North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

Pricing - Dan - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 3:41 pm)streetdeckfan But does it still work? I know in the past the machines would just accept it

No, a patch went in about a year ago to stop this from working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 3:46 pm)Rob44 what happens if an inspector get on though????

Blimey, I don't think I'm old enough to remember those!

RE: Pricing - Retro Nero - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 4:05 pm)streetdeckfan Blimey, I don't think I'm old enough to remember those!
If they do..... which is rare ,they have a hand held reader that reads QR codes , key cards and Apps

RE: Pricing - Unber43 - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 6:35 pm)Retro Nero If they do..... which is rare ,they have a hand held reader that reads QR codes , key cards and Apps
The only people ive seen is Nexus people asking where you're travelling too.

I haven't seen an inspector since 2018/9 and thats at a push, but the amount of fines they would give out im surprised GNE dont send them out often due to the amount of people who put their tickets straight in the bin

RE: Pricing - Ambassador - 17 Nov 2022

The whole zonal fare stage thing really should be scrapped particularly when you have saver tickets that make a mockery out of it.

Low Fell Cannon to Dryden Road is £2.30
Birtley Barley Mow to Dryden Road is…£2.30

If i wanted to continue to Gateshead international bus wonderland…it’s £2.30

If I wanted to do something adventurous like get my passport out and cross the Tyne whilst admiring Martin Gannons ongoing effort to ruin Gateshead it shoots up to £3.80. Now what does this extortionate £1.50 cover? The cost of border control checks on John Dobson street? The upcoming clean air my euro 342 bus doesn’t have to pay? A sightseeing fee to admire the peeling paint of the Tyne Bridge?

(17 Nov 2022, 10:02 pm)Ambassador The whole zonal fare stage thing really should be scrapped particularly when you have saver tickets that make a mockery out of it.

Low Fell Cannon to Dryden Road is £2.30
Birtley Barley Mow to Dryden Road is…£2.30

If i wanted to continue to Gateshead international bus wonderland…it’s £2.30

If I wanted to do something adventurous like get my passport out and cross the Tyne whilst admiring Martin Gannons ongoing effort to ruin Gateshead it shoots up to £3.80. Now what does this extortionate £1.50 cover? The cost of border control checks on John Dobson street? The upcoming clean air my euro 342 bus doesn’t have to pay? A sightseeing fee to admire the peeling paint of the Tyne Bridge?

I was just having a look at the fares on Bus Times and seemingly West Auckland to Chester le Street (20 miles) is only £2.60, unless I've done something wrong.

Is that the cheapest journey per mile on the network?

RE: Pricing - Thomas12 - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 10:26 pm)streetdeckfan I was just having a look at the fares on Bus Times and seemingly West Auckland to Chester le Street (20 miles) is only £2.60, unless I've done something wrong.

Is that the cheapest journey per mile on the network?

yes you’re right, any journey wholly in County Durham is £2.60 (maximum).

I suppose its so easy to get away with buying a ticket say on X21 West Aukland to CLS for £2.60, then just stay on till Newcastle, then on the way home pay £1.50 to Gateshead then stay on.

I've don't think i've recalled anyone do it as ive seen a large influx in people using the app or paper barcode tickets. There was one time I was on X21 and this women got on at Gateshead and at Low Fell he stopped the bus and came upstairs and told this women that her ticket was only vaild to here, she got off (i think), is there any way to tell, as i've only seen this once.

RE: Pricing - Ambassador - 17 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 10:39 pm)Thomas12 yes you’re right, any journey wholly in County Durham is £2.60 (maximum).

Dear god, the saver fares really are an awful idea of our dearly departed MG when you dig into into it. 

I’d imagine in GNE land the vast majority of passengers cross a boundary at some point whether flowing into Newcastle or Sunderland or Durham. The smaller local point to point will be twirlys who don’t care as it’s free. 

I miss the old buzzfares and the deadly ticket machine that used to near on take your hand off when you fed the ticket in.

Turns out West Auckland to Chester Le Street isn't the cheapest per mile, going off the shortest driving distance according to Google anyway. I can't be arsed to put the exact bus route into maps to figure it out!

West Auckland to Chester Le Street - 19.5 miles - £2.60 - 13.33p per mile
Ashington to North Shields Ferry - 17.3 miles - £2.30 - 13.29p per mile

To match that, you'd have to fill up with petrol at Costco and average 53mpg

Do we have any other takers for cheapest journey per mile?

I'd also be interesting to see what the most expensive journey per mile is, if anyone has any suggestions for that.

(17 Nov 2022, 10:55 pm)streetdeckfan Turns out West Auckland to Chester Le Street isn't the cheapest per mile, going off the shortest driving distance according to Google anyway. I can't be arsed to put the exact bus route into maps to figure it out!

