Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Order Predictions

Arriva North East: Order Predictions

Arriva North East: Order Predictions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (10): Previous 1 2 3 410 Next
04 Nov 2017, 10:24 am
That would be good but there's not long left of the 6.7Litre Cummins Engine as they don't have it in Euro 6.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
JamesDunkley
04 Nov 2017, 10:24 am #41

That would be good but there's not long left of the 6.7Litre Cummins Engine as they don't have it in Euro 6.

04 Nov 2017, 3:36 pm
(04 Nov 2017, 10:24 am)JamesDunkley That would be good but there's not long left of the 6.7Litre Cummins Engine as they don't have it in Euro 6.

They do have the 6.7 Cummins Engine in Euro 6.

ADL have them in the E400MMC and EnsignBus / BCI also use them in the Excellence.
L469 YVK
04 Nov 2017, 3:36 pm #42

(04 Nov 2017, 10:24 am)JamesDunkley That would be good but there's not long left of the 6.7Litre Cummins Engine as they don't have it in Euro 6.

They do have the 6.7 Cummins Engine in Euro 6.

ADL have them in the E400MMC and EnsignBus / BCI also use them in the Excellence.

04 Nov 2017, 4:18 pm
Well the pulsar we're on has just conked out by Gilesgate roundabout (revving and not getting anywhere, after jerking like a Streetlite, a bit back) do they're not infallible, either.
BusLoverMum
04 Nov 2017, 4:18 pm #43

Well the pulsar we're on has just conked out by Gilesgate roundabout (revving and not getting anywhere, after jerking like a Streetlite, a bit back) do they're not infallible, either.

04 Nov 2017, 4:53 pm
(04 Nov 2017, 4:18 pm)BusLoverMum Well the pulsar we're on has just conked out by Gilesgate roundabout (revving and not getting anywhere, after jerking like a Streetlite, a bit back) do they're not infallible, either.

Honestly? Every bus is going to break down at some point, given the amount of miles they do.

(03 Nov 2017, 5:38 am)Dan I'm not sure what relevance the X18/X20 has to this debate. The timetable for these services have not been designed with a bus sitting at 50mph in mind: they've been built in the knowledge that a bus that can exceed this speed will be allocated. Of course a Streetlite, limited to 50mph, would not be able to keep to time on these routes.

The X18/X20 have relevance as part of the initial discussion was regarding Omni replacement. 4653/9/64 are allocated to these routes, and as such will need a suitable replacement, as per my initial point.
mb134
04 Nov 2017, 4:53 pm #44

(04 Nov 2017, 4:18 pm)BusLoverMum Well the pulsar we're on has just conked out by Gilesgate roundabout (revving and not getting anywhere, after jerking like a Streetlite, a bit back) do they're not infallible, either.

Honestly? Every bus is going to break down at some point, given the amount of miles they do.

(03 Nov 2017, 5:38 am)Dan I'm not sure what relevance the X18/X20 has to this debate. The timetable for these services have not been designed with a bus sitting at 50mph in mind: they've been built in the knowledge that a bus that can exceed this speed will be allocated. Of course a Streetlite, limited to 50mph, would not be able to keep to time on these routes.

The X18/X20 have relevance as part of the initial discussion was regarding Omni replacement. 4653/9/64 are allocated to these routes, and as such will need a suitable replacement, as per my initial point.

Dan
Site Administrator
04 Nov 2017, 4:59 pm
(04 Nov 2017, 4:53 pm)mb134 Honestly? Every bus is going to break down at some point, given the amount of miles they do.

Is that not BLM's exact point?

We've gone to great length in suggesting that Streetlites are terrible buses which breakdown. But in reality, as you say, every bus is going to incur faults, be off the road, etc, at one point or another.

In this instance; it's not a Streetlite which has broken down, but a Pulsar.
Dan
04 Nov 2017, 4:59 pm #45

(04 Nov 2017, 4:53 pm)mb134 Honestly? Every bus is going to break down at some point, given the amount of miles they do.

Is that not BLM's exact point?

We've gone to great length in suggesting that Streetlites are terrible buses which breakdown. But in reality, as you say, every bus is going to incur faults, be off the road, etc, at one point or another.

