North East Buses
Customer Service thread - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Customer Service thread (/showthread.php?tid=958)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Customer Service thread - Dan - 01 Aug 2014

(01 Aug 2014, 2:39 pm)AdamY I think I should have made my second point a bit clearer.

Your earlier post implies that someone might be lying about what time the bus arrived back at the depot. If the bus arrived, say, 5-10 minutes early then someone (at the depot) may notice and question the reason why that particular bus and driver has arrived at the depot so soon. However, if a bus arrived back at the depot, say, 1 or 2 minutes early, it may go largely unnoticed, especially if other buses and drivers are due back at the same time. Therefore, if asked, did the bus arrive back at the depot on time, someone might answer 'yes' simply because they thought the bus arrived back as scheduled. Not an ideal answer but certainly not a lie.

I was told, in the original e-mail from Customer Services, that my complaint was passed onto the depot. It was the depot who provided the Customer Services representative with the information that the bus operated on-time. I know fine well that this is not correct. If it was, I would have had my photo, and I wouldn't have lodged the complaint. I arrived at the stop 5 minutes before the bus was due, so it must have been at least 6 minutes early. That, in my eyes, is the lie. Why the depot would lie to this Customer Services representative, I do not know, but I am 100% certain that it did not operate on time.

It was 6+ minutes early at Monkwearmouth, so this would be replicated at the depot too - assuming the running times back to the depot are realistic (which I'm sure they would be). If the driver had his foot down all the way from East Boldon to Monkwearmouth, he could have perhaps managed to get back 2 minutes quicker than the scheduled timings - and he would have made this time up when passing the Greyhound Stadium at full speed, given that the driver certainly shouldn't be speeding through East Boldon. 6 minutes early is just a complete joke though, and he must have passed a timing point early to do that (despite what Customer Services has told me).

With regards to the whole running board/depot thing... My issue was that the Customer Services representative asked me if she could check any other times for me, and I did (when it actually arrived back in the depot versus the time scheduled to on the running board), and she chose not to answer - and instead suggested that she made a mistake and the bus actually left the East Boldon timing point 12 seconds early.

RE: Customer Service thread - S813 FVK - 01 Aug 2014

(01 Aug 2014, 2:50 pm)Dan I was told, in the original e-mail from Customer Services, that my complaint was passed onto the depot. It was the depot who provided the Customer Services representative with the information that the bus operated on-time. I know fine well that this is not correct. If it was, I would have had my photo, and I wouldn't have lodged the complaint. I arrived at the stop 5 minutes before the bus was due, so it must have been at least 6 minutes early. That, in my eyes, is the lie. Why the depot would lie to this Customer Services representative, I do not know, but I am 100% certain that it did not operate on time.

It was 6+ minutes early at Monkwearmouth, so this would be replicated at the depot too - assuming the running times back to the depot are realistic (which I'm sure they would be). If the driver had his foot down all the way from East Boldon to Monkwearmouth, he could have perhaps managed to get back 2 minutes quicker than the scheduled timings - and he would have made this time up when passing the Greyhound Stadium at full speed, given that the driver certainly shouldn't be speeding through East Boldon. 6 minutes early is just a complete joke though, and he must have passed a timing point early to do that (despite what Customer Services has told me).

With regards to the whole running board/depot thing... My issue was that the Customer Services representative asked me if she could check any other times for me, and I did (when it actually arrived back in the depot versus the time scheduled to on the running board), and she chose not to answer - and instead suggested that she made a mistake and the bus actually left the East Boldon timing point 12 seconds early.

Did you remain at the stop for a few minutes after the bus was due or did you just walk off when it didnt come? There is also the possibility that it was severely delayed due to general reasons and not due to any traffic issues. It happens.

Re: RE: Customer Service thread - Dan - 01 Aug 2014

(01 Aug 2014, 3:23 pm)Robert Did you remain at the stop for a few minutes after the bus was due or did you just walk off when it didnt come? There is also the possibility that it was severely delayed due to general reasons and not due to any traffic issues. It happens.
Yes I did.

A friend got off at Heworth and the driver left there on time. I've used that run quite a lot and although there is sometimes traffic at Testos, it's never bad, and the bus always gets to Monkwearmouth on time.

RE: Customer Service thread - S813 FVK - 01 Aug 2014

(01 Aug 2014, 3:26 pm)Dan Yes I did.

A friend got off at Heworth and the driver left there on time. I've used that run quite a lot and although there is sometimes traffic at Testos, it's never bad, and the bus always gets to Monkwearmouth on time.

Ok, just thought that it would be worth asking. Well then...i dont think much can be done about it now (obviously) but the driver needs to be spoken to about it.

