Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bus Partnerships (multi-operator)

Bus Partnerships (multi-operator)

Bus Partnerships (multi-operator)

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (5): Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
04 Apr 2023, 11:26 am
(04 Apr 2023, 9:09 am)Unber43 Are SC making a profit?

We'll never know but I wouldn't be surprised for the Northern lot, (it's split between Teesside and the rest) if Newcastle is making a bomb as usual but being dragged down by the rest. South Shields has been a dodgy depot for ages especially since they moved the X34 and E's out the blue in 2019 which are the money makers there.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/stag...elds-96819 - They were talking about 'sustainability' and overheads back then which is never a healthy word to be thrown around.
Storx
04 Apr 2023, 11:26 am #41

(04 Apr 2023, 9:09 am)Unber43 Are SC making a profit?

We'll never know but I wouldn't be surprised for the Northern lot, (it's split between Teesside and the rest) if Newcastle is making a bomb as usual but being dragged down by the rest. South Shields has been a dodgy depot for ages especially since they moved the X34 and E's out the blue in 2019 which are the money makers there.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/stag...elds-96819 - They were talking about 'sustainability' and overheads back then which is never a healthy word to be thrown around.

04 Apr 2023, 11:29 am
Would there be any chance than maybe Newcastle aren't making a profit. Or any profit they are making it being lost from the losses at Shields/ Sunderland & Hartlepool, I wonder if SC may just sack off some of the depots which are lost making e.g Shields, possibly Hartlepool (idk how profitable they're)
Unber43
04 Apr 2023, 11:29 am #42

Would there be any chance than maybe Newcastle aren't making a profit. Or any profit they are making it being lost from the losses at Shields/ Sunderland & Hartlepool, I wonder if SC may just sack off some of the depots which are lost making e.g Shields, possibly Hartlepool (idk how profitable they're)

04 Apr 2023, 12:27 pm
(04 Apr 2023, 11:19 am)Unber43 I thought the 10/11 were every 10/12 mins before the pandemic. 

I wonder if they might change the 3/4 to every 10 mins combined, every 20 mins separately.
Nope, they were every 15. Have a look at the old route map from 2018:
http://web.archive.org/web/2022072617235...018Nov.pdf
F114TML
04 Apr 2023, 12:27 pm #43

(04 Apr 2023, 11:19 am)Unber43 I thought the 10/11 were every 10/12 mins before the pandemic. 

I wonder if they might change the 3/4 to every 10 mins combined, every 20 mins separately.
Nope, they were every 15. Have a look at the old route map from 2018:
http://web.archive.org/web/2022072617235...018Nov.pdf

04 Apr 2023, 8:57 pm
(04 Apr 2023, 11:29 am)Unber43 Would there be any chance than maybe Newcastle aren't making a profit. Or any profit they are making it being lost from the losses at Shields/ Sunderland & Hartlepool, I wonder if SC may just sack off some of the depots which are lost making e.g Shields, possibly Hartlepool (idk how profitable they're)

Who knows, have to wait until the next accounts pretty much. Hartlepool is part of the Teesside company though.

Mind I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Newcastle routes don't do well either. There's some very strong routes like the 38, 39, 40, 62 and 63 but others aren't too strong and have had cuts lately. The 6, 7, 71, 72, 87, X63, X77, X78 and X79 in particular.
Storx
04 Apr 2023, 8:57 pm #44

(04 Apr 2023, 11:29 am)Unber43 Would there be any chance than maybe Newcastle aren't making a profit. Or any profit they are making it being lost from the losses at Shields/ Sunderland & Hartlepool, I wonder if SC may just sack off some of the depots which are lost making e.g Shields, possibly Hartlepool (idk how profitable they're)

Who knows, have to wait until the next accounts pretty much. Hartlepool is part of the Teesside company though.

Mind I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Newcastle routes don't do well either. There's some very strong routes like the 38, 39, 40, 62 and 63 but others aren't too strong and have had cuts lately. The 6, 7, 71, 72, 87, X63, X77, X78 and X79 in particular.

04 Apr 2023, 10:02 pm
(04 Apr 2023, 8:57 pm)Storx Who knows, have to wait until the next accounts pretty much. Hartlepool is part of the Teesside company though.

