Menu

Pages (60)    147 48 4960   
Micheal Aaron   26 May 2021, 11:54 am
Yea. I've had to show them it's a day rover by another company. Gne have tried to scan it. Arriva have done the same. Pity there isn't a way for the explorer and day rover tickets to scan on other buses
Adrian   26 May 2021, 1:03 pm
(26 May 2021, 11:40 am)tyresmoke wrote All of this would be easily solved by having an ‘Explorer’ logo (or whatever other ticket it is) rather than the operator logo at the top of such tickets. That would cut out 90% of these misunderstandings with drivers.

As a driver myself half of the problem is simply the amount of tickets they have to sell and accept, all with differing rules over times, zones and whatever else you can find to add in!

When I was at Arriva Stockton for example I worked out we sold 27 different weekly tickets on our network. It’s simply impossible to remember all of the different rules for each one!

A simple conversation with most will point out that it’s not an operator specific ticket though. Even better would be to remove the paper ticket completely which is what they have done in West Yorkshire where you can get a day ticket on smartcard which instantly scans on all operators machines with no problem (so far!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The logo is a good idea, but also the ability to scan QR codes on other operators' ticket machines.

I generally use mobile ticketing nowadays, because the GNE app is spot on for it. I've never had any real problems with Explorers or Day Rovers purchased on the app, other than having to wait for Metro staff to finish their conversation before opening the barriers. You get the odd bus driver who asks you to scan it, but never really a problem if you tell them its an explorer on a GNE app.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Charles41   26 May 2021, 7:32 pm
I'm showing my age here but the old scratch card Explorer tickets were clearly recognisable. I used to get one most Saturdays and go all over the North East when I was in my teens. Never had any problems at all.

Charles
Storx   26 May 2021, 10:05 pm
(26 May 2021, 11:40 am)tyresmoke wrote All of this would be easily solved by having an ‘Explorer’ logo (or whatever other ticket it is) rather than the operator logo at the top of such tickets. That would cut out 90% of these misunderstandings with drivers.

As a driver myself half of the problem is simply the amount of tickets they have to sell and accept, all with differing rules over times, zones and whatever else you can find to add in!

When I was at Arriva Stockton for example I worked out we sold 27 different weekly tickets on our network. It’s simply impossible to remember all of the different rules for each one!

A simple conversation with most will point out that it’s not an operator specific ticket though. Even better would be to remove the paper ticket completely which is what they have done in West Yorkshire where you can get a day ticket on smartcard which instantly scans on all operators machines with no problem (so far!).

Must admit I'm dragging this a bit off topic but it's got to be more than that surely?

Tyne and Wear
T&W + Ashington
T&W + Tyne Valley
T&W + Morpeth
T&W + Northumberland
T&W + Blyth
Network One Z1
Network One Z1+2
Network One Z2
Network One Z2+3
Network One Z3
Network One Z3+4
Network One Z3+5
Network One All Zones

There's like 14 on the X12 in Tyne and Wear alone, must admit your lot don't have a clue about the top lot and I don't think whoever sets the ticket machines did either as it used to underpriced by 10p. Don't blame you's not having a clue though especially when they're displayed as YP TW + BH or used to be anyway.

Not surprised at drivers struggling with tickets, it's a godsend having the QR codes tbh rather than trying to explain what that means.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
XUP254F   28 May 2021, 8:48 am
(26 May 2021, 11:54 am)Micheal Aaron wrote Yea. I've had to show them it's a day rover by another company. Gne have tried to scan it. Arriva have done the same. Pity there isn't a way for the explorer and day rover tickets to scan on other buses
The technology must allow it as have come across it in Leicester with the Flexi ticket. It scans correctly across First, Arriva & Centrebus. All 3 companies use Ticketer machines. However this is the only place I have found it to exist.
Ianthegoon   28 May 2021, 9:31 am
(28 May 2021, 8:48 am)XUP254F wrote The technology must allow it as have come across it in Leicester with the Flexi ticket. It scans correctly across First, Arriva & Centrebus. All 3 companies use Ticketer machines. However this is the only place I have found it to exist.

