Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure NESTI / North East Smart Ticketing

NESTI / North East Smart Ticketing

NESTI / North East Smart Ticketing

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
Andreos1

18 Jan 2016, 9:42 pm #21
(18 Jan 2016, 9:34 pm)Adrian It's difficult when you have no data on unique passenger numbers, but if you compare the timescale to that of Oyster. Public rollout in Q1 or 2004, and buses are no longer accepting cash fares come Q3 2014. 

It'll be interesting to see how fast North East SmartZone is rolled out (including P&G fares), compared to the NECA scheme.

I wonder how many people end up with two cards?
POP for Metro, ANE and a couple of GNE services and another for bus trips?

A total farce and yet another example of how the deregulated, fragmented system doesn't benefit the passenger. A rival smartcard offer sums it all up.
I feel too much money has been spent, (both from public and private pots) for one of the systems to pull out now.

London worked so well, due to the integrated setup down there.
I would have been over the moon at POP being even half as quick/successful under a QCS scheme.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
18 Jan 2016, 9:42 pm #21

(18 Jan 2016, 9:34 pm)Adrian It's difficult when you have no data on unique passenger numbers, but if you compare the timescale to that of Oyster. Public rollout in Q1 or 2004, and buses are no longer accepting cash fares come Q3 2014. 

It'll be interesting to see how fast North East SmartZone is rolled out (including P&G fares), compared to the NECA scheme.

I wonder how many people end up with two cards?

A total farce and yet another example of how the deregulated, fragmented system doesn't benefit the passenger. A rival smartcard offer sums it all up.
I feel too much money has been spent, (both from public and private pots) for one of the systems to pull out now.

I would have been over the moon at POP being even half as quick/successful under a QCS scheme.

Adrian

18 Jan 2016, 9:49 pm #22
(18 Jan 2016, 9:42 pm)Andreos1 I wonder how many people end up with two cards?

But the tech is the same? If I set a reader into listen mode, I could register my GNE key card or POP card to unlock doors, use pull printing systems, and all sorts. You have to ask yourself why Nexus haven't added software to the TVMs, that would allow users to register a generic card against their POP account? All it's looking for is a unique ID.

Having said that, I did have some issues when applying for a Brighton & Hove keycard, knowing that I'd need a weekly ticket when down there a few years ago. The database recognised me as a user from another opco, so I was unable to 're-register'. I was also unable to have my GNE card added to the B&H system, despite it not being what I'd envisage a technically difficult process.

There should have been investment in TVM for bus stations, with Nexus acting as a reseller for the three operators, as well as selling Network One and Metro tickets.

I agree the system should have been more linked up, but I don't think that any one party can have the finger pointed at them here.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
18 Jan 2016, 9:49 pm #22

(18 Jan 2016, 9:42 pm)Andreos1 I wonder how many people end up with two cards?

But the tech is the same? If I set a reader into listen mode, I could register my GNE key card or POP card to unlock doors, use pull printing systems, and all sorts. You have to ask yourself why Nexus haven't added software to the TVMs, that would allow users to register a generic card against their POP account? All it's looking for is a unique ID.

Having said that, I did have some issues when applying for a Brighton & Hove keycard, knowing that I'd need a weekly ticket when down there a few years ago. The database recognised me as a user from another opco, so I was unable to 're-register'. I was also unable to have my GNE card added to the B&H system, despite it not being what I'd envisage a technically difficult process.

There should have been investment in TVM for bus stations, with Nexus acting as a reseller for the three operators, as well as selling Network One and Metro tickets.

I agree the system should have been more linked up, but I don't think that any one party can have the finger pointed at them here.

Andreos1

18 Jan 2016, 10:05 pm #23
(18 Jan 2016, 9:49 pm)Adrian But the tech is the same? If I set a reader into listen mode, I could register my GNE key card or POP card to unlock doors, use pull printing systems, and all sorts. You have to ask yourself why Nexus haven't added software to the TVMs, that would allow users to register a generic card against their POP account? All it's looking for is a unique ID.

Surely passengers aren't bothered about the tech?
They just want a card that they can use on whatever form of transport they ise and with whichever operator/s that may be.

From the outside looking in, we are no further forward than we were 5 years ago and we still see people using paper tickets and paper passes.
Despite all the money that has been spent.