I wonder if GNE cost cutting may actually be quite strategic as they seem to be the only one making cuts in the past 24 monthsn, especially if they know whats happening with SC, to maybe invest/ buy depots which may not be doing well. Perhaps Shields.
Unber43
04 Apr 2023, 10:02 pm #45

(04 Apr 2023, 8:57 pm)Storx Who knows, have to wait until the next accounts pretty much. Hartlepool is part of the Teesside company though.

I wonder if GNE cost cutting may actually be quite strategic as they seem to be the only one making cuts in the past 24 monthsn, especially if they know whats happening with SC, to maybe invest/ buy depots which may not be doing well. Perhaps Shields.

04 Apr 2023, 10:07 pm
(04 Apr 2023, 10:02 pm)Unber43 I wonder if GNE cost cutting may actually be quite strategic as they seem to be the only one making cuts in the past 24 monthsn, especially if they know whats happening with SC, to maybe invest/ buy depots which may not be doing well. Perhaps Shields.
Wishful thinking.
Economic505
04 Apr 2023, 10:07 pm #46

(04 Apr 2023, 10:02 pm)Unber43 I wonder if GNE cost cutting may actually be quite strategic as they seem to be the only one making cuts in the past 24 monthsn, especially if they know whats happening with SC, to maybe invest/ buy depots which may not be doing well. Perhaps Shields.
Wishful thinking.

05 Apr 2023, 6:03 am

Have a feeling it's more the opposite way round can see GNE pulling out more than anything. 

There's only so much attention GoAhead will give it before they think that's enough.

We don't even know what the new owners are like yet, they could be brutal with loss making areas or might want to really turn it around.
Storx
05 Apr 2023, 6:03 am #47

Have a feeling it's more the opposite way round can see GNE pulling out more than anything. 

There's only so much attention GoAhead will give it before they think that's enough.

We don't even know what the new owners are like yet, they could be brutal with loss making areas or might want to really turn it around.

05 Apr 2023, 7:39 am
I think the issue with Shields depot is, all the services are too frequent basically excluding the 30, X20 and X34. The others are too regular and have more services on long corridors.
For example the 3/4/17/18 all operating from the town centre to West Harton, Boldon Lane, via Stanhope Road.  All services operating every 12 mins giving a bus every few mins for very low numbers of passengers.  This is then complimented with GNE 5 and 50 in addition.

Same with Town Centre to Marsden and the 7/8 every 12 mins with additional services in 10, 11, 12, E1, E2 and E6 all stagecoach.

The service needs to be retained in Shields but perhaps a move back to old timetables of 20/30 min frequencies would be better.  If that means take off the single decks and replace with older double decks being released elsewhere, it may be beneficial.  

At the minute there is not enough passengers to warrant the frequencies and duplicated corridors as regular as they are now
LVK 404L
05 Apr 2023, 7:39 am #48

I think the issue with Shields depot is, all the services are too frequent basically excluding the 30, X20 and X34. The others are too regular and have more services on long corridors.
For example the 3/4/17/18 all operating from the town centre to West Harton, Boldon Lane, via Stanhope Road.  All services operating every 12 mins giving a bus every few mins for very low numbers of passengers.  This is then complimented with GNE 5 and 50 in addition.

Same with Town Centre to Marsden and the 7/8 every 12 mins with additional services in 10, 11, 12, E1, E2 and E6 all stagecoach.

The service needs to be retained in Shields but perhaps a move back to old timetables of 20/30 min frequencies would be better.  If that means take off the single decks and replace with older double decks being released elsewhere, it may be beneficial.  

At the minute there is not enough passengers to warrant the frequencies and duplicated corridors as regular as they are now

05 Apr 2023, 8:47 am
(05 Apr 2023, 7:39 am)ifm001 I think the issue with Shields depot is, all the services are too frequent basically excluding the 30, X20 and X34. The others are too regular and have more services on long corridors.

I don't think thats just a Shields issue. Its also an issue on the A690 with 23/3/4 or more or less the latter two, they serve similar areas both ends and are every 6 mins combined, on top of the 23 aswell, they are more like every 4 mins.

Where as when GNE did it, it was the 55/X20/20 all went to different areas, and 20 went to Shields aswell.
Unber43
05 Apr 2023, 8:47 am #49

(05 Apr 2023, 7:39 am)ifm001 I think the issue with Shields depot is, all the services are too frequent basically excluding the 30, X20 and X34. The others are too regular and have more services on long corridors.

