Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team)

2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team)

2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team)

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (143) Previous 13 4 5143 Next
Poll: best team in the north east
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

sunderland
50.00%
Votes 9
newcastle
33.33%
Votes 6
middlesbourgh
0%
Votes 0
hartlepool
0%
Votes 0
gateshead
5.56%
Votes 1
south shields
5.56%
Votes 1
jarrow & boldon roofing
5.56%
Votes 1
other
0%
Votes 0

Total 18 vote(s) 100%
MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

25 Aug 2013, 2:09 pm #61
(23 Aug 2013, 9:00 pm)Andreos1 Some familiar faces, some terrible tight shorts and the Barratt Homes Helicopter!

Massive away following and 24k average home crowds in a season we struggled in after selling Beardsley and Waddle. Who said the crowds came when Keegan came back in 92

I remember those shorts, a eunuch would struggle to fit his lack of body parts in them, just look at the picture of Peter Beardsley I posted back up this thread. I also remember Peter Reid once saying if players wore those today they would be lucky not to be done for indecent exposure, again I refer back to the Beardsley Pic, hahaha Big Grin

As for the crowds prior to KKs return in 1992, am I right in saying that the home game before was only about 14,000 and Keegans first game attracted nearly 30,000
MrFozz
25 Aug 2013, 2:09 pm #61

(23 Aug 2013, 9:00 pm)Andreos1 Some familiar faces, some terrible tight shorts and the Barratt Homes Helicopter!

Massive away following and 24k average home crowds in a season we struggled in after selling Beardsley and Waddle. Who said the crowds came when Keegan came back in 92

I remember those shorts, a eunuch would struggle to fit his lack of body parts in them, just look at the picture of Peter Beardsley I posted back up this thread. I also remember Peter Reid once saying if players wore those today they would be lucky not to be done for indecent exposure, again I refer back to the Beardsley Pic, hahaha Big Grin

As for the crowds prior to KKs return in 1992, am I right in saying that the home game before was only about 14,000 and Keegans first game attracted nearly 30,000

Malarkey

25 Aug 2013, 5:02 pm #62
So Cardiff City have just beat Manchester City 3-2, I would say this is the Biggest Shock in Premier League History
Malarkey
25 Aug 2013, 5:02 pm #62

So Cardiff City have just beat Manchester City 3-2, I would say this is the Biggest Shock in Premier League History

Andreos1

25 Aug 2013, 5:52 pm #63
(25 Aug 2013, 2:09 pm)fozzovmurton I remember those shorts, a eunuch would struggle to fit his lack of body parts in them, just look at the picture of Peter Beardsley I posted back up this thread. I also remember Peter Reid once saying if players wore those today they would be lucky not to be done for indecent exposure, again I refer back to the Beardsley Pic, hahaha Big Grin

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_Newcastle_United_F.C._season The attendances should be in there. I'm on my phone so can't see all of the data.
If I remember right, it was a 3-4 defeat to Charlton. Pretty certain we were winning 3-0 and Robert Lee (playing for Charlton) turned the game.

I can remember attendances did dip that season, compared to ones earlier - with them increasing once Keegan had returned to the 29-30k mark.
Our highest attendance of 30k (capacity at the time) was in a home win versus Sunderland.

The last two games of that season will live long in the memory though.
1-0 at home to Portsmouth, with a goal from David Kelly right at the death and 2-1 away to Leicester. Gavin Peacock scored for us. Steve White equalised near the end of the game (cue a pitch invasion from the Newcastle supporters), then a Steve White og not long afterwards (cue another pitch invasion from Newcastle supporters) - then the final whistle!

Edit: Our average crowd for the 91-92 season, when facing relegation to the 3rd tier of English football for the first time in our 100 year history was 21,148 www.geordietimes.com/2012/10/nufc-v-safcaverage-gates1893-to-2012.html?m=1
Edited 25 Aug 2013, 6:05 pm by Andreos1.
Andreos1
25 Aug 2013, 5:52 pm #63

(25 Aug 2013, 2:09 pm)fozzovmurton I remember those shorts, a eunuch would struggle to fit his lack of body parts in them, just look at the picture of Peter Beardsley I posted back up this thread. I also remember Peter Reid once saying if players wore those today they would be lucky not to be done for indecent exposure, again I refer back to the Beardsley Pic, hahaha Big Grin

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_Newcastle_United_F.C._season The attendances should be in there. I'm on my phone so can't see all of the data.
If I remember right, it was a 3-4 defeat to Charlton. Pretty certain we were winning 3-0 and Robert Lee (playing for Charlton) turned the game.

I can remember attendances did dip that season, compared to ones earlier - with them increasing once Keegan had returned to the 29-30k mark.
Our highest attendance of 30k (capacity at the time) was in a home win versus Sunderland.

