Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Nexus

Nexus

Nexus

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (7): Previous 1 2 3 47 Next
Adrian

14 Jun 2016, 4:27 pm #41
(14 Jun 2016, 2:27 pm)Andreos1 No idea, that's why I said I hope.
At this stage, we have no idea how much the survey/consultation will be pushed and how Nexus will get the message out in to the public domain.

I hope too, but my real fear is that it won't reach that audience. Prompting the axing of discounted child travel will be axed, in favour of retaining the gold card, if I'm honest. This was threatened within the QCS consultation, when the 'Do Minimum' scenario was discussed - although they did say this would be gone by 2015/16 iirc?

I'm far from being against concessionary fares being available, but as I've said before, they need to be proportionate and not at the detriment of other groups that need discounted travel. It's around 3x as much per day for kids to travel to school in Durham...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 Jun 2016, 4:27 pm #41

(14 Jun 2016, 2:27 pm)Andreos1 No idea, that's why I said I hope.
At this stage, we have no idea how much the survey/consultation will be pushed and how Nexus will get the message out in to the public domain.

I hope too, but my real fear is that it won't reach that audience. Prompting the axing of discounted child travel will be axed, in favour of retaining the gold card, if I'm honest. This was threatened within the QCS consultation, when the 'Do Minimum' scenario was discussed - although they did say this would be gone by 2015/16 iirc?

I'm far from being against concessionary fares being available, but as I've said before, they need to be proportionate and not at the detriment of other groups that need discounted travel. It's around 3x as much per day for kids to travel to school in Durham...

Andreos1

14 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm #42
(14 Jun 2016, 4:27 pm)Adrian I hope too, but my real fear is that it won't reach that audience. Prompting the axing of discounted child travel will be axed, in favour of retaining the gold card, if I'm honest. This was threatened within the QCS consultation, when the 'Do Minimum' scenario was discussed - although they did say this would be gone by 2015/16 iirc?

And if it doesn't reach the audience, that in itself will be a disgrace, bearing in mind the data (such as names and addresses) that is held, regarding pass holders.

I note there is information on buses regarding the application process for CAT pass holders, who need to reapply for their card if it is due to expire in July.
This is in addition to the letters sent to parents/guardians of those affected.
Edited 14 Jun 2016, 6:06 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm #42

(14 Jun 2016, 4:27 pm)Adrian I hope too, but my real fear is that it won't reach that audience. Prompting the axing of discounted child travel will be axed, in favour of retaining the gold card, if I'm honest. This was threatened within the QCS consultation, when the 'Do Minimum' scenario was discussed - although they did say this would be gone by 2015/16 iirc?

And if it doesn't reach the audience, that in itself will be a disgrace, bearing in mind the data (such as names and addresses) that is held, regarding pass holders.

I note there is information on buses regarding the application process for CAT pass holders, who need to reapply for their card if it is due to expire in July.

Deleted

14 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm #43
U16 cards should be the responsibility of the schools. They should be available for free school travel before 0930 and between 1500 and 1700. The cost should be taken from the ENCTS budget, to weight it out OAP ENCTS passes should not be valid when U16 passes are. It's unacceptable that a child with no form of income has to pay to travel to school but a pensioner who had a source of income travels for free.
Deleted
14 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm #43

U16 cards should be the responsibility of the schools. They should be available for free school travel before 0930 and between 1500 and 1700. The cost should be taken from the ENCTS budget, to weight it out OAP ENCTS passes should not be valid when U16 passes are. It's unacceptable that a child with no form of income has to pay to travel to school but a pensioner who had a source of income travels for free.

Tamesider

14 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm #44
(14 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm)Deleted U16 cards should be the responsibility of the schools. They should be available for free school travel before 0930 and between 1500 and 1700. The cost should be taken from the ENCTS budget, to weight it out OAP ENCTS passes should not be valid  when U16 passes are. It's unacceptable that a child with no form of income has to pay to travel to school but a pensioner who had a source of income travels for free.