I don't think thats just a Shields issue. Its also an issue on the A690 with 23/3/4 or more or less the latter two, they serve similar areas both ends and are every 6 mins combined, on top of the 23 aswell, they are more like every 4 mins.

Where as when GNE did it, it was the 55/X20/20 all went to different areas, and 20 went to Shields aswell.

08 Apr 2023, 12:27 am
Seen there's a few tweets on Twitter about confusion of ticket acceptance between Arriva & GNE on the Coast Road routes.

Surely if there's any doubt or the QR codes are only set up for paper tickets, drivers should be instructed to radio control (or in Arriva's case switch off and ring control via mobile).

Makes a whole mockery of the partnership. Should be no grey areas, if ticket is valid (whether return / daily/ weekly / monthly / yearly), in date and in the correct zone, it should be accepted, no excuses!
L469 YVK
08 Apr 2023, 12:27 am #50

Seen there's a few tweets on Twitter about confusion of ticket acceptance between Arriva & GNE on the Coast Road routes.

Surely if there's any doubt or the QR codes are only set up for paper tickets, drivers should be instructed to radio control (or in Arriva's case switch off and ring control via mobile).

Makes a whole mockery of the partnership. Should be no grey areas, if ticket is valid (whether return / daily/ weekly / monthly / yearly), in date and in the correct zone, it should be accepted, no excuses!

12 May 2023, 7:43 am
Can’t think of a better place to put this. Seems the bus operators have realised that franchising is an inevitability and are making positive noises about the prospect…

Bus chief open to struggling North East services being put under mayor's control
markydh
12 May 2023, 7:43 am #51

Can’t think of a better place to put this. Seems the bus operators have realised that franchising is an inevitability and are making positive noises about the prospect…

Bus chief open to struggling North East services being put under mayor's control

12 May 2023, 9:17 am
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e-26895174

A change of tune?
12 May 2023, 10:46 am
About time.
idiot
12 May 2023, 10:46 am #53

About time.

12 May 2023, 12:45 pm
(12 May 2023, 7:43 am)markydh Can’t think of a better place to put this. Seems the bus operators have realised that franchising is an inevitability and are making positive noises about the prospect…

This needs to happen sooner rather than later, we're losing services at a concerning rate, mad how it's taken this long for the companies to realise how much they're losing the fight. I wonder if Stagecoach have a similar opinion now with them considering cutting stuff back in Sunderland.
deanmachine
12 May 2023, 12:45 pm #54

(12 May 2023, 7:43 am)markydh Can’t think of a better place to put this. Seems the bus operators have realised that franchising is an inevitability and are making positive noises about the prospect…

This needs to happen sooner rather than later, we're losing services at a concerning rate, mad how it's taken this long for the companies to realise how much they're losing the fight. I wonder if Stagecoach have a similar opinion now with them considering cutting stuff back in Sunderland.

12 May 2023, 1:03 pm
(12 May 2023, 9:17 am)Rob44 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e-26895174

A change of tune?

I wonder if this was why MG was pushed out left? So they could get someone with more favorable opinions on the matter in the driving seat?
streetdeckfan
12 May 2023, 1:03 pm #55

(12 May 2023, 9:17 am)Rob44 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e-26895174

A change of tune?

I wonder if this was why MG was pushed out left? So they could get someone with more favorable opinions on the matter in the driving seat?

12 May 2023, 1:17 pm
Of course they would. It's guaranteed income for them, at a time that they've ran out of ideas and the market is dying a death.

The sad thing is, it should have happened 10 years ago, instead of all the kicking and screaming that changed nothing.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 May 2023, 1:17 pm #56

Of course they would. It's guaranteed income for them, at a time that they've ran out of ideas and the market is dying a death.

The sad thing is, it should have happened 10 years ago, instead of all the kicking and screaming that changed nothing.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

12 May 2023, 2:48 pm
Maybe the new GNE team are actually being more collaborative than the old regime hence the neutral answer compared to the response from MG.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Stagecoach in all this. They operate a relatively good service and are getting dragged down because GNE and ARRIVA lack commercial acumen.

What happens with the alleged ARRIVA withdrawals and how Stagecoach, GNE or whoever react will be very revealing of where current operators stand and how it will compare to their sister operating companies that have reacted pro-activley to similar operator abandonment elsewhere in the UK.

