North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - gtom - 18 Nov 2013

They won't split the 21, it was too confusing remember Big Grin

Does the Arnison justify increased use? I know you've NWL HQ up there but with Arriva and GNE serving an hourly X22 at peak would probably suffice

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 18 Nov 2013

There used to be the Pink Panther Solo's around Newton Hall, but they ended up being shifted to Percy Main after a short while.

It seems strange that the place is so well connected with Durham City Centre and places beyond that - but very poorly connected to Chester.

Instead of the 21 or x22, how about extending the 34's from Waldridge Park and have them terminate at the Arnison Centre?
Doing it that way, people living in the Estates have the bus from the end of their street to either Chester or The Arnison centre (so they can do a big shop or a little shop)!

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - gtom - 18 Nov 2013

Does the Sainsburys at AC Durham have a free shuttle bus?

(18 Nov 2013, 1:23 pm)gtomlinson Does the Sainsburys at AC Durham have a free shuttle bus?

Never seen or noticed one.

What I have noticed is that some buses just skirt the outside, whilst others call into the little bus station (bus stop) in between Sainsburys and whatever is in Marksies now.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 18 Nov 2013

(18 Nov 2013, 12:57 pm)andreos1 There used to be the Pink Panther Solo's around Newton Hall, but they ended up being shifted to Percy Main after a short while.

It seems strange that the place is so well connected with Durham City Centre and places beyond that - but very poorly connected to Chester.

Instead of the 21 or x22, how about extending the 34's from Waldridge Park and have them terminate at the Arnison Centre?
Doing it that way, people living in the Estates have the bus from the end of their street to either Chester or The Arnison centre (so they can do a big shop or a little shop)!

The Pink Panther Solo's were used on short lived service D4 Durham-Arnison Centre in competion with Arriva 64 on that stretch:

GNE bought Northumbria Coaches.
Then GNE started bargain Bus with cheap fares between Blyth and Newcastle.
Arriva fought back with the 153 saltwell park to Gateshead
GNE put on the D4 in Durham and also the "Thirty" between Sunderland and Hartlepool.

But before everything got out of hand, Arriva and GNE shook hands with the Hexham and Ashington deals.

(18 Nov 2013, 1:31 pm)cbma06 The Pink Panther Solo's were used on short lived service D4 Durham-Arnison Centre in competion with Arriva 64 on that stretch:

GNE bought Northumbria Coaches.
Then GNE started bargain Bus with cheap fares between Blyth and Newcastle.
Arriva fought back with the 153 saltwell park to Gateshead
GNE put on the D4 in Durham and also the "Thirty" between Sunderland and Hartlepool.

But before everything got out of hand, Arriva and GNE shook hands with the Hexham and Ashington deals.

And local butchers saw a downturn in meat sales... Big Grin

Another thought (haven't looked at PVR's at any point here - maybe an extra 2 vehicles) could be extending the 71 to the Arnison Centre via South Burns, North Approach, The Avenue and either go the way the 50 does or have it drop back down onto Durham Road and follow the 21 to Pity Me.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 21 Nov 2013

Scrap the 73 - On the 12:10pm Departure from The Galleries and there was only one Passenger on it.

So here is my Proposal

8 - Stanley - Beamish - Pelton - Chester-le-Street - Harraton - Washington - Waterview Park - Sunderland Enterprise Park - Sunderland

Every 30 Minutes Replacing the 73 Between Waterview Park and Sunderland and would also Provide a Faster Xpress Route Between Washington and Sunderland.

23 - Washington Bus Station - Sainsbury's Car Park - Blackfell Knoulberry - Parsons Industrial Estate - Concord - Coach Road Estate - Donwell - Springwell Heugh Hill - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton - Birtley Crematorium - Lansbury Drive - Birtley - Barley Mow Estate

Every 1 Hour Replacing Service 73 Between Washington Galleries and Coach Road Estate and Provides a New Link for the OAP's who live on The Current Route to Concord.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - gtom - 21 Nov 2013

(21 Nov 2013, 4:58 pm)Adam Malarkey 23 - Washington Bus Station - Sainsbury's Car Park - Blackfell Knoulberry - Parsons Industrial Estate - Concord - Coach Road Estate - Donwell - Springwell Heugh Hill - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton - Birtley Crematorium - Lansbury Drive - Birtley - Barley Mow Estate

Every 1 Hour Replacing Service 73 Between Washington Galleries and Coach Road Estate and Provides a New Link for the OAP's who live on The Current Route to Concord.