Children may not have their own income, but the parents will have. Also, "pensioners" are reducing in number overall as etirement Age gets closer to Life Expectancy. Further, Pensioners don't damage buses and initimidate other passengers........and unless suffering from serious disability, they solely use mainstream buses wheras many school chikdren use heavily subsidised bespoke services.
Tamesider
14 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm #44

(14 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm)Deleted U16 cards should be the responsibility of the schools. They should be available for free school travel before 0930 and between 1500 and 1700. The cost should be taken from the ENCTS budget, to weight it out OAP ENCTS passes should not be valid  when U16 passes are. It's unacceptable that a child with no form of income has to pay to travel to school but a pensioner who had a source of income travels for free.

Children may not have their own income, but the parents will have. Also, "pensioners" are reducing in number overall as etirement Age gets closer to Life Expectancy. Further, Pensioners don't damage buses and initimidate other passengers........and unless suffering from serious disability, they solely use mainstream buses wheras many school chikdren use heavily subsidised bespoke services.

14 Jun 2016, 8:30 pm #45
(14 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm)Andreos1 And if it doesn't reach the audience, that in itself will be a disgrace, bearing in mind the data (such as names and addresses) that is held, regarding pass holders.

I will be very annoyed if I can't use my POP card Angry
NK53 TKT
14 Jun 2016, 8:30 pm #45

(14 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm)Andreos1 And if it doesn't reach the audience, that in itself will be a disgrace, bearing in mind the data (such as names and addresses) that is held, regarding pass holders.

I will be very annoyed if I can't use my POP card Angry

Adrian

14 Jun 2016, 9:57 pm #46

Difficulty is that most schools are running as academies these days, so to you or I, it's a private business. You'd be unable to (or at least no appetite to) legislate that a private business has to pay for kids to travel free, but you could devolve home to school transport or scholars to schools. It remains with the LEA at present.

Adrian
14 Jun 2016, 9:57 pm #46

Difficulty is that most schools are running as academies these days, so to you or I, it's a private business. You'd be unable to (or at least no appetite to) legislate that a private business has to pay for kids to travel free, but you could devolve home to school transport or scholars to schools. It remains with the LEA at present.

Deleted

14 Jun 2016, 10:24 pm #47
(14 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm)Tamesider Children may not have their own income, but the parents will have. Also, "pensioners" are reducing in number overall as etirement Age gets closer to Life Expectancy. Further, Pensioners don't damage buses and initimidate other passengers........and unless suffering from serious disability, they solely use mainstream buses wheras many school chikdren use  heavily subsidised bespoke services. 
The trouble is quite a percentage of these children that are walking to school are just left to fend for themselves by the parents. Lots of children are brought up by parents that believe that any benifit they receive for the child is to be spent on alcohol, cigarettes or any other substance that they need to get-by. Thats why I believe that the schools should be responsible for the administration of child fare permits and they should be valid for free travel before and after school with the cost coming from the ENCTS budgets. 

You might be surprised to hear that in a recent industry survey 90% of drivers would rather have school children than pensioners onboard. The days of school children causing problems or damage to vehicles is also long gone. In the north east it's common knowledge that buses are reasonably tidy until just after 0930 then the rubbish starts to build up. Take a look at the used tickets disposed of on the floors, I guarantee you 95% will be ENCTS issued tickets.
It's not to much to ask for pensioners to give up two hours of there entitlement so the bus passengers of the future can have the benefit of free travel under what ever circumstances it is.
Deleted
14 Jun 2016, 10:24 pm #47

(14 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm)Tamesider Children may not have their own income, but the parents will have. Also, "pensioners" are reducing in number overall as etirement Age gets closer to Life Expectancy. Further, Pensioners don't damage buses and initimidate other passengers........and unless suffering from serious disability, they solely use mainstream buses wheras many school chikdren use  heavily subsidised bespoke services. 
The trouble is quite a percentage of these children that are walking to school are just left to fend for themselves by the parents. Lots of children are brought up by parents that believe that any benifit they receive for the child is to be spent on alcohol, cigarettes or any other substance that they need to get-by. Thats why I believe that the schools should be responsible for the administration of child fare permits and they should be valid for free travel before and after school with the cost coming from the ENCTS budgets. 

