North East Buses
Go North East State Of The Fleet - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East State Of The Fleet (/showthread.php?tid=4189)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: State Of The Fleet - nova347 - 24 Jan 2023

(24 Jan 2023, 3:01 pm)Theboyle92 Had 8335 the other day no emissions light warm cab and fast bus completely agree with standards slipping i would rather take one of the x20 citaros parked up at the back of the depot than a streetlight anyday, just seems to be a make do bodge job repairs at deptford at the minute and thats if they bother to fix buses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapat
As a passenger, I would take the Citaros over any GNE single decker especially over an streetlite.

(24 Jan 2023, 11:19 am)Jonathan93102 Hello - I can remember years ago that Houghton Cut hill onto the A690 being a nightmare for some buses. There were I think ex-London Dennis Dart buses on the X35 that were horrific, it was relief when you were on the level again. 

The Scania’s used to be quite good when they were younger. 

I don’t like the Streetlites, the rattles are horrific. I think the Drifters are the better ones, not many rattles on them and they have good heaters but the Prince Bishops vehicles are very bad for rattles. This is my bug with buses, rattles. I can remember Optare buses with the florescent light tubes being the culprit and it wouldn’t stop until it pulled away. Dennis buses with the hand rails and it seems to be the handle of the emergency door on the Streetlite. Also some of them have an engine sound with a terrible high pitch squeal. The Versa buses seem to suffer less with the rattles. 

You can tell Volvo make good vehicles because you don’t get any of these rattles from what I’ve noticed. 

Also I noticed a post earlier about the public ripping the leather on the headrests. It’s nice to have a full headrest but maybe it should be done in moquette, then if some idiot rips it, it’s probably easier to repair than the leather.

Thanks.
When it comes to the Drifters:
5369 - Can’t Change Gears
5370 - Slow AF
5371 - N/A - Offroad getting new engine. 
5372 - Painfully Slow Up Hills + Warm
5373 - Brakes are dodgy
5374/75/76 - All pretty good

Was on the 20A and 8329 was NIS in front and it just kept stopping randomly, nothing to do with the driver i think, like it would just be going along like normal and then it would just slow down till it stopped, it happened like 3 times between the Barnes oneway and University Metro, the driver put the hazards on as it just kept randomly stopping in the middle of the road.

RE: State Of The Fleet - streetdeckfan - 24 Jan 2023

(24 Jan 2023, 6:11 pm)nova347 As a passenger, I would take the Citaros over any GNE single decker especially over an streetlite.

As a passenger, Citaros are probably at the bottom of the list for GNE's single deckers for me. If the seats had padding to them, they'd probably be near the top!

Preferred single decker for me would probably be the E200s, as long as it's not a short journey as the seats are too soft.
Second choice would be one of the upgraded Streetlites, Third would be a Versa (they've grown on me), Fourth would be the Yutongs (they feel too cheap, and they feel top heavy), then the B7s. Those seats are not far off the Citaros in uncomfortableness

RE: State Of The Fleet - nova347 - 24 Jan 2023

(24 Jan 2023, 6:48 pm)streetdeckfan As a passenger, Citaros are probably at the bottom of the list for GNE's single deckers for me. If the seats had padding to them, they'd probably be near the top!

Preferred single decker for me would probably be the E200s, as long as it's not a short journey as the seats are too soft.
Second choice would be one of the upgraded Streetlites, Third would be a Versa (they've grown on me), Fourth would be the Yutongs (they feel too cheap, and they feel top heavy), then the B7s. Those seats are not far off the Citaros in uncomfortableness
The issue with me with the Versas is the interior of the ones especially at Depford are soo dingy and all the plastic interior stuff on the windows looks like they've been stained it it looks horrible though I haven't been on a Quaycity one so they might be different. I like the E200s. Haven't been on a Yutong in ages. But the Citaros will always be the best to me.

RE: State Of The Fleet - Unber43 - 24 Jan 2023

(24 Jan 2023, 6:48 pm)streetdeckfan As a passenger, Citaros are probably at the bottom of the list for GNE's single deckers for me. If the seats had padding to them, they'd probably be near the top!

I've never had a bad experience of a Citaro, and I've been on have been well padded I find the seats extremely comfortable. Streetlites imo they're hit and miss the Saltwell Park ones are absolutely awful its like sitting on rocks, however 8342 there are 4 seats which were repadded and they're unbelievable comfortable. Versas have nice seats., pretty comfy but everything else about them are awful. Solos are pretty comfy too except the Old Optare Solos they used to have (699/700 etc). E200 I like. StreetLite leathers one are quite hard.

As for deckers G2's are normally a lot more comfy than a lot of the streetdecks, except the newer ones.

