Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure AVL / Real Time Information

AVL / Real Time Information

AVL / Real Time Information

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3
BusLoverMum

17 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm #41
(17 Sep 2015, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 Still no Windows Phone version of the app.
Sales have increased by 32% in the last quarter according to - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft-windo...uk-1507534
Which according to - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news...one-growth, made up 11% of the market over that period.

Granted numbers aren't massive, but there must be some sort of demand for an app by now?

Windows on phones is so stripped down that it can be quite hard to write full functional apps for it, equivalent in capability to the Android and iOS versions. While the market is growing, it's possibly not stable. Of course there's the chicken and egg situation of developers not writing apps for Windows phones because it's not cost effective, but then people don't keep their windows phones because there's hardly any apps for them and the ones that there are are often quite limited.

I did have a windows phone. Replaced it with Android and husband now uses my old phone for testing code!
BusLoverMum
17 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm #41

(17 Sep 2015, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 Still no Windows Phone version of the app.
Sales have increased by 32% in the last quarter according to - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft-windo...uk-1507534
Which according to - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news...one-growth, made up 11% of the market over that period.

Granted numbers aren't massive, but there must be some sort of demand for an app by now?

Windows on phones is so stripped down that it can be quite hard to write full functional apps for it, equivalent in capability to the Android and iOS versions. While the market is growing, it's possibly not stable. Of course there's the chicken and egg situation of developers not writing apps for Windows phones because it's not cost effective, but then people don't keep their windows phones because there's hardly any apps for them and the ones that there are are often quite limited.

I did have a windows phone. Replaced it with Android and husband now uses my old phone for testing code!

BusLoverMum

17 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm #42
(17 Sep 2015, 12:52 pm)Andreos1 At the risk of going off topic.
It frustrated me initially, but with the market growing - then developers by virtue, should be looking to develop an app for a growing audience.
Any organisation not developing an app for a particular device, is at risk of alienating their audience.

Surely it makes sense to roll out a product, to the majority of the passengers (which applies to all operators) and not just a proportion?
Particularly if you are looking to drive traffic and audience participation, in an app that has taken blood, sweat and tears to produce?

Referring you to the above post, but writing for iOS, Android and Windows isn't just a case of simple tweaks between operating systems. Much of the app pretty much needs writing 3 times over - (and in the case of Android, needs to cover the variation between devices - husband has been working on something that turned out not to work properly on Samsung phones, without modification, because of their own idiosyncracies and something else that needed to be re-written for Sony)
BusLoverMum
17 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm #42

(17 Sep 2015, 12:52 pm)Andreos1 At the risk of going off topic.
It frustrated me initially, but with the market growing - then developers by virtue, should be looking to develop an app for a growing audience.
Any organisation not developing an app for a particular device, is at risk of alienating their audience.

Surely it makes sense to roll out a product, to the majority of the passengers (which applies to all operators) and not just a proportion?
Particularly if you are looking to drive traffic and audience participation, in an app that has taken blood, sweat and tears to produce?

Referring you to the above post, but writing for iOS, Android and Windows isn't just a case of simple tweaks between operating systems. Much of the app pretty much needs writing 3 times over - (and in the case of Android, needs to cover the variation between devices - husband has been working on something that turned out not to work properly on Samsung phones, without modification, because of their own idiosyncracies and something else that needed to be re-written for Sony)

Andreos1

17 Sep 2015, 1:28 pm #43
(17 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm)BusLoverMum Windows on phones is so stripped down that it can be quite hard to write full functional apps for it, equivalent in capability to the Android and iOS versions. While the market is growing, it's possibly not stable. Of course there's the chicken and egg situation of developers not writing apps for Windows phones because it's not cost effective, but then people don't keep their windows phones because there's hardly any apps for them and the ones that there are are often quite limited.

Time and time again, Windows users are told by companies, that apps aren't developed, because the demand isn't there.
They're either telling porkies and it is - or as you say, maybe the market is not stable.

Totally agree about the chicken and egg situation.
However, I think both Microsoft and the developers need to up the ante.

I think this article sums it up nicely. Whilst there have been improvements, more needs to be done - http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/windows-phone-apps-fix/

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Sep 2015, 1:28 pm #43

(17 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm)BusLoverMum Windows on phones is so stripped down that it can be quite hard to write full functional apps for it, equivalent in capability to the Android and iOS versions. While the market is growing, it's possibly not stable. Of course there's the chicken and egg situation of developers not writing apps for Windows phones because it's not cost effective, but then people don't keep their windows phones because there's hardly any apps for them and the ones that there are are often quite limited.

Time and time again, Windows users are told by companies, that apps aren't developed, because the demand isn't there.
They're either telling porkies and it is - or as you say, maybe the market is not stable.

I think this article sums it up nicely. Whilst there have been improvements, more needs to be done - http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/windows-phone-apps-fix/

BusLoverMum

17 Sep 2015, 2:58 pm #44
(17 Sep 2015, 1:28 pm)Andreos1 Time and time again, Windows users are told by companies, that apps aren't developed, because the demand isn't there.

