North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - GuyParkRoyal - 25 Aug 2013

(25 Aug 2013, 12:41 pm)Daniel What are the return prices like?

I have not validated these prices with the operators but if my memory serves me correctly the cost of my previous return journeys were:
Metro £4.40
Stagecoach £3.80
Go North East £3.40
So the difference on the return journey for the average commuter or shopping trip is not as extreme as the single journeys. For anyone heading to the Airport to catch a flight the single fare looks the only option, although it’s still a lot cheaper than paying the parking fees to take a car to the Airport.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 27 Aug 2013

www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10636402.Relief_for_residents_at_launch_for_community_bus_for_rural_villages/

RE: Pricing - Dan - 04 Sep 2013

https://www.facebook.com/simplyGNE/posts/10153194287405710

Can't be right!

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 04 Sep 2013

(04 Sep 2013, 5:13 pm)Daniel https://www.facebook.com/simplyGNE/posts/10153194287405710

Can't be right!

What a bargain!
Reckon if I am ever over that way and needing to head to Sunderland.... That will be my bus!

RE: Pricing - Dan - 04 Sep 2013

(04 Sep 2013, 5:17 pm)Andreos1 What a bargain!
Reckon if I am ever over that way and needing to head to Sunderland.... That will be my bus!

How much do you reckon the 56 is from Concord to Sunderland, when the 939 goes to Sunderland from Team Valley via Concord and costs £2.80?
I'm thinking about £4.50... Simplified pricing structure.

(04 Sep 2013, 5:20 pm)Daniel How much do you reckon the 56 is from Concord to Sunderland, when the 939 goes to Sunderland from Team Valley via Concord and costs £2.80?
I'm thinking about £4.50... Simplified pricing structure.

Having never used a workers service before, I'm wondering if Nexus have set the prices, especially as there are a number of operators contracted to them.

It would have been towards the end of my Secondary Education, but on one of my morning Scholars buses (normally a Wear Buses ECW Olympian), several members of the public used to get on.
That particular bus, was never crowded, but served 2-3 schools across Washington - meaning it served a big chunk of the town, serving regular bus stops along the way, whilst never entering school grounds.

Thinking back, I'm wondering if they braved the school bus, just to save a few quid and it is a little known secret that Nexus contracted services are cheaper than the commercial services which operate the same route?
There was the regular 194 and 294, which covered more or less the same route into Washington from Fatfield (where these passengers always got on) - so why get the 452 (or whatever number it was)?

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 04 Sep 2013

(04 Sep 2013, 5:40 pm)Andreos1 Having never used a workers service before, I'm wondering if Nexus have set the prices, especially as there are a number of operators contracted to them.

It would have been towards the end of my Secondary Education, but on one of my morning Scholars buses (normally a Wear Buses ECW Olympian), several members of the public used to get on.
That particular bus, was never crowded, but served 2-3 schools across Washington - meaning it served a big chunk of the town, serving regular bus stops along the way, whilst never entering school grounds.

Thinking back, I'm wondering if they braved the school bus, just to save a few quid and it is a little known secret that Nexus contracted services are cheaper than the commercial services which operate the same route?
There was the regular 194 and 294, which covered more or less the same route into Washington from Fatfield (where these passengers always got on) - so why get the 452 (or whatever number it was)?

Wasn't the old 461 or 462 from Biddick was it? Although I recall Kingsleys doing at least the latter for a while There again it was always 25p to go anywhere Wink

(04 Sep 2013, 6:19 pm)aureolin Wasn't the old 461 or 462 from Biddick was it? Although I recall Kingsleys doing at least the latter for a while There again it was always 25p to go anywhere Wink

25p?! Haha, I had gone by then I think - although I can remember my mother kicking off when the fares went up to 20p from 15p in the mid-90's. She even rang the bus company to double check!

It might have been those numbers to be honest, although Kingsleys didn't operate it when I got it.

RE: Pricing - cbma06 - 17 Sep 2013

I remember years ago that part of the Conditions of Carriage of a PSV driver that there have to have a paper copy to hand of the faretable for the bus service that there in service with, and have to be shown to the customer if asked for. Don't know if the rules have been changed or relaxed, or is there a bus driver on here that has there updated Conditions of Carriage with them and quickly go through the booklet to confirm or not to confirm.

RE: Pricing - eezypeazy - 18 Sep 2013

It was a requirement of the Traffic Commissioners that a fare table be carried and available for inspection upon request. These days, my understanding is that having the fares programmed into a ticket machine is accepted by the TC as sufficient - which, I suppose, makes sense. Some companies ask their drivers to carry a Stage List - a list of fare stages and an indication of which direction is 'inbound' and which is 'outbound.' These lists sometimes include an indication of which fare stages are in which fares zone (eg, GNE colour zones and T & W fare zones - required for Transfares and NTL product validity). Drivers should also be aware of such things as PlusBus validity and oddities such as Hadrian's Wall Day Ticket. (Hopefully, when everything goes 'Smart', the machine will know all this, too!).

Add in his duty board, cash dispenser, hi viz vest, wallets for paper weekly tickets and a diary in which to write his shifts, and it's no wonder that most companies provide some sort of satchell!

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 05 Oct 2013

It seems that amongst all the sky high fares, there are some bargains still to be had!

Between Sunderland and South Shields, a return ticket is available for £3.60!

RE: Pricing - BJ10VUS - 05 Oct 2013

(05 Oct 2013, 1:53 pm)Andreos1 It seems that amongst all the sky high fares, there are some bargains still to be had!

Between Sunderland and South Shields, a return ticket is available for £3.60!

Metro is £3.50 for a B+C day saver - although I imagine the 35 is quicker than changing at Pelaw

RE: Pricing - Dan - 05 Oct 2013

Was it the 35 or was it a SC E service? Just curious.

RE: Pricing - Kuyoyo - 05 Oct 2013

(05 Oct 2013, 8:25 pm)Daniel Was it the 35 or was it a SC E service? Just curious.

You can't get returns on Stagecoach - only singles and day tickets.

RE: Pricing - Dan - 05 Oct 2013

(05 Oct 2013, 8:32 pm)Kuyoyo You can't get returns on Stagecoach - only singles and day tickets.

I thought that was only for short runs like GNE (I.e. a few stops away)! Learn something new every day Wink

RE: Pricing - BJ10VUS - 05 Oct 2013

I never knew that either! That's interesting!

RE: Pricing - stagecoachbusdepot - 05 Oct 2013

£3.80 Dayrider from Stagecoach is probably even better value for Sun-SSh for most people - assuming they need to get into Sunderland on a Stagecoach bus etc beforehand.

RE: Pricing - tyresmoke - 05 Oct 2013

(05 Oct 2013, 8:32 pm)Kuyoyo You can't get returns on Stagecoach - only singles and day tickets.

To be fair it's only fairly recently that they withdrew their last return tickets.

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 06 Oct 2013

(05 Oct 2013, 8:25 pm)Daniel Was it the 35 or was it a SC E service? Just curious.

The query was on the GNE page

RE: Pricing - Tom - 15 Oct 2013

It's crazy how a single from Gateshead to Heworth on the 51/52 is only £1.45, yet £1.95 on the X3/10/36?