Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North East Bus Stations

North East Bus Stations

North East Bus Stations

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (11) Previous 18 9 10 11 Next
24 Sep 2015, 6:36 pm #161
(24 Sep 2015, 6:05 pm)GX03 SVC When I went last year, I was scared of being run over or a bus knocking down the shelter where the timetables are. It's rather tight to walk through the place with bus drivers hanging about having fags and alighting passengers etc. 

Also witnessed a couple of near misses with walls etc......
I was there in August and 4966 hit a TEN bus in the layover area
Luckily only minor damage
NK53 TKT
24 Sep 2015, 6:36 pm #161

(24 Sep 2015, 6:05 pm)GX03 SVC When I went last year, I was scared of being run over or a bus knocking down the shelter where the timetables are. It's rather tight to walk through the place with bus drivers hanging about having fags and alighting passengers etc. 

Also witnessed a couple of near misses with walls etc......
I was there in August and 4966 hit a TEN bus in the layover area
Luckily only minor damage

G-CPTN

24 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm #162
(24 Sep 2015, 6:21 pm)Jimmi I think bus stops would be put in place on the main road (Priestpopple) where the current bus station is although I'm unsure if all services would still stop there.

There are relatively few main services that travel west of Hexham (Arriva/Stagecoach 685/85 is the only through service from east of Hexham).
The remainder are the 'minor' services (682, 683, 688) that serve Allendale/Allenheads, Newbrough and Hexham Priestlands/Beaumont Park/Highford.
The TEN and X84/X85 terminate at Hexham bus station (and it would be inconvenient to say the least to have these serve the old bus station area).

One of the proposals was to replace the existing bus station with stops on Priestpopple, but the problem was where to turn around the buses that needed to travel to Newcastle. It was soon realised that this was a non-starter.

It is regrettable that the opportunity to acquire the (what was George and Jobling garage) site (the current roofless shell that burned-down some 40-50 years ago) was not taken.
Expanding the current bus station eastwards would have solved all the problems of the current site.

(I have been a user of Hexham bus station since 1955.)
G-CPTN
24 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm #162

(24 Sep 2015, 6:21 pm)Jimmi I think bus stops would be put in place on the main road (Priestpopple) where the current bus station is although I'm unsure if all services would still stop there.

There are relatively few main services that travel west of Hexham (Arriva/Stagecoach 685/85 is the only through service from east of Hexham).
The remainder are the 'minor' services (682, 683, 688) that serve Allendale/Allenheads, Newbrough and Hexham Priestlands/Beaumont Park/Highford.
The TEN and X84/X85 terminate at Hexham bus station (and it would be inconvenient to say the least to have these serve the old bus station area).

One of the proposals was to replace the existing bus station with stops on Priestpopple, but the problem was where to turn around the buses that needed to travel to Newcastle. It was soon realised that this was a non-starter.

It is regrettable that the opportunity to acquire the (what was George and Jobling garage) site (the current roofless shell that burned-down some 40-50 years ago) was not taken.
Expanding the current bus station eastwards would have solved all the problems of the current site.

(I have been a user of Hexham bus station since 1955.)

eezypeazy

25 Sep 2015, 10:20 am #163
(24 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm)G-CPTN Expanding the current bus station eastwards would have solved all the problems of the current site.

Sorry, but I don't think it would.

1. there are height differences between the existing bus station and the site to the east. Either the bus station would have to be lowered, or the adjacent site filled in (which is probably more practical!).

2. The current bus station is on a hill. There has been one instance of a bus 'running away' across Preistpopple.

3. Buses cannot leave westbound without swinging out across both lanes of Preistpopple - turning eastbound is only possible if westbound traffic leaves considerable space for buses to swing.

4. There are poor sight lines when approaching the bus station - buses from the east begin their approach before they can see whether or not there's any delivery vans or buses blocking the arrival stand area.

So no, simply spreading eastwards wouldn't have solved all the problems, in my opinion.

The new bus station will have:
- Five arrival/departure bays and a layover area.
- The departure bays will be 'drive on - drive off' - ie., no more reversing uphill moves.
- A refreshment kiosk, indoor waiting room with seats, and toilets
- An overall 'canopy' to keep the rain off when you're boarding and alighting
- Clear pedestrian routes into the town and towards the hospital
- Clear line of sight for bus drivers for both entering and leaving the bus station
- Become a 'gateway' building for the town

and that's just the features I can remember off the top of my head!