You might be surprised to hear that in a recent industry survey 90% of drivers would rather have school children than pensioners onboard. The days of school children causing problems or damage to vehicles is also long gone. In the north east it's common knowledge that buses are reasonably tidy until just after 0930 then the rubbish starts to build up. Take a look at the used tickets disposed of on the floors, I guarantee you 95% will be ENCTS issued tickets.
It's not to much to ask for pensioners to give up two hours of there entitlement so the bus passengers of the future can have the benefit of free travel under what ever circumstances it is.

Deleted

14 Jun 2016, 10:37 pm #48
(14 Jun 2016, 9:57 pm)Adrian Difficulty is that most schools are running as academies these days, so to you or I, it's a private business. You'd be unable to (or at least no appetite to) legislate that a private business has to pay for kids to travel free, but you could devolve home to school transport or scholars to schools. It remains with the LEA at present.

I would be disgusted if one of these acadamies could not organise the issue of pop/child fare passees to there children or are they customers now? It's a once a year activity apart from a few reissues for lost/defective cards. They would be little costs involved as it would be paid for by OAP passes not being valid when Children's passes are. Could even be a cost saving as less children could be travelling than OAPs would have in the time slot
Deleted
14 Jun 2016, 10:37 pm #48

(14 Jun 2016, 9:57 pm)Adrian Difficulty is that most schools are running as academies these days, so to you or I, it's a private business. You'd be unable to (or at least no appetite to) legislate that a private business has to pay for kids to travel free, but you could devolve home to school transport or scholars to schools. It remains with the LEA at present.

I would be disgusted if one of these acadamies could not organise the issue of pop/child fare passees to there children or are they customers now? It's a once a year activity apart from a few reissues for lost/defective cards. They would be little costs involved as it would be paid for by OAP passes not being valid when Children's passes are. Could even be a cost saving as less children could be travelling than OAPs would have in the time slot

Deleted

14 Jun 2016, 11:15 pm #49
(14 Jun 2016, 10:47 pm)R852 PRG All students at my school (which has held academy status since 2011) are expected to sort out their travel arrangements without the assistance of the establishment. I understand this has always been the case since it became a Comprehensive in 1976. Any dealings with the bus company that provide the scholars services are due to misbehaviour on these services, the need to view CCTV footage for any reason, and a few others that in the long run have nothing to do with the bus passes.

I'm not really concerned about the travel arrangements for children but more about the issue of a child fare pass. More of a concern is that children to not so involved parents are suffering when it would be a simple task for say a form tutor to take a picture of the children they are responsible for, email the file off to the issuing department and within a day or two the passes can be handed out to the children. Maybe I'm just a soft shite towards some of the uncared for children I've come across, but I don't see why if we can do this for OAP why we can't do it for these children.
Deleted
14 Jun 2016, 11:15 pm #49

(14 Jun 2016, 10:47 pm)R852 PRG All students at my school (which has held academy status since 2011) are expected to sort out their travel arrangements without the assistance of the establishment. I understand this has always been the case since it became a Comprehensive in 1976. Any dealings with the bus company that provide the scholars services are due to misbehaviour on these services, the need to view CCTV footage for any reason, and a few others that in the long run have nothing to do with the bus passes.

I'm not really concerned about the travel arrangements for children but more about the issue of a child fare pass. More of a concern is that children to not so involved parents are suffering when it would be a simple task for say a form tutor to take a picture of the children they are responsible for, email the file off to the issuing department and within a day or two the passes can be handed out to the children. Maybe I'm just a soft shite towards some of the uncared for children I've come across, but I don't see why if we can do this for OAP why we can't do it for these children.

