North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 27 Oct 2020

(27 Oct 2020, 2:53 pm)OrangeArrow49 How come Stagecoach's X78 is so much cheaper the Go North East's 74? 
Go North East's day ticket is worth more than Stagecoach's as Go North East operate across more of the North East, the single fare should be the same though? a cheaper day ticket for just between Newcastle and Ponteland would be useful too!

They're two completely different types of routes targeted at two completely different groups of people.

The X78 is an express service that only goes between Newcastle and Ponteland, whereas the 74 goes on the same distance again to Hexham. 
The X78 is half hourly, the 74 only runs 4 times a day.

While I haven't looked at the prices, going off other GNE services I'd guess there's not much difference in price between a single to Ponteland and a single to Hexham on the 74.

RE: Pricing - idiot - 19 Apr 2021

Having to get the bus to Springwell today as I need to get my stuff there for the week. I can cycle in for the rest of the week till my last day. I normally cycle all week but it's a hell of a climb into Springwell with all the luggage on the bike.

But yet again occasional users are penalised.
£6.70 for a return (to SoL) . Day ticket since I couldn't get two zones anymore was £7.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 19 Apr 2021

(19 Apr 2021, 7:23 am)idiot Having to get the bus to Springwell today as I need to get my stuff there for the week. I can cycle in for the rest of the week till my last day. I normally cycle all week but it's a hell of a climb into Springwell with all the luggage on the bike.

But yet again occasional users are penalised.
£6.70 for a return (to SoL) . Day ticket since I couldn't get two zones anymore was £7.

Springwell in Gateshead? Can't be Sunderland Springwell. Surely? 

I was unfortunate enough to need a purple Streetlite at the weekend.
£3.70 Houghton - Sunderland single.

RE: Pricing - idiot - 20 Apr 2021

Yes was Gateshead.

I cycled today and beat the bus timing by 14 mins. Boom!

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 20 Apr 2021

(20 Apr 2021, 11:26 am)idiot Yes was Gateshead.

I can achieve a similar timing to the bus when cycling from Rowlands Gill to Newcastle. Cycling back takes slightly longer though not by much.

When the bus can barely compete against a bike, it makes you wonder about how it can compete against bikes, e-bikes, e-scooters, and whatnot in the future?

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 20 Apr 2021

(20 Apr 2021, 1:03 pm)MurdnunoC I can achieve a similar timing to the bus when cycling from Rowlands Gill to Newcastle. Cycling back takes slightly longer though not by much.

When the bus can barely compete against a bike, it makes you wonder about how it can compete against bikes, e-bikes, e-scooters, and whatnot in the future?

For lazy sods like me, the bike could take half the time but I'd still take the bus. Plus, I'd rather not get killed!

RE: Pricing - MurdnunoC - 20 Apr 2021

(20 Apr 2021, 1:19 pm)streetdeckfan For lazy sods like me, the bike could take half the time but I'd still take the bus. Plus, I'd rather not get killed!

Must be a lot of murderers targeting cyclists around Bishop Auckland and South West Durham I presume

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 20 Apr 2021

(20 Apr 2021, 1:54 pm)MurdnunoC Must be a lot of murderers targeting cyclists around Bishop Auckland and South West Durham I presume
Have you seen the driving standards down here?
You'd be lucky to last 5 minutes on a bike

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

RE: Pricing - OrangeArrow49 - 20 Apr 2021

Can anybody tell me what tickets are valid on the GNE-operated Stagecoach dduplicates? They don't seem to be just scholars duplicate services.

RE: Pricing - NewcastleOne - 20 Apr 2021

(20 Apr 2021, 2:49 pm)OrangeArrow49 Can anybody tell me what tickets are valid on the GNE-operated Stagecoach dduplicates? They don't seem to be just scholars duplicate services.
As they are Stagecoach duplicates I will presume you need a Stagecoach ticket.
Also didn’t you just ask this?

RE: Pricing - OrangeArrow49 - 20 Apr 2021

(20 Apr 2021, 3:15 pm)NewcastleOne As they are Stagecoach duplicates I will presume you need a Stagecoach ticket.
Also didn’t you just ask this?

My apologies, I thought maybe this was a better thread for my question. I'm not sure if just anyone can board the duplicate services provided by GNE, but maybe a Stagecoach ticket would be valid for travel on them if so.

RE: Pricing - BFK - 20 Apr 2021

(20 Apr 2021, 2:49 pm)OrangeArrow49 Can anybody tell me what tickets are valid on the GNE-operated Stagecoach dduplicates? They don't seem to be just scholars duplicate services.

The GNE operated Stagecoach duplicates are Students/Scholars only.  No other passengers allowed on board.

Pricing - cbma06 - 20 Apr 2021

(20 Apr 2021, 3:25 pm)OrangeArrow49 My apologies, I thought maybe this was a better thread for my question. I'm not sure if just anyone can board the duplicate services provided by GNE, but maybe a Stagecoach ticket would be valid for travel on them if so.

Wasn’t it mentioned at the beginning when the dupes started, you have to board the service bus and pay and if the bus is full the service bus driver will tell the passenger to board the duplicate behind, you cant walk straight on the duplicate bus though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Pricing - morritt89 - 20 Apr 2021

With regards to the dupes (that I'm aware of) they are for school kids and to board, the passenger needs to board the service bus and buy a ticket then get off and get on the dupe service.

RE: Pricing - idiot - 20 Apr 2021

On way home I beat the bus by 24 mins. Shame I have to get the bus on Thursday.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 21 Apr 2021

(20 Apr 2021, 11:26 am)idiot Yes was Gateshead.

You following the same route or a different one?

RE: Pricing - idiot - 21 Apr 2021

Slightly different but not massively.

