Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc

Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc

Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (37): Previous 1 2 3 437 Next
Andreos1

16 Mar 2014, 9:53 am #41
(15 Mar 2014, 8:48 pm)aureolin New bridge would have been started first time around, if it wasn't for the pathetic cabinet at the council wanting the spectacular instead of the necessary. I understand that the cosmetic side of things is important, but the bridge wouldn't have even served it's purpose, despite looking spectacular.

and it was at the expense of the relief road from Biddick Woods, through to Rainton Bridge...

All so a fancy design to be added, to compete with their neighbours from Tyneside.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Mar 2014, 9:53 am #41

(15 Mar 2014, 8:48 pm)aureolin New bridge would have been started first time around, if it wasn't for the pathetic cabinet at the council wanting the spectacular instead of the necessary. I understand that the cosmetic side of things is important, but the bridge wouldn't have even served it's purpose, despite looking spectacular.

and it was at the expense of the relief road from Biddick Woods, through to Rainton Bridge...

All so a fancy design to be added, to compete with their neighbours from Tyneside.

Michael

16 Mar 2014, 10:00 am #42
(16 Mar 2014, 9:53 am)Andreos Constantopolous and it was at the expense of the relief road from Biddick Woods, through to Rainton Bridge...

I think it might just be basic, tbh that's all i want, I'm hoping work will start this year at Start of the 6 weeks holidays.

Any idea where this bridge is getting built in pallion?

Not sure theirs much road to work with due to the metro lines being their

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Mar 2014, 10:00 am #42

(16 Mar 2014, 9:53 am)Andreos Constantopolous and it was at the expense of the relief road from Biddick Woods, through to Rainton Bridge...

I think it might just be basic, tbh that's all i want, I'm hoping work will start this year at Start of the 6 weeks holidays.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

16 Mar 2014, 10:05 am #43
(16 Mar 2014, 10:00 am)Michael I think it might just be basic, tbh that's all i want, I'm hoping work will start this year at Start of the 6 weeks holidays.

Hopefully it is just basic - as long as it does what a bridge is supposed to do (and it saves on taxpayers money...).

As for the other bits, I have no idea.
I have very little interest in the scheme, after loosing it about the same time as they cancelled the new road, in favour of the fancy design.

Andreos1
16 Mar 2014, 10:05 am #43

(16 Mar 2014, 10:00 am)Michael I think it might just be basic, tbh that's all i want, I'm hoping work will start this year at Start of the 6 weeks holidays.

Hopefully it is just basic - as long as it does what a bridge is supposed to do (and it saves on taxpayers money...).

I have very little interest in the scheme, after loosing it about the same time as they cancelled the new road, in favour of the fancy design.

Michael

16 Mar 2014, 10:13 am #44
(16 Mar 2014, 10:05 am)Andreos Constantopolous Hopefully it is just basic - as long as it does what a bridge is supposed to do (and it saves on taxpayers money...).

Just want the VAUX site to be completed, same as the square and the crowtree area done atm.

Then the bridge and hopefully the extension of the bridges on to the Crowtree land!

I found this document while on the Skyscraper city page -

Edit - some reason it won't work so here is the page its on... http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1621211&page=8

On page 23 it mentions the Holmeside triange, Crowtree etc
Edited 16 Mar 2014, 10:17 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Mar 2014, 10:13 am #44

(16 Mar 2014, 10:05 am)Andreos Constantopolous Hopefully it is just basic - as long as it does what a bridge is supposed to do (and it saves on taxpayers money...).

Just want the VAUX site to be completed, same as the square and the crowtree area done atm.

Then the bridge and hopefully the extension of the bridges on to the Crowtree land!

Edit - some reason it won't work so here is the page its on... http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1621211&page=8

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

16 Mar 2014, 10:20 am #45
(16 Mar 2014, 10:13 am)Michael Just want the VAUX site to be completed, same as the square and the crowtree area done atm.

Might be this you're looking for? http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=7153&p=0

Holmeside triangle development plans have been going on as long as I remember. I can remember Pzazz first being closed down and aquired for the triangle. That's since relaunched as Passion. Then there was the old cinema. That was converted into the point complex?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Mar 2014, 10:20 am #45

(16 Mar 2014, 10:13 am)Michael Just want the VAUX site to be completed, same as the square and the crowtree area done atm.

Might be this you're looking for? http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=7153&p=0

Holmeside triangle development plans have been going on as long as I remember. I can remember Pzazz first being closed down and aquired for the triangle. That's since relaunched as Passion. Then there was the old cinema. That was converted into the point complex?

Michael

16 Mar 2014, 10:29 am #46
(16 Mar 2014, 10:20 am)aureolin Might be this you're looking for? http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=7153&p=0

Was gutted when the old pictures was shut down =(

Ye the old pictures is the Point complex.. which i haven't seen open on a night out in ages! not surprised at the prices though!

