Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Mobile Apps

Mobile Apps

Mobile Apps

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adrian

03 Nov 2013, 3:52 pm #1
Has anyone much experience with any operators' mobile apps or m-Ticketing?

I've started using the Arriva m-Ticket app, simply because their smart-card rollout hasn't reached the North East yet. I use the app on my Android handset, and found it a little buggy at first. An update later though and it's much more stable.

I do find the interface of it really unfriendly, and think it could be dramatically improved. It also doesn't give you any information about the ticket(s) you're about to purchase, so you've got to have a knowledge of the area (or ask somebody) to know what you're buying. For example, someone wanting a Durham ticket would need to know if they need a City, District or County ticket.

The other gripes I have about it is that the time-out for contacting the server is too long, so if you have poor reception, it can take a time-out until your ticket appears on your phone screen. I tend to have to use 'airplane' mode as a workaround for this, to invoke an instant time-out - which is fine as long as your ticket is already activated. Also if you knock the screen, it goes back to your ticket list. A bit of an annoyance when you've got to hold the phone screen to someone else rather than yourself (i.e. showing the driver).

I had used the Go North East m-Ticket app for the first time today. The interface is very user friendly, It's easy to navigate and no fuss to make a purchase. Again though, you need to know exactly what you want in order to make a purchase. Buzzfares, as you'd expect, give the user the option to purchase which colours they need. There is absolutely no indication of which colours serve which areas though, nor is there a zonal map within the application. It'd be something reletavely straight forward to implement, so I don't know why either operator doesn't provide this info within their apps?

On the Go North East m-Ticket app, I also notice I have the ability to go and purchase a Get Around day ticket. At no point does it prompt me that I need a valid smart-card to use a Get Around m-Ticket, nor does it provide this information within the app. It's only after I've searched around, and found this page. A bit of a bizarre decision if you ask me. What's the point of buying an m-Ticket when you could just purchase it on the card you need to carry about anyway?

Moving on to Go North East's 'Key Mobile' app. I've had this pretty much since the launch, and have seen it develop over time. I find it looks and works better on Android rather than iOS. It's very easy to use on both, and provides a lot of information. I assume something is going to be implemented with the 'Good Service' indicators, as it doesn't appear to change regardless of a service being affected?

I understand Arriva have brought a bus app out for iOS too. The Android one is due soon, so I haven't tried this for myself. Has anyone tried it on an iPhone?

Do Stagecoach have any apps? I couldn't seem to find any info of any?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Nov 2013, 3:52 pm #1

Has anyone much experience with any operators' mobile apps or m-Ticketing?

I've started using the Arriva m-Ticket app, simply because their smart-card rollout hasn't reached the North East yet. I use the app on my Android handset, and found it a little buggy at first. An update later though and it's much more stable.

I do find the interface of it really unfriendly, and think it could be dramatically improved. It also doesn't give you any information about the ticket(s) you're about to purchase, so you've got to have a knowledge of the area (or ask somebody) to know what you're buying. For example, someone wanting a Durham ticket would need to know if they need a City, District or County ticket.

The other gripes I have about it is that the time-out for contacting the server is too long, so if you have poor reception, it can take a time-out until your ticket appears on your phone screen. I tend to have to use 'airplane' mode as a workaround for this, to invoke an instant time-out - which is fine as long as your ticket is already activated. Also if you knock the screen, it goes back to your ticket list. A bit of an annoyance when you've got to hold the phone screen to someone else rather than yourself (i.e. showing the driver).

I had used the Go North East m-Ticket app for the first time today. The interface is very user friendly, It's easy to navigate and no fuss to make a purchase. Again though, you need to know exactly what you want in order to make a purchase. Buzzfares, as you'd expect, give the user the option to purchase which colours they need. There is absolutely no indication of which colours serve which areas though, nor is there a zonal map within the application. It'd be something reletavely straight forward to implement, so I don't know why either operator doesn't provide this info within their apps?

On the Go North East m-Ticket app, I also notice I have the ability to go and purchase a Get Around day ticket. At no point does it prompt me that I need a valid smart-card to use a Get Around m-Ticket, nor does it provide this information within the app. It's only after I've searched around, and found this page. A bit of a bizarre decision if you ask me. What's the point of buying an m-Ticket when you could just purchase it on the card you need to carry about anyway?

Moving on to Go North East's 'Key Mobile' app. I've had this pretty much since the launch, and have seen it develop over time. I find it looks and works better on Android rather than iOS. It's very easy to use on both, and provides a lot of information. I assume something is going to be implemented with the 'Good Service' indicators, as it doesn't appear to change regardless of a service being affected?

I understand Arriva have brought a bus app out for iOS too. The Android one is due soon, so I haven't tried this for myself. Has anyone tried it on an iPhone?

Do Stagecoach have any apps? I couldn't seem to find any info of any?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Mobile Apps - by Adrian - 03 Nov 2013, 3:52 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by CatsFast101 - 03 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by Adrian - 03 Nov 2013, 5:25 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by Adrian - 17 Nov 2013, 11:34 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by tyresmoke - 18 Nov 2013, 8:06 am
RE: Mobile Apps - by gtom - 18 Nov 2013, 11:05 am
Re: RE: Mobile Apps - by Adrian - 18 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by gtom - 18 Nov 2013, 12:40 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by GuyParkRoyal - 19 Nov 2013, 7:58 pm