04 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm
(04 Nov 2017, 4:59 pm)Dan Is that not BLM's exact point?

So, can we expect a "Look, it isn't just Streetlites that break down" post every time a bus breaks down now?
mb134
04 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm #46

So, can we expect a "Look, it isn't just Streetlites that break down" post every time a bus breaks down now?

04 Nov 2017, 5:28 pm

My point exactly.

(04 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm)mb134 So, can we expect a "Look, it isn't just Streetlites that break down" post every time a bus breaks down now?

No, but the current dialogue seems to be singling them out as unreliable and the worst buses ever.
BusLoverMum
04 Nov 2017, 5:28 pm #47

My point exactly.

(04 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm)mb134 So, can we expect a "Look, it isn't just Streetlites that break down" post every time a bus breaks down now?

No, but the current dialogue seems to be singling them out as unreliable and the worst buses ever.

04 Nov 2017, 8:28 pm
Oh right, didn't know that, Wright should do that then instead of using a 5 litre Engine in a double decker with a four speed Voith Gearbox.

JamesDunkley
04 Nov 2017, 8:28 pm #48

Oh right, didn't know that, Wright should do that then instead of using a 5 litre Engine in a double decker with a four speed Voith Gearbox.

04 Nov 2017, 10:18 pm
Again there was 2 examples of the x1 again today. There is only 5 streetlites which go to Darlington depot compared to 21 pulsars which are older how ever the streetlites are in the pits more often and get towed back to the depot more often. I can remember Ian Bradley saying that it was the second arriva streetlite he had towed back to different depots that day, I have 1590 & 1593 being towed on YouTube. Even the engineers at Darlington depot said that the streetlites are the most unreliable vehicles they have ever dealt with.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
DanielS15
04 Nov 2017, 10:18 pm #49

Again there was 2 examples of the x1 again today. There is only 5 streetlites which go to Darlington depot compared to 21 pulsars which are older how ever the streetlites are in the pits more often and get towed back to the depot more often. I can remember Ian Bradley saying that it was the second arriva streetlite he had towed back to different depots that day, I have 1590 & 1593 being towed on YouTube. Even the engineers at Darlington depot said that the streetlites are the most unreliable vehicles they have ever dealt with.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

04 Nov 2017, 10:27 pm
And there are 28 solos at Darlington and none of them were of today.

JamesDunkley
04 Nov 2017, 10:27 pm #50

And there are 28 solos at Darlington and none of them were of today.

04 Nov 2017, 10:41 pm
(04 Nov 2017, 10:27 pm)JamesDunkley And there are 28 solos at Darlington and none of them were of today.

Now solos give the impression of rusting to bits before they terminally break, a bit like Toyotas, but Optare obviously don't always get it right - look at the Versas!
BusLoverMum
04 Nov 2017, 10:41 pm #51

(04 Nov 2017, 10:27 pm)JamesDunkley And there are 28 solos at Darlington and none of them were of today.

Now solos give the impression of rusting to bits before they terminally break, a bit like Toyotas, but Optare obviously don't always get it right - look at the Versas!

05 Nov 2017, 11:40 am
Maybe I'm opening a can of worms... But how would we all compare a Streetlight with say... A Guy Wulfrunian or a Seddon Pennine RU?
tcts24
05 Nov 2017, 11:40 am #52

Maybe I'm opening a can of worms... But how would we all compare a Streetlight with say... A Guy Wulfrunian or a Seddon Pennine RU?

05 Nov 2017, 12:30 pm
(05 Nov 2017, 11:40 am)tcts24 Maybe I'm opening a can of worms... But how would we all compare a Streetlight with say... A Guy Wulfrunian or a Seddon Pennine RU?

An interesting piece on the Guy.

https://www.aronline.co.uk/facts-and-fig...ulfrunian/

I've definitely not ridden one.

Struggling with the RU. I know Darlington had some, but wasnt sure if OK acquired any.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
05 Nov 2017, 12:30 pm #53

(05 Nov 2017, 11:40 am)tcts24 Maybe I'm opening a can of worms... But how would we all compare a Streetlight with say... A Guy Wulfrunian or a Seddon Pennine RU?