Adrian

15 Jun 2016, 6:41 am #50
(14 Jun 2016, 10:37 pm)Deleted I would be disgusted if one of these acadamies could not organise the issue of pop/child fare passees to there children or are they customers now? It's a once a year activity apart from a few reissues for lost/defective cards. They would be little costs involved as it would be paid for by OAP passes not being valid when Children's passes are. Could even be a cost saving as less children could be travelling than OAPs would have in the time slot

They're customers. No longer is it a case you'd go to the school that you're in the catchment area of, but more so you've got a case of all academies in the area, competing for "business". Whether we like it or not, kids enrolled at the academy all come with a monetary value attached to them - i. e. What the academy receives for educating that kid.

Whether that is right or wrong is not really the point of this thread, but I hope it provides a bit of background as to why it's unlikely to happen. Although I do agree with you that it should be part and parcel of being enrolled in mandatory education.

Adrian
15 Jun 2016, 6:41 am #50

(14 Jun 2016, 10:37 pm)Deleted I would be disgusted if one of these acadamies could not organise the issue of pop/child fare passees to there children or are they customers now? It's a once a year activity apart from a few reissues for lost/defective cards. They would be little costs involved as it would be paid for by OAP passes not being valid when Children's passes are. Could even be a cost saving as less children could be travelling than OAPs would have in the time slot

They're customers. No longer is it a case you'd go to the school that you're in the catchment area of, but more so you've got a case of all academies in the area, competing for "business". Whether we like it or not, kids enrolled at the academy all come with a monetary value attached to them - i. e. What the academy receives for educating that kid.

Whether that is right or wrong is not really the point of this thread, but I hope it provides a bit of background as to why it's unlikely to happen. Although I do agree with you that it should be part and parcel of being enrolled in mandatory education.

Tamesider

15 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm #51
(14 Jun 2016, 10:24 pm)Deleted The trouble is quite a percentage of these children that are walking to school are just left to fend for themselves by the parents. Lots of children are brought up by parents that believe that any benifit they receive for the child is to be spent on alcohol, cigarettes or any other substance that they need to get-by. Thats why I believe that the schools should be responsible for the administration of child fare permits and they should be valid for free travel before and after school with the cost coming from the ENCTS budgets. 

I must admit that recently when travelling on buses at (pm) school times, kids haven't been as bad as in the past - but I put that down to where I live. I can't agree with the "rubbish" (ie. Metro newspapers) as this seems to depend more on the weather than anything - with soggy papers strewn everywhere by 0900 on a wet day, but still in the rack on dry days. Tickets strewn across the floor is very rare nowadays. As regards OAPs giving up their "entiltlement", you forget that many are travelling to/from medical appointments which dictate the times the travel. Also, justified or not, most feel they should be home before the kids come out of school at 1430, not just due to their perceived behaviour but because of the increase in traffic.
As with the Metro (Light rail not free paper) situation I raised earlier, I also suspect there are different Educational policies and budget responsibilities in different areas. In GM, school services are paid for out of the TFGM budget, alongside mainstream subsidised services, and in fact cost almost as much as the latter. The Local Education Authorities don't contribute in any way shape or form. Indeed, going back to the misbehaviour argument - the LEA's motto is "Nowt to do with us, once they are outside the school gates".
Tamesider
15 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm #51

(14 Jun 2016, 10:24 pm)Deleted The trouble is quite a percentage of these children that are walking to school are just left to fend for themselves by the parents. Lots of children are brought up by parents that believe that any benifit they receive for the child is to be spent on alcohol, cigarettes or any other substance that they need to get-by. Thats why I believe that the schools should be responsible for the administration of child fare permits and they should be valid for free travel before and after school with the cost coming from the ENCTS budgets. 