I remember when the council had Holmeside all set out and that went to pot due to companies collapsing... they had to the idea of the spirit of Sunderland hotel - which looked really good and loads of shops, leisure etc... I think they should build a new leisure centre on there, like the on at the crowtree...

Well the old independent is going to be knocked down soon along with all the shops up untill the bingo... so that brings space to the area.

I personally think it's a good idea

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Mar 2014, 10:29 am #46

(16 Mar 2014, 10:20 am)aureolin Might be this you're looking for? http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=7153&p=0

Was gutted when the old pictures was shut down =(

Ye the old pictures is the Point complex.. which i haven't seen open on a night out in ages! not surprised at the prices though!

I remember when the council had Holmeside all set out and that went to pot due to companies collapsing... they had to the idea of the spirit of Sunderland hotel - which looked really good and loads of shops, leisure etc... I think they should build a new leisure centre on there, like the on at the crowtree...

Well the old independent is going to be knocked down soon along with all the shops up untill the bingo... so that brings space to the area.

I personally think it's a good idea

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

16 Mar 2014, 10:40 am #47
That map of the Homleside area of what they wanted is exactly what we need in Sunderland.

I really think if they move the bingo in the city centre, alot more can be done as they could knock that down, same as passion and the market square. I would move all the units to a temp area, get all that area sorted then do what tesco done on their new site.

Give them new units in the area - sure they wont mind a nice new place.

The market however should remain outside as of now.

Just to add: Were getting a new music venue at the Stadium of light and a Hilton hotel on the site.... Should be fun for those who want to look at Southwick! haha

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local...-1-6234424 - this where they are gonna be.

Looks like the car dealer near the road of the stadium will be gone.

Work should start soon on both, i hope! - only problem, parking... wonder if they would knock everything down on the site (like the other car dealer) to make extra car park spaces.
Edited 16 Mar 2014, 10:59 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Mar 2014, 10:40 am #47

That map of the Homleside area of what they wanted is exactly what we need in Sunderland.

I really think if they move the bingo in the city centre, alot more can be done as they could knock that down, same as passion and the market square. I would move all the units to a temp area, get all that area sorted then do what tesco done on their new site.

Give them new units in the area - sure they wont mind a nice new place.

The market however should remain outside as of now.

Just to add: Were getting a new music venue at the Stadium of light and a Hilton hotel on the site.... Should be fun for those who want to look at Southwick! haha

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local...-1-6234424 - this where they are gonna be.

Looks like the car dealer near the road of the stadium will be gone.

Work should start soon on both, i hope! - only problem, parking... wonder if they would knock everything down on the site (like the other car dealer) to make extra car park spaces.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

16 Mar 2014, 10:57 am #48
The problem with Sunderland City Council, is that their heads are often in the clouds. They've done nothing to encourage people to the city, and the state of the city centre is a disgrace. Building a big leisure complex at the moment is about as practical as 5* hotel in Hendon. They need a proper (and sustainable) plan for growth before they do anything.

Point's bars are open every other night, but the club (Union) is private hire only as far as I'm aware. I've seen a few events advertised for there over the course of the next month though, so it's definitely still used.

Adrian
16 Mar 2014, 10:57 am #48

The problem with Sunderland City Council, is that their heads are often in the clouds. They've done nothing to encourage people to the city, and the state of the city centre is a disgrace. Building a big leisure complex at the moment is about as practical as 5* hotel in Hendon. They need a proper (and sustainable) plan for growth before they do anything.

Point's bars are open every other night, but the club (Union) is private hire only as far as I'm aware. I've seen a few events advertised for there over the course of the next month though, so it's definitely still used.

cbma06

16 Mar 2014, 3:23 pm #49
(16 Mar 2014, 10:57 am)aureolin The problem with Sunderland City Council, is that their heads are often in the clouds. They've done nothing to encourage people to the city, and the state of the city centre is a disgrace. Building a big leisure complex at the moment is about as practical as 5* hotel in Hendon. They need a proper (and sustainable) plan for growth before they do anything.

I don't think that the council will be building a leisure complex in Sunderland Town as their are building one next to the Galleries in Washington, The college on North Hylton road supposed to be closing as their have been earmarked a section of the Holmside triangle. But plans do change.

cbma06
16 Mar 2014, 3:23 pm #49

(16 Mar 2014, 10:57 am)aureolin The problem with Sunderland City Council, is that their heads are often in the clouds. They've done nothing to encourage people to the city, and the state of the city centre is a disgrace. Building a big leisure complex at the moment is about as practical as 5* hotel in Hendon. They need a proper (and sustainable) plan for growth before they do anything.

I don't think that the council will be building a leisure complex in Sunderland Town as their are building one next to the Galleries in Washington, The college on North Hylton road supposed to be closing as their have been earmarked a section of the Holmside triangle. But plans do change.

