North East Buses
Anti-Social Behaviour - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Anti-Social Behaviour (/showthread.php?tid=4107)

Pages: 1 2

Anti-Social Behaviour - Unber43 - 08 Sep 2022

Plan to resolve anti-social behaviour

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/buses-safer-passengers-north-east-24932037?fbclid=IwAR0Z2feHJaaOgd_nmJNulMzTPlaiztfcq8bT3_8pD6I2CBa-z9L5TpG_vXc 

I must say most anti social behaviour that I come across is drunk people & groups of teens.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - 54APhotography - 09 Sep 2022

(08 Sep 2022, 7:14 pm)Unber43 Plan to resolve anti-social behaviour

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/buses-safer-passengers-north-east-24932037?fbclid=IwAR0Z2feHJaaOgd_nmJNulMzTPlaiztfcq8bT3_8pD6I2CBa-z9L5TpG_vXc 

I must say most anti social behaviour that I come across is drunk people & groups of teens.
On the Metro school children after 5pm seem to be a major problem, antisocial behaviour and hopping stops without tickets. Drunks are an all day problem now, and have been since pub opening hours changed years ago. Football fans (a small minority) whether in drink or playing to the crowd also cause a great deal of issues. Antisocial behaviour also includes playing music loudly on phones, something it seems every age group is now guilty of.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - Adrian - 09 Sep 2022

(09 Sep 2022, 2:39 pm)54APhotography On the Metro school children after 5pm seem to be a major problem, antisocial behaviour and hopping stops without tickets. Drunks are an all day problem now, and have been since pub opening hours changed years ago. Football fans (a small minority) whether in drink or playing to the crowd also cause a great deal of issues. Antisocial behaviour also includes playing music loudly on phones, something it seems every age group is now guilty of.

Metro has always been a problem with school-aged children on an evening and weekend, but it's not just the Metro. Bus stations are just as bad for it. I was at the Galleries this evening and there were about 20 kids hanging around there, with a couple of them riding around on bikes as people are waiting for a bus. The lack of a staff presence has always created this haven, and the lack of police coverage (due to political choice) makes it 10x worse.

Metro has claimed to have 'hired' staff to resolve this, but we could do without the hired thugs in police fancy dress that they seem to have gone for.

I think the amount of drunk people is becoming an increasing problem, but I wouldn't personally link it to the longer licensing hours. It's more a product of homelessness, and you don't exactly have to go very far to see the extent of the problem these days. I was in Northumberland Street before 9am this morning and you had drunk homeless people fighting each other. It's a massive problem, which again is exasperated by political choice. I do think Kim McGuiness is going down the correct path with this, in terms of a multi-agency response to trying to tackle the problem, rather than the usual single-focused approach of criminalising everyone.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - Unber43 - 09 Sep 2022

(09 Sep 2022, 8:43 pm)Adrian Metro has always been a problem with school-aged children on an evening and weekend, but it's not just the Metro. Bus stations are just as bad for it. I was at the Galleries this evening and there were about 20 kids hanging around there, with a couple of them riding around on bikes as people are waiting for a bus. The lack of a staff presence has always created this haven, and the lack of police coverage (due to political choice) makes it 10x worse.

Metro has claimed to have 'hired' staff to resolve this, but we could do without the hired thugs in police fancy dress that they seem to have gone for.

I think the amount of drunk people is becoming an increasing problem, but I wouldn't personally link it to the longer licensing hours. It's more a product of homelessness, and you don't exactly have to go very far to see the extent of the problem these days. I was in Northumberland Street before 9am this morning and you had drunk homeless people fighting each other. It's a massive problem, which again is exasperated by political choice. I do think Kim McGuiness is going down the correct path with this, in terms of a multi-agency response to trying to tackle the problem, rather than the usual single-focused approach of criminalising everyone.
Stanley Bus Station is awful to be around on an evening. 