This will be a real benefit for bus pasengers!
eezypeazy
25 Sep 2015, 10:20 am #163

(24 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm)G-CPTN Expanding the current bus station eastwards would have solved all the problems of the current site.

Sorry, but I don't think it would.

1. there are height differences between the existing bus station and the site to the east. Either the bus station would have to be lowered, or the adjacent site filled in (which is probably more practical!).

2. The current bus station is on a hill. There has been one instance of a bus 'running away' across Preistpopple.

3. Buses cannot leave westbound without swinging out across both lanes of Preistpopple - turning eastbound is only possible if westbound traffic leaves considerable space for buses to swing.

4. There are poor sight lines when approaching the bus station - buses from the east begin their approach before they can see whether or not there's any delivery vans or buses blocking the arrival stand area.

So no, simply spreading eastwards wouldn't have solved all the problems, in my opinion.

The new bus station will have:
- Five arrival/departure bays and a layover area.
- The departure bays will be 'drive on - drive off' - ie., no more reversing uphill moves.
- A refreshment kiosk, indoor waiting room with seats, and toilets
- An overall 'canopy' to keep the rain off when you're boarding and alighting
- Clear pedestrian routes into the town and towards the hospital
- Clear line of sight for bus drivers for both entering and leaving the bus station
- Become a 'gateway' building for the town

and that's just the features I can remember off the top of my head!

This will be a real benefit for bus pasengers!

Simmy

03 Oct 2015, 1:11 am #164
Over the past few days I have been watching videos on Youtube of South Shields over the past 20 years. I watched a video from early 1997, which appeared to show South Shields bus station (in its current form) under construction. Does anyone have an idea as to when South Shields bus "station" officially opened in its current form?
Simmy
03 Oct 2015, 1:11 am #164

Over the past few days I have been watching videos on Youtube of South Shields over the past 20 years. I watched a video from early 1997, which appeared to show South Shields bus station (in its current form) under construction. Does anyone have an idea as to when South Shields bus "station" officially opened in its current form?

Andreos1

03 Oct 2015, 8:30 am #165
(03 Oct 2015, 1:11 am)Simmy Over the past few days I have been watching videos on Youtube of South Shields over the past 20 years. I watched a video from early 1997, which appeared to show South Shields bus station (in its current form) under construction. Does anyone have an idea as to when South Shields bus "station" officially opened in its current form?

It has had the same/similar design/layout for as long as I can remember - possibly from around the time the Metro was extended to Shields.

I think the building work you saw, would have been when the current shelters were installed. Pretty sure there was work on the bays and a re-jig of them too.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Oct 2015, 8:30 am #165

(03 Oct 2015, 1:11 am)Simmy Over the past few days I have been watching videos on Youtube of South Shields over the past 20 years. I watched a video from early 1997, which appeared to show South Shields bus station (in its current form) under construction. Does anyone have an idea as to when South Shields bus "station" officially opened in its current form?

It has had the same/similar design/layout for as long as I can remember - possibly from around the time the Metro was extended to Shields.

I think the building work you saw, would have been when the current shelters were installed. Pretty sure there was work on the bays and a re-jig of them too.

Simmy

03 Oct 2015, 9:56 am #166
Cheers! There did seem to be a lot of work around the installation of shelters.
Simmy
03 Oct 2015, 9:56 am #166

Cheers! There did seem to be a lot of work around the installation of shelters.

Andreos1

03 Oct 2015, 11:23 am #167
(03 Oct 2015, 9:56 am)Simmy Cheers! There did seem to be a lot of work around the installation of shelters.

Thinking back, I think the old stands were wider.
If I am remembering correctly, there was space to walk (as there is now), but each stand was separated by a barrier, not too different to the Metrocentre (the X66 stand jumps out as being similar).

I am not sure there would be space in the current set up, for a set up like there was then.
It could be the road was widened, to take into account the bays - with the stand losing space as a result and the works appearing like they did on the youtube clip.

Andreos1
03 Oct 2015, 11:23 am #167

(03 Oct 2015, 9:56 am)Simmy Cheers! There did seem to be a lot of work around the installation of shelters.

Thinking back, I think the old stands were wider.
If I am remembering correctly, there was space to walk (as there is now), but each stand was separated by a barrier, not too different to the Metrocentre (the X66 stand jumps out as being similar).