An interesting piece on the Guy.

Struggling with the RU. I know Darlington had some, but wasnt sure if OK acquired any.

05 Nov 2017, 1:25 pm
(05 Nov 2017, 12:30 pm)Andreos1 An interesting piece on the Guy.

OK took a Pennine 7 (EBR850S) IN 1978, having checked the fleet history it was the only Seddon they ever had. Darlington on the other hand developed a habbit of buying naff buses eg. Daimler Roadliner, Seddon Penine RU, single deck Dennis Dominator and of course the infamous Ward Dalesman! It would be interesting to see if theres anyone on here old enough to remember some of these buses and can compare them to Solos and Streetlites of today. My native Hartlepool had RU demonstrator HBU451J on loan in 1972. We also had the single deck Dominators but had the good sense to get rid of them in favour of REs a decade older. I'm 35 and I barely remember our Dominators so I can't really pass judgement. I do however remember the rather dire Wadham Stringer bodied Dennis Falcons Hartlepool had. At the time, they were among the younger buses we had available in the town (including much of the Tees fleet) so didn't seem all that bad as a customer. In hind sight though, I'd take a Streetlite any day!
tcts24
05 Nov 2017, 1:25 pm #54

(05 Nov 2017, 12:30 pm)Andreos1 An interesting piece on the Guy.

OK took a Pennine 7 (EBR850S) IN 1978, having checked the fleet history it was the only Seddon they ever had. Darlington on the other hand developed a habbit of buying naff buses eg. Daimler Roadliner, Seddon Penine RU, single deck Dennis Dominator and of course the infamous Ward Dalesman! It would be interesting to see if theres anyone on here old enough to remember some of these buses and can compare them to Solos and Streetlites of today. My native Hartlepool had RU demonstrator HBU451J on loan in 1972. We also had the single deck Dominators but had the good sense to get rid of them in favour of REs a decade older. I'm 35 and I barely remember our Dominators so I can't really pass judgement. I do however remember the rather dire Wadham Stringer bodied Dennis Falcons Hartlepool had. At the time, they were among the younger buses we had available in the town (including much of the Tees fleet) so didn't seem all that bad as a customer. In hind sight though, I'd take a Streetlite any day!

05 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm

(05 Nov 2017, 1:25 pm)tcts24 OK took a Pennine 7 (EBR850S) IN 1978, having checked the fleet history it was the only Seddon they ever had. Darlington on the other hand developed a habbit of buying naff buses eg. Daimler Roadliner, Seddon Penine RU, single deck Dennis Dominator and of course the infamous Ward Dalesman! It would be interesting to see if theres anyone on here old enough to remember some of these buses and can compare them to Solos and Streetlites of today. My native Hartlepool had RU demonstrator HBU451J on loan in 1972. We also had the single deck Dominators but had the good sense to get rid of them in favour of REs a decade older. I'm 35 and I barely remember our Dominators so I can't really pass judgement. I do however remember the rather dire Wadham Stringer bodied Dennis Falcons Hartlepool had. At the time, they were among the younger buses we had available in the town (including much of the Tees fleet) so didn't seem all that bad as a customer. In hind sight though, I'd take a Streetlite any day!

Indeed, I don't wish to come running to the defence of the Streetlite, but there's always been some pretty pants buses on the road - we seem to have short memories! 

Did anyone ever look at a Caetano Dart, even when new, and say 'What a wonderfully put together machine!'? Yet GNE dispatched them on the X35 along the Durham coast road for years. The Arriva output from Peterlee wasn't all super-powered Deltas, Scanias and Olympians. They had some Metrobuses and ex-london Leyland Olympians which could have rolled back down Crimdon Dene given half a chance. As for passenger comfort, the olympians had solid plastic benches upstairs (no cushions) which by comparison made Urban 90 seating seem luxurious. I always enjoyed Metroriders for their quirkiness, but gosh their performance varied from stabbed rat to elderly tortoise; plus your average passenger presumably didn't appreciate the absolute lack of luggage space, effectively having to sit of your fellow passenger's knee in the cramped saloon. The clue was kinda in the name with the Metrorider, fine as a short-hop city bus, but I'm not convinced even Optare would have sold them on the premise of being ideal for being ragged up Silent Bank on the 22s. One of my favourite buses from my youth was the Lynx, yet I'd pretty sure I've been on some MK1s where the driver has commended the chassis around a left turn but the body has tried to carry on in a straight line. 