I know Consett & Park Lane Still/Did have security and the Consett Security would happily remove anyone from the bus station. Really all bus stations should have them.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - deanmachine - 10 Sep 2022

(09 Sep 2022, 2:39 pm)54APhotography On the Metro school children after 5pm seem to be a major problem, antisocial behaviour and hopping stops without tickets. Drunks are an all day problem now, and have been since pub opening hours changed years ago. Football fans (a small minority) whether in drink or playing to the crowd also cause a great deal of issues. Antisocial behaviour also includes playing music loudly on phones, something it seems every age group is now guilty of.

Me and the other half were on the metro a couple of weeks ago and 3 people got on drinking at Jarrow. One of them goes "oh no, I actually need a ticket I'm going to Newcastle, guess I'll get off at Gateshead Stadium". It's such an obvious known thing that there's only checkies in the city centre and a few select other stations such as South Shields. So people can just do what they want elsewhere on the network. These new trains aren't going to change the attitude of the people travelling, similar story with buses too.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - streetdeckfan - 10 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 12:51 am)deanmachine Me and the other half were on the metro a couple of weeks ago and 3 people got on drinking at Jarrow. One of them goes "oh no, I actually need a ticket I'm going to Newcastle, guess I'll get off at Gateshead Stadium". It's such an obvious known thing that there's only checkies in the city centre and a few select other stations such as South Shields. So people can just do what they want elsewhere on the network. These new trains aren't going to change the attitude of the people travelling, similar story with buses too.
It's like when I used to get the train from Dunston to MetroCentre (because it was cheaper than the bus), as long as you get on the opposite side of the train to where the conductor is, you don't need a ticket because the journey is short enough that you'd be getting off by the time they've walked the length of the train.

Having said that, I always bought the ticket because it was like £1.10, I just didn't always activate it Wink

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - Rob44 - 10 Sep 2022

(09 Sep 2022, 8:43 pm)Adrian Metro has always been a problem with school-aged children on an evening and weekend, but it's not just the Metro. Bus stations are just as bad for it. I was at the Galleries this evening and there were about 20 kids hanging around there, with a couple of them riding around on bikes as people are waiting for a bus. The lack of a staff presence has always created this haven, and the lack of police coverage (due to political choice) makes it 10x worse.

Where are the parents that what i want to know.... although looking back i could have been classed as a bit of a tearaway in my younger days.

I was at gateshead a few weeks ago and the security guard was actually standing chatting to these youngster whilst they road around on their scooters and bikes in the interchange.... and the language made me blush!. Maybe he doesn't get paid enough to deal with all that carp or maybe funds should be found to have police ride the metros on an evening>?

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - nova347 - 10 Sep 2022

I was on the 21 the other day coming from Durham and there were these two lads with a crate of beer, slamming it constantly against the window and pouring beer out of the open window, and some of it going all over the chairs, tables and floor, not to mention we were on one of the X45/X46 deckers so we had fabric seats. So once we got to Newcastle the entire bus stunk of Alcohol.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - streetdeckfan - 10 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 8:21 am)nova347 I was on the 21 the other day coming from Durham and there were these two lads with a crate of beer, slamming it constantly against the window and pouring beer out of the open window, and some of it going all over the chairs, tables and floor, not to mention we were on one of the X45/X46 deckers so we had fabric seats. So once we got to Newcastle the entire bus stunk of Alcohol.
My favourite alcohol related in incident on the bus, that I've brought up several times, was the time I was on the X21 and these two drunks from Spennymoor kept pestering me to give them my cup so they could drink their bottle of Lambrini!

I refused numerous times as I still had some of my mocha in it, I can't remember whether I just gave in and let them have it once I'd finished or whether they just took it anyway, but it wasn't too long before they ended up spilling it all over the floor of the bus. I had to get off a couple stops later as the smell was awful!