I must admit that recently when travelling on buses at (pm) school times, kids haven't been as bad as in the past - but I put that down to where I live. I can't agree with the "rubbish" (ie. Metro newspapers) as this seems to depend more on the weather than anything - with soggy papers strewn everywhere by 0900 on a wet day, but still in the rack on dry days. Tickets strewn across the floor is very rare nowadays. As regards OAPs giving up their "entiltlement", you forget that many are travelling to/from medical appointments which dictate the times the travel. Also, justified or not, most feel they should be home before the kids come out of school at 1430, not just due to their perceived behaviour but because of the increase in traffic.
As with the Metro (Light rail not free paper) situation I raised earlier, I also suspect there are different Educational policies and budget responsibilities in different areas. In GM, school services are paid for out of the TFGM budget, alongside mainstream subsidised services, and in fact cost almost as much as the latter. The Local Education Authorities don't contribute in any way shape or form. Indeed, going back to the misbehaviour argument - the LEA's motto is "Nowt to do with us, once they are outside the school gates".

Mark1

20 Jul 2016, 2:51 pm #52
The new timetable on the Nexus website for the 11 is misleading/inaccurate as it suggests daytime journeys commence from NT Hospital and not Whitley Bay town centre which is included on the timetable for journeys from the Metrocentre but not to the Metrocentre.
Mark1
20 Jul 2016, 2:51 pm #52

The new timetable on the Nexus website for the 11 is misleading/inaccurate as it suggests daytime journeys commence from NT Hospital and not Whitley Bay town centre which is included on the timetable for journeys from the Metrocentre but not to the Metrocentre.

citaro5284

20 Jul 2016, 4:27 pm #53
(20 Jul 2016, 2:51 pm)Mark1 The new timetable on the Nexus website for the 11 is misleading/inaccurate as it suggests daytime journeys commence from NT Hospital and not Whitley Bay town centre which is included on the timetable for journeys from the Metrocentre but not to the Metrocentre.

Aye, thats clever like.  

http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/fi...240716.pdf
citaro5284
20 Jul 2016, 4:27 pm #53

(20 Jul 2016, 2:51 pm)Mark1 The new timetable on the Nexus website for the 11 is misleading/inaccurate as it suggests daytime journeys commence from NT Hospital and not Whitley Bay town centre which is included on the timetable for journeys from the Metrocentre but not to the Metrocentre.

Aye, thats clever like.  

http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/fi...240716.pdf

Andreos1

28 Jul 2016, 8:05 pm #54
(13 Jun 2016, 3:24 pm)Michael have your say

Review of local transport services in Tyne and Wear

http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/fi...rvices.pdf

Survey link - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/NexusServiceReview

Just to add to what has already been said about the survey and the reach, Nexus are sending a link to the survey, via email.

Andreos1
28 Jul 2016, 8:05 pm #54

(13 Jun 2016, 3:24 pm)Michael have your say

Review of local transport services in Tyne and Wear

http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/fi...rvices.pdf

Survey link - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/NexusServiceReview

Just to add to what has already been said about the survey and the reach, Nexus are sending a link to the survey, via email.

Andreos1

19 Dec 2016, 10:34 am #55
Whilst looking for something else, I came across these.
Just a sample, but interesting.
Included, are details of funds paid out for Metro closures and also Quaylink reimbursements.
There are more available to find online.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/fi...202016.pdf

Andreos1
19 Dec 2016, 10:34 am #55

Whilst looking for something else, I came across these.
Included, are details of funds paid out for Metro closures and also Quaylink reimbursements.

Mark1

19 Dec 2016, 10:54 am #56
(19 Dec 2016, 10:34 am)Andreos1 Whilst looking for something else, I came across these.

Can metro tickets still be used on the Quaylinks now that Go North East run them commercially?
Mark1
19 Dec 2016, 10:54 am #56

(19 Dec 2016, 10:34 am)Andreos1 Whilst looking for something else, I came across these.

Can metro tickets still be used on the Quaylinks now that Go North East run them commercially?