1-0 at home to Portsmouth, with a goal from David Kelly right at the death and 2-1 away to Leicester. Gavin Peacock scored for us. Steve White equalised near the end of the game (cue a pitch invasion from the Newcastle supporters), then a Steve White og not long afterwards (cue another pitch invasion from Newcastle supporters) - then the final whistle!

Edit: Our average crowd for the 91-92 season, when facing relegation to the 3rd tier of English football for the first time in our 100 year history was 21,148 www.geordietimes.com/2012/10/nufc-v-safcaverage-gates1893-to-2012.html?m=1

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

25 Aug 2013, 6:23 pm #64
(25 Aug 2013, 5:52 pm)Andreos1 www.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_Newcastle_United_F.C._season The attendances should be in there. I'm on my phone so can't see all of the data.

I remember that Leicester game, was it also Leicester they played the following yearand won 7-1 on the last day
MrFozz
25 Aug 2013, 6:23 pm #64

(25 Aug 2013, 5:52 pm)Andreos1 www.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_Newcastle_United_F.C._season The attendances should be in there. I'm on my phone so can't see all of the data.

I remember that Leicester game, was it also Leicester they played the following yearand won 7-1 on the last day

Andreos1

25 Aug 2013, 6:41 pm #65
(25 Aug 2013, 6:23 pm)fozzovmurton I remember that Leicester game, was it also Leicester they played the following yearand won 7-1 on the last day

Aye, it was Leicester we beat 7-1 at St James. 6-0 up at halftime. Honestly thought we would get into double figures by the time 90 minutes were up.
We ripped into them for that first 45minutes and played some fantastic football.

It didn't spoil what had been a memorable season for anyone young enough to have missed out on the glory years and had to live through the dross that had been generally served up during the 70s, 80s and the 90s.

To be honest, the games during the late 80's upto the late 90's/early 00's with Leicester always seemed to serve up some crackers.
I can remember some 5-4's, 4-3's as well as the 2-1 at Filbert Street in 92 and also this 7-1.
Andreos1
25 Aug 2013, 6:41 pm #65

(25 Aug 2013, 6:23 pm)fozzovmurton I remember that Leicester game, was it also Leicester they played the following yearand won 7-1 on the last day

Aye, it was Leicester we beat 7-1 at St James. 6-0 up at halftime. Honestly thought we would get into double figures by the time 90 minutes were up.
We ripped into them for that first 45minutes and played some fantastic football.

It didn't spoil what had been a memorable season for anyone young enough to have missed out on the glory years and had to live through the dross that had been generally served up during the 70s, 80s and the 90s.

To be honest, the games during the late 80's upto the late 90's/early 00's with Leicester always seemed to serve up some crackers.
I can remember some 5-4's, 4-3's as well as the 2-1 at Filbert Street in 92 and also this 7-1.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

25 Aug 2013, 6:58 pm #66
(25 Aug 2013, 6:41 pm)Andreos1 Aye, it was Leicester we beat 7-1 at St James. 6-0 up at halftime. Honestly thought we would get into double figures by the time 90 minutes were up.

Can you remember the game against Leicester, late 90's or early 00's, can't remember the score, but I do remember Neil Lennon headbutting Alan Shearers boot Big Grin
MrFozz
25 Aug 2013, 6:58 pm #66

(25 Aug 2013, 6:41 pm)Andreos1 Aye, it was Leicester we beat 7-1 at St James. 6-0 up at halftime. Honestly thought we would get into double figures by the time 90 minutes were up.

Can you remember the game against Leicester, late 90's or early 00's, can't remember the score, but I do remember Neil Lennon headbutting Alan Shearers boot Big Grin

Andreos1

25 Aug 2013, 7:17 pm #67
(25 Aug 2013, 6:58 pm)fozzovmurton Can you remember the game against Leicester, late 90's or early 00's, can't remember the score, but I do remember Neil Lennon headbutting Alan Shearers boot Big Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPp0teYYi70&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The story was that the reason he got off with the ban, was because of the upcoming France World Cup and Shearer threatening to retire from International football, if found guilty.
Andreos1
25 Aug 2013, 7:17 pm #67

(25 Aug 2013, 6:58 pm)fozzovmurton Can you remember the game against Leicester, late 90's or early 00's, can't remember the score, but I do remember Neil Lennon headbutting Alan Shearers boot Big Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPp0teYYi70&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The story was that the reason he got off with the ban, was because of the upcoming France World Cup and Shearer threatening to retire from International football, if found guilty.

MurdnunoC

25 Aug 2013, 9:24 pm #68

I remember that day well.

I was at the Metrocentre Bus and Coach Rally wrestling my brother on the Northumbria Bouncy Castle Bus.

Good times!
MurdnunoC
25 Aug 2013, 9:24 pm #68

I remember that day well.

