North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - mb134 - 23 Sep 2022

(23 Sep 2022, 8:03 pm)DeltaMan Which app is the best one to buy a Network one ticket? For example, can I scan a GNE and Arriva ticket in each other machine or do I need to show the driver. Is there much hassle at Metro barriers etc?

In my experience, as long as it's the right ticket, drivers from ANE and GNE are more than happy with Network One tickets bought on the other operators app. From memory the ticket type is clearer to the driver on the GNE app but it's marginal. 

GNE app will scan on GNE, show to driver on ANE. Ticket bought on ANE app will scan on ANE, show driver on GNE. I don't have much experience using the ANE app for Network One/Explorer tickets in T+W, but ANE drivers going into Northumberland might be a bit more cautious with checking the GNE app as lots of folk buy Network One Zone 1/2 and try to chance it so the drivers are quite hot on checking. If you're planning on going north it might be best to buy it on the Arriva app just to speed up boarding aside from anything else!

RE: Pricing - Storx - 23 Sep 2022

(23 Sep 2022, 8:33 pm)deanmachine If you want the least hassle, Nexus do a Pop card that you can get Network One on. Unfortunately I don't know the details on how to get it, but it works on all bus ticket machines and taps on the metro barriers too.

https://buyandapply.nexus.org.uk/ - That's where you can get the Pop Card btw.

I still don't get why Network One exists tbh and isn't merged with Pop, it just seems to make sense with the caps being the Network One fares. Better around for everyone similar to the Oyster capping.

RE: Pricing - Unber43 - 23 Sep 2022

(23 Sep 2022, 8:51 pm)Storx https://buyandapply.nexus.org.uk/ - That's where you can get the Pop Card btw.

I still don't get why Network One exists tbh and isn't merged with Pop, it just seems to make sense with the caps being the Network One fares. Better around for everyone similar to the Oyster capping.
Issue with Pop is that its only in Tyne & Wear (I think atleast). I don't think you can use them in County Durham. 

But tbf I haven't seen anyone use a pop card in years.

RE: Pricing - DeltaMan - 23 Sep 2022

This is the sort of thing Nexus should be leading on, not Network One. In West Yorkshire, West Midlands and Merseyside it's the transport body administering multi-operator rickets, making them easier to use.

Whereas here we have different apps, they don't scan on all the buses, you might get a funny look from the driver when you show it and good luck at a Metro barrier. Not very user friendly at all.

RE: Pricing - Unber43 - 23 Sep 2022

(23 Sep 2022, 9:09 pm)DeltaMan This is the sort of thing Nexus should be leading on, not Network One. In West Yorkshire, West Midlands and Merseyside it's the transport body administering multi-operator rickets, making them easier to use.

Whereas here we have different apps, they don't scan on all the buses, you might get a funny look from the driver when you show it and good luck at a Metro barrier. Not very user friendly at all.
But again Nexus is only Tyne & Wear. 

It would have to be a join operation between Nexus, Northumerland & County Durham & Teesside.

RE: Pricing - Storx - 23 Sep 2022

(23 Sep 2022, 9:09 pm)DeltaMan This is the sort of thing Nexus should be leading on, not Network One. In West Yorkshire, West Midlands and Merseyside it's the transport body administering multi-operator rickets, making them easier to use.

Yeah I totally agree, the whole system up here is just disjointed. Buses are also very expensive up here if you don't want to use the Metro either since you pay a premium for it on Network One.

(23 Sep 2022, 9:10 pm)Unber43 But again Nexus is only Tyne & Wear. 

It would have to be a join operation between Nexus, Northumerland & County Durham & Teesside.

Pop is the brand for NESTI (North East Smart Ticketing Initiative) which is supported by all the councils in the North East including I believe Tees Valley aswell (but I can't confirm that 100%).

https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/north-east-takes-step-forward-smart-card-plans - That's the initial launch of doing it and 13 years later it's nowhere near done. Pop PAYG can be used everywhere though but there's no capping etc so it's pointless outside the Metro.

RE: Pricing - DeltaMan - 24 Sep 2022

(23 Sep 2022, 9:19 pm)Storx Yeah I totally agree, the whole system up here is just disjointed. Buses are also very expensive up here if you don't want to use the Metro either since you pay a premium for it on Network One.

