North East Buses
Pricing - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Pricing (/showthread.php?tid=324)

RE: Pricing - mb134 - 20 Jul 2023

(20 Jul 2023, 2:44 pm)Andreos1 Complicating what?
Making it even cheaper for a day out and incentivising travel for families doesn't sound overly complicated to me.

If there's adults with the kids. Kids are free. 
If there's not. Kids pay £1.

Dead easy.

It's the sort of thinking that's seen the industry get to where it is. 

Imagine thinking so little of your customers that you think they might get confused by kids under 11 being free, but having to pay £1 for 12-21 year olds.

Pricing - Adrian - 21 Jul 2023

Was on a Stagecoach X34 earlier, and they've got a notice up advertising the same kids go free offering as Arriva.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

RE: Pricing - Andreos1 - 21 Jul 2023

(20 Jul 2023, 7:48 pm)mb134 It's the sort of thinking that's seen the industry get to where it is. 

Imagine thinking so little of your customers that you think they might get confused by kids under 11 being free, but having to pay £1 for 12-21 year olds.

"got a cracking Idea, that should lead to loads of customers and will be good PR. Kids travel free over the summer"

"nah mate, can't do it. Might lead to confusion and delay"

(21 Jul 2023, 3:46 pm)Adrian Was on a Stagecoach X34 earlier, and they've got a notice up advertising the same kids go free offering as Arriva.

Two down...

RE: Pricing - N1cholas - 21 Jul 2023

GNE are not taking part in the kids go free on normal services, however kids under 11 will go free on services paid for by nexus e.g 79,81,82 sunderland connect 700 e.t.c when accompanied by an adult

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 21 Jul 2023

(21 Jul 2023, 7:35 pm)N1cholas GNE are not taking part in the kids go free on normal services, however kids under 11 will go free on services paid for by nexus e.g 79,81,82 sunderland connect 700 e.t.c when accompanied by an adult

I noted this on Page 85/86 of the Nexus Risk Register: https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/TWSC-Complete-Agenda-20230713-1.pdf

Now it doesn't say 'all', but it'd be an odd situation to have one operator not taking part. By virtue of it appearing on their risk register, it also suggests that we're paying for it, rather than it being done out of kindness or whatever.

Pricing - Dan - 21 Jul 2023

(21 Jul 2023, 8:13 pm)Adrian I noted this on Page 85/86 of the Nexus Risk Register: https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/TWSC-Complete-Agenda-20230713-1.pdf

Now it doesn't say 'all', but it'd be an odd situation to have one operator not taking part. By virtue of it appearing on their risk register, it also suggests that we're paying for it, rather than it being done out of kindness or whatever.

The ‘Kids go free’ offer isn’t subsidised in any way for bus operators, it’s a commercial decision.

The idea of the scheme is that kids travelling free generates additional adult revenue which wouldn’t otherwise be taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Pricing - tcts24 - 21 Jul 2023

(21 Jul 2023, 3:46 pm)Adrian Was on a Stagecoach X34 earlier, and they've got a notice up advertising the same kids go free offering as Arriva.

Stagecoach have been doing it for a good few years every time shool holidays come around. Think they need to be 11 or under and accompanied by an adult with a qualifying ticket.

RE: Pricing - RobinHood - 22 Jul 2023

(20 Jul 2023, 1:03 pm)busmanT Why complicate the already simple offer of £1 per single journey for all aged 21 and under?

Probably because Arriva and Stagecoach also have a significant network offering in the region that doesn't sit within the TNE area and therefore not part of this 'simple offer'.

Probably much more simple to offer Kids Go Free everywhere.

RE: Pricing - MetrolineGA1511 - 29 Jul 2023

I have the feeling that the Stagecoach Newcastle Dayrider is the cheapest adult day ticket valid in Newcastle. Any for Arriva or Go North East would cover a slightly wider area and be more expensive.

RE: Pricing - Rob44 - 19 Aug 2023

Not sure if this is the best palace for this but northern Ireland consulting on raising the free bus travel age to 66

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66514156

also didn't realize people with a disability get only half fare travel rather then free travel over here?

RE: Pricing - Adrian - 19 Aug 2023

(19 Aug 2023, 8:42 am)Rob44 Not sure if this is the best palace for this but northern Ireland consulting on raising the free bus travel age to 66

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66514156

also didn't realize people with a disability get only half fare travel rather then free travel over here?