Re: RE: Customer Service thread - Dan - 01 Aug 2014

(01 Aug 2014, 3:32 pm)Robert Ok, just thought that it would be worth asking. Well then...i dont think much can be done about it now (obviously) but the driver needs to be spoken to about it.
Well hopefully s/he has been spoken to about it, but clearly the CCTV and GPS data for the bus suggests it has operated on time... Nevermind! Just glad it was only a photo I missed out on (although CS obviously think I intended to travel).

RE: Customer Service thread - Adrian - 01 Aug 2014

(01 Aug 2014, 3:47 pm)Dan Well hopefully s/he has been spoken to about it, but clearly the CCTV and GPS data for the bus suggests it has operated on time... Nevermind! Just glad it was only a photo I missed out on (although CS obviously think I intended to travel).

Request the driver's view CCTV under the DPA. They're saying the bus was on time, and you're saying you were at the stop (I'm not saying you weren't by the way! Wink), so you would be on that CCTV footage at the date/time you give and have a right to request it as your data. The beauty is that the footage is timestamped.

RE: Customer Service thread - L469 YVK - 01 Aug 2014

(26 Jul 2014, 8:02 am)Dan I agree with this.

One of the reasons I did have a soft spot for Arriva when first starting out as an enthusiast was the fact that their fleet seemed so old compared to other operators' fleets; although both of the other main operators had vehicles just as elderly, I think it was mainly down to the fact that they'd been repainted, making them look slightly younger.

Of the three operators in the North East, I'm inclined to suggest that Arriva will see the most new arrivals this year - though of course, as Arriva typically favour light-weight vehicles, this should be expected. Nevertheless, the continued flow of investment should gain Arriva a few brownie points with us enthusiasts, and hopefully tie them over for a good few years before the fleet starts to show its age again.

The introduction of their real time technology applications came as something somewhat unusual, given that new technology does seem to be the forté of Go North East opposed to Arriva North East - but it being released first does but competitors at an advantage, as they'll be aware of any issues which Arriva may have had with it, and be able to improve their technology whilst still in development.

Arriva are in better shape than what they were between 2010 and 2013 but:

- More attention needs to be payed to reliability. If a bus takes 40 minutes, then say so but don't claim it to take less and if an extra bus is needed even if a Prestige, then get it on!

- Setup two local customer service numbers, one for Northumbria services and one for Durham County.

- For key routes, have dedicated service delivery managers.

- Only use wrongly branded buses as a last resort.

(01 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm)DaveyBowyer Arriva are in better shape than what they were between 2010 and 2013 but:

- More attention needs to be payed to reliability. If a bus takes 40 minutes, then say so but don't claim it to take less and if an extra bus is needed even if a Prestige, then get it on!

- Setup two local customer service numbers, one for Northumbria services and one for Durham County.

- For key routes, have dedicated service delivery managers.

- Only use wrongly branded buses as a last resort.

For your second point, I note they've went with an 03xx number now that 08xx is illegal for customer services lines. Although some buses still reference the 08xx number, which is a bit naughty.

I'd rather they had a customer services department based in the region, but I couldn't see the operational sense in having the two. You'll always need a failover (or DR site), but because it should be rare you need to invoke DR, it'd make more sense routing to another customer services centre in the UK. The reason I think it should be a regional department is because you just get a shrug of the shoulders if you mention a certain stop, town, village, etc. They have no local knowledge whatsoever which is disastrous when you're supporting a local service!

RE: Customer Service thread - Andreos1 - 01 Aug 2014

(01 Aug 2014, 2:50 pm)Dan I was told, in the original e-mail from Customer Services, that my complaint was passed onto the depot. It was the depot who provided the Customer Services representative with the information that the bus operated on-time. I know fine well that this is not correct. If it was, I would have had my photo, and I wouldn't have lodged the complaint. I arrived at the stop 5 minutes before the bus was due, so it must have been at least 6 minutes early. That, in my eyes, is the lie. Why the depot would lie to this Customer Services representative I do not know, but I am 100% certain that it did not operate on time.

It isn't the first and it won't be the last.

Cust Svcs have to rely on the information they have been given from the depot.
If that information seems accurate, then it is the poor customer who is made to look silly.

Look at how many reports of missing buses are on operators fb pages, for a response to come back from the 'bod' stating the bus is/was running and it has been confirmed by the depot.

The operators hold the records and it is upto the passengers to prove those records are inaccurate.

(01 Aug 2014, 4:44 pm)Andreos Constantopolous It isn't the first and it won't be the last.

Cust Svcs have to rely on the information they have been given from the depot.
If that information seems accurate, then it is the poor customer who is made to look silly.

