North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - Storx - 24 Nov 2022

(24 Nov 2022, 5:34 pm)Unber43 I also don't think its just the buses, the metro is like £4.50 return to one stop

£2.75 on the Metro now if you use the PAYG. Decent value imo. 

£3.60 without it which is probably about fair.

RE: Pricing - omnicity4659 - 24 Nov 2022

If you're going one stop on the Metro then you should really be walking.

(24 Nov 2022, 6:09 pm)omnicity4659 If you're going one stop on the Metro then you should really be walking.

Not sure about that, North Shields to Tynemouth, Cullercoats to Tynemouth, Gateshead to Central, Hebburn to Jarrow, Kingston Park to Fawdon are all reasonable enough journeys and I bet there's a few who do it.

Obviously if your doing Haymarket to Monument you're a bit odd.

RE: Pricing - nova347 - 24 Nov 2022

(24 Nov 2022, 7:17 pm)Storx Not sure about that, North Shields to Tynemouth, Cullercoats to Tynemouth, Gateshead to Central, Hebburn to Jarrow, Kingston Park to Fawdon are all reasonable enough journeys and I bet there's a few who do it.

Obviously if your doing Haymarket to Monument you're a bit odd.
I think with the Metro, so many people use it free of charge because there are no barriers or anything, especially if your going a few stops, someone whos in my class at uni get the metro and gets it a bit past Newcastle then gets the bus into Newcastle because it's cheaper not to mention it only takes like an extra 20 mins, not to mention a lot of people I know buy child tickets for when they're going to Newcastle just to get through the barrier.

(24 Nov 2022, 7:58 pm)nova347 I think with the Metro, so many people use it free of charge because there are no barriers or anything, especially if your going a few stops, someone whos in my class at uni get the metro and gets it a bit past Newcastle then gets the bus into Newcastle because it's cheaper not to mention it only takes like an extra 20 mins, not to mention a lot of people I know buy child tickets for when they're going to Newcastle just to get through the barrier.

Aye can't argue about that, personally I'd wish they'd put barriers at every station. I believe you can legally run them remote nowadays, sure one of the railways down South does it, South Eastern?, would help with the trouble in some places aswell.

Obviously some will jump them but it would go a long way or at least have them at more of the main stations; Wallsend, Byker, Whitley Bay, Tynemouth, Chichester, Jarrow etc so it's pretty much useless without paying - even if it's child tickets.

RE: Pricing - Ambassador - 24 Nov 2022

They could just enforce ticket checks on metro and claw revenue back or actively discourage it

I regularly use metro link in Manchester and every journey without fail, there’s a check (I always forget which bloody card I’ve used) especially through the central belt

RE: Pricing - omnicity4659 - 24 Nov 2022

(24 Nov 2022, 9:09 pm)Ambassador They could just enforce ticket checks on metro and claw revenue back or actively discourage it

I regularly use metro link in Manchester and every journey without fail, there’s a check (I always forget which bloody card I’ve used) especially through the central belt

Always been checked on the Metro but never on the Metrolink!

RE: Pricing - Thomas12 - 24 Nov 2022

(24 Nov 2022, 7:58 pm)nova347 I think with the Metro, so many people use it free of charge because there are no barriers or anything, especially if your going a few stops, someone whos in my class at uni get the metro and gets it a bit past Newcastle then gets the bus into Newcastle because it's cheaper not to mention it only takes like an extra 20 mins, not to mention a lot of people I know buy child tickets for when they're going to Newcastle just to get through the barrier.

The barriers don't let you exit automatically with child tickets. A member of staff would have to let you through.

RE: Pricing - BusLoverMum - 29 Nov 2022

(17 Nov 2022, 10:55 pm)streetdeckfan Turns out West Auckland to Chester Le Street isn't the cheapest per mile, going off the shortest driving distance according to Google anyway. I can't be arsed to put the exact bus route into maps to figure it out!

West Auckland to Chester Le Street - 19.5 miles - £2.60 - 13.33p per mile
Ashington to North Shields Ferry - 17.3 miles - £2.30 - 13.29p per mile

To match that, you'd have to fill up with petrol at Costco and average 53mpg

Do we have any other takers for cheapest journey per mile?

I'd also be interesting to see what the most expensive journey per mile is, if anyone has any suggestions for that.
The mile and a bit between Durham City centre and fram might be the most expensive, then, as it's only pennies less than that.