Andreos1
18 Jan 2016, 10:05 pm #23

(18 Jan 2016, 9:49 pm)Adrian But the tech is the same? If I set a reader into listen mode, I could register my GNE key card or POP card to unlock doors, use pull printing systems, and all sorts. You have to ask yourself why Nexus haven't added software to the TVMs, that would allow users to register a generic card against their POP account? All it's looking for is a unique ID.

Surely passengers aren't bothered about the tech?
They just want a card that they can use on whatever form of transport they ise and with whichever operator/s that may be.

From the outside looking in, we are no further forward than we were 5 years ago and we still see people using paper tickets and paper passes.

Adrian

18 Jan 2016, 10:13 pm #24
(18 Jan 2016, 10:05 pm)Andreos1 Surely passengers aren't bothered about the tech?

If they just want a single card, then they must be bothered about the tech in one form or another then... I'd prefer to have one card, not three. It makes you wonder why Nexus didn't make allowances for a card that had already been on the market for 4 years? 

I'd say we're a lot further forward. One operator has ceased to sell monthly tickets on a bus, and I can see weekly tickets going the journey in the not too distant future. I agree we're miles behind on P&G technology though.

Adrian
18 Jan 2016, 10:13 pm #24

(18 Jan 2016, 10:05 pm)Andreos1 Surely passengers aren't bothered about the tech?

If they just want a single card, then they must be bothered about the tech in one form or another then... I'd prefer to have one card, not three. It makes you wonder why Nexus didn't make allowances for a card that had already been on the market for 4 years? 

I'd say we're a lot further forward. One operator has ceased to sell monthly tickets on a bus, and I can see weekly tickets going the journey in the not too distant future. I agree we're miles behind on P&G technology though.

19 Jan 2016, 1:24 pm #25
Yeah, the various forms of smartcard in the northeast (pop, key, stagecoachsmart, arriva connect) are all ITSO compliant, so products could be inter loadedacross the platform. For all oyster is held us an example of best practise, I don't believe it's ITSO compliant?
JakeSavage
19 Jan 2016, 1:24 pm #25

Yeah, the various forms of smartcard in the northeast (pop, key, stagecoachsmart, arriva connect) are all ITSO compliant, so products could be inter loadedacross the platform. For all oyster is held us an example of best practise, I don't believe it's ITSO compliant?

Adrian

19 Jan 2016, 2:07 pm #26
(19 Jan 2016, 1:24 pm)JakeSavage Yeah, the various forms of smartcard in the northeast (pop, key, stagecoachsmart, arriva connect) are all ITSO compliant, so products could be inter loadedacross the platform. For all oyster is held us an example of best practise, I don't believe it's ITSO compliant?

I don't think that the present form of Oyster card is ITSO compliant, but last I read is that work was underway to accept ITSO compliant smartcards in the future?

Adrian
19 Jan 2016, 2:07 pm #26

(19 Jan 2016, 1:24 pm)JakeSavage Yeah, the various forms of smartcard in the northeast (pop, key, stagecoachsmart, arriva connect) are all ITSO compliant, so products could be inter loadedacross the platform. For all oyster is held us an example of best practise, I don't believe it's ITSO compliant?

I don't think that the present form of Oyster card is ITSO compliant, but last I read is that work was underway to accept ITSO compliant smartcards in the future?

Andreos1

19 Jan 2016, 3:32 pm #27
(18 Jan 2016, 10:13 pm)Adrian
If they just want a single card, then they must be bothered about the tech in one form or another then...
I'd prefer to have one card, not three. It makes you wonder why Nexus didn't make allowances for a card that had already been on the market for 4 years? 

I bet if you did a straw poll of members on here, they couldn't even tell you what TVM or Itso meant.
Not sure ordinary members of the public would either.
I think that tells you they aren't interested in the technology. It does for me.

With politics meaning they aren't interloaded?
Edited 19 Jan 2016, 3:33 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
19 Jan 2016, 3:32 pm #27

(18 Jan 2016, 10:13 pm)Adrian
If they just want a single card, then they must be bothered about the tech in one form or another then...
I'd prefer to have one card, not three. It makes you wonder why Nexus didn't make allowances for a card that had already been on the market for 4 years? 