I was at the Metrocentre Bus and Coach Rally wrestling my brother on the Northumbria Bouncy Castle Bus.

Good times!

Half Pint

25 Aug 2013, 10:32 pm #69
Now -8 points for Hearts with a nice 2-1 victory over Aberdeen albeit loosing 2 men to red cards. McHattie (even though he quite clearly won the ball) and Wilson who got sent off AFTER the whistle for turning round to Aberdeen fans and shouting "Get it up ya, ye sheep sh*ggers!"
Half Pint
25 Aug 2013, 10:32 pm #69

Now -8 points for Hearts with a nice 2-1 victory over Aberdeen albeit loosing 2 men to red cards. McHattie (even though he quite clearly won the ball) and Wilson who got sent off AFTER the whistle for turning round to Aberdeen fans and shouting "Get it up ya, ye sheep sh*ggers!"

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

26 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm #70
(25 Aug 2013, 7:17 pm)Andreos1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPp0teYYi70&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He should have been sent off for that, England Captain, what message does it send out. One thing I must say Shearer was quite a cunning and sly player, he got away with a lot, personally I never liked him but, he is probably greatest finisher for many years, he was quite a hard bloke from I have heard, he did, after all stand up to Roy Keane a few times and could give as good as he got

I also remember Uriah Rennie having the audacity to send shearer off at St James' in about 1999 or 2000...

Here is another amusing video I found, for all the Robbie Savage haters, a compilation of Savage being shoved about, the funniest is the Ref decking him at St James'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SLZh_UWzpE
Edited 26 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
26 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm #70

(25 Aug 2013, 7:17 pm)Andreos1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPp0teYYi70&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He should have been sent off for that, England Captain, what message does it send out. One thing I must say Shearer was quite a cunning and sly player, he got away with a lot, personally I never liked him but, he is probably greatest finisher for many years, he was quite a hard bloke from I have heard, he did, after all stand up to Roy Keane a few times and could give as good as he got

I also remember Uriah Rennie having the audacity to send shearer off at St James' in about 1999 or 2000...

Here is another amusing video I found, for all the Robbie Savage haters, a compilation of Savage being shoved about, the funniest is the Ref decking him at St James'

Andreos1

26 Aug 2013, 5:23 pm #71
(26 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm)fozzovmurton He should have been sent off for that, England Captain, what message does it send out. One thing I must say Shearer was quite a cunning and sly player, he got away with a lot, personally I never liked him but, he is probably greatest finisher for many years, he was quite a hard bloke from I have heard, he did, after all stand up to Roy Keane a few times and could give as good as he got

That bit with Savage getting a whacking was on some Premier League clip show a few weeks back on BBC3.

Going back to Shearer, there was also the story where he sparked Keith Gillespie on a 'team bonding trip' to Dublin.
Andreos1
26 Aug 2013, 5:23 pm #71

(26 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm)fozzovmurton He should have been sent off for that, England Captain, what message does it send out. One thing I must say Shearer was quite a cunning and sly player, he got away with a lot, personally I never liked him but, he is probably greatest finisher for many years, he was quite a hard bloke from I have heard, he did, after all stand up to Roy Keane a few times and could give as good as he got

That bit with Savage getting a whacking was on some Premier League clip show a few weeks back on BBC3.

Going back to Shearer, there was also the story where he sparked Keith Gillespie on a 'team bonding trip' to Dublin.

MurdnunoC

26 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm #72
I feel sorry for Shearer. In many ways, he's probably one of the most un-decorated, underachieving players in the history of football. Apart from one Premier League champions medal with Blackburn Rovers (how times change) in 1995, he's really had nothing except from a couple of FA Cup runners-up medals in 1998 and 1999. His career would have been so different if he had decided to sign for Man United instead of Newcastle in 1996. I often wondered if Shearer even thins 'If only...'
MurdnunoC
26 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm #72

I feel sorry for Shearer. In many ways, he's probably one of the most un-decorated, underachieving players in the history of football. Apart from one Premier League champions medal with Blackburn Rovers (how times change) in 1995, he's really had nothing except from a couple of FA Cup runners-up medals in 1998 and 1999. His career would have been so different if he had decided to sign for Man United instead of Newcastle in 1996. I often wondered if Shearer even thins 'If only...'

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

26 Aug 2013, 10:37 pm #73
(26 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm)AdamY I feel sorry for Shearer. In many ways, he's probably one of the most un-decorated, underachieving players in the history of football. Apart from one Premier League champions medal with Blackburn Rovers (how times change) in 1995, he's really had nothing except from a couple of FA Cup runners-up medals in 1998 and 1999. His career would have been so different if he had decided to sign for Man United instead of Newcastle in 1996. I often wondered if Shearer even thins 'If only...'