I've also witnessed several drug deals, and even people having arguements on the phone with their dealer! Surely that's not the sort of thing you do on a bus filled with CCTV!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - NEbushopper - 11 Sep 2022

Hopefully this will curb the current problems with ASB on the transport network. I have witnessed many incidents ranging from some kids attempting to chuck a bottle at a pensioner, Some one vaping on the Metro and my favourite and no joke: Kids doing wheelies in Monument Metro Station (They were not on the platform but next to the escalator bank )

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - Unber43 - 11 Sep 2022

(11 Sep 2022, 3:26 pm)NEbushopper Hopefully this will curb the current problems with ASB on the transport network. I have witnessed many incidents ranging from some kids attempting to chuck a bottle at a pensioner, Some one vaping on the Metro and my favourite and no joke: Kids doing wheelies in Monument Metro Station (They were not on the platform but next to the escalator bank )
Vaping happens everywhere, Buses, Trains, Metro

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - Adrian - 11 Sep 2022

(10 Sep 2022, 7:00 am)Rob44 Where are the parents that what i want to know.... although looking back i could have been classed as a bit of a tearaway in my younger days.

I was at gateshead a few weeks ago and the security guard was actually standing chatting to these youngster whilst they road around on their scooters and bikes in the interchange.... and the language made me blush!. Maybe he doesn't get paid enough to deal with all that carp or maybe funds should be found to have police ride the metros on an evening>?

I see this question a lot on Facebook groups too, but I think we're often guilty for forgetting we were young once. I'm not saying we all went around smashing things up and giving people grief, but I know I certainly never had to account for every single movement to my parents... nor did any of my friends.

(11 Sep 2022, 5:57 pm)Adrian I see this question a lot on Facebook groups too, but I think we're often guilty for forgetting we were young once. I'm not saying we all went around smashing things up and giving people grief, but I know I certainly never had to account for every single movement to my parents... nor did any of my friends.
But the stereotype that people feel towards groups of teenages, I am pretty sure if anyone on here used to hang around with a large group of friends weren't aware of the atmosphere it created.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - F114TML - 11 Sep 2022

The parents of the people doing this stuff don't care.

Because they did exactly the same when they were young.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - Adrian - 11 Sep 2022

(11 Sep 2022, 6:18 pm)Unber43 But the stereotype that people feel towards groups of teenages, I am pretty sure if anyone on here used to hang around with a large group of friends weren't aware of the atmosphere it created.

Yes, I think all teenagers get a bad name because of the minority. There are other groups that are doing no harm, but they're loud, excitable or whatever, and they'll genuinely be oblivious to others finding it to be anti-social behaviour... which can be a subjective term in itself. 

(11 Sep 2022, 6:24 pm)F114TML The parents of the people doing this stuff don't care.

Because they did exactly the same when they were young.

This is completely unfounded. You have no idea who these people are, never mind who their parents are, so I don't know how you can suggest that they did exactly the same thing when they were young.

Maybe part of the problem is the way young people are carved out and shoved to one side in society. Attitudes like yours don't help.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - Clifton Hignett III - 11 Sep 2022

I find teenagers in North Korea to be well-behaved and very respectful, even in large groups organised by local prominent party members.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - Storx - 11 Sep 2022

(11 Sep 2022, 7:04 pm)Adrian Yes, I think all teenagers get a bad name because of the minority. There are other groups that are doing no harm, but they're loud, excitable or whatever, and they'll genuinely be oblivious to others finding it to be anti-social behaviour... which can be a subjective term in itself. 

This is completely unfounded. You have no idea who these people are, never mind who their parents are, so I don't know how you can suggest that they did exactly the same thing when they were young.

Maybe part of the problem is the way young people are carved out and shoved to one side in society. Attitudes like yours don't help.

Teenagers / young adults are much worse lately and I'm not sure what's causing it, but it's been a big problem ever since the lock down ended.

The trouble on the North Tyne loop on the Metro is the worst it's even been and there's no other way of putting it. There's been multiple assaults, never mind train damage and other things which isn't just head phones or kids being kids. You just have to look at all the damage at Northumberland Park for that, which has never happened in the past and now it's been fixed under a false promise of improving car parks.

Also he does have a point as there's kids causing trouble in my local area and a certain mothers comes out accusing everyone under the sun with the things mentioned there on the local resident groups mostly about it's 'unfair people are videoing her kid - data protection blah blah,' even known it shows her being a little brat. She's suddenly gone into hiding when there's been accusations of criminal damage, funny that - guess she doesn't want to foot the bill.

