North East Buses
Customer Service thread - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Customer Service thread (/showthread.php?tid=958)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Customer Service thread - Tom - 07 Sep 2014

This is shocking: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10201604327668739

RE: Customer Service thread - L469 YVK - 07 Sep 2014

(07 Sep 2014, 8:15 pm)Tom This is shocking: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10201604327668739

Bang out of order! I know the driver might not have been driving at the time but he could've at least calmed the lad down and offered to help him out!

RE: Customer Service thread - Adrian - 07 Sep 2014

(07 Sep 2014, 9:11 pm)DaveyBowyer Bang out of order! I know the driver might not have been driving at the time but he could've at least calmed the lad down and offered to help him out!

It's the language and attitude he has. If he's in uniform he's representing the company, whether that be off the bus, on the bus, or on the moon. To be honest, he could have just apologised to the lad (whether he meant it or not), and he'd have probably thought twice about putting a complaint in anyway...

Nearly 1000 shares. I can't see a company the size of GNE letting some halfwit like this ruin their reputation.

RE: Customer Service thread - S813 FVK - 07 Sep 2014

(07 Sep 2014, 8:15 pm)Tom This is shocking: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10201604327668739

Hmm...thats one of the drivers that have always had some sort of attitude. It'd be interesting to see how close the person filming this was to the road hence why the bus nearly hit him and its not as if the streets of Consett get that busy to literally be on the edge of the road. Not supporting the driver in any way but quite frankly, that was disgusting.

RE: Customer Service thread - Andreos1 - 09 Sep 2014

By all accounts, it has spread nationally!

The CEO of Remploy has picked up and tweeted about it.
Quote:@RemployCEO
Bus driver demonstrates shocking attitude when confronted by guy he knocked off his bike @gonortheast https://t.co/A1BelEqn2o

Re: RE: Customer Service thread - Dan - 09 Sep 2014

(09 Sep 2014, 10:26 am)Andreos Constantopolous By all accounts, it has spread nationally!

The CEO of Remploy has picked up and tweeted about it.
A not-so-good future for the driver, I'm guessing!

RE: Customer Service thread - gtom - 09 Sep 2014

At some point people will start taking social media & the fact we've all got cameras and videos in our pocket seriously...

Re: RE: Customer Service thread - Adrian - 09 Sep 2014

(09 Sep 2014, 7:54 pm)gtom At some point people will start taking social media & the fact we've all got cameras and videos in our pocket seriously...
But it'll never take away morons who think that they're invincible. Maybe it's a culture issue?

RE: Customer Service thread - gtom - 09 Sep 2014

(09 Sep 2014, 8:08 pm)aureolin But it'll never take away morons who think that they're invincible. Maybe it's a culture issue?

Perhaps, tho I'd say the younger drivers are more aware. All it takes now is one off the cuff comment taken the wrong way and its on Facebook and the driver is in for tea and biscuits.

They might dismiss it as 'gone mad culture' but its the reality. UK customer service has been woeful for years and now retail (and the service sector which GNE is part of) are now realising they have to up their game

Yeah I imagine its a rubbish job sometimes but so is retail, offices etc etc and if anyone acted in those places like 'some' drivers do they'd be on their arse. They need to realise they are no longer just drivers, they are customer service operatives too!

RE: Customer Service thread - Adrian - 23 Sep 2014

Emailed Arriva on the 3rd of September. Received a reply today, not a response to my email, but to tell me it's been logged, and they'll endeavour to get back to me within 10 working days...

So that's 20 (or 14 "working") days to get an acknowledgement, with an expectation of up to another 14 (or 10 "working") days for a response.. if it arrives then.. 

So all in all, and I'm going to have waited a grand total of 34 (or 24 "working") days for a response to a fairly simple issue. Really is unacceptable to wait such a length of time in this day and age.

RE: Customer Service thread - Dan - 07 Oct 2014

Sent an e-mail off to Go North East this afternoon after an experience with a rather rude driver, of whom tutted and made a remark about me using the 60 service for such a short journey. Also mentioned the removal of the external smart card readers and how only a couple of Deptford vehicles have had them removed, leaving customers confused as to which reader they should be using to scan their smart cards.
Got the generic automated response back straight away and now awaiting my response!

Also sent an e-mail off to Stagecoach North East this afternoon, asking for assistance with the fleet list archive. After just over 30 minutes, I got a reply from a Customer Services assistant, asking for permission to pass my e-mail address on to other employees who may be able to assist me. Fingers crossed! I never really e-mail Stagecoach with complaints (just tends to be enthusiast-related queries), but I'd be mightily impressed if it was the norm for these e-mails to be responded to (personally) in less than an hour!