Would this be run commercially Adam?

Not sure how well the OAP's in Birtley and Barley Mow would react to being reduced from half hourly to hourly

(21 Nov 2013, 5:23 pm)gtomlinson Would this be run commercially Adam?

Not sure how well the OAP's in Birtley and Barley Mow would react to being reduced from half hourly to hourly

I thought it was an Hourly Service as the Timetable at Sainsbury's has it as Hourly, Well if it's Every 30 Minutes then it'll remain Every 30 Minutes to keep the OAP's Happy. And I would keep it under a Nexus Contract as it's mainly used by the OAP's Anyway, I can't see that many people paying a Single Fare to be Honest.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Tom - 21 Nov 2013

(21 Nov 2013, 5:41 pm)Adam Malarkey I thought it was an Hourly Service as the Timetable at Sainsbury's has it as Hourly, Well if it's Every 30 Minutes then it'll remain Every 30 Minutes to keep the OAP's Happy. And I would keep it under a Nexus Contract as it's mainly used by the OAP's Anyway, I can't see that many people paying a Single Fare to be Honest.

I think it's every 30 minutes from Birtley/Lansbury Drive to Barley Mow, with hourly journeys extending to Washington Smile

(21 Nov 2013, 5:47 pm)Tom I think it's every 30 minutes from Birtley/Lansbury Drive to Barley Mow, with hourly journeys extending to Washington Smile

Surprised this doesn't confuse the OAP's, Definitely Confused me as I didn't know there was a Short Working, All cleared up now and it can still replace the 73, keeping the OAP's of Birtley and Coach Road Estate Happy

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - gtom - 21 Nov 2013

(21 Nov 2013, 5:56 pm)Adam Malarkey Surprised this doesn't confuse the OAP's, Definitely Confused me as I didn't know there was a Short Working, All cleared up now and it can still replace the 73, keeping the OAP's of Birtley and Coach Road Estate Happy

You should see the timetables in Birtley Centre if you think you're confused

0810 0835 0905 are all short workings to Birtley Crem

Then there's a 0935 to Birtley Crem followed by a 0940(!) to Washington

But the 08.10 and the 09.35 don't start in Barley Mow (no idea where it actually begins)

Then its half hourly to the Crem and hourly to Washington (as Tom noted)

Then you've got a 16.05 and 16.35. The first one terminates at Birtley Crematorium but the 16.35 terminates at Lansbury Drive

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - big mac - 24 Nov 2013

(18 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm)fozzovmurton Another idea...do GNE cover Newton Hall at all, been over 10 years since I lived in Fram and can't really remember the bus network around there....Was thinking, would it be feasible to re-route the 50 to go round Newton Hall housing estate...

That would open up connections to Chester-le-Street and Washington for Newton Hall and it would follow the 64 or whereever the hell Arriva goes round there

I remember Arriva used to run the Newcastle - Crook X46 around Newton Hall Estate and the passengers boarding there were certainly not great in number, so I'm not convinced that would work. Newton Hall is affluent and has a high level of car ownership as well.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 24 Nov 2013

2A/2C - Washington to Sunderland (Current Route) - Every 15 Minutes - Frequency Reduced due to the Introduction of the X2

X2 - Sunderland to Newcastle via Royal Hospital - Grindon Mill - Penshaw - Non Stop to Washington Galleries via A182 - Springwell - Wrekenton - Q.E. Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle - Every 30 Minutes

X1 - Easington Lane to Newcastle (Current Route) - Every 15 Minutes - Maintaining a Every 10 Minute Service from Washington to Newcastle with the X2.

8 - Stanley to Waterview Park (Current Route) then via Sunderland Enterprise Park into Sunderland - Every 30 Minutes

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - citaro5284 - 24 Nov 2013

(24 Nov 2013, 9:51 pm)Adam Malarkey 2A/2C - Washington to Sunderland (Current Route) - Every 15 Minutes - Frequency Reduced due to the Introduction of the X2

X2 - Sunderland to Newcastle via Royal Hospital - Grindon Mill - Penshaw - Non Stop to Washington Galleries via A182 - Springwell - Wrekenton - Q.E. Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle - Every 30 Minutes

X1 - Easington Lane to Newcastle (Current Route) - Every 15 Minutes - Maintaining a Every 10 Minute Service from Washington to Newcastle with the X2.

8 - Stanley to Waterview Park (Current Route) then via Sunderland Enterprise Park into Sunderland - Every 30 Minutes

Does not the 2A and 2C go different ways between Washington and Sunderland, so by reducing the frequency, you giving them a worse service?