Look at how many reports of missing buses are on operators fb pages, for a response to come back from the 'bod' stating the bus is/was running and it has been confirmed by the depot.

The operators hold the records and it is upto the passengers to prove those records are inaccurate.

Yup - and this is why I hope the Vix tracking solution, that citaro5284 mention not so long ago, is used to it's full potential. If customer services had screens in their office reporting late runnings, bus positions, congestion, etc. Then there'd be absolutely no need for them to go to speak to anyone as it's all in front of them.

I've worked in a network monitoring centre (NMC) office before, and you've got a similar set up, but obviously to manage network devices, traffic, etc. It's so handy though as we could see any alarms and pretty much resolve the issue before anyone noticed there was one.

Example NMC office design:

[Image: NOC-IUPUI.jpg]

RE: Customer Service thread - citaro5284 - 01 Aug 2014

The plan is CS will have screens so they can see what is going on 'live'. Each Controller (based at a Central Control Room in due course) are going to have a bank of monitors like the picture (a large one for AVL with the screen split to show how the vehicles are running) and a further 2 smaller screens (for radio and lost mileage recording) along with a normal pc for emails etc.

RE: Customer Service thread - Andreos1 - 02 Aug 2014

(01 Aug 2014, 4:52 pm)aureolin Yup - and this is why I hope the Vix tracking solution, that citaro5284 mention not so long ago, is used to it's full potential. If customer services had screens in their office reporting late runnings, bus positions, congestion, etc. Then there'd be absolutely no need for them to go to speak to anyone as it's all in front of them.

I've worked in a network monitoring centre (NMC) office before, and you've got a similar set up, but obviously to manage network devices, traffic, etc. It's so handy though as we could see any alarms and pretty much resolve the issue before anyone noticed there was one.

Example NMC office design:

[Image: NOC-IUPUI.jpg]

Perfect example of the need for this is on the GNE fb page (can't copy the link from the fb app)

Jamie Allen had an issue with the x30.
I have no reason to doubt him, but the information provided by the cust svc rep (presumably given initially by the depot), contradicts everything Jamie has seen and apparently experienced

RE: Customer Service thread - Tom - 02 Aug 2014

Pissed off beyond belief today like.

The 1 left three minutes early from Ghead, then when I got off the metro, the driver drove past my stop and when I told him he said ''tough'' and put me off at the next stop! Lovely email to GNE tomorrow!

Customer Service thread - R852 PRG - 02 Aug 2014

(02 Aug 2014, 5:21 pm)Tom Pissed off beyond belief today like.

The 1 left three minutes early from Ghead, then when I got off the metro, the driver drove past my stop and when I told him he said ''tough'' and put me off at the next stop! Lovely email to GNE tomorrow!

Just what you need after coming back from holiday! Dodgy

I've had a 'shut up' once after the driver overran my stop on the 28 with 4986. I pressed the bell twice (you all know how loud the bell on a Solar is), I only did it twice because I felt him put his foot down a bit as we drew near the stop. One time on the 8 with 4864, I got shouted out to 'sit down' because I 'was standing up to early'. Dear me.....

RE: Customer Service thread - Tom - 02 Aug 2014

The bell on 6030 is loud enough like.

RE: Customer Service thread - BJ10VUS - 02 Aug 2014

(02 Aug 2014, 6:05 pm)Tom The bell on 6030 is loud enough like.

Get the bell out of a Myllennium - hold that in for long enough and a driver will never miss a stop again! Tongue

RE: Customer Service thread - Dan - 02 Aug 2014

(02 Aug 2014, 8:03 pm)BJ10VUS Get the bell out of a Myllennium - hold that in for long enough and a driver will never miss a stop again! Tongue

Or one of Arriva's OmniCitys.. I'm saying no more!

RE: Customer Service thread - Jimmi - 02 Aug 2014

(02 Aug 2014, 8:05 pm)Dan Or one of Arriva's OmniCitys.. I'm saying no more!

All of Arriva's OmniCitys are loud if you sit under the speaker, the first time I rode one I almost had a heart attack.

RE: Customer Service thread - tyresmoke - 02 Aug 2014

(02 Aug 2014, 8:10 pm)Jimmi All of Arriva's OmniCitys are loud if you sit under the speaker, the first time I rode one I almost had a heart attack.

The 07 plates are the worst, the 05's are a bit quieter and less noticeable!

RE: Customer Service thread - Roland Pratt - 03 Aug 2014

(02 Aug 2014, 8:10 pm)Jimmi All of Arriva's OmniCitys are loud if you sit under the speaker, the first time I rode one I almost had a heart attack.

Yes, used to wake me up on the X1!