The technology will be able to "read" the 2-D matrix printed on the ticket.  However, it will not have been been provided with an interpretation of that matrix that it can recognise as a ticket - what is needed is for each company's machines to be provided with the coding for a valid multi-operator ticket from the other companies.  I'm sure it can't be difficult; however, it would require co-operation ......
streetdeckfan   28 May 2021, 10:13 am
(28 May 2021, 9:31 am)Ianthegoon wrote The technology will be able to "read" the 2-D matrix printed on the ticket.  However, it will not have been been provided with an interpretation of that matrix that it can recognise as a ticket - what is needed is for each company's machines to be provided with the coding for a valid multi-operator ticket from the other companies.  I'm sure it can't be difficult; however, it would require co-operation ......

With the amount of bragging MG does about how great NEBus is, and how much all the operators work together, I'm surprised something like that isn't already in place!
XUP254F   28 May 2021, 11:06 am
(28 May 2021, 9:31 am)Ianthegoon wrote The technology will be able to "read" the 2-D matrix printed on the ticket.  However, it will not have been been provided with an interpretation of that matrix that it can recognise as a ticket - what is needed is for each company's machines to be provided with the coding for a valid multi-operator ticket from the other companies.  I'm sure it can't be difficult; however, it would require co-operation ......
Yes, it requires cooperation.
I was surprised in Leicester to get a the positive bleep when asked to scan the ticket on a different operator to that purchased. I had just shown the driver the ticket on the assumption it would get the negative sound.
Certainly other places like the North East as stated, Manchester System 1, Norwich Fusion, Bournemouth Getting About, W Yorks Metro tickets all give the negative sound when scanned on a different operator where both use Ticketer machines.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   28 May 2021, 2:59 pm
NESTi was supposed to create the smart-ticketing infrastructure to allow this. The site appears to be offline at the moment though - https://www.nesti.org.uk/

BusLoverMum   09 Jun 2021, 6:15 pm
Just followed a link from an arriva email about their current tickets. The pricing is all over the place. I scanned the family ticket prices. You would think the region wide family ticket would be the most expensive at £14 but there are several that cost more, for example the Durham District family ticket at £15.50
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/floating-pag...urce=email&utm_medium=challenger_orange_cta&utm_campaign=WHFY

I do like the idea of the duo tickets, mind.
Adrian   09 Jun 2021, 6:30 pm
(09 Jun 2021, 6:15 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Just followed a link from an arriva email about their current tickets. The pricing is all over the place. I scanned the family ticket prices. You would think the region wide family ticket would be the most expensive at £14 but there are several that cost more, for example the  Durham District family ticket at £15.50
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/floating-pag...urce=email&utm_medium=challenger_orange_cta&utm_campaign=WHFY

I do like the idea of the duo tickets, mind.

Odd! Pay more to travel across a smaller area... Same with Durham City and the Durham City and Brandon ticket. It's almost double the price without Brandon! 

I think they've completely over complicated this with the vast range of pricing, but I do like the idea of a reduced price ticket for more local journeys. They'd have been better off sticking to one price for the North East and any local versions capped at one and the same price.

Agree on the duo too. Replicates something available with a railcard.

LVK 404L   16 Jun 2021, 6:36 am
Have I missed this being introduced.

Network One 7 day All Zones Plus.

Valid on all bus services Tyne and Wear, County Durham and Northumberland, along with the Metro and Shields Ferry.
Priced at £34 for 7 days travel.  That's not a bad price now they have extended to cover Tyne and Wear and Northumberland
Info from GNE fares and tickets section on website
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tcts24   16 Jun 2021, 8:13 am
Arriva's East Durham tickets don't make a great deal of sense either. There's the 3 seperate zones and an "all zones" ticket, which you would think covers the same area as the Seaham & Sunderland, Peterlee and Hartlepool zones combined... Yet it doesn't!
Haswell is in the Peterlee zone but not the East Durham All Zones.
streetdeckfan   16 Jun 2021, 9:04 am
(16 Jun 2021, 6:36 am)ifm001 wrote Have I missed this being introduced.

Valid on all bus services Tyne and Wear, County Durham and Northumberland, along with the Metro and Shields Ferry.
Priced at £34 for 7 days travel.  That's not a bad price now they have extended to cover Tyne and Wear and Northumberland
Wait, what?

I can't seem to find that..

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Dan   16 Jun 2021, 9:18 am
(16 Jun 2021, 9:04 am)streetdeckfan wrote Wait, what?