As for the X1, I'm fairly certain the output from Bishop Aukland on the 1/1B around 15 years ago would have been anything that started up in the morning. Where journeys may have not got any quicker, indeed may be slower with a Streetlite allocation, I think the average passenger would agree their bus to work has got become a nice place to sit over the years. The mechanical merits of Wright vs DAF (for example) may be for us enthusiasts to mull over, but when it comes to the general population I think they's keep their Streetlite over a Prestige.
James101
05 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm #55

(05 Nov 2017, 1:25 pm)tcts24 OK took a Pennine 7 (EBR850S) IN 1978, having checked the fleet history it was the only Seddon they ever had. Darlington on the other hand developed a habbit of buying naff buses eg. Daimler Roadliner, Seddon Penine RU, single deck Dennis Dominator and of course the infamous Ward Dalesman! It would be interesting to see if theres anyone on here old enough to remember some of these buses and can compare them to Solos and Streetlites of today. My native Hartlepool had RU demonstrator HBU451J on loan in 1972. We also had the single deck Dominators but had the good sense to get rid of them in favour of REs a decade older. I'm 35 and I barely remember our Dominators so I can't really pass judgement. I do however remember the rather dire Wadham Stringer bodied Dennis Falcons Hartlepool had. At the time, they were among the younger buses we had available in the town (including much of the Tees fleet) so didn't seem all that bad as a customer. In hind sight though, I'd take a Streetlite any day!

Indeed, I don't wish to come running to the defence of the Streetlite, but there's always been some pretty pants buses on the road - we seem to have short memories! 

Did anyone ever look at a Caetano Dart, even when new, and say 'What a wonderfully put together machine!'? Yet GNE dispatched them on the X35 along the Durham coast road for years. The Arriva output from Peterlee wasn't all super-powered Deltas, Scanias and Olympians. They had some Metrobuses and ex-london Leyland Olympians which could have rolled back down Crimdon Dene given half a chance. As for passenger comfort, the olympians had solid plastic benches upstairs (no cushions) which by comparison made Urban 90 seating seem luxurious. I always enjoyed Metroriders for their quirkiness, but gosh their performance varied from stabbed rat to elderly tortoise; plus your average passenger presumably didn't appreciate the absolute lack of luggage space, effectively having to sit of your fellow passenger's knee in the cramped saloon. The clue was kinda in the name with the Metrorider, fine as a short-hop city bus, but I'm not convinced even Optare would have sold them on the premise of being ideal for being ragged up Silent Bank on the 22s. One of my favourite buses from my youth was the Lynx, yet I'd pretty sure I've been on some MK1s where the driver has commended the chassis around a left turn but the body has tried to carry on in a straight line. 

As for the X1, I'm fairly certain the output from Bishop Aukland on the 1/1B around 15 years ago would have been anything that started up in the morning. Where journeys may have not got any quicker, indeed may be slower with a Streetlite allocation, I think the average passenger would agree their bus to work has got become a nice place to sit over the years. The mechanical merits of Wright vs DAF (for example) may be for us enthusiasts to mull over, but when it comes to the general population I think they's keep their Streetlite over a Prestige.

05 Nov 2017, 7:24 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I wondered if they'd any Alexander bodied versions, but can definitely remember a Seddon kicking around.
Despite having a few years head start, I must admit to not really knowing too much about the municipal fleets back then. Certainly not those vehicles which were different to the ones seen with United, Northern etc.

I think what stood out, was that even pre-86, a lot of the 'poorer' builders had gone. 
As an example, Seddon Atkinson went back to doing their HGV work instead.

Even the likes of Dennis concentrated on bin lorries and Fire Engines, until the deal with Alexander came about.