Andreos1

19 Dec 2016, 11:08 am #57
(19 Dec 2016, 10:54 am)Mark1 Can metro tickets still be used on the Quaylinks now that Go North East run them commercially?

You certainly can.
http://www.nexus.org.uk/metrosaver-0

Only found after checking mind. I wasn't sure if the payments made by Nexus was for a period (some sort of overlap), but it appears not.

Andreos1
19 Dec 2016, 11:08 am #57

(19 Dec 2016, 10:54 am)Mark1 Can metro tickets still be used on the Quaylinks now that Go North East run them commercially?

You certainly can.

Only found after checking mind. I wasn't sure if the payments made by Nexus was for a period (some sort of overlap), but it appears not.

Mark1

19 Dec 2016, 11:21 am #58
(19 Dec 2016, 11:08 am)Andreos1 You certainly can.

I'm surprised its not better publicised from both Nexus and Go North East. Its an extra benefit and incentive for people buying Metro tickets while for GNE its additional revenue and once people are on the bus they can promote the full Quaylink and other GNE services to potential passengers.
Mark1
19 Dec 2016, 11:21 am #58

(19 Dec 2016, 11:08 am)Andreos1 You certainly can.

I'm surprised its not better publicised from both Nexus and Go North East. Its an extra benefit and incentive for people buying Metro tickets while for GNE its additional revenue and once people are on the bus they can promote the full Quaylink and other GNE services to potential passengers.

Andreos1

20 Dec 2016, 8:47 am #59
(19 Dec 2016, 11:21 am)Mark1 I'm surprised its not better publicised from both Nexus and Go North East. Its an extra benefit and incentive for people buying Metro tickets while for GNE its additional revenue and once people are on the bus they can promote the full Quaylink and other GNE services to potential passengers.

Yeah, it's a strange one and I wonder if there's some politics involved somewhere. 
Although there's mention if you dig, it's very rare for a bus operator to mention Transfares, Day Rovers etc. I wonder if this ticket falls in to the same category?
Even though it may assist the travelling public by advertising the multi-journey options, it would make sense the bus operators push their own tickets, where they keep 100% of the revenue - rather than pushing a multi-journey ticket like the Metrosaver and others.
Edited 20 Dec 2016, 8:47 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
20 Dec 2016, 8:47 am #59

(19 Dec 2016, 11:21 am)Mark1 I'm surprised its not better publicised from both Nexus and Go North East. Its an extra benefit and incentive for people buying Metro tickets while for GNE its additional revenue and once people are on the bus they can promote the full Quaylink and other GNE services to potential passengers.

Yeah, it's a strange one and I wonder if there's some politics involved somewhere. 
Although there's mention if you dig, it's very rare for a bus operator to mention Transfares, Day Rovers etc. I wonder if this ticket falls in to the same category?
Even though it may assist the travelling public by advertising the multi-journey options, it would make sense the bus operators push their own tickets, where they keep 100% of the revenue - rather than pushing a multi-journey ticket like the Metrosaver and others.

Mark1

16 Feb 2017, 9:26 am #60
Has anyone tried the new Live Travel map on the Nexus website. Its a big improvement on its predecessor with the inclusion of real time departures on most services. However in classic Nexus style they make it unnecessarily difficult with for instance the terminus of GNE services 5 and 88 is East Street instead of the more simple South Shields Town Centre/ASDA.

Its an improvement hopefully real time Metro information will be made available soon.
Mark1
16 Feb 2017, 9:26 am #60

Has anyone tried the new Live Travel map on the Nexus website. Its a big improvement on its predecessor with the inclusion of real time departures on most services. However in classic Nexus style they make it unnecessarily difficult with for instance the terminus of GNE services 5 and 88 is East Street instead of the more simple South Shields Town Centre/ASDA.

Its an improvement hopefully real time Metro information will be made available soon.

Pages (7): Previous 1 2 3 47 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average