North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - OrangeArrow49 - 01 Oct 2022

(01 Oct 2022, 6:33 am)Storx There should be an adult version, not sure why it's not showing. If you can't get that personally I'd get an all zone triple ticket or whatever they're called nowadays, it's called Northumberland + T&W on the website for £7.60

The Morpeth Routesaver for £6.20 should be fine. I need the cheapest option as it's for work, so can get a separate ticket between home and the Haymarket and just get reimbursed for the Morpeth Routesaver.

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 01 Oct 2022

(01 Oct 2022, 1:00 pm)OrangeArrow49 The Morpeth Routesaver for £6.20 should be fine. I need the cheapest option as it's for work, so can get a separate ticket between home and the Haymarket and just get reimbursed for the Morpeth Routesaver.

Surely that's the wrong way of thinking, if work are paying go for an All Zone! That's what I always do!

RE: Pricing - Ambassador - 04 Oct 2022

I was just looking at the Magpie Mover and what fantastic value that is.

3 hours before a game to last service on the day of the game - over the 19 games (minimum) thats £1.31

Throw in 2 home cup games and there's £1.19 per game.

I know its heavily subsidised but its one of the few schemes that seems to offer genuine value for money and encourage public transport use.

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 27 Oct 2022

How accurate is the fare finder on Bus Times?

I was just checking to see how much a return was to get to Crook as I usually just get a day ticket, and apparently a return ticket is 10p cheaper than the single ticket. Am I just being dumb?

https://bustimes.org/fares/datasets/1069?origin=31842&destination=31882

Arriva Durham 1DX1 Inbound - AD RTN fares: £4.70
Arriva Durham 1DX1 Inbound - AD SGL fares: £4.80

RE: Pricing - busmanT - 27 Oct 2022

(27 Oct 2022, 8:00 am)streetdeckfan How accurate is the fare finder on Bus Times?

I was just checking to see how much a return was to get to Crook as I usually just get a day ticket, and apparently a return ticket is 10p cheaper than the single ticket. Am I just being dumb?

It's what the operator has uploaded to the bus open data service!

RE: Pricing - Storx - 27 Oct 2022

(27 Oct 2022, 8:00 am)streetdeckfan How accurate is the fare finder on Bus Times?

Not a mistake, the return is being capped by - https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/buy-tickets/region/north-east/zone/ane012

(27 Oct 2022, 8:31 am)Storx Not a mistake, the return is being capped by - https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/buy-tickets/region/north-east/zone/ane012

I'm tempted to ask to buy a single and see if they tell me it's cheaper to get a return. I guarantee they won't!

RE: Pricing - Storx - 27 Oct 2022

(27 Oct 2022, 9:45 am)streetdeckfan I'm tempted to ask to buy a single and see if they tell me it's cheaper to get a return. I guarantee they won't!

ngl it's a rip off £4.80 mind, I thought £4.20 or whatever it is from here to Newcastle was bad and it's much longer.

Seems like the old bands here which they finally scrapped a few year back after people kept moaning at them.

(27 Oct 2022, 11:07 am)Storx ngl it's a rip off £4.80 mind, I thought £4.20 or whatever it is from here to Newcastle was bad and it's much longer.

Seems like the old bands here which they finally scrapped a few year back after people kept moaning at them.

Oh, I'd have no intention of buying it! I'd just get my usual day ticket after telling them it's a rip off!

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 17 Nov 2022

Does the old 'trick' of using a return ticket as a 'day ticket' still work?

I need to pop out and on my way back stop off somewhere to pick up a parcel, and IMO that's not worthy of spending double on a day ticket given I'd be jumping on the next bus.

I know it's technically a bit naughty, but morally I shouldn't have to pay any extra for the same distance!

RE: Pricing - Thomas12 - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 9:53 am)streetdeckfan Does the old 'trick' of using a return ticket as a 'day ticket' still work?