I am not sure there would be space in the current set up, for a set up like there was then.
It could be the road was widened, to take into account the bays - with the stand losing space as a result and the works appearing like they did on the youtube clip.

27 Oct 2015, 2:02 pm #168
Bus stand signs at Ashington have been updated. A/B/C/D/F/G have received new vinyls.
A/B have been updated for the second time this year, this time they include via points. 434 has now been mentioned; C for Linton and D for Bedlington Station.
omnicity4659
27 Oct 2015, 2:02 pm #168

Bus stand signs at Ashington have been updated. A/B/C/D/F/G have received new vinyls.
A/B have been updated for the second time this year, this time they include via points. 434 has now been mentioned; C for Linton and D for Bedlington Station.

Malarkey

10 Dec 2015, 6:04 pm #169
Do you reckon you could merge Haymarket & Eldon Square Bus Station together without having to knock down the Multi-Story Car Park, and also have room for National Express/Megabus along with other Coach Services to operate out of the one Bus Station.
Malarkey
10 Dec 2015, 6:04 pm #169

Do you reckon you could merge Haymarket & Eldon Square Bus Station together without having to knock down the Multi-Story Car Park, and also have room for National Express/Megabus along with other Coach Services to operate out of the one Bus Station.

mb134

10 Dec 2015, 7:27 pm #170
(10 Dec 2015, 6:04 pm)Malarkey Do you reckon you could merge Haymarket & Eldon Square Bus Station together without having to knock down the Multi-Story Car Park, and also have room for National Express/Megabus along with other Coach Services to operate out of the one Bus Station.

I think there has to be a way of making them both more efficient than they currently are, it takes far too long to get into or out of Haymarket, and too long to get into Eldon Square.

Merging them, I guess if designed appropriately, could be possible. Not a clue how though!
mb134
10 Dec 2015, 7:27 pm #170

(10 Dec 2015, 6:04 pm)Malarkey Do you reckon you could merge Haymarket & Eldon Square Bus Station together without having to knock down the Multi-Story Car Park, and also have room for National Express/Megabus along with other Coach Services to operate out of the one Bus Station.

I think there has to be a way of making them both more efficient than they currently are, it takes far too long to get into or out of Haymarket, and too long to get into Eldon Square.

Merging them, I guess if designed appropriately, could be possible. Not a clue how though!

10 Dec 2015, 7:31 pm #171

Name suggestion " Newcastle Central Gateway "
South Tyne Lad
10 Dec 2015, 7:31 pm #171

Name suggestion " Newcastle Central Gateway "

markydh

10 Dec 2015, 7:51 pm #172
They already have a shared stand sequence. But no, they will never be merged as there is no physical link between the two. It also wouldn't be just a case of demolishing the spiral car park either. The John Lewis and Fenwick freight docks are accessed via the entrance to Eldon Square bus station, as are the collect by car stations for those two along with M&S. And there are major plans to transform the public highway along Percy Street which should make a massive difference to traffic levels.
markydh
10 Dec 2015, 7:51 pm #172

They already have a shared stand sequence. But no, they will never be merged as there is no physical link between the two. It also wouldn't be just a case of demolishing the spiral car park either. The John Lewis and Fenwick freight docks are accessed via the entrance to Eldon Square bus station, as are the collect by car stations for those two along with M&S. And there are major plans to transform the public highway along Percy Street which should make a massive difference to traffic levels.

G-CPTN

10 Dec 2015, 8:21 pm #173
No reason why the buses couldn't be fitted with sensors to activate the traffic lights thus reducing the delays getting in and out.
G-CPTN
10 Dec 2015, 8:21 pm #173

No reason why the buses couldn't be fitted with sensors to activate the traffic lights thus reducing the delays getting in and out.

Andreos1

10 Dec 2015, 8:29 pm #174
(10 Dec 2015, 7:51 pm)markydh They already have a shared stand sequence. But no, they will never be merged as there is no physical link between the two. It also wouldn't be just a case of demolishing the spiral car park either. The John Lewis and Fenwick freight docks are accessed via the entrance to Eldon Square bus station, as are the collect by car stations for those two along with M&S. And there are major plans to transform the public highway along Percy Street which should make a massive difference to traffic levels.

I have started wondering how long that has left.
I can't remember the last time any major work was done on it.