It’s being officially launched next week.

streetdeckfan   16 Jun 2021, 9:25 am
(16 Jun 2021, 9:18 am)Dan wrote It’s being officially launched next week.

Depending on the coverage, that's basically the ticket I've been wanting for years now!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
LVK 404L   16 Jun 2021, 3:25 pm
(16 Jun 2021, 9:04 am)streetdeckfan wrote Wait, what?

Go North Easr Website Homepage.
About
Fares and Tickets
Better than Ever Tickets
Select Network One 7 day All Zones Plus
All info there
streetdeckfan   16 Jun 2021, 4:15 pm
(16 Jun 2021, 3:25 pm)ifm001 wrote Go North Easr Website Homepage.
About
Fares and Tickets
Better than Ever Tickets
Select Network One 7 day All Zones Plus
All info there

Aah, I was being logical and looked under Multi-operator tickets and then Network One.

Of course I'd expect it to be under Better than Ever Tickets!
Adrian   17 Jun 2021, 12:07 pm
Its great value if you're just using it for an odd week. I'd probably get one if I was off for a week, as I'd get my money worth out of it. But as there's no monthly option, it works out a bit pricey at around £152 a month.

Hopefully under Enhanced Partnerships, they can further develop and enhance Network One, rather than just adding on to an aged system. Proper monthly and annual options, a bus only version and perhaps one that integrates with rail too.

I'd also like to see the ability to mix zones too, so you could purchase a Northumberland + Tyne and Wear zones, a County Durham + Tyne and Wear zones, or a Tees Valley + County Durham. Those are more likely options to be commuting journeys, and I'd say those that travel across multiple counties are in their minority.

streetdeckfan   17 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm
(17 Jun 2021, 12:07 pm)Adrian wrote Its great value if you're just using it for an odd week. I'd probably get one if I was off for a week, as I'd get my money worth out of it. But as there's no monthly option, it works out a bit pricey at around £152 a month.

Hopefully under Enhanced Partnerships, they can further develop and enhance Network One, rather than just adding on to an aged system. Proper monthly and annual options, a bus only version and perhaps one that integrates with rail too.

I'd also like to see the ability to mix zones too, so you could purchase a Northumberland + Tyne and Wear zones, a County Durham + Tyne and Wear zones, or a Tees Valley + County Durham. Those are more likely options to be commuting journeys, and I'd say those that travel across multiple counties are in their minority.
Honestly I think £152 a month is a reasonable price.

I was quite happy paying the £110 a month for just GNE (before they separated the X9/X10), and I was probably spending another £20-30 a month in Arriva tickets since the X21 doesn't go back to Tindale after 4pm, and doesn't run at all on a Sunday.

Obviously I'd rather not have to pay for Northumberland since I rarely go there, but once things go back to normal I can see myself getting that ticket regularly.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   17 Jun 2021, 6:54 pm
(17 Jun 2021, 12:07 pm)Adrian wrote Its great value if you're just using it for an odd week. I'd probably get one if I was off for a week, as I'd get my money worth out of it. But as there's no monthly option, it works out a bit pricey at around £152 a month.

Depends where your coming from tbh. I know someone who lives just across the border in Northumberland who used to do Bus / Metro / Bus with 2 different bus companies and the cheapest option for them was a daily explorer ticket which was roughly £45 a week (didn't work 5 days every week with holidays etc) so it's canny discount for him.

Would love to see the zones extended though just to cover the whole area, Tees Valley isn't part of it atm though it's just the NECA area (plus Darlington).

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/buy-tickets/...one/ane024 - Direct link for the Arriva ticket and the operating area.
Micheal Aaron   17 Jun 2021, 7:05 pm
I've always wonder why the explorer ticket doesn't get u futher than Blaydon or Sunderland on the train. As that ticket can get u to Morpeth, Carlisle, Middlesbrough. Places that are used by the Northern Trains
Adrian   17 Jun 2021, 8:12 pm
(17 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Honestly I think £152 a month is a reasonable price.

I was quite happy paying the £110 a month for just GNE (before they separated the X9/X10), and I was probably spending another £20-30 a month in Arriva tickets since the X21 doesn't go back to Tindale after 4pm, and doesn't run at all on a Sunday.