I'd also be interesting to see what the most expensive journey per mile is, if anyone has any suggestions for that.

I think Ouston to Kibblesworth must be up there for the most expensive - £3.80 for a 2 mile journey on the 29.

(17 Nov 2022, 11:10 pm)Thomas12 I think Ouston to Kibblesworth must be up there for the most expensive - £3.80 for a 2 mile journey on the 29.
So anything over £1.75 a mile would beat that, 

56 Park Lane to Fawcett Street less than a mile £2.

I wonder how much it is from High Level Bridge north to Wellington Street, that's only 600m and it crosses the Tyne

(17 Nov 2022, 11:19 pm)streetdeckfan I wonder how much it is from High Level Bridge north to Wellington Street, that's only 600m and it crosses the Tyne
£1.90!

RE: Pricing - omnicity4659 - 18 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 10:55 pm)streetdeckfan Turns out West Auckland to Chester Le Street isn't the cheapest per mile, going off the shortest driving distance according to Google anyway. I can't be arsed to put the exact bus route into maps to figure it out!

No wonder the Ashington leg was dropped if that's how much it was? I'm sure Arriva charges more for Ashington to Bedlington/Cramlington!

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 18 Nov 2022

*raises hand*

We've got an MPV and SUV. The SUV gets nowhere near that. The MPV often exceeds it.

And its Costco diesel that we use.

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 18 Nov 2022

My mother has an SUV that manages a whopping 30mpg, but she also has a Smart car that averages 55mpg that she bought just to go to work and back.

Given the choice, I'd obviously pick taking the big car if we go up to Newcastle because it can happily sit at *the speed limit* all day, and the Smart car can't!

We also have a diesel Smart car that can do like 80mpg but I need to get round to fixing the slight issue with the turbo deciding it doesn't want to boost!

The funny thing is, the fuel at Costco is basically what we pay down here normally, so we only fill up there when we're up. It's an excuse for a hotdog, pizza and/or chicken bake.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 18 Nov 2022

(18 Nov 2022, 3:24 pm)streetdeckfan My mother has an SUV that manages a whopping 30mpg, but she also has a Smart car that averages 55mpg that she bought just to go to work and back.

Given the choice, I'd obviously pick taking the big car if we go up to Newcastle because it can happily sit at *the speed limit* all day, and the Smart car can't!

We also have a diesel Smart car that can do like 80mpg but I need to get round to fixing the slight issue with the turbo deciding it doesn't want to boost!

The funny thing is, the fuel at Costco is basically what we pay down here normally, so we only fill up there when we're up. It's an excuse for a hotdog, pizza and/or chicken bake.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Not Premium diesel though.
I'm saving several pence per litre vs standard diesel. Getting on to 20/30p for premium diesel.

Whack in the fact I'm paying pennies per mile and the fact the car takes me where I want to, when I want to and then there's no choice vs the bus.
It's only when booze is thrown in to the mix, that there begins to be a discussion.
That's the only time.

Until GNE messed around with the services and prices back in 2006, the discussion never happened.

RE: Pricing - Storx - 24 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 11:10 pm)Thomas12 I think Ouston to Kibblesworth must be up there for the most expensive - £3.80 for a 2 mile journey on the 29.

I have a feeling Stagecoach will win these, just looking at it when discussing it in the other thread there's some horrific fares.

Sunderland Royal Hospital to Sunderland, 1 mile - £2.10 for example or £2.00 return per mile (£4 day ticket).

It's not an unreasonable journey neither like 1 stop with GNE.

We always discuss the longer fares as being expensive but Stagecoach really are the worst. £2.40 from the West End or General to Newcastle or £4.50 return for the amount of passengers there are is a scandal, it's no wonder they usually make £10m profit. Journeys of under 2.5 mile at the most. OrangeArrow (believe that's his name) usually get's shot down for moaning about prices but if it's unregular it's not cheap.

RE: Pricing - Unber43 - 24 Nov 2022

(24 Nov 2022, 12:03 pm)Storx I have a feeling Stagecoach will win these, just looking at it when discussing it in the other thread there's some horrific fares.

Sunderland Royal Hospital to Sunderland, 1 mile - £2.10 for example or £2.00 return per mile (£4 day ticket).

It's not an unreasonable journey neither like 1 stop with GNE.

We always discuss the longer fares as being expensive but Stagecoach really are the worst. £2.40 from the West End or General to Newcastle or £4.50 return for the amount of passengers there are is a scandal, it's no wonder they usually make £10m profit. Journeys of under 2.5 mile at the most. OrangeArrow (believe that's his name) usually get's shot down for moaning about prices but if it's unregular it's not cheap.
I also don't think its just the buses, the metro is like £4.50 return to one stop