@aureolin - have you had an answer from Arriva yet?

Customer Service thread - R852 PRG - 07 Oct 2014

(07 Oct 2014, 4:08 pm)Dan Sent an e-mail off to Go North East this afternoon after an experience with a rather rude driver, of whom tutted and made a remark about me using the 60 service for such a short journey. Also mentioned the removal of the external smart card readers and how only a couple of Deptford vehicles have had them removed, leaving customers confused as to which reader they should be using to scan their smart cards.
Got the generic automated response back straight away and now awaiting my response!

Also sent an e-mail off to Stagecoach North East this afternoon, asking for assistance with the fleet list archive. After just over 30 minutes, I got a reply from a Customer Services assistant, asking for permission to pass my e-mail address on to other employees who may be able to assist me. Fingers crossed! I never really e-mail Stagecoach with complaints (just tends to be enthusiast-related queries), but I'd be mightily impressed if it was the norm for these e-mails to be responded to (personally) in less than an hour!

I used to get drivers rolling their eyes all the time when I got on at the Cricket Ground in Chester and said, 'Chester, please'. The typical response was, 'bloody hell - you're in Chester!'.

(07 Oct 2014, 6:13 pm)Marcus I used to get drivers rolling their eyes all the time when I got on at the Cricket Ground in Chester and said, 'Chester, please'. The typical response was, 'bloody hell - you're in Chester!'.

My school is within walking distance of Park Lane (indeed I walk to and from town to get food at about 13:00 most days), but if I see a bus coming up the road when I get to the corner, I get the bus.
I want to get from A-B as fast as possible, so if there isn't a bus coming up the road, I don't tend to risk having to wait around and miss a tight connection in Park Lane when I'm capable of walking it and getting there just in time.
Don't need a driver reminding me of my laziness though - unless it's being done in a jokey manner!  Tongue

RE: Customer Service thread - Michael - 07 Oct 2014

(07 Oct 2014, 4:08 pm)Dan Sent an e-mail off to Go North East this afternoon after an experience with a rather rude driver, of whom tutted and made a remark about me using the 60 service for such a short journey. Also mentioned the removal of the external smart card readers and how only a couple of Deptford vehicles have had them removed, leaving customers confused as to which reader they should be using to scan their smart cards.

Since i got my pass from the uni, iv'e got more lazier by doing small journeys, lets say... Chester road to Somerset road or the 4 from concord to Usworth college haha 

RE: Customer Service thread - Adrian - 07 Oct 2014

(07 Oct 2014, 4:08 pm)Dan @aureolin - have you had an answer from Arriva yet?

Nope. I did have a couple of missed calls from their geographical number, despite requesting a response in writing. I do like that they attempt to pick up the phone and informally resolve the issue, but it's a bit too late in the day for my liking. It's the sort of thing you do in the first couple of days! And not to people who specifically state a medium for response.

(07 Oct 2014, 7:22 pm)aureolin Nope. I did have a couple of missed calls from their geographical number, despite requesting a response in writing. I do like that they attempt to pick up the phone and informally resolve the issue, but it's a bit too late in the day for my liking. It's the sort of thing you do in the first couple of days! And not to people who specifically state a medium for response.

When I sent my complaint about the X93, I got the same. They eventually left a voicemail, asking me to get back in touch with them quoting a reference number.

If my memory serves, I also requested a response by e-mail as I was busy with school (possibly during or near exam time), but still got the phone call...

RE: Customer Service thread - Adrian - 07 Oct 2014

(07 Oct 2014, 7:25 pm)Dan When I sent my complaint about the X93, I got the same. They eventually left a voicemail, asking me to get back in touch with them quoting a reference number.

If my memory serves, I also requested a response by e-mail as I was busy with school (possibly during or near exam time), but still got the phone call...

Aye, they keep trying to with me. I've been quite honest with them in the reason I want a written response, because I want something to refer to if it happens again.

RE: Customer Service thread - Andreos1 - 13 Oct 2014

I had meant to post this over the weekend, but completely forgot.
Although it isn't concerning an operator in the NE, it certainly shows how far they need to go.

I have used Brylaine on two different occasions now and have been impressed with them for a number of reasons.
The quick reply when emailing them regarding fares and their attitude towards passengers.

Last week, saw a major road into Woodhall Spa closed. It was supposed to be three days, but delays meant the closure ran onto the fourth day.
Despite the lengthy diversion and inevitable delays, drivers were still going out of their way to advise passengers of the closure and the shuttle bus that was to be used between Woodhall and Tattershall Market Place.