It's not unique to this area either, it's happening all over the North East, here is one of the less worse areas tbh.

The coast is particularly bad, stuff like - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gang-tynemouth-shopkeeper-co-op-23737282 just isn't normal.

(11 Sep 2022, 8:35 pm)Storx Teenagers / young adults are much worse lately and I'm not sure what's causing it, but it's been a big problem ever since the lock down ended.

The trouble on the North Tyne loop on the Metro is the worst it's even been and there's no other way of putting it. There's been multiple assaults, never mind train damage and other things which isn't just head phones or kids being kids. You just have to look at all the damage at Northumberland Park for that, which has never happened in the past and now it's been fixed under a false promise of improving car parks.

Also he does have a point as there's kids causing trouble in my local area and a certain mothers comes out accusing everyone under the sun with the things mentioned there on the local resident groups mostly about it's 'unfair people are videoing her kid - data protection blah blah,' even known it shows her being a little brat. She's suddenly gone into hiding when there's been accusations of criminal damage, funny that - guess she doesn't want to foot the bill.

It's not unique to this area either, it's happening all over the North East, here is one of the less worse areas tbh.

The coast is particularly bad, stuff like - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gang-tynemouth-shopkeeper-co-op-23737282 just isn't normal.
Both Lines of the metro are awful.

its not just inside Buses/Metro its outside vandalism of smashed windows have just got worse, Deptford have had 35's smashed, X1 smashed, 20's smashed, 60's smashed, 61 mashed, there were 3 out of 4 65 buses were hit in one day according to a driver. 57's have been hit, 49s, 1's have been aimed at. Tonnes of Arriva buses have been hit aswell https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19977788.bus-services-across-county-durham-hit-vandalism-incidents/

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/20225271.two-teens-14-assaulted-inside-newcastle-mcdonalds/

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - Storx - 11 Sep 2022

(11 Sep 2022, 8:43 pm)Unber43 Both Lines of the metro are awful.

its not just inside Buses/Metro its outside vandalism of smashed windows have just got worse, Deptford have had 35's smashed, X1 smashed, 20's smashed, 60's smashed, 61 mashed, there were 3 out of 4 65 buses were hit in one day according to a driver. 57's have been hit, 49s, 1's have been aimed at. Tonnes of Arriva buses have been hit aswell https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19977788.bus-services-across-county-durham-hit-vandalism-incidents/

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/20225271.two-teens-14-assaulted-inside-newcastle-mcdonalds/

Not surprised to see Crook mentioned there, heard it's like the wild west there lately on another forum with kids coming from other towns in particular Bishop and there's been a lot of trouble up there with lack of any police presence.

I know the pit villages between Durham and Peterlee are particularly bad aswell around the Ludworth / Wheatley Hill area aswell, quite often see Arriva buses pulled out down there.

Not surprised at the Houghton area being a particular bad area, seen there's been an abandoned pub on fire today near the famous Fencehouses which has been already targeted by arson in the past.

The pit villages are a bit of a mess lately, politics no doubt being a major cause of it and boredom with lockdown.

RE: Anti-Social Behaviour - streetdeckfan - 11 Sep 2022

(11 Sep 2022, 8:55 pm)Storx Not surprised to see Crook mentioned there, heard it's like the wild west there lately on another forum with kids coming from other towns in particular Bishop and there's been a lot of trouble up there with lack of any police presence.

I know the pit villages between Durham and Peterlee are particularly bad aswell around the Ludworth / Wheatley Hill area aswell, quite often see Arriva buses pulled out down there.

Not surprised at the Houghton area being a particular bad area, seen there's been an abandoned pub on fire today near the famous Fencehouses which has been already targeted by arson in the past.

The pit villages are a bit of a mess lately, politics no doubt being a major cause of it and boredom with lockdown.

Crook is an absolute nightmare these days like, in my mother's estate there has been a load of cars vandalised, and when I was doing the brakes yesterday I found nails in 2 of the tyres, and a few weeks back we found a nail in the tyre on the other car.

Going to Lidl on an evening is terrible, the youths gather in the car park and at the door