I bet if you did a straw poll of members on here, they couldn't even tell you what TVM or Itso meant.
Not sure ordinary members of the public would either.
I think that tells you they aren't interested in the technology. It does for me.

With politics meaning they aren't interloaded?

19 Jan 2016, 10:02 pm #28
Nope - you can load a stagecoach megarider on a go ahead card, etc, precisely because it's ITSO compliant.

Nexus pop has its own difficulties mind...
JakeSavage
19 Jan 2016, 10:02 pm #28

Nope - you can load a stagecoach megarider on a go ahead card, etc, precisely because it's ITSO compliant.

Nexus pop has its own difficulties mind...

tyresmoke

29 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm #29
Might be worth mentioning that Arriva will soon be introducing smartcards on services in East Cleveland - from 20th March apparently. It will be interesting to see what the take up is like.
tyresmoke
29 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm #29

Might be worth mentioning that Arriva will soon be introducing smartcards on services in East Cleveland - from 20th March apparently. It will be interesting to see what the take up is like.

idiot

29 Feb 2016, 3:33 pm #30
Trying Sunderland smart zone this week for the first time!
idiot
29 Feb 2016, 3:33 pm #30

Trying Sunderland smart zone this week for the first time!

Venturego

03 Mar 2016, 8:37 am #31
Surely, by the time  a smart zone is set up for the whole NECA North East region, Personal Bank Contact-less Debit cards should be accepted, as is now happening in TfL London's network, which caps daily amount to best price tickets for journeys completed. I think this will be expected by the public in the very near future
Venturego
03 Mar 2016, 8:37 am #31

Surely, by the time  a smart zone is set up for the whole NECA North East region, Personal Bank Contact-less Debit cards should be accepted, as is now happening in TfL London's network, which caps daily amount to best price tickets for journeys completed. I think this will be expected by the public in the very near future

Michael

14 Jun 2016, 10:37 am #32
People catching a bus in Sunderland can now use the Pop Pay As You Go smartcard for travel in the city.

Stagecoach buses have started to accept the new payment card, launched last year, which can already be used on the Tyne and Wear Metro and Shields Ferry.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/pop-pa...sunderland

If in the wrong place... will a moderator be able to move it

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Jun 2016, 10:37 am #32

People catching a bus in Sunderland can now use the Pop Pay As You Go smartcard for travel in the city.

Stagecoach buses have started to accept the new payment card, launched last year, which can already be used on the Tyne and Wear Metro and Shields Ferry.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

14 Jun 2016, 11:00 am #33
(14 Jun 2016, 10:37 am)Michael People catching a bus in Sunderland can now use the Pop Pay As You Go smartcard for travel in the city.

There has been discussion on the POP PAYG card in the Nesti thread.

Details of services accepting the card: http://www.nexus.org.uk/pop/payg/buses

Andreos1
14 Jun 2016, 11:00 am #33

(14 Jun 2016, 10:37 am)Michael People catching a bus in Sunderland can now use the Pop Pay As You Go smartcard for travel in the city.

There has been discussion on the POP PAYG card in the Nesti thread.

Simmy

17 Jun 2016, 11:57 pm #34
(14 Jun 2016, 11:00 am)Andreos1 There has been discussion on the POP PAYG card in the Nesti thread.

I can see Stagecoach promoting their own offering 'Stagecoach Smart' over POP sadly. Quite a bit of fragmentation in the North East public transport smart card market at the moment
Simmy
17 Jun 2016, 11:57 pm #34

(14 Jun 2016, 11:00 am)Andreos1 There has been discussion on the POP PAYG card in the Nesti thread.

I can see Stagecoach promoting their own offering 'Stagecoach Smart' over POP sadly. Quite a bit of fragmentation in the North East public transport smart card market at the moment

Adrian

18 Jun 2016, 3:14 pm #35
(17 Jun 2016, 11:57 pm)Simmy I can see Stagecoach promoting their own offering 'Stagecoach Smart' over POP sadly. Quite a bit of fragmentation in the North East public transport smart card market at the moment

The commitment from operators has been 'by 2022' when discussing contactless payment. It's crazy that we're 8 years behind London with this, but at the same time arguing that a regulated market would not work...