Pop is the brand for NESTI (North East Smart Ticketing Initiative) which is supported by all the councils in the North East including I believe Tees Valley aswell (but I can't confirm that 100%).

https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/north-east-takes-step-forward-smart-card-plans - That's the initial launch of doing it and 13 years later it's nowhere near done. Pop PAYG can be used everywhere though but there's no capping etc so it's pointless outside the Metro.
Well, if luck would have it, it appears NEXUS are doing something as this advert has popped up on the organisations vacancies page

https://www.northeastjobs.org.uk/job/_/232031

RE: Pricing - OrangeArrow49 - 25 Sep 2022

Could anyone help me please? Not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I need to find out what Arriva ticket is best for travelling between Newcastle and Morpeth. The X14 or X18 looks to be the best services to use. Do I just get a return? Maybe a Morpeth Routesaver? Possibly the Northumberland and Tyne & Wear day ticket? Arriva tickets are so confusing!

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 25 Sep 2022

(25 Sep 2022, 12:45 pm)OrangeArrow49 Could anyone help me please? Not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I need to find out what Arriva ticket is best for travelling between Newcastle and Morpeth. The X14 or X18 looks to be the best services to use. Do I just get a return? Maybe a Morpeth Routesaver? Possibly the Northumberland and Tyne & Wear day ticket? Arriva tickets are so confusing!

Seems like the best option would be the Morpeth Routesaver. Looking at Bustimes, it doesn't seem like they even offer a return, but a single is £5.60
https://bustimes.org/fares/datasets/1027?origin=16627&destination=16648

Arriva's route planner on the website is actually quite useful for working out their 10,000 different ticket options, it lets you know which zones your journey is in, assuming you know which route you're going to take

RE: Pricing - Kuyoyo - 25 Sep 2022

(25 Sep 2022, 1:11 pm)streetdeckfan Seems like the best option would be the Morpeth Routesaver. Looking at Bustimes, it doesn't seem like they even offer a return, but a single is £5.60
https://bustimes.org/fares/datasets/1027?origin=16627&destination=16648

Arriva's route planner on the website is actually quite useful for working out their 10,000 different ticket options, it lets you know which zones your journey is in, assuming you know which route you're going to take

During the fare revisions earlier this year, any return fares that were greater than the relevant day tickets were withdrawn - as the day ticket offers greater value even if only making a return between the two locations.
For example, a single fare between Middlesbrough and Darlington on the X66 is £5.70 - meaning a return would be higher than the £6.60 Tees Valley Day Ticket (likewise Stockton to Darlington is the same price). In contrast, there are return fares available on the X22 between Middlesbrough and Peterlee - as at £7.40, it's £1.20 cheaper than the Arriva North East Day Ticket at £8.60.
https://bustimes.org/fares/datasets/1069

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 25 Sep 2022

(25 Sep 2022, 1:35 pm)Kuyoyo During the fare revisions earlier this year, any return fares that were greater than the relevant day tickets were withdrawn - as the day ticket offers greater value even if only making a return between the two locations.
For example, a single fare between Middlesbrough and Darlington on the X66 is £5.70 - meaning a return would be higher than the £6.60 Tees Valley Day Ticket (likewise Stockton to Darlington is the same price). In contrast, there are return fares available on the X22 between Middlesbrough and Peterlee - as at £7.40, it's £1.20 cheaper than the Arriva North East Day Ticket at £8.60.
https://bustimes.org/fares/datasets/1069

Didn't GNE do something similar last year?

Although I think someone said they may have just capped the return at the price of a day ticket rather than removing the option, so depending on the driver they may still be offered the return despite the day ticket being the same price

RE: Pricing - omnicity4659 - 25 Sep 2022

(25 Sep 2022, 12:45 pm)OrangeArrow49 Could anyone help me please? Not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

Yes, your best option is the Morpeth Routesaver (valid on any Newcastle to Morpeth service and all buses in the 'Morpeth' Saver zone), and the fastest routes are the X14, X15 and X18.

If you're using an Arriva bus to get to the Haymarket to board a Morpeth service, then you should get a Morpeth+Tyne & Wear Saver.

RE: Pricing - BusLoverMum - 25 Sep 2022

(23 Sep 2022, 8:30 pm)Storx I don't know if you live near a Metro Station but personally I'd get a physical ticket. Bus drivers aren't friendly at using each other's tickets from experience and at least you can get through the Metro barriers without hassle.

Can't comment on scanning the Network One tickets but Explorer tickets don't work between Arriva and GNE and quite often you get snotty drivers, 'Can't use this on here, this is an Arriva bus' or vice versa or idiots who just argue you can't use it at all.
You need to perfect The Look. Admittedly it helps to have a resting bitch face but once mastered, The Look will prompt a driver, of any denomination, to scroll through their ticket machine until they concede that oh, of course, they can issue explorers, too.