RE: Pricing - deanmachine - 29 Nov 2022

(29 Nov 2022, 2:00 pm)BusLoverMum The mile and a bit between Durham City centre and fram might be the most expensive, then, as it's only pennies less than that.

I noticed it's still £1.70 between the hospital and North Road though on GNE.

RE: Pricing - BusLoverMum - 29 Nov 2022

(29 Nov 2022, 2:28 pm)deanmachine I noticed it's still £1.70 between the hospital and North Road though on GNE.
Aye, but I can't be arsed to walk up that hill!

To be fair, when we had a bus station, I'd often get the consett or Stanley buses and walk up from the hospital but, with the current arrangement, you can't really just hop on the first thing going in roughly the right direction, so we just hover around the 50/21/X21 stand as the easiest to get to and the safest bet.

And I remember that hop to the hospital was cheaper than the 64 on some buses. Even with the added walk and recent fare changes, £1.70 is still more than the 64, I think.

RE: Pricing - DeltaMan - 30 Nov 2022

For what it worth, Go Ahead owned East Yorkshire Motor Service charge 50p between the main hospital and Hull bus station. A similar journey time, level of competition and distance as Durham, if not slightly longer.

RE: Pricing - BusLoverMum - 30 Nov 2022

(30 Nov 2022, 6:54 am)DeltaMan For what it worth, Go Ahead owned East Yorkshire Motor Service charge 50p between the main hospital and Hull bus station. A similar journey time, level of competition and distance as Durham, if not slightly longer.
Would that be the hospital just on the other side of the train station to the bus station? Literally a stones throw away?

RE: Pricing - streetdeckfan - 09 Mar 2023

Do GNE Network One tickets scan on Arriva yet?

I'm thinking of getting the Explorer ticket today as I have to get a few Arriva and GNE buses, and need to know whether to expect to still look like a tit boarding the bus!

RE: Pricing - Aaron21 - 09 Mar 2023

(09 Mar 2023, 11:25 am)streetdeckfan Do GNE Network One tickets scan on Arriva yet?

I'm thinking of getting the Explorer ticket today as I have to get a few Arriva and GNE buses, and need to know whether to expect to still look like a tit boarding the bus!
Unfortunately no. Its annoying especially since half the drivers look at the ticket say no then they see its an explorer or T&W Day rover and there like oh right okay

(09 Mar 2023, 11:28 am)Aaron21 Unfortunately no. Its annoying especially since half the drivers look at the ticket say no then they see its an explorer or T&W Day rover and there like oh right okay

Thought that'd still be the case.

Wonder what the situation will be like along the Coast Road! Surely they'll have to have something in place regarding that!

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 09 Mar 2023

(09 Mar 2023, 11:25 am)streetdeckfan Do GNE Network One tickets scan on Arriva yet?

Neither scan on each other, but I must be a lucky one. 
Never had an issue with either operator, using either of the others issued Explorer.

Maybe my snarl is more intimidating than a drivers snarl?

(09 Mar 2023, 12:16 pm)Andreos1 Neither scan on each other, but I must be a lucky one. 
Never had an issue with either operator, using either of the others issued Explorer.

Maybe my snarl is more intimidating than a drivers snarl?
I just managed to use it on an Arriva with little fuss, although the driver did study it for a few seconds before letting me on.

Presumably to make sure it wasn't a screenshot!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

RE: Pricing - deanmachine - 09 Mar 2023

(09 Mar 2023, 12:38 pm)streetdeckfan I just managed to use it on an Arriva with little fuss, although the driver did study it for a few seconds before letting me on.

Presumably to make sure it wasn't a screenshot!

Personally, it takes me a little longer to study a ticket from Arriva/Stagecoach because I don't see them as often and have to remember where the info is on the screen/ticket. It's nothing personal.

(09 Mar 2023, 2:33 pm)deanmachine Personally, it takes me a little longer to study a ticket from Arriva/Stagecoach because I don't see them as often and have to remember where the info is on the screen/ticket. It's nothing personal.
Yeah, I thought that would be the case.

They took a while looking at it on the Metro as well.

Since I had the ticket, I thought I'd try using it from Gateshead to Newcastle since everyone on here raves about it being better than using the bus to cross the river.
It was awful, give me 100 buses crossing the Tyne any day!