On the one Boston run of the day from Woodhall on Thursday morning, the driver was stopping at southbound stops, reminding Lincoln bound passengers on the opposite side of the road, of the closure and lack of through buses.
He advised them of the shuttle, waited as they crossed roads and took them to Tattershall.

Another driver on a late Boston run from Lincoln, got in touch with control regarding passengers he was dropping at Tattershall. The shuttle bus had ended for the day, but he was authorised to divert on a 12mile round trip to drop passengers off.

I got on a Lincoln bound bus at the end of the day, intending to get off at Tattershall for the connecting shuttle - to find the driver excuse the fare (was only a short ride).

The Kier 65 from Sleaford to Horncastle also diverted into Woodhall on at least one occasion to help passengers out too.

I appreciate the firm are quite small, but would you find any of our local companies doing these things?
If operators are glowing in their Passenger Focus results and believe they are the be all and end all of how customers perceive the company - maybe it is time they sample someone like Brylaine, who don't just rely on Passenger Focus to get their heads patted and given a 'well done' sticker.

The latest post re Leven Valley and Jimmi's experiences, just seem to back up what I say, about the independents being bothered and acting on feedback too.

RE: Customer Service thread - Andreos1 - 07 Nov 2014

Two perspectives on social media in the passenger transport sector.

One from an analytical/critical perspectivehttp://mhdmovingpeople.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/is-social-media-right-for-public.html?m=1
and another from one of our local operators, defending their use of social media  http://gonortheast.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/is-social-media-right-for-buses.html?m=1

RE: Customer Service thread - Dan - 09 Nov 2014

(07 Nov 2014, 10:34 pm)Andreos1 Two perspectives on social media in the passenger transport sector.

I thought the article from 'moving people' was quite an interesting read and brought up some very valid points, though I wish Go North East had actually challenged the points made in their blog.

I too have often wondered about the ability to have more service-specific posts so that people can follow updates that affect them easily. In fact, Go North East has the structure in place to do this already - they have hashtags for their branded services '#citylink58, #fab56, #blaydonracers' etc, though these are only occasionally used. What's more, customers very rarely use these hashtags (despite stickers being placed on a lot of the 'better' routes to advertise the hashtags and the hashtags being noted on the brand page on GNE's website). For customers to start using the hashtags, I think Go North East needs to be a little bit more proactive when opportunities arise for the hashtags to be used too. Their Northern Rail example is very good though as I follow Northern Rail on Twitter and regularly see updates from Manchester etc when I'm only interested in the train services within the North East the majority of the time.

Although Go North East challenged 'moving people' with regards to no public transport operators offering a phone app giving automatic service updates, I honestly don't think Go North East's app is updated enough to reflect the actual service status (has anyone seen the app showing anything besides 'GOOD SERVICE'?) With the upcoming implementation of AVL, I wonder if it would be possible to link the two up together so that this is more reliable (ie if more than 3 Fab56 buses go over 5 minutes late then alarm bells start ringing and you can click 'OK SERVICE' to find out which services in particular are delayed)?

Have to agree with the point made in regards to customers complaints being on the public domain - though I'd actually argue this could potentially have benefits (to customers) too, with complaints standing a higher chance of delivering results... I'm thinking about the Consett cyclist video which was discussed a few months ago: I think it's fairly obvious that the driver would have received a final written warning (or at worst given the boot) for this incident. Would the result have been the same if this incident was reported by e-mail and it didn't attract so much attention? I think Kevin Carr himself provided a quote for one newspaper? I'm not trying to question the company's disciplinary methods, but I think with anything, it's easier to brush it over and give someone a slap on the back of the wrist if it's kept between just a few people.

I think the main thing which bugs me about Social Media is professionalism. As a company, it's so easy to look unprofessional on Social Media: if you make a spelling mistake, get information wrong or allow your own opinions to be conveyed in messages where you're representing the company. I think we've seen all of these things since our public transport operators started using Social Media, but it's something that needs to be avoided as much as possible.

Technology for the transport industry is constantly evolving and every day new opportunities arise for public transport operators to develop. Go North East's upcoming developments - which we have already discussed - are very interesting and could potentially revolutionise public transport within the North East, if it's done correctly. I believe Go North East has always been the first operator in the North East to try out new technology (Wi-Fi, power sockets, white LED destinations, etc) but have been slow with the introduction of real time technology. I have said previously that I think the time without such technology has allowed Go North East to enhance what it will be offering and 'fix' some of the things which could have been better in Arriva's similar technology. Stagecoach is well behind, with the implementation of Wi-Fi still being considered to be 'new' (indeed something which has influenced the branding of vehicles) and their presence on Social Media still being somewhat limited.