Michael

16 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm #50
(16 Mar 2014, 3:23 pm)cbma06 I don't think that the council will be building a leisure complex in Sunderland Town as their are building one next to the Galleries in Washington, The college on North Hylton road supposed to be closing as their have been earmarked a section of the Holmside triangle. But plans do change.

I heard that about hylton college getting a spot in the city centre, its a good idea but hasnt hylton college just opened?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm #50

(16 Mar 2014, 3:23 pm)cbma06 I don't think that the council will be building a leisure complex in Sunderland Town as their are building one next to the Galleries in Washington, The college on North Hylton road supposed to be closing as their have been earmarked a section of the Holmside triangle. But plans do change.

I heard that about hylton college getting a spot in the city centre, its a good idea but hasnt hylton college just opened?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

17 Mar 2014, 7:17 pm #51
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1006895&page=34 - latest pics of the VAUX site.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Mar 2014, 7:17 pm #51

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1006895&page=34 - latest pics of the VAUX site.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

21 Mar 2014, 5:19 pm #52
New boulevard opens to drivers in Sunderland city centre

DRIVERS will be able to use the new St Mary’s Boulevard this weekend.
The new east-bound carriageway – which runs along the Vaux site – will open on Sunday. It is opening before final road surface is applied closer to the completion of the works
Sunderland City Council said news was a “major milestone” in the remodelling of St Mary’s Way and Livingstone Road into the new St Mary’s Boulevard.
Cabinet Secretary Councillor Mel Speding was on site today to see how work has progressed since the “ground-breaking” ceremony in June 2013.
He said: “It is great to be able to see how well the work is progressing. Much of the project until this point has not been very visible with a huge amount of effort going into preparing the site and its massive infrastructure and in-built services.
“Really, it is only now we are beginning to see the huge positive change this project will make on how Sunderland City Centre looks and works.
“By preparing the former Vaux site for development we are undertaking an ambitious, long-term plan to support economic growth and create a more vibrant and prosperous city that we can all be proud of.”
Westbound traffic will begin to use the new road in coming weeks to allow contractors Balfour Beatty to move onto the development of the area at the top of High Street West to be developed into a new public square.
The whole scheme will be finished by winter 2014.
The full cost of the scheme is £11.86 million, with £2.34 million from a successful bid to ERDF (European Regional Development Fund) and £2.5 million from GPF (Growing Places Fund), which is managed by the North East Local Enterprise Partnership (NELEP).

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Mar 2014, 5:19 pm #52

New boulevard opens to drivers in Sunderland city centre

DRIVERS will be able to use the new St Mary’s Boulevard this weekend.
The new east-bound carriageway – which runs along the Vaux site – will open on Sunday. It is opening before final road surface is applied closer to the completion of the works
Sunderland City Council said news was a “major milestone” in the remodelling of St Mary’s Way and Livingstone Road into the new St Mary’s Boulevard.
Cabinet Secretary Councillor Mel Speding was on site today to see how work has progressed since the “ground-breaking” ceremony in June 2013.
He said: “It is great to be able to see how well the work is progressing. Much of the project until this point has not been very visible with a huge amount of effort going into preparing the site and its massive infrastructure and in-built services.
“Really, it is only now we are beginning to see the huge positive change this project will make on how Sunderland City Centre looks and works.
“By preparing the former Vaux site for development we are undertaking an ambitious, long-term plan to support economic growth and create a more vibrant and prosperous city that we can all be proud of.”
Westbound traffic will begin to use the new road in coming weeks to allow contractors Balfour Beatty to move onto the development of the area at the top of High Street West to be developed into a new public square.
The whole scheme will be finished by winter 2014.
The full cost of the scheme is £11.86 million, with £2.34 million from a successful bid to ERDF (European Regional Development Fund) and £2.5 million from GPF (Growing Places Fund), which is managed by the North East Local Enterprise Partnership (NELEP).

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

23 Mar 2014, 12:18 pm #53
The new east-bound carriageway is now open on the VAUX site.

Which buses go down that side of the road, as theirs a bus stop?

Latest pic's info here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1006895&page=34

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 Mar 2014, 12:18 pm #53

The new east-bound carriageway is now open on the VAUX site.

Which buses go down that side of the road, as theirs a bus stop?

Latest pic's info here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1006895&page=34

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

24 Mar 2014, 7:18 pm #54
I found this on the skyscraper city site.

T & W Freight Partnership - 3 September 2013 Sunderland Transport Projects

Andrew Jameson – Transportation Strategy

http://www.tyneandwearfreight.info/repor...t%2013.pdf

its got a few things on, have a look

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
24 Mar 2014, 7:18 pm #54

I found this on the skyscraper city site.