I need to pop out and on my way back stop off somewhere to pick up a parcel, and IMO that's not worthy of spending double on a day ticket given I'd be jumping on the next bus.

I know it's technically a bit naughty, but morally I shouldn't have to pay any extra for the same distance!

I don’t think so as I’m sure the machine won’t accept the QR code after it’s been used once.

RE: Pricing - Unber43 - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 10:17 am)Thomas12 I don’t think so as I’m sure the machine won’t accept the QR code after it’s been used once.
You could argue with the driver saying you've never used it, so they might just let you on. 

What happens say you got a return from Durham to Chester-Le-Street Black Horse, but then on your return got on at CLS Front Street, would the ticket machine let you on or not?

(17 Nov 2022, 10:17 am)Thomas12 I don’t think so as I’m sure the machine won’t accept the QR code after it’s been used once.

In the past (a year or two back), there was no way for the machines to verify how many times the tickets had been used, and it was very common for people to just buy a return and use it as a day ticket.

That's why they (allegedly) removed the QR codes from the return tickets for a while, but added them back to speed up boarding.

I think MG said something along the lines that it was worth the risk of people abusing the system.

(17 Nov 2022, 10:29 am)Unber43 You could argue with the driver saying you've never used it, so they might just let you on. 

What happens say you got a return from Durham to Chester-Le-Street Black Horse, but then on your return got on at CLS Front Street, would the ticket machine let you on or not?

With Arriva I often get a return to Bishop Bus Station, then get back on at Market Place after many a spoons coffee, which I believe is an extra fare stage and it still works.

RE: Pricing - omnicity4659 - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 10:38 am)streetdeckfan In the past (a year or two back), there was no way for the machines to verify how many times the tickets had been used, and it was very common for people to just buy a return and use it as a day ticket.

That's why they (allegedly) removed the QR codes from the return tickets for a while, but added them back to speed up boarding.

I think MG said something along the lines that it was worth the risk of people abusing the system.

With Arriva I often get a return to Bishop Bus Station, then get back on at Market Place after many a spoons coffee, which I believe is an extra fare stage and it still works.

I think most of your savings would be made from twocking a Spoons mug...now they've gone up from 99p to £1.35  Big Grin

(17 Nov 2022, 11:00 am)omnicity4659 I think most of your savings would be made from twocking a Spoons mug...now they've gone up from 99p to £1.35  Big Grin

Absolutely ridiculous that, I was fuming when I went in the other day!

I often wonder if they'd notice, or care, if I just took the mug home and just kept coming back in and using it!

To be fair though, £1.35 is still a good price considering I usually have at least 6 coffees while I'm there, and their machines actually make a half decent coffee, especially the mocha! Even the decaf stuff is drinkable unlike some proper coffee shops!

RE: Pricing - Retro Nero - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 9:53 am)streetdeckfan Does the old 'trick' of using a return ticket as a 'day ticket' still work?

You don't save much when purchasing a return rather than a Day ticket , and 9 times out 10 , people always want to use it more than once when returning

(17 Nov 2022, 11:52 am)Retro Nero You don't save much when purchasing a return rather than a Day ticket , and 9 times out 10 , people always want to use it more than once when returning

£2.50 return or £4.70 for the Bishop day ticket, quite a price difference.
In fact, even buying 3 singles would be cheaper than the day ticket!

RE: Pricing - Retro Nero - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 2:04 pm)streetdeckfan £2.50 return or £4.70 for the Bishop day ticket, quite a price difference.
In fact, even buying 3 singles would be cheaper than the day ticket!
People will go for the cheaper option of £2:50 return, and try and use it all day . This happens regular

(17 Nov 2022, 2:52 pm)Retro Nero People will go for the cheaper option of £2:50 return, and try and use it all day . This happens regular

But does it still work? I know in the past the machines would just accept it

RE: Pricing - Rob44 - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 3:41 pm)streetdeckfan But does it still work? I know in the past the machines would just accept it

what happens if an inspector get on though????