RE: Pricing - OrangeArrow49 - 17 May 2021

Stagecoach is now £4.70 for Tyne & Wear and £4.30 for Newcastle (including Wallsend and Metrocentre). Travelling across the rest of Tyne & Wear required a Day Rover. Durham and Northumberland requires an Explorer. Stagecoach haven't introduced any new tickets for years, and keep putting their fares up.

Go North East is £5.30 for the Purple GoZone covering Newcastle, Gateshead, North Tyneside, Cramlington, Ashington etc (with local tickets being even cheaper), or £7 for all GoZones (Tyne & Wear, Durham and Northumberland). 5 to 25 tickets and Flexi 5 tickets on the app offer alternative, cheaper options. Now there is also the £1 evening fare, another new ticket from GNE after the 5 to 25, and then 24 Hour and Flexi 5 tickets were introduced.

I think Stagecoach's fares are extortionate.

Better fares are needed for Durham and Northumberland for Arriva customers, and multi-operator customers (bus companies, Metro, ferry etc.) but GNE offers good value for money across Tyne & Wear, Durham and Northumberland if customers have the option to use only GNE buses, like I do.

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 17 May 2021

(17 May 2021, 11:28 pm)OrangeArrow49 Stagecoach is now £4.70 for Tyne & Wear and £4.30 for Newcastle (including Wallsend and Metrocentre). Travelling across the rest of Tyne & Wear required a Day Rover. Durham and Northumberland requires an Explorer. Stagecoach haven't introduced any new tickets for years, and keep putting their fares up.

Go North East is £5.30 for the Purple GoZone covering Newcastle, Gateshead, North Tyneside, Cramlington, Ashington etc (with local tickets being even cheaper), or £7 for all GoZones (Tyne & Wear, Durham and Northumberland). 5 to 25 tickets and Flexi 5 tickets on the app offer alternative, cheaper options. Now there is also the £1 evening fare, another new ticket from GNE after the 5 to 25, and then 24 Hour and Flexi 5 tickets were introduced.

I think Stagecoach's fares are extortionate.   

Better fares are needed for Durham and Northumberland for Arriva customers, and multi-operator customers (bus companies, Metro, ferry etc.) but GNE offers good value for money across Tyne & Wear, Durham and Northumberland if customers have the option to use only GNE buses, like I do.

I live on the very edge of GNE's area in Bishop, right in the middle of Arriva's territory, unless I want to travel somewhere along the X21, I have to use Arriva.

Honestly, even if they didn't introduce multi-operator tickets, but instead just kept the mutual ticket acceptance on common routes (like the GNE X21 and Arriva 6 which are pretty much duplicates from Durham to West Auckland), I'd be fine with it.
If GNE can't be arsed to run the X21 to West Auckland on evenings and Sundays, then I should at least be able to use my GNE ticket on the Arriva service!

There's all this talk about the Durham Smartzone ticket, but if the other SmartZone tickets are anything to go by, it's not going to be any use for me.

What I really want is a ticket that I can use in Tyne and Wear and County Durham, on any operator. I know there's the Explorer, but then I'm also paying to be able to go to Northumberland, Carlisle, and Scarborough, places I have no need to go.

RE: Pricing - OrangeArrow49 - 18 May 2021

(17 May 2021, 11:50 pm)streetdeckfan I live on the very edge of GNE's area in Bishop, right in the middle of Arriva's territory, unless I want to travel somewhere along the X21, I have to use Arriva.

Honestly, even if they didn't introduce multi-operator tickets, but instead just kept the mutual ticket acceptance on common routes (like the GNE X21 and Arriva 6 which are pretty much duplicates from Durham to West Auckland), I'd be fine with it.
If GNE can't be arsed to run the X21 to West Auckland on evenings and Sundays, then I should at least be able to use my GNE ticket on the Arriva service!

There's all this talk about the Durham Smartzone ticket, but if the other SmartZone tickets are anything to go by, it's not going to be any use for me.

What I really want is a ticket that I can use in Tyne and Wear and County Durham, on any operator. I know there's the Explorer, but then I'm also paying to be able to go to Northumberland, Carlisle, and Scarborough, places I have no need to go.

Well, I am fortunate to have a GNE service every day (albeit it further away on evenings and Sundays) to no longer require an expensive Stagecoach day ticket, or a multi-operator ticket. For a long time I was buying a multi-operator ticket, or before I knew better I was paying twice for two different tickets (Stagecoach and GNE). Even when I volunteer and get travel expenses back I get the cheapest ticket available, which is a GNE ticket! It was nearly two years ago I realised how bad value Stagecoach tickets are, likewise multi-operator tickets I realised I don't need by sticking with my favourite company, which by coincidence serves where I need and want to be! (Other than my street being Stagecoach, but hey walking is good exercise!).

Yes, the Smartzone isn't great. Fell into a trap getting a Newcastle SmartZone for the Great Exhibition of the North in 2018, ended up in Gateshead and then couldn't scan it to get back! They are only valid in one place, so Gateshead wasn't included, which I knew but stupidly forgot! 

Definitely, a ticket you can use in Tyne & Wear and County Durham is what is needed, and GNE offers that, plus Northumberland like the Expolorer, but GNE is cheaper than an Explorer. GNE is expensive in some ways, like just for Newcastle and Gateshead, Stagecoach is cheaper, to go to Wallsend or Sunderland, it's cheaper on Stagecoach. Just GNE offers freedom to go anywhere, for £5 a day with Flexi 5. £4.70 on Stagecoach gets you to Sunderland and Ponteland, Wallsend, South Tyneside, Metrocentre and Newcastle.

Never use Arriva, so not sure of their fares. Use Nexus services to avoid Stagecoach, not always the best value. Permanently staying away from Stagecoach, there is no way I'll board a Stagecoach bus again!