
North of Tyne/Northumberland(Newcastle, Hexham and stretching up to Blyth, with a
Regionwide Card covering everything

You mean like how it used to be....

I was trying to find a jpeg of how the zones were previously arranged. I thought I found something but it ended up being a link to a Facebook post by GNE about the revised buzz-fare zones after the Hexham depot purchase.

A poster from this site, who will remain anonymous for now, contributes quite a bit to the conservation from 2010. I think some of his point are still valid and relevant to the debate today...

https://www.facebook.com/simplyGNE/posts/416539660827

(23 Aug 2013, 9:34 pm)AdamY You mean like how it used to be....

I was trying to find a jpeg of how the zones were previously arranged. I thought I found something but it ended up being a link to a Facebook post by GNE about the revised buzz-fare zones after the Hexham depot purchase.

A poster from this site, who will remain anonymous for now, contributes quite a bit to the conservation from 2010. I think some of his point are still valid and relevant to the debate today...

https://www.facebook.com/simplyGNE/posts/416539660827

A certain person who still contributes, seems to like the fact the fares are increasing!

(23 Aug 2013, 9:45 pm)Andreos1 A certain person who still contributes, seems to like the fact the fares are increasing!

Yeah, I noticed that too.

There was this incarnation
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=78618&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1259858911

Just found this too http://web.archive.org/web/20040417211306/http://www.simplygo.com/ not taking you to correct link. It was A £3 ticket, that could only be bought in Washington, but enabled you travel to Newcastle and Sunderland and back (inc metro) for the day

Can't find the original Go n Save map though

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 24 Aug 2013

(23 Aug 2013, 9:45 pm)Andreos1 A certain person who still contributes, seems to like the fact the fares are increasing!

You expect price rises, but take 2012 for example. RPI/CPI vs Fare Increases in the same year. Funnily enough, those who can least afford it (Under 16s & Students) are hit the hardest.

RPI - 2.50%
CPI - 2.83%

BuzzFare
1 Zone tickets:
1 Day - 6.67%
1 Week - 6.86%
4 Weeks - 1.67%

2 Zone tickets:
1 Day - 6.78%
1 Week - 7.66%
4 Weeks - 3.85%

3 Zone+ tickets:
1 Day - 6.85%
1 Week - 7.36%
4 Weeks - 2.06%

Get Around
1 Day - 8.57%
1 Week - 6.71%
4 Weeks - 10.00%
16 Weeks - 9.98%

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 24 Aug 2013

(24 Aug 2013, 10:49 am)aureolin You expect price rises, but take 2012 for example. RPI/CPI vs Fare Increases in the same year. Funnily enough, those who can least afford it (Under 16s & Students) are hit the hardest.

RPI - 2.50%
CPI - 2.83%

BuzzFare
1 Zone tickets:
1 Day - 6.67%
1 Week - 6.86%
4 Weeks - 1.67%

2 Zone tickets:
1 Day - 6.78%
1 Week - 7.66%
4 Weeks - 3.85%

3 Zone+ tickets:
1 Day - 6.85%
1 Week - 7.36%
4 Weeks - 2.06%

Get Around
1 Day - 8.57%
1 Week - 6.71%
4 Weeks - 10.00%
16 Weeks - 9.98%

That is a massive increase.

Looking at the data on the website, fuel costs increased by 20% between the FY' 12 and FY' 13.
I can't find data for the increase between FY'11 and FY' 12. It should be available somewhere.

However the increase in fuel between 2012 and 2013, was tempered by the massive cost savings mentioned in another thread with insurance costs etc.

Between FY' 13 and FY' 14, fuel costs are increasing by approx 5%.

Their policy states that fuel is... 'fully hedged for the next financial year three months before the start of that year, at which point we aim to have also fixed at least 50% of the following year and 25% of the year after that. This hedging profile is then maintained on a quarterly basis.' quote from Go-ahead website.

Not sure which conclusion to look at.
Profits increased, fares increased, shareholder dividends increased, fuel costs increased, insurance dropped and services were consolidated, cut or reduced.

RE: Pricing - gtom - 24 Aug 2013

It's not just weekly/monthly tickets that increased either.

Most single fares (the infamous 5p rises) equate to a 3.7% rise and on some routes a 7% increase in fares

RE: Pricing - GuyParkRoyal - 25 Aug 2013

Just been planning a journey from Newcastle City Centre to Newcastle Airport and I was amazed at the price differences.
Nexus Metro £3.20 (someone travelling from South Hylton to The Airport would pay the same fare)
Stagecoach X77 £2.20
Go North East 74A £1.95
That makes Metro 64% more expensive than Go North East. If Nexus takes control of local buses no doubt my bargain £1.95 fare will increase to £3.20.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 25 Aug 2013

(25 Aug 2013, 12:29 pm)GuyParkRoyal Just been planning a journey from Newcastle City Centre to Newcastle Airport and I was amazed at the price differences.
Nexus Metro £3.20 (someone travelling from South Hylton to The Airport would pay the same fare)
Stagecoach X77 £2.20
Go North East 74A £1.95
That makes Metro 64% more expensive than Go North East. If Nexus takes control of local buses no doubt my bargain £1.95 fare will increase to £3.20.

What are the return prices like?