RE: Pricing - Storx - 26 Sep 2022

(25 Sep 2022, 10:16 pm)BusLoverMum You need to perfect The Look. Admittedly it helps to have a resting bitch face but once mastered, The Look will prompt a driver, of any denomination, to scroll through their ticket machine until they concede that oh, of course, they can issue explorers, too.

That made me laugh but it's true, I've just learnt how to issue them now. The biggest nightmare is trying to get a Blyth and T&W ticket in Birtley or vice versa trying to explain a ticket that's valid in Tyne and Wear is weirdly valid in Tyne and Wear ??‍♂️

RE: Pricing - tcts24 - 26 Sep 2022

I get a lot of people using Teesside Trippers in Hartlepool (not valid) but I can't be arsed with the arguments so I accept them anyway. Always stand my ground with Arriva East Durham tickets though. Your not getting on my bus with one of those.

RE: Pricing - Rob44 - 27 Sep 2022

(26 Sep 2022, 10:11 am)Storx That made me laugh but it's true, I've just learnt how to issue them now. The biggest nightmare is trying to get a Blyth and T&W ticket in Birtley or vice versa trying to explain a ticket that's valid in Tyne and Wear is weirdly valid in Tyne and Wear ??‍♂️

Ive had this before when going to hazlerigg from low fell. Asked the x12 driver for a tyne and wear day ticket and he looked like he was in a trance! No idea what i ment. got there eventually though

(26 Sep 2022, 11:06 am)tcts24 I get a lot of people using Teesside Trippers in Hartlepool (not valid) but I can't be arsed with the arguments so I accept them anyway. Always stand my ground with Arriva East Durham tickets though. Your not getting on my bus with one of those.

Im sure people are buying thr £2 ticket to gateshead on the buses i use anddont get off till newcastle.,

RE: Pricing - tcts24 - 27 Sep 2022

(27 Sep 2022, 10:33 am)Rob44 Ive had this before when going to hazlerigg from low fell. Asked the x21 driver for a tyne and wear day ticket and he looked like he was in a trance! No idea what i ment. got there eventually though

Im sure people are buying thr £2 ticket to gateshead on the buses i use anddont get off till newcastle.,
Things like that happen all the time and I guess £2 revenue is better than none. My policy is once your on, your on. I don't get paid enough to deal with the hassle of remembering where people get on and how far they've paid. Having the flat £1.90 fare though is great for that so the fare stages really only apply on route 1 for us and I rarely drive that route.

RE: Pricing - Rob44 - 27 Sep 2022

(27 Sep 2022, 12:33 pm)tcts24 Things like that happen all the time and I guess £2 revenue is better than none. My policy is once your on, your on. I don't get paid enough to deal with the hassle of remembering where people get on and how far they've paid. Having the flat £1.90 fare though is great for that so the fare stages really only apply on route 1 for us and I rarely drive that route.

very true. Driver have nor than enough to do that look out for people traveling further than they've paid for.  That's  the inspectors are for..... and i remember the last time i saw one was on the 44 to hazlrigg back in april 2017.  He was more interested in checking concessionary pass holders photos than bus tickets!

RE: Pricing - OrangeArrow49 - 30 Sep 2022

(25 Sep 2022, 2:00 pm)omnicity4659 Yes, your best option is the Morpeth Routesaver (valid on any Newcastle to Morpeth service and all buses in the 'Morpeth' Saver zone), and the fastest routes are the X14, X15 and X18.

If you're using an Arriva bus to get to the Haymarket to board a Morpeth service, then you should get a Morpeth+Tyne & Wear Saver.

According to Arriva's website the Morpeth+Tyne & Wear Saver is a student ticket. Probably just get the Morpeth Routesaver (£6.80?) and get a separate ticket between Haymarket and home.

RE: Pricing - Storx - 01 Oct 2022

(30 Sep 2022, 9:09 pm)OrangeArrow49 According to Arriva's website the Morpeth+Tyne & Wear Saver is a student ticket. Probably just get the Morpeth Routesaver (£6.80?) and get a separate ticket between Haymarket and home.

There should be an adult version, not sure why it's not showing. If you can't get that personally I'd get an all zone triple ticket or whatever they're called nowadays, it's called Northumberland + T&W on the website for £7.60