(05 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm)James101

As pointed out above, a lot of the 'poorer' businesses dabbled and then moved on.
Even before Metro Cammel folded, they diversified away from buses (seeing them share their expertise with work on the MK4 ECML coaches and the T&W Metro.
Obviously Optare emerged and used the MCW designs for th MetroRiders and also the Spectra's.

The main players like Leyland stood the test of time and although the Lynxes were never as popular as a National (and never would be even if plated in gold), the organisation lasted beyond 86.

Like Seddon, Wrights had specialised in other areas before becoming involved in buses.
I wonder whether they would have lasted, if the others had withstood the pressures?

A Prestige that's brand new versus a brand new Streetlite? I know what I would choose.
A life-expired Prestige still on front line service versus a life-expired Streetlite? I'm guessing only time will tell.

Andreos1
05 Nov 2017, 7:24 pm #56

Thanks for clarifying. I wondered if they'd any Alexander bodied versions, but can definitely remember a Seddon kicking around.
Despite having a few years head start, I must admit to not really knowing too much about the municipal fleets back then. Certainly not those vehicles which were different to the ones seen with United, Northern etc.

I think what stood out, was that even pre-86, a lot of the 'poorer' builders had gone. 
As an example, Seddon Atkinson went back to doing their HGV work instead.

Even the likes of Dennis concentrated on bin lorries and Fire Engines, until the deal with Alexander came about.

As pointed out above, a lot of the 'poorer' businesses dabbled and then moved on.
Even before Metro Cammel folded, they diversified away from buses (seeing them share their expertise with work on the MK4 ECML coaches and the T&W Metro.
Obviously Optare emerged and used the MCW designs for th MetroRiders and also the Spectra's.

The main players like Leyland stood the test of time and although the Lynxes were never as popular as a National (and never would be even if plated in gold), the organisation lasted beyond 86.

Like Seddon, Wrights had specialised in other areas before becoming involved in buses.
I wonder whether they would have lasted, if the others had withstood the pressures?

A Prestige that's brand new versus a brand new Streetlite? I know what I would choose.
A life-expired Prestige still on front line service versus a life-expired Streetlite? I'm guessing only time will tell.

05 Nov 2017, 7:26 pm

The 22 didn't even consistently have low floor buses until the 61 reg pulsars arrived, about the same time it went half hourly. The 21 did, as that did the Sunderland runs from here, when we moved here 14 years ago and Nexus (or was it still Tyne & Wear PTE?) Obviously insisted on it but I couldn't take bigun into Durham on the bus, once he got too big and wriggly for me to carry because I couldn't physically get on the bus with him and a pushchair and shopping. (I guess if you needed to use a wheelchair, you just went to Peterlee to do all your shopping)

But yeah, a few years on and he liked to take walks to the top of Dunelm Road to see if any buses had broken down, there!
BusLoverMum
05 Nov 2017, 7:26 pm #57

The 22 didn't even consistently have low floor buses until the 61 reg pulsars arrived, about the same time it went half hourly. The 21 did, as that did the Sunderland runs from here, when we moved here 14 years ago and Nexus (or was it still Tyne & Wear PTE?) Obviously insisted on it but I couldn't take bigun into Durham on the bus, once he got too big and wriggly for me to carry because I couldn't physically get on the bus with him and a pushchair and shopping. (I guess if you needed to use a wheelchair, you just went to Peterlee to do all your shopping)

But yeah, a few years on and he liked to take walks to the top of Dunelm Road to see if any buses had broken down, there!

06 Nov 2017, 12:14 am
(05 Nov 2017, 7:24 pm)Andreos1 As pointed out above, a lot of the 'poorer' businesses dabbled and then moved on.

I agree some of the failings of the vehicles mentioned would have been down to manufactures being in terminal decline by the time they left the factory. That said, I think the Northern Counties B10M or ‘Volly Olly’ were fantastically well put together.

Despite being part of Plaxton by 1995, other than the important accessibility issues BLM mentions, the models I mentioned were vastly superior than a Plaxton SPD. Where, as you rightly say, a new Streetlite vs new Prestige may be a close contest for passengers- I must say a new Streetlite has to be more attractive than the Arriva ‘Sunderland Connction’ SPDs of the era.