There is one word to describe Alan Shearer that cannot be used for the majority of players and that is loyal, he came to Newcastle to som things, won f**k all and stuck with them, and all he had to show was the couple of runners up medals. But like I said, he is one of the greatest finishers ever, some have said he may have been wasted at Newcastle, not only was Man Utd in for him, I think some of the top clubs abroad looked at him at some point, but fair play to him for staying up here, he could have had it all if he elsewhere, he is certainly Newcastles greatest ever player and there is about 206 reasons why.

When you think of the greatest English Goalscorers, the first names that come out are Bobby Charlton, Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer
MrFozz
26 Aug 2013, 10:37 pm #73

(26 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm)AdamY I feel sorry for Shearer. In many ways, he's probably one of the most un-decorated, underachieving players in the history of football. Apart from one Premier League champions medal with Blackburn Rovers (how times change) in 1995, he's really had nothing except from a couple of FA Cup runners-up medals in 1998 and 1999. His career would have been so different if he had decided to sign for Man United instead of Newcastle in 1996. I often wondered if Shearer even thins 'If only...'

There is one word to describe Alan Shearer that cannot be used for the majority of players and that is loyal, he came to Newcastle to som things, won f**k all and stuck with them, and all he had to show was the couple of runners up medals. But like I said, he is one of the greatest finishers ever, some have said he may have been wasted at Newcastle, not only was Man Utd in for him, I think some of the top clubs abroad looked at him at some point, but fair play to him for staying up here, he could have had it all if he elsewhere, he is certainly Newcastles greatest ever player and there is about 206 reasons why.

When you think of the greatest English Goalscorers, the first names that come out are Bobby Charlton, Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

28 Aug 2013, 8:19 am #74
Sunderland left it fairly late last night, 2-0 down with 15-20 minutes to go coming back to win 4-2...

I can see Newcastle being humbled by Morecambe tonight
MrFozz
28 Aug 2013, 8:19 am #74

Sunderland left it fairly late last night, 2-0 down with 15-20 minutes to go coming back to win 4-2...

I can see Newcastle being humbled by Morecambe tonight

Michael

28 Aug 2013, 9:24 am #75
I was their...we were rubbish and i think lucky, still want my £10 back haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Aug 2013, 9:24 am #75

I was their...we were rubbish and i think lucky, still want my £10 back haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

28 Aug 2013, 9:33 am #76
Was that bad was it mate...

To think I have predicted you lot win the Capital 1 Cup, I just may have to rethink that now Tongue
MrFozz
28 Aug 2013, 9:33 am #76

Was that bad was it mate...

To think I have predicted you lot win the Capital 1 Cup, I just may have to rethink that now Tongue

Michael

28 Aug 2013, 9:42 am #77
(28 Aug 2013, 9:33 am)fozzovmurton Was that bad was it mate...

MK don's just ran out of steam i think but Wickham played really well when he come on and scored twice, along with Altidore and Johnson.

Second Round 27 August 2013 Sunderland 4 – 2 MK Dons Stadium of Light
17:45 BST

Bamford Goal 7' (MK Dons)
McLeod Goal 55' (MK Dons)
Altidore Goal 78'
Wickham Goal 87', 89'
Johnson Goal 90+6'

Attendance: 18,992 - was expecting more but it was a midweek game and a cup game..

Fan's were getting really frustrated.. what do they expect, its Sunderland! haha

Hopefully this is a good sign and it kicks off our season
Edited 28 Aug 2013, 9:43 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Aug 2013, 9:42 am #77

(28 Aug 2013, 9:33 am)fozzovmurton Was that bad was it mate...

MK don's just ran out of steam i think but Wickham played really well when he come on and scored twice, along with Altidore and Johnson.

Second Round 27 August 2013 Sunderland 4 – 2 MK Dons Stadium of Light
17:45 BST

Bamford Goal 7' (MK Dons)
McLeod Goal 55' (MK Dons)
Altidore Goal 78'
Wickham Goal 87', 89'
Johnson Goal 90+6'

Attendance: 18,992 - was expecting more but it was a midweek game and a cup game..

Fan's were getting really frustrated.. what do they expect, its Sunderland! haha

Hopefully this is a good sign and it kicks off our season

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

28 Aug 2013, 10:12 am #78
Why does Whickham not get more of a chance, if I was him I would have been frustrated for the last 18 month
MrFozz
28 Aug 2013, 10:12 am #78

Why does Whickham not get more of a chance, if I was him I would have been frustrated for the last 18 month

Michael

28 Aug 2013, 11:53 am #79
No idea, hes a decent player

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Aug 2013, 11:53 am #79

No idea, hes a decent player

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

28 Aug 2013, 9:00 pm #80
The next round of the League Cup has thrown up