T & W Freight Partnership - 3 September 2013 Sunderland Transport Projects

Andrew Jameson – Transportation Strategy

http://www.tyneandwearfreight.info/repor...t%2013.pdf

its got a few things on, have a look

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

30 Mar 2014, 9:01 am #55
Update on the Holmeisde area in Sunderland, seems they want to build a new college on the site - replacing Hylton college.

Couple of newspapers are running this story.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/educa...-1-6529406

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-e...et-6892522

Basically its replacing hylton college

Sunderland College will build its new flagship base on land opposite Park Lane bus station, running courses for 2,000 students and becoming the home for 120 staff.

Courses to be run from the new centre will include engineering, manufacturing, construction trades, automotive skills, travel and tourism, catering and hospitality.

The public will also be able to take advantage of its hairdressers, beauty salon, barbers, spa, bakery and a restaurant.

The courses will move from the Hylton Campus, with college chiefs stating the North Hylton Road centre will eventually close.

Work on the new City Centre campus is scheduled to begin this autumn.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Mar 2014, 9:01 am #55

Update on the Holmeisde area in Sunderland, seems they want to build a new college on the site - replacing Hylton college.

Sunderland College will build its new flagship base on land opposite Park Lane bus station, running courses for 2,000 students and becoming the home for 120 staff.

Courses to be run from the new centre will include engineering, manufacturing, construction trades, automotive skills, travel and tourism, catering and hospitality.

The public will also be able to take advantage of its hairdressers, beauty salon, barbers, spa, bakery and a restaurant.

The courses will move from the Hylton Campus, with college chiefs stating the North Hylton Road centre will eventually close.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Mar 2014, 9:03 am #56
(30 Mar 2014, 9:01 am)Michael Update on the Holmeisde area in Sunderland, seems they want to build a new college on the site - replacing Hylton college.

What used to be down there again? If memory serves, there was a long path to a shop or something, but I must have been pretty young when it closed so I can't remember properly now.
Dan
30 Mar 2014, 9:03 am #56

(30 Mar 2014, 9:01 am)Michael Update on the Holmeisde area in Sunderland, seems they want to build a new college on the site - replacing Hylton college.

What used to be down there again? If memory serves, there was a long path to a shop or something, but I must have been pretty young when it closed so I can't remember properly now.

Andreos1

30 Mar 2014, 9:05 am #57
(30 Mar 2014, 9:03 am)Dan What used to be down there again? If memory serves, there was a long path to a shop or something, but I must have been pretty young when it closed so I can't remember properly now.

Food Giant possibly.

Andreos1
30 Mar 2014, 9:05 am #57

(30 Mar 2014, 9:03 am)Dan What used to be down there again? If memory serves, there was a long path to a shop or something, but I must have been pretty young when it closed so I can't remember properly now.

Food Giant possibly.

Michael

30 Mar 2014, 9:07 am #58

It was food giant and then Kwik Save, my memory's was that bridge passing the train lines.

Were still waiting for them to start knocking down the old independent and that..

No designs atm but it will give the city centre a much needed boost, all those students going out for dinner

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Mar 2014, 9:07 am #58

It was food giant and then Kwik Save, my memory's was that bridge passing the train lines.

Were still waiting for them to start knocking down the old independent and that..

No designs atm but it will give the city centre a much needed boost, all those students going out for dinner

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Mar 2014, 9:11 am #59
(30 Mar 2014, 9:07 am)Michael It was food giant and then Kwik Save, my memory's was that bridge passing the train lines.

Looks grim on these photos. Only thing I remember is stomping down that metal bridge thing and making as much noise as possible!
Dan
30 Mar 2014, 9:11 am #59

(30 Mar 2014, 9:07 am)Michael It was food giant and then Kwik Save, my memory's was that bridge passing the train lines.

Looks grim on these photos. Only thing I remember is stomping down that metal bridge thing and making as much noise as possible!

Michael

30 Mar 2014, 9:13 am #60
(30 Mar 2014, 9:11 am)Dan Looks grim on these photos. Only thing I remember is stomping down that metal bridge thing and making as much noise as possible!

lmao me too!

Ye shame it shut down, the staff were always happy.

Least something is gonna happen on the site, not what people wanted but least its some land took up in the city centre.

Wonder what they will do with the current Hylton campus, knock it down like Shiney row?
Edited 30 Mar 2014, 9:14 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Mar 2014, 9:13 am #60

(30 Mar 2014, 9:11 am)Dan Looks grim on these photos. Only thing I remember is stomping down that metal bridge thing and making as much noise as possible!

lmao me too!

Ye shame it shut down, the staff were always happy.

Least something is gonna happen on the site, not what people wanted but least its some land took up in the city centre.

Wonder what they will do with the current Hylton campus, knock it down like Shiney row?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (37): Previous 1 2 3 437 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average