RE: State Of The Fleet - omnicity4659 - 24 Jan 2023

(24 Jan 2023, 4:26 pm)itsadam The backs of some of their buses are literally pitch black. Any idea why they don't wash their buses on a daily basis or why they get so dirty?

Bus wash isn't operational below freezing. Too many ice related problems.

Problem does seem to be worse this year due to the prolonged -0 temperatures overnight.

RE: State Of The Fleet - BusLoverMum - 24 Jan 2023

And it's not just GNE. One of Belmont's ALX 400s passed us in the traffic jams through Durham, yesterday. Approaching us, it looked to be gleaming, but the sides and back were filthy. Clearly it had been hand washed at the front so the driver could see where he was going and that was that.

RE: State Of The Fleet - Unber43 - 25 Jan 2023

It seems every East Durham Explorer is missing a lot of side panels down the side. 

Do the drivers just hit things on the route often?

RE: State Of The Fleet - ALavery - 25 Jan 2023

(25 Jan 2023, 6:41 pm)Unber43 It seems every East Durham Explorer is missing a lot of side panels down the side. 

Do the drivers just hit things on the route often?

I wouldn’t be surprised, some of the streets they have to go down look like killers, I’m surprised more 60s don’t get into accidents.

RE: State Of The Fleet - nova347 - 25 Jan 2023

(25 Jan 2023, 9:47 pm)ALavery I wouldn’t be surprised, some of the streets they have to go down look like killers, I’m surprised more 60s don’t get into accidents.
But now the 65 is on the rota for the newer drivers, compared to the 60s which have more senior drivers. I've been on the 65 a lot and the route is tight in a lot of places, not to mention especially before the 65 went back to hourly the timing were always tight. 

One common incident I hear about with the 65s is at Durham where drivers miscalculate the road, whether that's knocking their mirror off or when pulling into the stand they crash into a bus already parked.
Below are just a few incidents that I photos of which my friend had sent me, with no doubt many more occurred. I will say the 65s do get a lot of bricks/rocks thrown through their windows, not as much so lately but in the past, it has happened really often.

RE: State Of The Fleet - streetdeckfan - 25 Jan 2023

(25 Jan 2023, 10:06 pm)nova347 But now the 65 is on the rota for the newer drivers, compared to the 60s which have more senior drivers. I've been on the 65 a lot and the route is tight in a lot of places, not to mention especially before the 65 went back to hourly the timing were always tight. 

One common incident I hear about with the 65s is at Durham where drivers miscalculate the road, whether that's knocking their mirror off or when pulling into the stand they crash into a bus already parked.
Below are just a few incidents that I photos of which my friend had sent me, with no doubt many more occurred. I will say the 65s do get a lot of bricks/rocks thrown through their windows, not as much so lately but in the past, it has happened really often.

Not being funny, but if they're still miscalculating the road by the time they're out driving passengers, they should have their licenses revoked!

What are the procedures after a driver crashes? Like, let's say they go around a corner and hit a car as that 65 did in the post before what happens? Like is there a certain number of strikes needed before a driver has crashed too much and gets sacked?

(25 Jan 2023, 10:12 pm)nova347 What are the procedures after a driver crashes? Like, let's say they go around a corner and hit a car as that 65 did in the post before what happens? Like is there a certain number of strikes needed before a driver has crashed too much and gets sacked?

If the driver's at fault, then IMO it should be a zero tolerance policy. One at fault accident and you're out.

(25 Jan 2023, 10:16 pm)streetdeckfan If the driver's at fault, then IMO it should be a zero tolerance policy. One at fault accident and you're out.
Can GNE really afford that atm tho?

Also shouldn't it depend on the severity, for example there was a bus scrapped the side of the bus station on the island scrapped it and broke a panel, or would it be just careless fast driving which caused the issue, what about badly parked cars and the buses are attempting to turn and hits the side of a car?

Would all of these just be dismissal?

RE: State Of The Fleet - Bazza - 25 Jan 2023

(25 Jan 2023, 10:16 pm)streetdeckfan If the driver's at fault, then IMO it should be a zero tolerance policy. One at fault accident and you're out.

It must be great being perfect

(25 Jan 2023, 10:11 pm)streetdeckfan Not being funny, but if they're still miscalculating the road by the time they're out driving passengers, they should have their licenses revoked!
But aren't all crashes miscalculations, humans arent  perfect. They might just pull into a stop a tiny bit too early hitting another bus mirror, unless its like completely reckless driving where they deserve their licenses revoked.

Ive seen loads of drivers who have crashed and I've seen the a few days/weeks later.

(25 Jan 2023, 10:20 pm)Unber43 Can GNE really afford that atm tho?

Also shouldn't it depend on the severity, for example there was a bus scrapped the side of the bus station on the island scrapped it and broke a panel, or would it be just careless fast driving which caused the issue, what about badly parked cars and the buses are attempting to turn and hits the side of a car?