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 24 Nov 2013

(24 Nov 2013, 9:58 pm)citaro5284 Does not the 2A and 2C go different ways between Washington and Sunderland, so by reducing the frequency, you giving them a worse service?

Yes - 2A goes via Biddick/Fatfield/Barnwell and 2C goes via Lambton/Harraton/Fatfield

But Technically as the 8 Serves Harraton/Fatfield and Glebe there technically isn't much of a loss in service with it being every 30 Minutes, so really only Lambton and Biddick are missing out, Lambton/Biddick has a Very Frequent Service anyway for a Connection to the Galleries.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 24 Nov 2013

(24 Nov 2013, 9:51 pm)Adam Malarkey 2A/2C - Washington to Sunderland (Current Route) - Every 15 Minutes - Frequency Reduced due to the Introduction of the X2

First off - the Sunderland to Hastings Hill corridor:
It's a corridor served by "Silver Arrows" 2A/2C, "Lime" 8/78, providing a healthy 10 buses per hour. This clearly shows that there is demand for this level of service along this corridor. The 'revised' 10 buses per hour would not be at such a level because, as an express service, the X2 would only call 'limited stop'.

Secondly - the frequency reduction on "Silver Arrows" services 2A/2C:
In November 2012 (or was it 2011?), these services were increased in frequency. This increase in frequency helped out massively with the reliability of the service, and also provided passengers living on the route with a higher level of service. From Hastings Hill, all passengers would be at a loss, as the X2 would follow the same route as "Lime" service 8, so would not serve Penshaw or any of the stops beyond there.
If the 15 minute frequency was to be re-instated, then surely the reliability of the services would drop once more, and the customers who have "earned" that frequency will also be dropped?

(24 Nov 2013, 9:51 pm)Adam Malarkey X2 - Sunderland to Newcastle via Royal Hospital - Grindon Mill - Penshaw - Non Stop to Washington Galleries via A182 - Springwell - Wrekenton - Q.E. Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle - Every 30 Minutes

I'm yet to see the point of the X2...
To me, if there are any passengers travelling directly from Sunderland to Newcastle, they would use the X3/X36 as they are at present.
For passengers along the Chester Road corridor, a solid ten minute frequency with connections at The Galleries is of very little inconvenience.
It would benefit those who were hunting a cheaper fare from, let's say, the Royal Hospital to Newcastle. They'd be entitled to a 'return'. That would not be of benefit to Go North East, however.

(24 Nov 2013, 9:51 pm)Adam Malarkey 8 - Stanley to Waterview Park (Current Route) then via Sunderland Enterprise Park into Sunderland - Every 30 Minutes

Would this increase the running times? "Lime" services 8/78 interwork remember, so if the running times were increased, the interworking schedule would go tits up, and Go North East would have to think of a new way of operating both services.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - citaro5284 - 24 Nov 2013

(24 Nov 2013, 10:03 pm)Adam Malarkey Yes - 2A goes via Biddick/Fatfield/Barnwell and 2C goes via Lambton/Harraton/Fatfield

But Technically as the 8 Serves Harraton/Fatfield and Glebe there technically isn't much of a loss in service with it being every 30 Minutes, so really only Lambton and Biddick are missing out, Lambton/Biddick has a Very Frequent Service anyway for a Connection to the Galleries.

Alot of technically's in there. So people from Lambton/Biddick who now have a 20 minute direct service, would now have a 30 minutes service or have to go to the Galleries and change....Would love you to go to the local Councillor and explain that one Tongue

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 24 Nov 2013

Further to the points I raised above...
Which vehicles would operate the service?

As you're reducing the frequency of the X1, you've got free B9s.
As you're reducing the frequency of the 2A/2C, you've got free Citaros.
As you're (presumably) cutting the X3/X36, you've got a mixture of free Northern vehicles which add up to the PVR (including 36/36A).

There's no guarantee that the service would immediately justify B9s/Citaros, but then passengers on the Chester Rd corridor would not have the Citaros they have at present if you gave them shoddy old Northerns...

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Adrian - 24 Nov 2013

If I lived on the 2A or 2C route in Washington, I'd be pretty annoyed about losing the frequency to provide an express service between Sunderland and Newcastle. Baring in mind that Nexus would have already screwed me over with the absence of the Metro. People in either Newcastle or Sunderland wanting to go to each other can use the Metro. There's no need for them to get a bus that takes twice as long.