Adrian
18 Jun 2016, 3:14 pm #35

(17 Jun 2016, 11:57 pm)Simmy I can see Stagecoach promoting their own offering 'Stagecoach Smart' over POP sadly. Quite a bit of fragmentation in the North East public transport smart card market at the moment

The commitment from operators has been 'by 2022' when discussing contactless payment. It's crazy that we're 8 years behind London with this, but at the same time arguing that a regulated market would not work...

Andreos1

06 Jul 2016, 10:51 am #36

Yes, there is a lot of fragmentation unfortunately. Each pot being filled by public funds, with organisations doing their own thing and looking at corporate interests, rather than a joined up approach from the beginning.

http://neconnected.co.uk/pop-along-pay-l...rham-city/
More on Durham P&R accepting POP Card
Edited 06 Jul 2016, 10:57 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
06 Jul 2016, 10:51 am #36

Yes, there is a lot of fragmentation unfortunately. Each pot being filled by public funds, with organisations doing their own thing and looking at corporate interests, rather than a joined up approach from the beginning.

http://neconnected.co.uk/pop-along-pay-l...rham-city/
More on Durham P&R accepting POP Card

Michael

11 Jul 2016, 6:32 pm #37
Hi just a quick question, my Network one pass runs out on the 22nd July, i'm not renewing it because i won't be a student no more so my question is...

Where do i get the Sunderland Smartzone card?, do i just ask the driver for one or does the company have to send you one out?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
11 Jul 2016, 6:32 pm #37

Hi just a quick question, my Network one pass runs out on the 22nd July, i'm not renewing it because i won't be a student no more so my question is...

Where do i get the Sunderland Smartzone card?, do i just ask the driver for one or does the company have to send you one out?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

11 Jul 2016, 6:33 pm #38
(11 Jul 2016, 6:32 pm)Michael Hi just a quick question, my Network one pass runs out on the 22nd July, i'm not renewing it because i won't be a student no more so my question is...

You need a Stagecoach or Go North East smartcard, and you can purchase it on to that. I think you'll have to purchase the initial one online, if it's anything like GNE's system.

Adrian
11 Jul 2016, 6:33 pm #38

(11 Jul 2016, 6:32 pm)Michael Hi just a quick question, my Network one pass runs out on the 22nd July, i'm not renewing it because i won't be a student no more so my question is...

You need a Stagecoach or Go North East smartcard, and you can purchase it on to that. I think you'll have to purchase the initial one online, if it's anything like GNE's system.

Michael

11 Jul 2016, 6:40 pm #39
(11 Jul 2016, 6:33 pm)Adrian You need a Stagecoach or Go North East smartcard, and you can purchase it on to that. I think you'll have to purchase the initial one online, if it's anything like GNE's system.

Alright, i'll have a look about, cheers =)

I think you need to buy the ticket off the company u got the card off, so if i bought it from Stagecoach, it would have to be a Stagecoach bus for the first time and then any company, like you said. 

Thanks =)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
11 Jul 2016, 6:40 pm #39

(11 Jul 2016, 6:33 pm)Adrian You need a Stagecoach or Go North East smartcard, and you can purchase it on to that. I think you'll have to purchase the initial one online, if it's anything like GNE's system.

Alright, i'll have a look about, cheers =)

I think you need to buy the ticket off the company u got the card off, so if i bought it from Stagecoach, it would have to be a Stagecoach bus for the first time and then any company, like you said. 

Thanks =)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

15 Jul 2016, 8:50 pm #40
Hats off to Nexus (and the Royal Mail).

Posted eldest Constantopolous's POP/CAT Card renewal off on Tuesday with a 2nd class stamp.
Got home tonight and the replacement was in my SAE (2nd class too), waiting to be opened.

Is that some sort of record? I was anticipating him being without one between the 31st July deadline and the new one arriving.
Edited 15 Jul 2016, 8:51 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
15 Jul 2016, 8:50 pm #40

Hats off to Nexus (and the Royal Mail).

Posted eldest Constantopolous's POP/CAT Card renewal off on Tuesday with a 2nd class stamp.
Got home tonight and the replacement was in my SAE (2nd class too), waiting to be opened.

Is that some sort of record? I was anticipating him being without one between the 31st July deadline and the new one arriving.

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average