Obviously I'd rather not have to pay for Northumberland since I rarely go there, but once things go back to normal I can see myself getting that ticket regularly.

Is it though? Works out at £5 a day, and for that I'm close to the range where I could park my car for the day. Especially if car sharing with a colleague.

streetdeckfan   17 Jun 2021, 11:09 pm
(17 Jun 2021, 8:12 pm)Adrian wrote Is it though? Works out at £5 a day, and for that I'm close to the range where I could park my car for the day. Especially if car sharing with a colleague.

And how much does that car cost in insurance, tax, fuel etc.?
You could barely get a Corsa on finance for that price.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   18 Jun 2021, 5:28 am
(17 Jun 2021, 11:09 pm)streetdeckfan wrote And how much does that car cost in insurance, tax, fuel etc.?
You could barely get a Corsa on finance for that price.
It's being paid regardless, and the convenience factor comes into play.

Whether you like it or not, buses aren't convenient for the most part. You have a walk either side of the journey, you have to stand around waiting, and during peak times you could be stood for the entire journey.

This is which is why pricing has to be a significant saving, to even so much as interest people in making the switch. If its not, they'll continue using the car, regardless of how many arguments you pitch about insurance, tax and fuel.

Remember that car usage is increasing year on year, and bus usage is declining.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ambassador   18 Jun 2021, 2:52 pm
(18 Jun 2021, 5:28 am)Adrian wrote It's being paid regardless, and the convenience factor comes into play.

Whether you like it or not, buses aren't convenient for the most part. You have a walk either side of the journey, you have to stand around waiting, and during peak times you could be stood for the entire journey.

This is which is why pricing has to be a significant saving, to even so much as interest people in making the switch. If its not, they'll continue using the car, regardless of how many arguments you pitch about insurance, tax and fuel.

Remember that car usage is increasing year on year, and bus usage is declining.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah convenience is king and even a cost saving vs a bus will be dismissed when you consider that factor.

And as shiny bells and whistles as some buses are, there is a perception of bus passengers, public transport in general which puts the general public off. This forum can be somewhat tinted because we enjoy transport but the vast majority of people don't and aren't using it out of choice.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
mb134   18 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm
(18 Jun 2021, 2:52 pm)Ambassador wrote Yeah convenience is king and even a cost saving vs a bus will be dismissed when you consider that factor.

And as shiny bells and whistles as some buses are, there is a perception of bus passengers, public transport in general which puts the general public off. This forum can be somewhat tinted because we enjoy transport but the vast majority of people don't and aren't using it out of choice.

Agreed. Folk with a car will be very unlikely to switch to buses for their commute, and there's a whole host of reasons. Changing weather, poor perceptions, minimal cost difference, huge time differences are just some. I think folk tend to forget on here that cars are also improving in terms of comfort. Heated seats, air conditioning, phone connectivity, and charging (amongst others) are all now commonplace in new vehicles - so realistically who is going to leave that on a drive on a December morning to go and stand for a bus - no matter how much Best Impressions have tarted it up.
omnicity4659   18 Jun 2021, 6:24 pm
(17 Jun 2021, 7:05 pm)Micheal Aaron wrote I've always wonder why the explorer ticket doesn't get u futher than Blaydon or Sunderland on the train. As that ticket can get u to Morpeth, Carlisle, Middlesbrough. Places that are used by the Northern Trains

I believe that journeys within Tyne & Wear are/were subsidised by Nexus, hence the ticket acceptance.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
streetdeckfan   19 Jun 2021, 3:12 am
(18 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm)mb134 wrote Agreed. Folk with a car will be very unlikely to switch to buses for their commute, and there's a whole host of reasons. Changing weather, poor perceptions, minimal cost difference, huge time differences are just some. I think folk tend to forget on here that cars are also improving in terms of comfort. Heated seats, air conditioning, phone connectivity, and charging (amongst others) are all now commonplace in new vehicles - so realistically who is going to leave that on a drive on a December morning to go and stand for a bus - no matter how much Best Impressions have tarted it up.

But what about those who don't already have a car, like myself?
MetrolineGA1511   19 Jun 2021, 5:17 pm
(16 Jun 2021, 6:36 am)ifm001 wrote Have I missed this being introduced.

That would also be an excellent fare for holidaymakers there for 4 days or more.
Pages (60)    147 48 4960