It wasn't just the apps that irked me. The browser support was dreadful. So many webpages simply didn't work properly because of the lack of plugins - and there's naff all web developers can do about that.
BusLoverMum
17 Sep 2015, 2:58 pm #44

(17 Sep 2015, 1:28 pm)Andreos1 Time and time again, Windows users are told by companies, that apps aren't developed, because the demand isn't there.

It wasn't just the apps that irked me. The browser support was dreadful. So many webpages simply didn't work properly because of the lack of plugins - and there's naff all web developers can do about that.

Andreos1

17 Sep 2015, 3:14 pm #45
(17 Sep 2015, 2:58 pm)BusLoverMum It wasn't just the apps that irked me. The browser support was dreadful. So many webpages simply didn't work properly because of the lack of plugins - and there's naff all web developers can do about that.

Never had any issues with the browser. Prefer UC Browser over IE like.
Ironic, that due to the lack of apps, I use the webpages for a lot of things.

*tries desperately to get it back to buses*
However HERE Transport, does everything I need it to - apart from tell me where my delayed bus is.
The XC app is a good un too.
The Arriva live page, works like a charm and I never have any issues logging onto the GNE wifi, via their prompts.

Hopefully the operators do wheel out a Windows version of their app, sooner rather than later.

Andreos1
17 Sep 2015, 3:14 pm #45

(17 Sep 2015, 2:58 pm)BusLoverMum It wasn't just the apps that irked me. The browser support was dreadful. So many webpages simply didn't work properly because of the lack of plugins - and there's naff all web developers can do about that.

Never had any issues with the browser. Prefer UC Browser over IE like.
Ironic, that due to the lack of apps, I use the webpages for a lot of things.

*tries desperately to get it back to buses*
However HERE Transport, does everything I need it to - apart from tell me where my delayed bus is.
The XC app is a good un too.
The Arriva live page, works like a charm and I never have any issues logging onto the GNE wifi, via their prompts.

Hopefully the operators do wheel out a Windows version of their app, sooner rather than later.

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm #46
MOD Note: The above posts have been moved from "Go North East: Latest" to this thread on the basis that the generalised discussion is more appropriate here.
Dan
17 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm #46

MOD Note: The above posts have been moved from "Go North East: Latest" to this thread on the basis that the generalised discussion is more appropriate here.

Adrian

17 Sep 2015, 5:10 pm #47

But one thing to consider is that 11% of the market, is not 11% of their users. 

Go North East and Arriva both use Google Analytics to track and report website traffic. I've obviously not seen theirs, but the reporting data Google Analytics provides is substantial. You get a real picture of what devices your users are using, their software (and versions), and so on. If there was a substantial number of users logging on from Windows Phone devices, then they'd instantly have the business case to develop their apps for Windows Phone.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
17 Sep 2015, 5:10 pm #47

But one thing to consider is that 11% of the market, is not 11% of their users. 

Go North East and Arriva both use Google Analytics to track and report website traffic. I've obviously not seen theirs, but the reporting data Google Analytics provides is substantial. You get a real picture of what devices your users are using, their software (and versions), and so on. If there was a substantial number of users logging on from Windows Phone devices, then they'd instantly have the business case to develop their apps for Windows Phone.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

cbma06

17 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm #48
(17 Sep 2015, 11:36 am)Michael Your bus is 3 minutes away...
The Go North East app will soon go up in the world, with some great new features including real time information, timetables and more.

http://gonortheast.blogspot.co.uk/2015/0...-away.html

I wonder if the GNE app will have the live map just like on the Arriva app?.   on the above link where it says like service ** be arriving at such a such bus stop, is this what the timetable says or will it be real time?.

cbma06
17 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm #48

(17 Sep 2015, 11:36 am)Michael Your bus is 3 minutes away...
The Go North East app will soon go up in the world, with some great new features including real time information, timetables and more.

http://gonortheast.blogspot.co.uk/2015/0...-away.html

I wonder if the GNE app will have the live map just like on the Arriva app?.   on the above link where it says like service ** be arriving at such a such bus stop, is this what the timetable says or will it be real time?.

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm #49
(17 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm)cbma06 I wonder if the GNE app will have the live map just like on the Arriva app?.   on the above link where it says like service ** be arriving at such a such bus stop, is this what the timetable says or will it be real time?.

I believe the countdown in numbers is in real time, and if this is not available, the scheduled time is given instead.

I'm not sure how a live map would work on Go North East's app, when it is clear to see they have avoided explicitly stating how late the service is (instead opting for how many minutes it is until the bus is due - ie what most customers care about).
Dan
17 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm #49

(17 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm)cbma06 I wonder if the GNE app will have the live map just like on the Arriva app?.   on the above link where it says like service ** be arriving at such a such bus stop, is this what the timetable says or will it be real time?.