(05 Nov 2017, 7:26 pm)A BusLoverMum The 22 didn't even consistently have low floor buses until the 61 reg pulsars arrived, about the same time it went half hourly. The 21 did, as that did the Sunderland runs from here, when we moved here 14 years ago and Nexus (or was it still Tyne & Wear PTE?) Obviously insisted on it but I couldn't take bigun into Durham on the bus, once he got too big and wriggly for me to carry because I couldn't physically get on the bus with him and a pushchair and shopping. (I guess if you needed to use a wheelchair, you just went to Peterlee to do all your shopping)

It’s a great point about the human impact allocations have on the everyday user. Mam & dad were in a similar position with 4 kids and no car. There was even one summer that due to an accident I used a wheelchair for a few months - getting very frustrated as my Mam explained we just couldn’t go out as she couldn’t be sure a ‘lo-liner’ would be working on our local route.
James101
06 Nov 2017, 12:14 am #58

(05 Nov 2017, 7:24 pm)Andreos1 As pointed out above, a lot of the 'poorer' businesses dabbled and then moved on.

I agree some of the failings of the vehicles mentioned would have been down to manufactures being in terminal decline by the time they left the factory. That said, I think the Northern Counties B10M or ‘Volly Olly’ were fantastically well put together.

Despite being part of Plaxton by 1995, other than the important accessibility issues BLM mentions, the models I mentioned were vastly superior than a Plaxton SPD. Where, as you rightly say, a new Streetlite vs new Prestige may be a close contest for passengers- I must say a new Streetlite has to be more attractive than the Arriva ‘Sunderland Connction’ SPDs of the era.

(05 Nov 2017, 7:26 pm)A BusLoverMum The 22 didn't even consistently have low floor buses until the 61 reg pulsars arrived, about the same time it went half hourly. The 21 did, as that did the Sunderland runs from here, when we moved here 14 years ago and Nexus (or was it still Tyne & Wear PTE?) Obviously insisted on it but I couldn't take bigun into Durham on the bus, once he got too big and wriggly for me to carry because I couldn't physically get on the bus with him and a pushchair and shopping. (I guess if you needed to use a wheelchair, you just went to Peterlee to do all your shopping)

It’s a great point about the human impact allocations have on the everyday user. Mam & dad were in a similar position with 4 kids and no car. There was even one summer that due to an accident I used a wheelchair for a few months - getting very frustrated as my Mam explained we just couldn’t go out as she couldn’t be sure a ‘lo-liner’ would be working on our local route.

06 Nov 2017, 9:05 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/megaanorak...797465077/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/southlancs/26308327451

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmightycat/6044780311/

Their Pennine 7.

Ask me what I had for tea last night and I will give you a blank look.

However, ask me what OK had working what became the 724 umpteen years ago...

Not sure when the Seddon badge was attached. It appears in the later shots, but not the early ones.

As a side note, the 3rd photo was taken where the Angel is now, just a few years before the road was re-aligned with the A1 being diverted towards Team Valley, rather than through Low Fell.

Andreos1
06 Nov 2017, 9:05 pm #59

https://www.flickr.com/photos/megaanorak...797465077/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/southlancs/26308327451

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmightycat/6044780311/

Their Pennine 7.

Ask me what I had for tea last night and I will give you a blank look.

However, ask me what OK had working what became the 724 umpteen years ago...

Not sure when the Seddon badge was attached. It appears in the later shots, but not the early ones.

As a side note, the 3rd photo was taken where the Angel is now, just a few years before the road was re-aligned with the A1 being diverted towards Team Valley, rather than through Low Fell.

06 Nov 2017, 10:04 pm
The Streetlite is the Ford Fiesta of buses really. Plentiful, affordable, poor ride, little bit rattly but extremely cheap to run and even cheaper to repair.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
06 Nov 2017, 10:04 pm #60

The Streetlite is the Ford Fiesta of buses really. Plentiful, affordable, poor ride, little bit rattly but extremely cheap to run and even cheaper to repair.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Pages (10): Previous 1 2 3 410 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 34
Views 11870
11 Sep 2021, 10:40 am
Last Post by Storx
Replies 16
Views 6068
30 Jun 2021, 9:53 pm
Last Post by Driver9***