My view has quite drastically changed on the scheme over the years, but I believe that funding it from 60 is actually the correct approach, and I'd love to see that return to being the position over here.

If you're serious about removing car journeys from the road, then there needs to be incentive for doing so. In the same way as free travel for under 18s or under 21s would hopefully achieve.

That being said, it either needs to be funded properly by the Government (instead of putting it on already cash-strapped LAs) or we need to move to franchising, where operators are paid to run services regardless.

Disabled persons' travel passes offer free travel for holders in England. There's also a companion+ version, which entitles a companion to travel for free.

RE: Pricing - RobinHood - 20 Aug 2023

(19 Aug 2023, 12:58 pm)Adrian we need to move to franchising, where operators are paid to run services regardless.
I suspect almost every bus operator in the country would take this now, rather than impose legal fights as per historic opportunities.

The guaranteed income from franchising, completely removing the risk from the commercial operation, I can only see as an attractive proposition for any of the major companies at this time, with the added opportunities for the littler ones of course.

That said, average person has literally no idea (or a completely misguided idea) of the actual costs to operate buses nowadays, and this includes local authorities and Metro Mayors. I estimate that it could be around £165,000 per year that is required to be generated in revenue, per bus, before any profit is being made at all (in an average size, large operator depot).

Those who dream or expect a return to 1985, with buses running everywhere again, will probably be disappointed, as I cannot see how it can be afforded. Once upon a time, there probably were bus networks that harbored massively profitable routes and had the ability to cross subsidise high numbers of unprofitable services if they were ran no-for-profit (which meant only low subsidy from the public purse needed to maintain stability or improve), but frankly I suspect that as we stand today, most operators are either still loss making or reliant on BRG funding still, just to tread water overall.

As a result of the assumptions above, I fear that franchising will cost significantly more than people realise to just provide the same level of service we have today, nevermind improvements. Anything above the current provision, such as more early, late and weekend services, and/or cheaper fares, will consistently require millions (or billions) from the public purse to achieve it. Its simply not sustainable unless we all pay for it via income tax or even a new 'transport tax' for those in franchised areas.

At the end of the day, the bus operator risk is much lower in this situation than it was 10 years ago and will most likely jump at a fixed margin position in the current climate. They will bid at prices that work for them (which may be massive double digit % margins), as there wont be a shortage of work compared to operators available. Operators who put in those high margin prices will still likely 'win' enough work to ensure they can utilise their resources in full, due to the lack of suppliers in comparison to the opportunity requirement. I cannot see that changing and the only loser is the person who needs to pay for it.

RE: Pricing - Bazza - 23 Aug 2023

Under 22 day ticket (£3) launching 3rd September

RE: Pricing - Unber43 - 23 Aug 2023

Shame there is no weekly one

RE: Pricing - RobinHood - 24 Aug 2023

(23 Aug 2023, 5:49 pm)Unber43 Shame there is no weekly one

TNE can barely afford the day tickets they are planning to implement, nevermind weekly versions.

Enjoy it, as come March 25, prices back to normal as the level of funding needed cannot be maintained.

RE: Pricing - Storx - 24 Aug 2023

(24 Aug 2023, 8:07 am)RobinHood TNE can barely afford the day tickets they are planning to implement, nevermind weekly versions.

Enjoy it, as come March 25, prices back to normal as the level of funding needed cannot be maintained.

I'm assuming they'll have more money then though as Labour will very likely be in power and will use it as a reason why voting Kim in as mayor or why you should choose Labour next time around. Can't see them wanting the PR mess of losing those tickets and unless something major happens there's not a cat in hell chance the Tories are getting a majority at the next election.

RE: Pricing - Bazza - 24 Aug 2023

(24 Aug 2023, 8:07 am)RobinHood TNE can barely afford the day tickets they are planning to implement, nevermind weekly versions.

Is the cap not being raised at the end of October to £2.50 and extended for another 12 months?

(24 Aug 2023, 5:31 pm)Bazza Is the cap not being raised at the end of October to £2.50 and extended for another 12 months?

That's the government's single fare scheme, which is different to the TNE fares.

RE: Pricing - Bazza - 24 Aug 2023

(24 Aug 2023, 5:40 pm)RobinHood That's the government's single fare scheme, which is different to the TNE fares.

So prices won’t be back to normal next March!

(24 Aug 2023, 5:44 pm)Bazza So prices won’t be back to normal next March!

Re-read what my post actually says (March 25).