Andreos1
10 Dec 2015, 8:29 pm #174

(10 Dec 2015, 7:51 pm)markydh They already have a shared stand sequence. But no, they will never be merged as there is no physical link between the two. It also wouldn't be just a case of demolishing the spiral car park either. The John Lewis and Fenwick freight docks are accessed via the entrance to Eldon Square bus station, as are the collect by car stations for those two along with M&S. And there are major plans to transform the public highway along Percy Street which should make a massive difference to traffic levels.

I have started wondering how long that has left.

Charles41

14 Dec 2015, 12:08 pm #175
(10 Dec 2015, 8:29 pm)Andreos1 I have started wondering how long that has left.

The cost would also be prohibitive, they would have to compensate the owners of the car park. Also a good part of the freehold title to the Haymarket part of Newcastle is still ultimately owned by the Duke of Northumberland and his family. No doubt they would need compensating as well. It is also unlikely Marks & Spencer etc would wish to loose their loading facilities.

Charles
Charles41
14 Dec 2015, 12:08 pm #175

(10 Dec 2015, 8:29 pm)Andreos1 I have started wondering how long that has left.

The cost would also be prohibitive, they would have to compensate the owners of the car park. Also a good part of the freehold title to the Haymarket part of Newcastle is still ultimately owned by the Duke of Northumberland and his family. No doubt they would need compensating as well. It is also unlikely Marks & Spencer etc would wish to loose their loading facilities.

Charles

markydh

14 Dec 2015, 7:54 pm #176
It had work done on it when Eldon Square Bus Station was being built as they needed to move the entrance and exit to where it currently is
markydh
14 Dec 2015, 7:54 pm #176

It had work done on it when Eldon Square Bus Station was being built as they needed to move the entrance and exit to where it currently is

cbma06

15 Dec 2015, 4:33 pm #177
I noticed today at Sunderland Interchange bus stands for the Arriva 22/23 etc.. and GNE service 60/61, that there changed the waiting area at the stands, so you have to go round the middle area at the stand and cant go straight along then onto the bus.

cbma06
15 Dec 2015, 4:33 pm #177

I noticed today at Sunderland Interchange bus stands for the Arriva 22/23 etc.. and GNE service 60/61, that there changed the waiting area at the stands, so you have to go round the middle area at the stand and cant go straight along then onto the bus.

BusLoverMum

15 Dec 2015, 8:05 pm #178
(15 Dec 2015, 4:33 pm)cbma06 I noticed today at Sunderland Interchange bus stands for the Arriva 22/23 etc.. and GNE service 60/61, that there changed the waiting area at the stands, so you have to go round the middle area at the stand and cant go straight along then onto the bus.

I stuck a photo in another thread, the other day. It's a right mess.

I know why its been done, though. No one was using the bays and everyone was queuing through what was presumably meant to be the exit, making the area in the middle rather crowded. If you stood where you were meant to stand and wait, where the "seats" (neither use nor ornament) are, you'd lose your place in the queue.
BusLoverMum
15 Dec 2015, 8:05 pm #178

(15 Dec 2015, 4:33 pm)cbma06 I noticed today at Sunderland Interchange bus stands for the Arriva 22/23 etc.. and GNE service 60/61, that there changed the waiting area at the stands, so you have to go round the middle area at the stand and cant go straight along then onto the bus.

I stuck a photo in another thread, the other day. It's a right mess.

I know why its been done, though. No one was using the bays and everyone was queuing through what was presumably meant to be the exit, making the area in the middle rather crowded. If you stood where you were meant to stand and wait, where the "seats" (neither use nor ornament) are, you'd lose your place in the queue.

Andreos1

15 Dec 2015, 9:08 pm #179
(14 Dec 2015, 7:54 pm)markydh It had work done on it when Eldon Square Bus Station was being built as they needed to move the entrance and exit to where it currently is

Sorry, should have been clearer.
Meant structural work - rather than the moving of the entrance/exit.
Unless it was done at the same time.

Andreos1
15 Dec 2015, 9:08 pm #179

(14 Dec 2015, 7:54 pm)markydh It had work done on it when Eldon Square Bus Station was being built as they needed to move the entrance and exit to where it currently is

Sorry, should have been clearer.
Meant structural work - rather than the moving of the entrance/exit.
Unless it was done at the same time.

26 Dec 2015, 12:20 am #180

I noticed that when I was there on the 31/10. It just is a mess to be honest.
omnicity4659
26 Dec 2015, 12:20 am #180

I noticed that when I was there on the 31/10. It just is a mess to be honest.

Pages (11) Previous 18 9 10 11 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average