I believe the countdown in numbers is in real time, and if this is not available, the scheduled time is given instead.

I'm not sure how a live map would work on Go North East's app, when it is clear to see they have avoided explicitly stating how late the service is (instead opting for how many minutes it is until the bus is due - ie what most customers care about).

Kuyoyo

17 Sep 2015, 5:59 pm #50
(17 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm)Dan I'm not sure how a live map would work on Go North East's app, when it is clear to see they have avoided explicitly stating how late the service is (instead opting for how many minutes it is until the bus is due - ie what most customers care about).

Which the Arriva Live app now gives you - as below

.jpg
image.jpg
Size 160.61 KB / Downloads 28
Kuyoyo
17 Sep 2015, 5:59 pm #50

(17 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm)Dan I'm not sure how a live map would work on Go North East's app, when it is clear to see they have avoided explicitly stating how late the service is (instead opting for how many minutes it is until the bus is due - ie what most customers care about).

Which the Arriva Live app now gives you - as below

.jpg
image.jpg
Size 160.61 KB / Downloads 28

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Sep 2015, 6:16 pm #51
(17 Sep 2015, 5:59 pm)Kuyoyo Which the Arriva Live app now gives you - as below

I still get scheduled time + minutes late...?
Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_2015-09-17-19-14-40.png
Size 399.67 KB / Downloads 22
Dan
17 Sep 2015, 6:16 pm #51

(17 Sep 2015, 5:59 pm)Kuyoyo Which the Arriva Live app now gives you - as below

I still get scheduled time + minutes late...?

Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_2015-09-17-19-14-40.png
Size 399.67 KB / Downloads 22

Andreos1

17 Sep 2015, 6:19 pm #52
(17 Sep 2015, 5:10 pm)aureolin But one thing to consider is that 11% of the market, is not 11% of their users. 

Totally agree about the 11%.
However there have been issues relating to Google identifying WP visitors as something else or not at all.
http://m.windowscentral.com/windows-phon...-analytics

I have MatrixStats (and google) on my site and there isn't a single WP picked up at all, despite me just visiting the site 5mins ago.
Edited 17 Sep 2015, 6:30 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
17 Sep 2015, 6:19 pm #52

(17 Sep 2015, 5:10 pm)aureolin But one thing to consider is that 11% of the market, is not 11% of their users. 

Totally agree about the 11%.
However there have been issues relating to Google identifying WP visitors as something else or not at all.
http://m.windowscentral.com/windows-phon...-analytics

I have MatrixStats (and google) on my site and there isn't a single WP picked up at all, despite me just visiting the site 5mins ago.

cbma06

17 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm #53
(17 Sep 2015, 6:16 pm)Dan I still get scheduled time + minutes late...?

i keep getting (in colour blue -6) running early along the route on service 24 and I was waiting for it at the bus stop and it did come really early and it kept early along the route, if I didn't have the app and went out to the bus stop I would of missed the bus.

I still prefer the timetable on the app with the blue line on the left scrolling down to show where the bus is within a few streets. but all journeys should show real time and not scheduled times as stated at bus stops and timetables.

cbma06
17 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm #53

(17 Sep 2015, 6:16 pm)Dan I still get scheduled time + minutes late...?

i keep getting (in colour blue -6) running early along the route on service 24 and I was waiting for it at the bus stop and it did come really early and it kept early along the route, if I didn't have the app and went out to the bus stop I would of missed the bus.

I still prefer the timetable on the app with the blue line on the left scrolling down to show where the bus is within a few streets. but all journeys should show real time and not scheduled times as stated at bus stops and timetables.

S813 FVK

20 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm #54
Will this new GNE app include every single service (ie. works services and scholars) or just the services included in the current app?
S813 FVK
20 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm #54

Will this new GNE app include every single service (ie. works services and scholars) or just the services included in the current app?

Dan

Site Administrator

20 Sep 2015, 5:49 pm #55
(20 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm)S813 FVK Will this new GNE app include every single service (ie. works services and scholars) or just the services included in the current app?

Pretty sure that I have seen Nexus-secured scholars services tracking in real time on the new app.
Dan
20 Sep 2015, 5:49 pm #55

(20 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm)S813 FVK Will this new GNE app include every single service (ie. works services and scholars) or just the services included in the current app?

Pretty sure that I have seen Nexus-secured scholars services tracking in real time on the new app.

S813 FVK

20 Sep 2015, 5:57 pm #56
(20 Sep 2015, 5:49 pm)Dan Pretty sure that I have seen Nexus-secured scholars services tracking in real time on the new app.

Good to hear. At least the app should be of some use to myself as a result.
Edited 20 Sep 2015, 6:59 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
20 Sep 2015, 5:57 pm #56

(20 Sep 2015, 5:49 pm)Dan Pretty sure that I have seen Nexus-secured scholars services tracking in real time on the new app.

Good to hear. At least the app should be of some use to myself as a result.

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average