If they effectively chuck the problem back at NEXUS, I can only see thoughts hardening on franchising. North Tyneside would be an interesting test bed. via the back door.

Mind you, given the colossal mess NEXUS made of QCS and the subsequent fallout, I very much doubt they'd be any better
DeltaMan
12 May 2023, 2:48 pm #57

Maybe the new GNE team are actually being more collaborative than the old regime hence the neutral answer compared to the response from MG.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Stagecoach in all this. They operate a relatively good service and are getting dragged down because GNE and ARRIVA lack commercial acumen.

What happens with the alleged ARRIVA withdrawals and how Stagecoach, GNE or whoever react will be very revealing of where current operators stand and how it will compare to their sister operating companies that have reacted pro-activley to similar operator abandonment elsewhere in the UK.

If they effectively chuck the problem back at NEXUS, I can only see thoughts hardening on franchising. North Tyneside would be an interesting test bed. via the back door.

Mind you, given the colossal mess NEXUS made of QCS and the subsequent fallout, I very much doubt they'd be any better

12 May 2023, 2:54 pm
(12 May 2023, 1:17 pm)Adrian Of course they would. It's guaranteed income for them, at a time that they've ran out of ideas and the market is dying a death.

I blame Tim and/or Tom Dodds.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
12 May 2023, 2:54 pm #58

(12 May 2023, 1:17 pm)Adrian Of course they would. It's guaranteed income for them, at a time that they've ran out of ideas and the market is dying a death.

I blame Tim and/or Tom Dodds.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

12 May 2023, 5:17 pm
(17 Mar 2023, 5:38 pm)deanmachine So why have they put the Day Rover/Explorer up so much if they're introducing these? Or is this just bus?

Edit: Just realised it specifies multi-modal, but still, why put up the Rover/Explorer? Driving away passengers before reducing fares seems backwards.

Explorers are also multi-modal since they're also valid on the Metro and Shields ferry
stagecoachfan
12 May 2023, 5:17 pm #59

(17 Mar 2023, 5:38 pm)deanmachine So why have they put the Day Rover/Explorer up so much if they're introducing these? Or is this just bus?

Edit: Just realised it specifies multi-modal, but still, why put up the Rover/Explorer? Driving away passengers before reducing fares seems backwards.

Explorers are also multi-modal since they're also valid on the Metro and Shields ferry

12 May 2023, 6:15 pm
(12 May 2023, 2:48 pm)DeltaMan Maybe the new GNE team are actually being more collaborative than the old regime hence the neutral answer compared to the response from MG.

I wouldn't exactly give Stagecoach much credit either tbh, the rumours in Sunderland sound as grim as anything the other 2 operators have done. Not to mention they've cut as many services in Tyneside than Arriva and GNE (18/32/32A/35/72).

I'm sure Arriva or GoAhead would be able to do exactly what they had if they had the routes Stagecoach have, literally anyone could run them. Especially the 1/12/22/38/39/40/62/63. They're better than any route GoNorthEast and Arriva have combined other than the 21 in Tyne and Wear.

The sad thing is I can't see Nexus doing anything better. The Metro is nothing short of an absolute farce lately and has been for over a decade now. It's just going from one problem to another. Suppose they could bring back absolutely fantasy ideas like Project Orpheus, ironically they run a subsidised service on the only bit built (19).
Storx
12 May 2023, 6:15 pm #60

(12 May 2023, 2:48 pm)DeltaMan Maybe the new GNE team are actually being more collaborative than the old regime hence the neutral answer compared to the response from MG.

I wouldn't exactly give Stagecoach much credit either tbh, the rumours in Sunderland sound as grim as anything the other 2 operators have done. Not to mention they've cut as many services in Tyneside than Arriva and GNE (18/32/32A/35/72).

I'm sure Arriva or GoAhead would be able to do exactly what they had if they had the routes Stagecoach have, literally anyone could run them. Especially the 1/12/22/38/39/40/62/63. They're better than any route GoNorthEast and Arriva have combined other than the 21 in Tyne and Wear.

The sad thing is I can't see Nexus doing anything better. The Metro is nothing short of an absolute farce lately and has been for over a decade now. It's just going from one problem to another. Suppose they could bring back absolutely fantasy ideas like Project Orpheus, ironically they run a subsidised service on the only bit built (19).

Pages (5): Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 3
Views 1117
05 Aug 2023, 3:15 pm
Last Post by Storx