Can GNE really afford to have bad drivers? I can't imagine their insurance is happy with all these accidents.
Don't forget most insurance policies require that they are notified of any accident even if there's no claim being made. Failure to do so can result in their policy being cancelled.

If a driver is incapable of driving into a bus station, a place designed to fit large vehicles, without hitting anything, then they shouldn't be driving a vehicle that large.

A driver should be able to judge whether they can get around a badly parked car, if they can't then they shouldn't be driving a vehicle that large.

RE: State Of The Fleet - Storx - 25 Jan 2023

(25 Jan 2023, 10:20 pm)Unber43 Can GNE really afford that atm tho?

Hitting an island in a bus station is punishment territory mind, that island could've been a person in a different place and is very poor driving. Poorly parked cars then it's the person who parked the car at fault imo. Dismissal maybe not but it's not excusable.

(25 Jan 2023, 10:41 pm)nova347 But aren't all crashes miscalculations, humans arent  perfect. They might just pull into a stop a tiny bit too early hitting another bus mirror, unless its like completely reckless driving where they deserve their licenses revoked.

Ive seen loads of drivers who have crashed and I've seen the a few days/weeks later.

Similar with wing mirrors, that could've been a pensioner who was standing too close to the curb and potentially a fatal. Not excusable either.

I'm not one who likes slagging driver's off but if you start letting people off left right and centre then what is the limit, when someone is killed? when a bus ends up in a tree injuring everyone on board?

Bus driving has been appalling recently to the stage to dangerous lately, I don't exactly appreciate 2T vehicles cutting corners going 50 mph and nearly being wiped out like I was the other week in the car with someone else or some car in the opposite direction making a mistake and pulling out in front of a bus and the bus just pulling out anyway and being inches from wiping them out which we would've no doubt been involved in aswell. Utterly ridiculous. I respect there's a shortage but it feels like they're letting anyone literally behind the wheel lately, it's just a matter of time there's a fatal accident up here. I did see there's been a nasty accident in Sunderland with Stagecoach today though.

(25 Jan 2023, 11:05 pm)streetdeckfan Can GNE really afford to have bad drivers? I can't imagine their insurance is happy with all these accidents.
Don't forget most insurance policies require that they are notified of any accident even if there's no claim being made. Failure to do so can result in their policy being cancelled.

If a driver is incapable of driving into a bus station, a place designed to fit large vehicles, without hitting anything, then they shouldn't be driving a vehicle that large.

A driver should be able to judge whether they can get around a badly parked car, if they can't then they shouldn't be driving a vehicle that large.
Honestly it could be that as a user said the 65 has quite new drivers driving it, maybe more senior ones could have been better.

However 65 crashes seem to happen a tonne. You can see by just looking at the buses. 

Speaking on decals being replaced are GNE still ordering new ones as a few been missing for months.

Hetton-Le-Hole seem buse station can get quite tight especially when deliveries are being dropped off and their is an X1 waiting to head to Newcastle. But I dont think there were any major issues when 35 Citaros which are 12m crashed.

I think we've all been on buses where drivers have taken the turns too quickly and had to brake sharply or just got to close to cars for comfort

As well we've seen a lot of agency drivers and they're terrifying as seen on the 900 replacement service, but I dont think there were many accidents when it came to them, but im not sure

(25 Jan 2023, 9:47 pm)ALavery I wouldn’t be surprised, some of the streets they have to go down look like killers, I’m surprised more 60s don’t get into accidents.
Tbf the 60/61/65 all are quite tight routes. 

But the 96 is extremely tight, the X71 can be in some areas.

RE: State Of The Fleet - Chris 1 - 26 Jan 2023

(25 Jan 2023, 11:05 pm)streetdeckfan Can GNE really afford to have bad drivers? I can't imagine their insurance is happy with all these accidents.

Most big companies will be self insured up to a point - certainly for panel damage and wing mirrors I imagine.

Think some of the posts here are a bit harsh - drivers are human at the end of the day and mistakes/misjudgements can and do happen.  Increased traffic, street furniture, the size of modern mirror arms, pressure off passengers, pressure off the company, fatigue etc will all take their toll.

RE: State Of The Fleet - streetdeckfan - 26 Jan 2023

(26 Jan 2023, 1:11 pm)Chris 1 Most big companies will be self insured up to a point - certainly for panel damage and wing mirrors I imagine.

Think some of the posts here are a bit harsh - drivers are human at the end of the day and mistakes/misjudgements can and do happen.  Increased traffic, street furniture, the size of modern mirror arms, pressure off passengers, pressure off the company, fatigue etc will all take their toll.

But I'd imagine they'd still have the clause around reporting accident damage even without a claim as insurance companies use that to assess risk?